HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
I've only seen the first season of Breaking Bad a few years ago. Going to start watching it in a couple of days and hopefully catch up in time for the finale.

Seen more of Dexter, but only up to the season with John Lithgow. Is it really bad now?

Old
09-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Dexter is so bad its not even funny. Used to be my favorite show but has really gone downhill, this season is the worst
I really don't understand why you say that. The one thing I like about the show is the progression.

Old
09-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

Stopped watching Dexter after the John Lithgow season. It was pretty bad.

Old
09-10-2013, 04:10 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Dexter always was a one plot line pony. A storyline (Dexter doing his thing and trying to get away with it) is interesting. B, C, D, E storylines stunningly boring. Seasons one, two and four (four is the Lithgow season) were good; it's been a chore to watch after that, and I say that as someone whose friend was a writer on a later season. Dexter and Breaking Bad aren't comparable. It's like a decent juniors team against the single greatest hockey team to ever lace it up. You can't even put them in the same sentence in terms of quality in literally every single way good television/film is judged: writing, acting, plotting, pacing, directing, cinematography, drama, tension, and theme. In none of these categories can Dexter remotely compare.

Dexter is at least better than Walking Dead, which is really the most overrated TV show of at least the past two decades, maybe of all time. Watched the entire first two seasons and so bored to tears I could not name a single character if pressed (and the characters are so paint-by-numbers caricature anyway).

Luther is back. Now that's a good show. Idris Elba is the ****.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
I'm a big bang theory kind of guy .

Old
09-10-2013, 11:13 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I really don't understand why you say that. The one thing I like about the show is the progression.
Everything about it this season has been bad IMO. Especially the writing, nothing happens and its just boring. Not to mention how sloppy it is, so many holes. The final season should have been Miami Metro finding out who he is and chasing him down not this bogus idea of him and Vogel(who the original Dexter never would have trusted and killed immediately), taking on an apprentice, and Hanna coming back. Not to mention he has only killed 1 person this whole season and he wasnt even on his table. So many stupid other story lines that have nothing to do with anything too.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Everyone's sitting here talking about Breaking Bad, Dexter and Sons of Anarchy, and I'm just chilling over here thinking Top Gear is the best show on TV. (The British version obviously)

Old
09-10-2013, 01:19 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Justified is the second best show currently active. Archer, Arrested Development and Louie are the three best comedies currently active.

Old
09-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Justified is the second best show currently active. Archer, Arrested Development and Louie are the three best comedies currently active.
Justified is boring as can be.

Old
09-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Dexter always was a one plot line pony. A storyline (Dexter doing his thing and trying to get away with it) is interesting. B, C, D, E storylines stunningly boring. Seasons one, two and four (four is the Lithgow season) were good; it's been a chore to watch after that, and I say that as someone whose friend was a writer on a later season. Dexter and Breaking Bad aren't comparable. It's like a decent juniors team against the single greatest hockey team to ever lace it up. You can't even put them in the same sentence in terms of quality in literally every single way good television/film is judged: writing, acting, plotting, pacing, directing, cinematography, drama, tension, and theme. In none of these categories can Dexter remotely compare.

Dexter is at least better than Walking Dead, which is really the most overrated TV show of at least the past two decades, maybe of all time. Watched the entire first two seasons and so bored to tears I could not name a single character if pressed (and the characters are so paint-by-numbers caricature anyway).

Luther is back. Now that's a good show. Idris Elba is the ****.
I think BB is a one plot pony. DEA Brother is smart yet naive, while continuously one step away from catching brother in law. Simultaneously, Walt lets his ego get him closer to caught, only to use his smarts at the last minute to get himself out of trouble. Lets sprinkle in an idiotic move by Jesse periodically just for good measure.

Old
09-10-2013, 05:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Not sure if anyone plays NHL 14, but I think EA finally got the player ratings for the Blues this time. Petro is a 90, Backes is 87, Shatty and Jaybo are 86's, and we have a bunch of 85's.

Old
09-10-2013, 06:35 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
After Breaking Bad, I don't have another current drama I'm interested in. Next best show on TV is probably Parks and Recreation. (I'm watching season 5 of Fringe on video, and its "OK" but sometimes disappointing.)

OK, I guess that's not strictly true if you count Game of Thrones.

Old
09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
KirkOut

The way BB is woven together so perfectly in terms of seemingly insignificant details from earlier seasons/episodes coming back into prominence and various storylines/character progressions unfolding so intertwined is pretty incredible to watch. I can't wait to see how it ends.

Old
09-10-2013, 08:37 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Not sure if anyone plays NHL 14, but I think EA finally got the player ratings for the Blues this time. Petro is a 90, Backes is 87, Shatty and Jaybo are 86's, and we have a bunch of 85's.
I was surprised to see Frank's face.

Old
09-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Alklha

Got Breaking Bad, so I start watching tomorrow

Cards & Brewers scoreless going into the bottom of the 6th. Considering what we done to Peralta earlier in the year (22 hits & 12 runs in 9.1 innings, at least 1 hit in every inning), a little frustrating that he has a no-hitter going after 5.

Edit: Well Holliday quickly kills the no-hitter with a 2 run shot

Last edited by Alklha: 09-10-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old
09-10-2013, 09:15 PM
SirPaste

NHL 14 is so much better than last year, im loving it

Old
09-10-2013, 09:33 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
NHL 14 is so much better than last year, im loving it
The hits in 14 are awesome, but so far in every game I have a ton and the computer barely has any. I'm good with that, but at least in 13 it was more even.

When you hit with Reaves, it's like it's the NHL Hitz game. He just sends people flying across the ice.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:33 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I was surprised to see Frank's face.
Me too. Tarasenko actually develops in '14 also! In '13 the best I ever got him to was like 85 overall despite him having great potential. He's an 88 in my fifth year of GM mode. He still never seems to put up many points though

Old
09-10-2013, 09:36 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Me too. Tarasenko actually develops in '14 also! In '13 the best I ever got him to was like 85 overall despite him having great potential. He's an 88 in my fifth year of GM mode. He still never seems to put up many points though
Crap dude, the game just came out today, slow down.

As for 13, I always got him developed fast. He'd get to 86 or 87 after the first year, and depending on how he performed, I'd get him into the low 90s.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:04 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Crap dude, the game just came out today, slow down.

As for 13, I always got him developed fast. He'd get to 86 or 87 after the first year, and depending on how he performed, I'd get him into the low 90s.
A store actually sold it to me on Saturday

Old
09-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Not liking the way the simming in NHL 14 goes.

Put together the worst possible team and still posting a positive record
come on..

Old
09-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I think BB is a one plot pony. DEA Brother is smart yet naive, while continuously one step away from catching brother in law. Simultaneously, Walt lets his ego get him closer to caught, only to use his smarts at the last minute to get himself out of trouble. Lets sprinkle in an idiotic move by Jesse periodically just for good measure.
Not even close. First off, if its character progression you want, no show compares to the progression of BB characters. The only show I have found to be close to having the same level of progression is Sopranos, and its still really not that close. When BB started, Walt was the protagonist, the guy who was just trying to leave his family with some money before he died. As the show progresses you start to see the money and power truly corrupt walt, and heisenberg starts emerging. The same progression is there with almost every character, Jesse goes from bumbling low level drug peddler, into a truly complicated, compassionate, and broken individual, broken thanks in large part due to heisenberg. Hank starts as the antagonist, but as the show develops you realize he is the most well intentioned character on the show, he is the only one motivated to do good. Skylar's transformation might be the most shocking, as she was directly influenced by heisenberg, he ****ed with her mind more than any other character and has really turned her into a female heisenberg. I could go on about Breaking Bad all day, but it may be falling on deaf ears because after reading your post it seems you didn't make it past the 1st season.

Also, I thinks it's important to note that Dexter has a much longer time slot, which would seemingly lead to deeper, more complex character progression. Sadly, with Dexter, this does not seem to be the case.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
The first three arrested development seasons were epic. The new one is terrible.

Old
09-11-2013, 10:13 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
Not liking the way the simming in NHL 14 goes.

Put together the worst possible team and still posting a positive record
come on..
At least it doesnt take half an hour to simulate 3 games like it did in 13. Anyway Schwartz is a beast, only 78 but he is so fast, he is unstoppable.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:24 PM
BadgersandBlues

I just got NHL 14, having fun with it. Didn't play 13, so the new skating physics are taking some getting used to. My first goal was a sick snipe by Schwartz over Jimmy Howard's blocker assisted by Sobotka and Tank......good fun.

I love Archer. The League is also hilariously funny, especially if you like football/fantasy football.

I'm a big fan of the Newsroom. Not as good this season as in season 1, but still a good show. Game of Thrones is getting slow and boring, just like the books did =/

Closed Thread