HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Konan returned to ADR (Apr. 17); Brandon Manning recalled (Apr. 16)

Old
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Matt Konan returned to ADR (Apr. 17); Brandon Manning recalled (Apr. 16)

Edit:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=64095

Quote:
KONAN; MANNING RECALLED
Less than 18 hours after taking on the Canadiens in Montreal, the Flyers announced two recalls from their AHL affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms.

The club has recalled defensemen Matt Konan and Brandon Manning from the Phantoms.

Konan has been assigned #34, while Manning will wear #32. Both are available to play in tonight's Flyers-Rangers game at the Wells Fargo Center. For Konan, if he is in the line-up, it will be his NHL debut.

The 21-year-old Konan is in his first season of professional hockey, appearing in 42 games with Adirondack where he has two goals and four assists for six points. He also appeared in five games with the club's ECHL affiliate, the Trenton Titans this season.

The Flyers signed the free agent Konan to an entry-level contract on Apr. 2, 2012 after five seasons with the Medicine Hat Tigers of the Western Hockey League.

Manning, earns his second recall with the Flyers in his career and first this season. He has 21 points (6g-15a) in 65 games with the Phantoms this season, his second with the club.

The 22-year old Manning appeared in four games with the Flyers last season, going scoreless and averaging 13:43 of ice time.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Figured it should get it's own thread since it might be the first time we see Konan in a Flyers jersey.

Quote:
D-Men Matt Konan and Brandon Manning have been recalled by the Flyers. They are both available for the game tonight.
-LehighValleyPhantoms
-NHLFlyers

Hoping its Konan who gets the shot. Has looked better than Manning has honestly. Do question why both were called up though. Maybe someone else is hurt, or Gervias is out for a longer period of time so they need a 7th.

For a rookie defender, Konan has done a pretty solid job. He is alittle slow on his feet though. His main problem.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-17-2013 at 10:53 AM.
sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:39 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1059
From 2012:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637961

Quote:
The Flyers believe that defenseman Matt Konan will become one of the overage signees who eventually makes it to the top level. Signed as a free agent this spring, the Tustin, California, native played five seasons in the Western Hockey League for the Medicine Hat Tigers. He will turn 21 on Sept. 3.

Konan is one of three rookie free agent position players slated to play for the Adirondack Phantoms next season. The others are 21-year-old forward Andrew Johnston (Humbolt Broncos, SJHL), 23-year-old forward Matt Mangene (who split time between forward and defense at the University of Maine). The team will also feature 24-year-old goaltender Niko Hovinen (Lahti Pelicans, SM-liiga) and 23-year-old goaltender Cal Heeter (Ohio State University), who also came to the Flyers via the free agent route.

Unselected in the 2009 to 2011 NHL Drafts, Konan nevertheless was regarded as a solid and reliable defenseman during his time with the Tigers. A plus-rated player in each of his five seasons, he topped the plus-20 mark twice and was a mainstay on the penalty kill. He possesses a 6-foot-2 frame that has filled out a bit beyond his listed 182 pounds. Konan is also not afraid to use his size in the hitting department, but not at the expense of playing a sound positional game.

“I try to play physical when I can and be a two-way player,” said Konan, who posted 117 penalty minutes in 2009-10 and 73 last season.

Konan’s offensive game emerged during his overage season. Following the WHL graduations of Mark Isherwood, Jace Coyle and Thomas Carr, the Tigers asked Konan to take on added offensive responsibilities last year. He responded with a 54-point season (9 goals, 45 assists) that shattered his previous top offensive season by 34 points, and then added 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists) in 8 playoff games.

The Flyers believe that Konan had the capability all along to post some points, because he is an adept passer who makes good breakout passes and intelligent pinches. Although the AHL rookie is not expected to see much power play time right away for the Phantoms, he has the potential to eventually play a point on a secondary power play unit at the minor league level. However, it is his all-around situational game that will be what makes or breaks his professional career.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

ah yes, Manning

The guy who, after his first 4 games with the Flyers last year, so many people here were quick to say he'll be a future top-4 defenseman

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Konan will need to play barbarically ....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I wish both young men good luck. I would just love to see them help the team knock off the rags tonight!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:17 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

The Dane out?

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Konan will need to play barbarically ....
He needs to be the Destroyer (of other teams' scoring chances)

04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Holy ****? Konan? Wow... this is going to be... awkward...

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
The Dane out?
Didn't think of that. He REALLY struggled last night. Maybe one of the reasons they brought two defenders up?

