HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Huge blow to our team, Roman Turek leaves Flames

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2005, 04:46 PM
  #26
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
That is very wrong.
and you're very annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Turek contract was no where near 10 million after he redid it.
The original contract had three years remaining at $10. Take your own advice, and learn how to read. You're more than welcome to educate the rest us on the stipulations of his restructured contract. Make some phone calls to your contacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
FRED BRATHWAITE
TREVOR KIDD
Oh, and you're funny too.


Last edited by Badger Bob: 04-22-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Badger Bob is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 05:09 PM
  #27
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie
Garth Snow - Excellent team/community guy. Veteran leadership. Reliable. Cheap.

I don't care what anyone says, he couldn't have done any more for the Islanders over the past three years. He never won games on his own but he didn't lose them on his own either. That's all you can ask out of a guy like him.

Could be an option.

No matter how you slice it, losing Turek is not a huge loss for the Flames.
I don't see Snow on the same level as Turek. Plus, with any deacrease in goalie equipment it makes Snow that much worse since he is one of the goalies in the league that RELIES on abnormally, HUGE equipment to make the saves.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 05:19 PM
  #28
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
and you're very annoying.



The original contract had three years remaining at $10. Take your own advice, and learn how to read. You're more than welcome to educate the rest us on the stipulations of his restructured contract. Make some phone calls to your contacts.



Oh, and you're funny too.
Turek's new contract had a base of 5 million over 3 years. That was the amount to be on the books. He did have bonuses that could increase it but that was his base salary. Many players have bonues built into contracts but ocne again, that was his base salary.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...05_133548_4100

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 05:53 PM
  #29
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Turek's new contract had a base of 5 million over 3 years. That was the amount to be on the books. He did have bonuses that could increase it but that was his base salary. Many players have bonues built into contracts but ocne again, that was his base salary.
It doesn't show any of that, anywhere in the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Here's what Roger Millions wrote:

Quote:
Roman Turek's new deal is an interesting turn of events. Those who know Roman very well say he is a gentle caring guy who doesn't get caught up in stuff he cannot control.

However, he could control his contract and wound up making a move that was positive for all around him. Turek knew his $5 million contract next year was unworkable. The Flames couldn't sign all the men they needed, and his name would be mud. Perhaps even, ending his career. A buyout would have paid him some money but not lot of heartache.
For argument's sake, we'll assume you're correct with the 3-year/$5 million figure ($1 million the 1st with $2 each for the 2nd & 3rd years). The first year would be eliminated, due to the lockout. A $2 million backup is still rather high. Contrary to popular high hopes in this thread, Roman Turek was no shoe-in as the league's finest #2. As a matter of fact, it wasn't so long ago, that many members here wanted to run him out of town. We digress. Anyway, there are alternatives.

My idea, two years ago, was to keep an eye on Buffalo's goalie situation. No reason to not revisit the possibility. Marty Biron is more or less entrenched as a #1, but Ryan Miller (de facto goalie of the future) will be pushing very hard. That appears to leave Mika Norenen as the odd man out. The Sabres organization isn't known for giving out enormous contracts. So, Noronen is probably affordable to another "small market" team, such as the Flames. (Somebody else can research the salaries.) Depending on the demand, the potential for a good trade partnership is available. Noronen might also respond favorably to having other Finns (i.e. Kiprusoff, Lydman, Niemenen) as teammates. Then, if Brent Krahn demonstrates good form, after a year of full time #1 duty in Omaha, he could take over as Kipper's backup the following season. Noronen would then become a tradeable asset.

Badger Bob is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 05:55 PM
  #30
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
and you're very annoying.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 06:05 PM
  #31
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,822
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
This isn't really that big a blow to the Flames. Nowhere near as much as the title made it out to be.

Turek was the cause of all the teams problems, then moved into a backup role we all of a sudden have the best tandem in the league? It would be nice to have Turek stick around, especially with the restructured deal because he is a helluva guy, didn't let getting bumped out of the #1 spot hurt the team, restructured his deal to help the team, but most importantly, would be able to play 30 or so games in the season if Kipper needs more rest. And I trust him to take over as starter in case of an injury more than say Krahn at this point.

If he is ideed gone (it seems there are conflicting stories), then its sad. Its nice to get rid of the contract, but I never like losing good guys like Roman. Just like when we traded McLennan. But if we need to look for a new backup, I would like us to get a guy who is used to taking on a somewhat heavy workload because I see a 60-40 split for goaltending time depending on how well Kipper does. I like the idea of looking to Buffalo, Noronen or Biron could be had for reasonable cost, and I would rather us trade for a good backup than settle for less on the free agent market. Who knows, maybe McLennan could be acquired again.

Roughneck is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 06:06 PM
  #32
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob

My idea, two years ago, was to keep an eye on Buffalo's goalie situation. No reason to not revisit the possibility. Marty Biron is more or less entrenched as a #1, but Ryan Miller (de facto goalie of the future) will be pushing very hard. That appears to leave Mika Norenen as the odd man out. The Sabres organization isn't known for giving out enormous contracts. So, Noronen is probably affordable to another "small market" team, such as the Flames. (Somebody else can research the salaries.) Depending on the demand, the potential for a good trade partnership is available. Noronen might also respond favorably to having other Finns (i.e. Kiprusoff, Lydman, Niemenen) as teammates. Then, if Brent Krahn demonstrates good form, after a year of full time #1 duty in Omaha, he could take over as Kipper's backup the following season. Noronen would then become a tradeable asset.
To get Noronen the Flames will have to give up something decent. It will be AT LEASTa #2 pick (which we don't have) or a legit player that can play. I don't see the Flames trading any prospects. Noronen was a previous 1st round pick that is caught up in a goalie situation. Who would the Flames trade to get him? It would most liekly be a defenseman since that is Buffalo's qeakest spot. Personally, I don't see Buffalo taking Montador or Commodore for Noronen and the Flames trading a guy like Lydman (makes more sense for Buffalo) would be too much. The way I see it, the only way Buffalo trades Noronen to the Flames is if we give up a good defenseman, like Lydman or a top pick (which the Flames need because our prospect depth isn't great). The only way the Flames trade Lydman is if its a package deal. Lydman + something for Noronen and a guy like Dumont (50 point player).

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 06:07 PM
  #33
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
If he is ideed gone (it seems there are conflicting stories), then its sad. Its nice to get rid of the contract, but I never like losing good guys like Roman. Just like when we traded McLennan. But if we need to look for a new backup, I would like us to get a guy who is used to taking on a somewhat heavy workload because I see a 60-40 split for goaltending time depending on how well Kipper does. I like the idea of looking to Buffalo, Noronen or Biron could be had for reasonable cost, and I would rather us trade for a good backup than settle for less on the free agent market. Who knows, maybe McLennan could be acquired again.
Biron is way too expensive to be a backup. The guy is makign $3ish million a year.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 06:45 PM
  #34
chriss_co
Registered User
 
chriss_co's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: CALGARY
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Its not even confirmed that Turek is leaving the team.. why all the ruckus?

chriss_co is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 06:53 PM
  #35
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
Its not even confirmed that Turek is leaving the team.. why all the ruckus?
Just healthy hockey talk. Might as well "talk" hockey since we cannot "watch" hockey this year.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 08:48 PM
  #36
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,206
vCash: 583
The report has been retracted, look at the link again

Rabid Husky is offline  
Old
04-22-2005, 09:28 PM
  #37
Hunter74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
I remember that Turek had his final year on his contract spread out over 2 or 3 years in order for the Flames to have more budget space and for him to have a better shot at some of his $5mill considering he may lose all $5 b/c of the lockout.

I cant find the linnk on the Flames site but I remember he did have his contract restructured. he is not making 5mil a year this year or next year unless there are some bonuses that they are counting as well.

Ok I found a link about Tureks new Flames deal:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_sto...ame=nhl-flames

Hunter74 is offline  
Old
04-23-2005, 12:46 AM
  #38
King_Brown
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Actually Roman redid his deal so that his $5 Million would be gaurnteed instead of getting bought out. He signed a new 3 year deal that spread his 1 year $5 million deal through 3 years.

King_Brown is offline  
Old
04-23-2005, 10:08 AM
  #39
Gelinas Time
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Freddie B idea might not be too funny. He had a decent year in Russia, stealing starter's job in Kazan from Khabibullin. He looked very solid in playoffs and was arguably the best player for Kovalchuk/Heatley/Lecavalier-filled team. If Sutter is going to use Kiprusoff for lion share of games (and that's likely to be the case), Brathwaite might be decent cheap back-up. Speaking of Snow, he was nowhere near as good as Freddie B, as he was playing for another russian team SKA.

Gelinas Time is offline  
Old
04-23-2005, 05:54 PM
  #40
Phaneuf*
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
Fredy Fredy Fredy! Aww those were the days.

Phaneuf* is offline  
Old
04-23-2005, 09:26 PM
  #41
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas Time
Speaking of Snow, he was nowhere near as good as Freddie B, as he was playing for another russian team SKA.
What a choice.

Badger Bob is offline  
Old
04-23-2005, 11:09 PM
  #42
Big Deaner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf
Fredy Fredy Fredy! Aww those were the days.
Those were some of the loudest chants for one player I have ever heard. The whole city loved him.

Big Deaner is offline  
Old
04-23-2005, 11:42 PM
  #43
Phaneuf*
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deaner
Those were some of the loudest chants for one player I have ever heard. The whole city loved him.
Indeed thats was back in 2000 irrc when we were called the young guns

Phaneuf* is offline  
Old
04-24-2005, 11:14 AM
  #44
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 50
LOL
It's the same situation here. The backup goalie/quaterback is always the city favorite!

FLAMESFAN is offline  
Old
04-24-2005, 07:52 PM
  #45
Big Deaner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf
Indeed thats was back in 2000 irrc when we were called the young guns
Yah, that was the worst marketing campaign of all time. I remember my friend (Edmonton fan) making fun of me for the 'young guns' slogan at every opportunity. BTW, are there any young guns left besides Iggy?

Big Deaner is offline  
Old
04-24-2005, 08:02 PM
  #46
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deaner
Yah, that was the worst marketing campaign of all time. I remember my friend (Edmonton fan) making fun of me for the 'young guns' slogan at every opportunity. BTW, are there any young guns left besides Iggy?
Wasn't Regehr and Lydman young guns as well?

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
04-25-2005, 12:29 AM
  #47
Mat
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Magnetomountaineer
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
So you're saying Roman Turek could have won up to half of the games he played in?

Ya, huge loss.
agreed


but youve got to take into consideration that his contract was pretty expensive, and the free'd money can help the team much more than a backup goalie could ever

besides, assuming the flames make it to the playoffs again, a backup isnt something they need to win

Mat is offline  
Old
04-25-2005, 06:14 AM
  #48
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
besides, assuming the flames make it to the playoffs again, a backup isnt something they need to win
Well, a decent backup is useful, especially if the aim is to win at least a few games the #1 sits out.

Badger Bob is offline  
Old
04-25-2005, 10:09 AM
  #49
Phaneuf*
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
I'll look tonight in my 'young guns' program.

Phaneuf* is offline  
Old
04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
  #50
King_Brown
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
You need a good backup, not someone that you put in and expect him to let in 5 goals and loose. Look at that Lighting there backup won 20 games. Roman Turek had what 4 shutouts in a row as backup. It is a huge blow when your back can potentially win 10-12 games, and your Starter can win you 28-32 games. Our goalie tandem was very good, now where stuck with Brent "Shaky Knees" Krahn.

King_Brown is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.