Huge blow to our team, Roman Turek leaves Flames

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2005, 11:10 AM
King_Brown

vCash: 500
Huge blow to our team, Roman Turek leaves Flames

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=122468

Wow thats huge, we had pretty much the best one two punch in net, and now hes gone.

Sutter is going to have to get a experinced backup for Kipper. Its just like the QB position in football, everyone has there starter, but every team always wants that great backup.

Depth is think at the postion, Brent Krahn is not ready to backup, and Danny Sabourin is wack.

Old
04-22-2005, 11:25 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Dany Sabourin isn't even with the team, hasn't been for a year.

This isn't a huge blow to the team, we lost our boneafide backup, nor our #1 starter.

Old
04-22-2005, 11:29 AM
King_Brown

I'd say its a huge blow, Turek was probablly the best backup in the NHL, and he excelled in that role. He would easily won 8-12 games had he played 16-18 games.

Old
04-22-2005, 11:36 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
I'd say its a huge blow, Turek was probablly the best backup in the NHL, and he excelled in that role. He would easily won 8-12 games had he played 16-18 games.
So you're saying Roman Turek could have won up to half of the games he played in?

Ya, huge loss.

Old
04-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Phaneuf*

I can see a Dafoe type guy coming in.

Old
04-22-2005, 12:23 PM
kolanos

Turek really proved himself to be a team player when he agreed to restructure his contract to make room for Kiprusoff. But I think the Flames fans turning on him really hurt him and I don't blame him for leaving.

That being said, depth-wise I think Krahn could be ready for backup duty at the NHL-level. Whether Sutter will only use him for 10-15 games is really the question, whether Sutter sees Krahn as the Flames future starter or not. Krahn is getting up there in years and still hasn't seen a lot of NHL duty, and he hasn't solidified himself as a starter since playing with the Hitmen. You have to wonder whether he's starter material, even after he's gotten his development back on track.

Old
04-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
Depth is think at the postion, Brent Krahn is not ready to backup, and Danny Sabourin is wack.
You obviously aren't very up to date with the Flames as Sabourin is in the Pittsburgh organization.

But I do agree with you that Krahn is not ready to back up.

Old
04-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
That being said, depth-wise I think Krahn could be ready for backup duty at the NHL-level. Whether Sutter will only use him for 10-15 games is really the question, whether Sutter sees Krahn as the Flames future starter or not. Krahn is getting up there in years and still hasn't seen a lot of NHL duty, and he hasn't solidified himself as a starter since playing with the Hitmen. You have to wonder whether he's starter material, even after he's gotten his development back on track.
If you believe Krahn is ready to back up then you must be comfortable with him starting if Kiprusoff went down to injury and having McElhinney/Parley/Centomo as the backup.

I wouldn't be comfortable with that situation. We need another keeper with NHL experience. Injuries are almost inevitable.

Krahn hasn't even started a full year in pro hockey yet.

Old
04-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Badger Bob

Not a huge loss at all. If anything, it saves the club more money. Finding a capable and experienced backup, with a reasonable price tag, shouldn't be that difficult of a task.

Old
04-22-2005, 12:38 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Not a huge loss at all. If anything, it saves the club more money. Finding a capable and experienced backup, with a reasonable price tag, shouldn't be that difficult of a task.
How do you figure it saves money? Turek was going to make $1 million this year because of his new contract from last year. To me, you won't be able to find a suitable backup for $1 million. If anything, it will cost more if the Flames dip into the UFA market for a goalie.

Old
04-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
How do you figure it saves money? Turek was going to make $1 million this year because of his new contract from last year. To me, you won't be able to find a suitable backup for $1 million. If anything, it will cost more if the Flames dip into the UFA market for a goalie.
I think you've got your numbers wrong.

Old
04-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Wags

$1 million is correct (or at least damn close)...just a ton of incentive bonuses...I agree that this hurts, especially after him restructuring his contract. I think he showed incredible respect for the organization, his teammates, and the fans by doing that.

Old
04-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Badger Bob

The first year is wiped out because the lost season. He would've made more than $1 million in years 2 & 3 of the restructured 3-year deal. The original contract had two years remaining for $10 million. If anybody knows better, what Turek would've made, feel free to post the figures.

Old
04-22-2005, 01:15 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Krahn hasn't even started a full year in pro hockey yet.
That's kind of my point, he hasn't been a starter for a long time now and you have to wonder whether he's starter material at all. What I am saying, is maybe instead of waiting for him to solidify himself as a starter (which may never happen), we give him 10-15 NHL games as a backup and see how he does.

I agree, we could use another McLennan, a veteran who can step in when needed. But that being said, you have to wonder when Krahn will be ready even for minimal NHL duty -- the guy is 23, hasn't seen a single NHL game yet. Sure, ideally, you would hand him a starting role in Omaha next year, but if you ask me the guy should have to earn those roles. I thought he was on the verge of it this year, but really lost his steam after that string of shutouts and Ward just outplayed him though the heart of the schedule.

Old
04-22-2005, 01:50 PM
ukstipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
You obviously aren't very up to date with the Flames as Sabourin is in the Pittsburgh organization.
i love the calm understated tone.....i think this dude is "wack"

Old
04-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Eddie Vedder

Turek just did you guys a huge favour. A back up isnt a big issue, theres many feasible options out there for way cheaper then Roman. The cap room you guys just got for people like iginla is much more valuable.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:10 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
The first year is wiped out because the lost season. He would've made more than $1 million in years 2 & 3 of the restructured 3-year deal. The original contract had two years remaining for $10 million. If anybody knows better, what Turek would've made, feel free to post the figures.
That is very wrong. Turek contract was no where near 10 million after he redid it.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:38 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Actually it is a great gain for the Flames. They need to get Iggy signed and have one of their heaviest contracts off the books. Sign a cheap back up like Felix Potvin or cut a deal with the Rangers to bring Noodles back or Dunham over.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:39 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
Actually it is a great gain for the Flames. They need to get Iggy signed and have one of their heaviest contracts off the books. Sign a cheap back up like Felix Potvin or cut a deal with the Rangers to bring Noodles back or Dunham over.
Once again, how the hell is Turek contract heavy? He restructured it last year. Wow, do peopel even read?

Old
04-22-2005, 03:03 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Once again, how the hell is Turek contract heavy? He restructured it last year. Wow, do peopel even read?
Two million for a back up is heavy, you can't use NHLPA's 1 million quote because they have previously had it at two, they they aren't sure.

Two million for a back up, is heavy.

Old
04-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Jag68Sid87

Regardless of Turek's actual projected salary, it does help Calgary because in a salary-capped world, teams will be able to get backup netminders at a significant reduction in pricetag.

Otherwise, they're doing something wrong.

Old
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Tawnos

Can't really blame Turek there. The guy has the ability (read talent, doesn't necessarily have to happen) to be a number 1 in the NHL, but couldn't be traded and wasn't going to be starting in Calgary. His playoff failures have insured a bad reputation despite the fact that he was a pretty good regular season goalie (in 4 seasons as the number 1, he was a winner in 3).

Old
04-22-2005, 03:59 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Two million for a back up is heavy, you can't use NHLPA's 1 million quote because they have previously had it at two, they they aren't sure.

Two million for a back up, is heavy.
How do you figure? I don't see a reasonable #2 goalies as being below 1 million. If anything, a solid #2 goalie should be paid around 1-2 million, which is very reasonable compared to the % of say a 40 million cap and their role.

Any goalie nackup goalie below $1 million, will be relatively untested and not have the experience that Turek has. Add in the fact, Turek has #1 goalie experience as well..which really comes in handy. I don't see alot of the UFA goalies for next year that great, at least not at Turek's level and worth a $750,000-1,000,000 contract.

Possible UFAs:
JAMIE STORR
FRED BRATHWAITE
BYRON DAFOE
TREVOR KIDD
EMMANUEL FERNANDEZ - Wants a #1 goalie spot, don't see him as a backup
FELIX POTVIN -Don't see him signing for a small contract. Going to be around $2,000,000
and the list probably goes on. I don't see alot of quality guys there, that will sign for a small contract as well. Potvin would be nice but guys liek him will cost a Turek salary. If anything, we trade for a 27-28 year old backup...such as Boucher, Johnson, etc BUT it will cost the Flames an asset, which sux.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Le Golie

Garth Snow - Excellent team/community guy. Veteran leadership. Reliable. Cheap.

I don't care what anyone says, he couldn't have done any more for the Islanders over the past three years. He never won games on his own but he didn't lose them on his own either. That's all you can ask out of a guy like him.

Could be an option.

No matter how you slice it, losing Turek is not a huge loss for the Flames.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:32 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=122468
The agent for Roman Turek said there's no change in the goaltender's contract status with the Calgary Flames, despite a report to the contrary.

Closed Thread