Old
04-16-2013, 12:33 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
The Dane out?
That might be a good idea. Let him get some perspective from the press box after playing a good string of big-league games. I didn't see the two penalties he drew, resulting in two PP goals against, but what I've seen of Lauridsen makes me think he can be rotated out.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
That might be a good idea. Let him get some perspective from the press box after playing a good string of big-league games. I didn't see the two penalties he drew, resulting in two PP goals against, but what I've seen of Lauridsen makes me think he can be rotated out.
If not mistaken, he was "at fault" for all 3 goals. The two penalties and then his player, while he was on the guy, got off a shot and scored.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

A lot of people were high on Lauridsen, but I never really saw it.

There have been some players without real footspeed who could compete well at the NHL level; Lauridsen is not one of them.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Hooah4

took a huge slapshot off the foot that knocked him down. That was prior to the third goal when he didn't tie up Galchenyuk's stick in front.

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

I don't think Lauridsen was that bad last night. The two penalties were iffy calls, and I like a defensemen with a little sandpaper in his game. He failed to cover Galchenyuk's (I think) stick on his goal but I feel its a correctable mistake. The guy has surprising speed and mobility once he gets going and I think he's a decent puckhandler. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Lavi sits him a game or more.

He also took a hard shot to the knee which he may be nursing.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:45 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

The Dane hasnt been THAT bad like some are saying. He hasnt been outstanding, but overall looks like a 6th defender, which most ( I think) expected. I dont think he has looked worse than say Foster or Gervias.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:52 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The Dane hasnt been THAT bad like some are saying. He hasnt been outstanding, but overall looks like a 6th defender, which most ( I think) expected. I dont think he has looked worse than say Foster or Gervias.
I'm not saying to throw Lauridson under the bus, but in this shortened season, the practice opportunities are much fewer. I'd rather he get a chance for another view of the game, and to work on the holes in his play. Maybe take a Pronger day and learn some defensive techniques.

Plus, iffy penalty calls or not, some accountability for on-ice gaffes is rarely a bad thing.

If Lauridson is no more than a 6th defenseman / AHL call-up, so be it. Since the season is lost, I want the coaching staff to focus on development of the plethora of young players rather than all-in-for-a-win.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:52 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
He hasn't been bad at all, IMO.

When Kevin Marshall got thrown into the NHL, it was an ugly sight. He was 10 seconds behind the play at all times, was a positional nightmare, and handled the puck like it was a grenade.

Those are the signs of a guy who has absolutely no NHL potential and I have not seen those signs with the Dane.

The guy has decent puck moving skills and a nice shot to boot. also you have to respect his aggressive game, he seems like a guy who knows how to use his size. I would like to see him use these assets more often but obviously you need to stay on a short leash and earn confidence from the coach.

A rookie defenseman not looking like a stalwart in the d-zone in his first 9 games? Color me surprised.

He may not be anything special but I think he can be an NHLer down the line. It's just a matter of opportunity and progress.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:06 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Gervais is hurt

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
INJURY UPDATE: #Flyers D Bruno Gervais is out indefinitely & will have surgery Thurs. to repair a torn stomach muscle http://t.co/smw3SnoxAA
Source: Philadelphia Flyers Official Twitter @NHLFlyers

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Source: Philadelphia Flyers Official Twitter @NHLFlyers
lulz

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:25 PM
FlyersFan61290

Hope to see konan. He's been better than manning in most if not all phantom games I've seen.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Jumping

So..... we aren't out of the playoffs then?

2013-14, let's get 6 or 7 #6 d-men. Then, as we, the fans, get tired of them, we can discard them with a casual, "Off with their Heads!" and bring in the next one "Next!"

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
A lot of people were high on Lauridsen, but I never really saw it.

There have been some players without real footspeed who could compete well at the NHL level; Lauridsen is not one of them.
dont you think "high" is exagerrating just a little. the guy was a project from day 1 and still is a project. not sure what you would expect out of a 7th pick in his 2nd pro year. How do you you know he is not one of them, based on the 5 games he has played? that is a little shortsighted, though i guess it is your opinion.

hell many more people , including you, are "high" on sunshine and he hasnt even sniffed the nhl yet. same with holmstrum and wellwood who will in all likelhood be career ahl players.

Just curious as to what guys you were high on that never panned out yet?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I like both Lauridsen and Gus. I've been clamoring for both to get more playing time. Really happy with Gus. I feel like he's proving me right with each shift. Oliver is getting beaten a bit due to slowness - especially when a guy takes him outside, but needs to get familiar with how to compensate for lack of speed with better positioning and backskating. He may never pan out, but he needs games. Still see him as a very very backend guy on a bad team.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:37 PM
jb**

Quote:
he needs more work in the ahl. nothing worng with that. play top minutes on the top pair next year down on the farm. they had no choice i suppose in calling him up as i would have rather had him stay in the ahl. I hope he fgeos to a skating coach this offseason to imporve.

He was a 7th round project type pick. anyone even with expectations other than him being a 6 dman is being silly.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote