HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#1 Thing you will be looking for next season

Old
05-13-2013, 06:47 PM
LeapOnOver

vCash: 500
#1 Thing you will be looking for next season

Thought it'd be interesting that with a close of a season what people think will be the most important thing they will be watching for next season with this team. Please only try to list the one most important thing to you. Here's mine:

Josh Bailey: Yes, I've called him Failey in the past and I still am not convinced he can play a full season effectively because he has yet to. He always mails in the first 40 games or so. This season with a lockout it was a little different, but still he didn't play the whole season well. So I will be watching this kid very closely because to me it is a make or break year for him. We kind of say that every year about Bailey and Okposo, but if Bailey falters next season I won't be saying it 2014, I'll be hoping to see him in a different jersey....

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Thought it'd be interesting that with a close of a season what people think will be the most important thing they will be watching for next season with this team. Please only try to list the one most important thing to you. Here's mine:

Josh Bailey: Yes, I've called him Failey in the past and I still am not convinced he can play a full season effectively because he has yet to. He always mails in the first 40 games or so. This season with a lockout it was a little different, but still he didn't play the whole season well. So I will be watching this kid very closely because to me it is a make or break year for him. We kind of say that every year about Bailey and Okposo, but if Bailey falters next season I won't be saying it 2014, I'll be hoping to see him in a different jersey....
playoffs

Fantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:17 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

Playoffs as well.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:26 PM
giddy up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
playoffs
Winning a playoff round

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:33 PM
scott99

It goes hand in hand, but hopefully with improved defense, our goaltending will be better. That's what I'm hoping for, improved defense/lower goals against. Obviously we have a good offense already.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:37 PM
RMimagery

Either Wang selling or investing in this quality team adding two solid UFA's (which will only increase the team's value).

It's time to capitalize on the slow rebuild. The team deserves a passionate owner who wants to win.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:35 PM
JeffNYI

That we swing for the fences to add one marquee player.

First line forward, top d-man, or goalie. Doesn't matter who.

Via trade, RFA or UFA. Doesn't matter how.

Just show me, you and the entire NHL that we're truly not screwing around next season.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:36 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Okposo: will he work in the off season with his sport psychologist ? Will he put more effort into his offseason conditioning, so he comes into camp in better shape then previous seasons? Can he carry his postseason play, over into the regular season?

I think Okposo playing well, takes pressure off JT, who's been doing most of the heavy lifting alone.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Potvinscup5

I think the isles will get some old quality players in the offseason. Slowly but surely the transition from Nassau to Brooklyn will certainly entice more players to come here coupled with the impressive playoff series

Potvinscup5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Islanderfan17

Making the playoffs without having to battle it out to the very last couple of games. This team now knows that all you need is your ticket to the dance and then anything can happen. They need to realize how important it is to put yourself in good position early in the season, no slow starts.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:03 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

This is the year to make a major move in the offseason. We have a mid-1st and a lot of expendable prospects. It's time to get JT his winger, a young top-4 defenseman with top-2 potential, or a young starting goaltender. I'm looking for one of these moves to be made.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:10 PM
miscreant
Charles in Charge!

Goals Against Average

We're going to score goals with our puck possession game. But we'll really have to tighten up with team defense if we're going to take the next step. Nabby was shaky but just too many easy scoring chances given up vs. Pitt. We finished 21st in GAA this year. Not expecting top 10 but would love to see us in the 11-13 range next year.

miscreant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:15 PM
ScaredStreit

I'm honestly surprised at how many people think we can make the playoffs easily. Playoffs next year comes down to this:

The top 3 teams out of us and:

Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, Jersey, NY Rangers, Carolina, Columbus--that's a VERY tough division. And even if we're competing for TWO wild card spots, we have an extra 2 teams to leap frog compared to the West.

With an aging Nabby-I'd be shocked if we make the playoffs unless we get better in the off-season.

ScaredStreit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:16 PM
smheilbron

with next years format, they wouldnt even have made it this year. wont be easy

smheilbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

A decision as to who is the #1 goalie (for the foreseeable future)

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:51 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

damn, that playoff format is very tough....

i am looking for an impact trade during the draft or at some point in the offseason to bring that physical power winger for JT

we simply have to be willing to trade assets to do so......if JT continues to be the main wall guy on his line then this team will be stagnant....with strome, brock, reinhart and donovan being untouchable IMO, we still have pieces we can ship out for IMPACT top 6 players (Nino, kabanov, mayfield, de haan, bailey, etc.), especially with the lowering cap

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:50 AM
TXNYI

Easy one: Plane tickets to NY. Gotta finally see a game at the Coliseum before the move.

TXNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:07 AM
giddy up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
damn, that playoff format is very tough....

i am looking for an impact trade during the draft or at some point in the offseason to bring that physical power winger for JT

we simply have to be willing to trade assets to do so......if JT continues to be the main wall guy on his line then this team will be stagnant....with strome, brock, reinhart and donovan being untouchable IMO, we still have pieces we can ship out for IMPACT top 6 players (Nino, kabanov, mayfield, de haan, bailey, etc.), especially with the lowering cap
Horton as UFA?

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
As Charlie Sheen so aptly and succinctly phrased it: winning.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:43 AM
OlTimeHockey

old reclamation project or former top pick rejected by two clubs.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:25 AM
bigd

A real #1 goalie. Nabokov won't get us any deeper into the playoffs than he did this year. I really don't think our defense was that bad but I do think we could get a little bigger on the back end. The main reason the Rangers are moving on and we aren't is goaltending.

Last edited by bigd: 05-14-2013 at 06:44 AM.
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:52 AM
Dan-o16

The question is a bit ambiguous, so a three part answer:

1. Transition from a rebuild to building a contender.
2. Get into the playoffs solidly - not by the skin of our teeth.
3. Win at least one round.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:40 AM
the sweetener

No slump. the last few season have had a slump in there at some point. the team cant win every game but they need to learn how to not let a a loss or 2 turn into a long losing streak. that consistency will be what shows theyve taken the next step and can consistently make the playoffs

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
Winning a playoff round
I came to post this as well.

We need a better winger for Tavares on either side. Someone. Someone from the system. A signing. A trade. Probably not a draft pick from this upcoming draft or a waiver wire pickup.

They should expect to win a round. Heck, we could have beaten the Caps like the Rags did this year.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:30 AM
rikker
fan since '75.

if we assume that our UFA's are gone.... Streit, Boyes, Nabby...

goaltending is the biggest concern. the most important position, and we would NEED an experienced vet if we want to sniff the playoffs again. i like the potential of Poulin and Nilsson, but they are no where near ready. even with a Bernier or Khudobin, it's very risky. someone more experienced, like Smith, would be needed, but if he is a 'bad apple/cancer', then it's not going to help much.

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote