Old
04-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberdachen View Post
Anyways, Wild need to do this type of training:
It's snake whacking week on the Simpsons mobile game!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Uberdachen
Posts Last 5 Minutes

Also, Koivu pointless since this thread:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1391533

Time to create some main board appreciation threads for hot-streak-players on teams we're about to play?

Uberdachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Giles Ferrell
#believeinyeo

Quote:

Time to create some main board appreciation threads for hot-streak-players on teams we're about to play?
So many shots passed up on the power play. Mikko needs to learn how to shoot!

Giles Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:55 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:

Parise hasn't scored a goal since that thread either. Apparently he cannot do it on his own.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Loopy0ne
tastes like burning

vCash: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post
Way too many top line/pairing players without size, in a conference loaded with it. Size with skill, just Mikko and Coyle. On defense, zip. Undersized means lost battles behind the nets, along the boards, out front, on both ends of the ice.

Perhaps the Wild can ask to be re-aligned as an eastern conference team.
Unfortunately, this - and it doesn't look like it will change within a few years.

Loopy0ne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Fallenity

Have to note that other teams also have a tough schedule, I think Anaheim has gone over a month without having any extra days off, just games every second day with lots of back-to-backs mixed in. It has started to show in their game also.

Anyway, regarding the Wild, one of the biggest issues is that Yeo isn't willing to change the lines at all, especially during games. Some other coaches seem to use random.org for their lines when things go badly, but Yeo sticks with them through thick and thin. Maybe it's to try and create chemistry, maybe not. But I also think Wild have been rather unlucky the last couple of games, not a lot of bounces going their way in the offensive end.

But it's the defensive turnovers and coverage losses that are actually killing them, plus overplaying Bäcks.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:04 PM
mnwild

vCash: 50
Need some new power play strategies. The slow motion umbrella, then trying to thread the needle crap rinse wash repeat isn't working.

Not enough patience/creativity in the neutral zone

No decent backup to help backstrom

*typical minnesota pro sports team

mnwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Want to help Backstrom? Score some ****ing goals for gods sake!!!!!!

Backstrom should not be mentioned at all in a "what's wrong with the Wild" thread, Jesus ****ing Christ do people want Backs to skate the puck up the ice and bury it?

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Have to note that other teams also have a tough schedule, I think Anaheim has gone over a month without having any extra days off, just games every second day with lots of back-to-backs mixed in. It has started to show in their game also.

Anyway, regarding the Wild, one of the biggest issues is that Yeo isn't willing to change the lines at all, especially during games. Some other coaches seem to use random.org for their lines when things go badly, but Yeo sticks with them through thick and thin. Maybe it's to try and create chemistry, maybe not. But I also think Wild have been rather unlucky the last couple of games, not a lot of bounces going their way in the offensive end.

But it's the defensive turnovers and coverage losses that are actually killing them, plus overplaying Bäcks.
I've always been a subscriber of the saying "Hard work creates luck." Lately the Wild have been out worked... a lot. Last night they actually outworked the Blues, most the game. Last night I think they were unlucky, to a point. But with the cynergy so bad right now in our lines, offensive chances no matter how hard they work, just aren't happening. The goals they scored on us, were mostly bad luck on our part, but still if you hold a team to 2 goals or less, you're supposed to be in a position to win those games. You can't win any, when you can't score even once.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Well one thing we needed to do was add some life back in the lineup, and recalling Zucker today was just what the doctor ordered. Look out Columbus, Storm Zucker is bearing down on you.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post
Way too many top line/pairing players without size, in a conference loaded with it. Size with skill, just Mikko and Coyle. On defense, zip. Undersized means lost battles behind the nets, along the boards, out front, on both ends of the ice.

Perhaps the Wild can ask to be re-aligned as an eastern conference team.
I thought it would've been really cool if the Wild could have swapped schedules with Winnipeg for this year. Wonder if anyone in the Wild organization had the same idea.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:15 PM
BigT2002

Not in any order:

- We are not a physical team. In fact complete opposite. We don't really hit and rely very heavily on takeaways because our forechecking is horrid

- The Defense is probably going into the playoffs as the weakest of the 8 right now

- No sure fire #2 center on the team with Cullen injured. Basically no middle ground between veterans and youth outside of the top line

- Backstrom is playing way, way too much right now

- Players like Brodziak, Clutterbuck who were once relied on to be secondary scoring aren't even remotely close to hitting anything relevant to a shot on goal

-

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:16 PM
rynryn
Reluctant Optimist

whats wrong with the wild? crap fans, overly sensitive players.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
vitogor

What's wrong with the Wild, you ask? We are a Matt Cullen(!) injury away from going into a tailspin, that's what's wrong.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:57 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

We need a retool.. Clean up the back, and clean up front.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:30 PM
saywut

The problems are much the same as last year, lack of skill, lack of depth, lack of speed, and its compounded by injuries. Fletcher thought he fixed the lack of skill with his big offseason signings of Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, but there's still not enough talent on this team. Fletcher thought he fixed the depth problem with the addition of many highly touted 20 year olds into the NA pro game, coupled with the signings of Mitchell, Konopka, and Dowell. But we still lack depth, one guy goes down and we've got no answer to it. As for depth on defense, Fletcher banked on Scandella/Gilbert being an effective 2nd pairing but ones in the minors and the other has watched a few from the pressbox as a healthy scratch. We're extremely fortunate that Jonas Brodin has emerged, just don't have the answer for a 2nd projected top-4 guy not being able to contribute.

Awfully hard to fix all these problems when you consider the cap situation that Fletcher has put us in.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:35 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 55
-Defense. It's quite bad outside of Suter-Brodin. It would be nice if they wouldn't have to play the whole game, it will eventually start to wear on them. I think it's already starting to happen, it would be nice to have another pair we can rely on.

-Poor PP. No movement, too predictable, too much passing and not enough shooting, and if it is, it's usually from Suter or Spurg. With an extra guy we should be able to create a good scoring opportunity.

-Backs is playing a lot, he's been great for the most part. But, it's hard to ride a goalie that much with such a tough schedule and not expect him to wear down. And it's not like he's got a great defense in front of him.

-Matt Cullen is hurt.

-PMB isn't very good.

-Zucker was sent down.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Being so sensitive to a single player getting hurt, which makes or breaks our team is troubling. Other teams see this trend, and in the playoffs, certain key players for us will just have a bullseye on their backs. Opposing teams will just zero in on taking out one or two of our key guys, and our wheels fall off. Injuries are part of the game, heck even coach Yeo says that from time to time. But boy this team has a glass jaw when it comes to injuries. One guy gets hurt, and suddenly entire lines, multiple lines even stop working all together. I don't think I've ever seen such a thing.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
We need a retool.. Clean up the back, and clean up front.
Man-scaping.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:39 AM
10dynasty38*

I've watched hockey in Minnesota since I was a youngster about 8 years old. Almost 35 years now. I loved the North Stars and attached myself to the Wild. In those 35 years of watching hockey I don't recall ever seeing such a lifeless heartless ununified bunch as this sorry excuse for a team.

This is the most talented team I have seen assembled for quite sometime. The only players that seem to give a **** are Parise Koivu Cullen and a couple of the youngsters. Maybe Suter, I haven't deceided yet. Fletch has done a great job at assembling talent but none of the players seem to have any heart.

I witnessed Heatley getting ***** in SJ with minimal response. In 85 the entire team would of been off the bench suspensions be damned to come to the defense of a teammate. Not now, not this lifeless bunch of overpaid sissies. What is wrong with the Wild? They have no identity.

10dynasty38* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:57 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Fletcher panicked and put more pressure on this team and organization this season with his acquisition of Pom.

Defense coming into this season was shaky to begin with and has been brutally exposed in the past few weeks.

Coaching staff is young, raw, and really isn't able to handle this sort of pressure.

No secondary scoring.

No backup goaltender (Backstrom and ??? Kuemper has no experience. Harding is coming off of not playing since when? February and before that probably a year ago. 4 games games played this year), so we are forced to play Backstrom constantly, wearing him down.

No PP.

No physical presence. Teams like St. Louis, Los Angeles, Anaheim, and Chicago can play Minnesota very physical and Minnesota just takes it.

I feel this is similar to the teams Gaborik had when going into the playoffs. Lack of depth.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:44 AM
57special

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Not in any order:

- We are not a physical team. In fact complete opposite. We don't really hit and rely very heavily on takeaways because our forechecking is horrid

- The Defense is probably going into the playoffs as the weakest of the 8 right now

- No sure fire #2 center on the team with Cullen injured. Basically no middle ground between veterans and youth outside of the top line

- Backstrom is playing way, way too much right now

- Players like Brodziak, Clutterbuck who were once relied on to be secondary scoring aren't even remotely close to hitting anything relevant to a shot on goal

-
Agree with all of this.

I will add that the Wild have a LOT of new pieces that they didn't have the opportunity to work in training camp, whereas most of their opponents have had their core pieces playing together for years. To expect them to be at the level of Chicago is unrealistic.

Next year should be better, and the year after that I expect them be in serious contention for the Cup as long as they avoid serious injuries to key players and their young players develop as they are supposed to, I.e. Dumba, Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, etc..

I think the management and owner have to be patient and not try to overplay Suter, Parise, Brodin, Backstrom and Koivu in a misguided attempt to make it all happen prematurely. That will only result in breakdowns and injuries.

Mitchell has been a nice find this year. Brodziak should be better next year... I think the extended off season threw him off. Clutterbuck I'm not sure about. I wonder if he's hurting? They need at least one D man to step up from within their organization next year. Scandella has all the tools... Really puzzling what has happened with him.

It's not a big deal, but I don't get the point of playing Rupp and Konopka together on a regular shift. Ideally it would be Clutterbuck replacing one of them, or some young guy from the AHL who's got some muscle but can actually play? Keep Rupp on the bench till there is some fighting to do.

So I'm pessimistic (I call it realistic) in the short term, but optimistic for the future of the Wild in the medium term. They aren't that far away, unless our prospects don't develop at all a la Sheperd. I think the team is on the right path.

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Next year will be a bigger test than this year IMO. We'll play Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis on a much more frequent basis. Teams like this will destroy us if we don't have players that stick up for each other and can take big hits from time to time. I would love to see guys like Granlund and Spurgeon put on 15-20 pounds of muscle in the off season.

Send them up to Brock Lesnar's gym in Alexandria for conditioning.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:22 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
This thread is hilarious!!! I'm very confident the Wild turn things around, starting tonight.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 04:24 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
This thread is hilarious!!! I'm very confident the Wild turn things around, starting tonight.
Problem is, they are backing into the playoffs. With the injuries starting to build, it looks like a typical Minnesota year.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote