HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XIV - UFA talk now

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
thewave

vCash: 500
If we trade Grabo for nothing and let Mac walk then sign Bozak to 4+m contract we will be in rough shape long term as teams keep getting better and we suffer setbacks.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:21 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I seriously can't take watching MacArthur anymore, I cannot wait to see his exodus this offseason. He's almost as ineffectual as Robert Rychel or Wallin. Useless, uninspired, garbage play from him.
His role right now is just too redundant.

He's a capable 2nd liner, not great but decent... but put him in a situation where he has to become more of a checker or energy player, and he disappears. He's a similar player to Nik Hagman in that regard.

Like I said a few times, we should have traded him for some picks while giving the minutes to players with a better future on the Leafs.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I like Gardiners potential but I'd have no problem packaging him up in a deal for a good young center (or top pick to draft that player).

The left side of our D even without Gardiner looks good with Rielly joining the team as early as next season, our second best D prospect Finn is also a lefty, Gunnarson and Liles who both can play 20 good minutes a night, Fraser whose played very good as a tough bottom pairing dman. Plus we could also add Ranger whose a natural lefty and even if we don't get him their are options like Hainsey, Regehr, Scuderi, Leopold, Ference as UFAs who can all play as # 4/5 dmen.

If anything I think dealing Gardiner would be dealing from a position of strength.
Wonder if the Oilers would be interested in trading their #1 pick this year in a package that includes Gardiner going opposite way. Have a feeling they will be itching to pull the trigger on dealing that pick in an attempt to improve next year. Outside chance Monahan maybe available where they are picking.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Wonder if the Oilers would be interested in trading their #1 pick this year in a package that includes Gardiner going opposite way. Have a feeling they will be itching to pull the trigger on dealing that pick in an attempt to improve next year. Outside chance Monahan maybe available where they are picking.
IMO if the Oilers trade there pick its in a deal for a big bruising forward or defenseman. They're already stacked with mid sized, softish talent. They need a heaping of MEAN.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:09 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

He's a capable 2nd liner, not great but decent... but put him in a situation where he has to become more of a checker or energy player, and he disappears. He's a similar player to Nik Hagman in that regard.

Like I said a few times, we should have traded him for some picks while giving the minutes to players with a better future on the Leafs.
Totally agree, I wish and was a big proponent of him being dealt at the deadline.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
IMO if the Oilers trade there pick its in a deal for a big bruising forward or defenseman. They're already stacked with mid sized, softish talent. They need a heaping of MEAN.
Hartnell signed last summer so we should look for him to be traded But really, I think if Hartnell were made available he would be someone the Oilers would be all over. He is currently in the last year of his deal before his new contract which has a full NMC I believe. His current contract may have a way for Philly to trade him before July?

Old
04-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Kb21

Quote:

if he doesn't produce in the playoffs it might be the biggest mistake nonis has made this season, especially seeing how little sellers there were.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:43 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
if he doesn't produce in the playoffs it might be the biggest mistake nonis has made this season, especially seeing how little sellers there were.
Depth is okay in the playoffs too. I wanted him and bozak gone but imo if nonis was offered something of value aka 1st rounder he woulda pulled the trigger. (But he never would have gotten one for him)

Old
04-26-2013, 12:33 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
How so?

If we traded Mac for a 2nd at the deadline, and either Lupul or JVR go down, our LW depth is horrible. We'd have to call up Ashton, Komarov would be our 2nd line LW and Ashton would be our 3rd line LW.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but around here this is routinely forgotten. Nonis didn't make that move not because he couldn't get something for Mac, it was because what he could get for Mac was less than the value of retaining him as further insurance of the depth needed to make the post-season. The experience of these boys playing post-season hockey outweighs the benefit of a 2nd round pick IMO.

Nonis made the safe bet in retaining Mac, and frankly if that's the biggest mistake Nonis makes this season, I'm a happy guy.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:47 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
How so?

If we traded Mac for a 2nd at the deadline, and either Lupul or JVR go down, our LW depth is horrible. We'd have to call up Ashton, Komarov would be our 2nd line LW and Ashton would be our 3rd line LW.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but around here this is routinely forgotten. Nonis didn't make that move not because he couldn't get something for Mac, it was because what he could get for Mac was less than the value of retaining him as further insurance of the depth needed to make the post-season. The experience of these boys playing post-season hockey outweighs the benefit of a 2nd round pick IMO.

Nonis made the safe bet in retaining Mac, and frankly if that's the biggest mistake Nonis makes this season, I'm a happy guy.
No kidding.

You need depth in the playoffs. Were not sellers anymore.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Hartnell signed last summer so we should look for him to be traded But really, I think if Hartnell were made available he would be someone the Oilers would be all over. He is currently in the last year of his deal before his new contract which has a full NMC I believe. His current contract may have a way for Philly to trade him before July?
I actually see Ott as a player that has a good chance of ending up with the Oilers who be an ideal fit.

Ott can play both center and wing, kill penalties, is total pain in the butt to play against and Buffalo can't afford to loss him for nothing after next season as a UFA. The Oilers can afford to deal the prospects or picks Buffalo would be looking for because they've drafted so high and often the last few seasons.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:40 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I actually see Ott as a player that has a good chance of ending up with the Oilers who be an ideal fit.

Ott can play both center and wing, kill penalties, is total pain in the butt to play against and Buffalo can't afford to loss him for nothing after next season as a UFA. The Oilers can afford to deal the prospects or picks Buffalo would be looking for because they've drafted so high and often the last few seasons.
Edmonton will probably target both. Hartnell's as good as gone this summer based on Philly's reputation of dealing before NTCs kick in. They've developed a habit of trading recently-signed players in JVR, Richards, Carter, and with soon to be Hartnell and Bryzgalov.

Ott's not worth the $4m he's going to go after IMO, and Hartnell is certainly not worth the $6m in cash coming his way over the next few seasons.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
No kidding.

You need depth in the playoffs. Were not sellers anymore.
doesn't it feel good to say that?

04-26-2013, 06:37 PM
dimi78

Quote:

I've been vocal about trading MacArthur since his first year as a Leaf all the way to the first half of this season but once it got to the trade deadline and he was still a Leaf the smart move was made by Nonis. MacArthur as a pending UFA is a depth player the Leafs didn't have to trade for at the deadline so therefor his role isn't redundant. Having him and letting him walk at seasons end actually saved the organization of futures in trading for depth in the playoffs.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:41 AM
pspot

I really like Gardiner and think having him P:anuef and Rielly long term down the left side is great but....if you have the chance to turn him in to MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, that other russian kid who can play center I think you really have to consider it.

For me I'd definitely do it for the first two and probably even for the other two

Considering the connection to Schultz you'd think edm would like the idea too

Old
04-27-2013, 09:58 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
I really like Gardiner and think having him P:anuef and Rielly long term down the left side is great but....if you have the chance to turn him in to MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, that other russian kid who can play center I think you really have to consider it.

For me I'd definitely do it for the first two and probably even for the other two

Considering the connection to Schultz you'd think edm would like the idea too
Bingo. They need to get bigger, tougher and better. Gardiner + 1st gets us into the top-10 but I think we may need to add to get into the top-5.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:19 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:

I agree. He was excellent the first half of the season but could not adapt to a diminished role. How much can they afford to pay him as an insurance policy for injuries to their wingers? I think at his best he has played very well for them, but not sure that opportunity ever comes back. I hate to see him walk for nothing, but that is what they have set up. Right now he is just warming Frattin's seat and splitting his minutes with MF and others isn't good for anyone.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:24 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
They want a physical shut down D, or a PF for their top 6. Extremely unlikely they would offer good value for Gardiner. From a Leafs perspective, although i would love a top 10 pick this year, I doubt they would consider Gardiner for the pick he would return. Once a young player has shown something in the NHL, they need someone closer to the NHL coming back.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:47 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
They want a physical shut down D, or a PF for their top 6. Extremely unlikely they would offer good value for Gardiner. From a Leafs perspective, although i would love a top 10 pick this year, I doubt they would consider Gardiner for the pick he would return. Once a young player has shown something in the NHL, they need someone closer to the NHL coming back.
I would think JVR + Fraser or Gardiner, our 1st and Fraser gets us talking.

Its a really hefty price to pay but again it boils down to what's easier to replace: a top line franchise centre or anything else, like a small offensive D, a top-6 LW with size or a tough, physical stay at home defender.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:29 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
I've been vocal about trading MacArthur since his first year as a Leaf all the way to the first half of this season but once it got to the trade deadline and he was still a Leaf the smart move was made by Nonis. MacArthur as a pending UFA is a depth player the Leafs didn't have to trade for at the deadline so therefor his role isn't redundant. Having him and letting him walk at seasons end actually saved the organization of futures in trading for depth in the playoffs.
And what point is there having depth up front when your D is severely lacking primary components. At least a legit 2D, we needed someone like Jbo to be taken seriously. It's entirely up to Reimer and the current group to play above their heads at this point.

The offense is fine, also hope Reimer stays healthy.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:29 PM
DrizzyTO
We Have Best Friends

I'm open for trading one of Bozak/Grabovski packaged with others for a #1 Centre, keep Kadri as our 2nd centre alongside Lupes, Kessel with our #1 Centre and JVR.

JVR-#1 Centre- Kessel
Lupes-Kadri-Kulemin
MacArthur-Bozak/Grabo-Frattin
Komarov/McClaren-McClement-Orr

Keep our defence as it is unless we have the opportunity to get our #2 defencemen for Phaneuf.

Reimer
Scrivens

Farm: Biggs, Percy, MacWilliam, Colborne, etc.

Ideally, for the #1 centre, depending on who it is I'll be open to package Grabo/Bozak + MacArthur + ?

Old
04-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
And what point is there having depth up front when your D is severely lacking primary components. At least a legit 2D, we needed someone like Jbo to be taken seriously. It's entirely up to Reimer and the current group to play above their heads at this point.

The offense is fine, also hope Reimer stays healthy.
Yes, Jbow will single handedly earn respect for our back end.

Get our head out of the gutter, there were no #2D's available at the TD, even if there was, Cmac wouldn't be enough to get one.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:38 PM
SteveV*

Have to admit there is a nice side bonus to Bozak out again tonight (hope he's okay obviously and ready for playoffs). We get to see Kadri in the one hole, which is where he is headed anyways. This development let's the Leafs see what life might look like if they don't overpay for Tyler. Good news for management to not get tunnel vision with Bozak, he simply isn't worth the money being floated. Bozak has had a charmed run here playing with Kessel, first PP minutes, these facts have padded his real worth. I really like Bozak, but if he wants 4 or 5 mil on a long term deal, no appetite for that at all, creature of circumstance as much as talent worth IMHO.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:34 PM
facelessjoe1990

Nashville's 1st overall?

I read in the trade board that they are looking for help soon. They are willing to trade their 1st this year. Does anyone know what their needs are? Do we have what they need? Can we keep our other first?

Old
04-27-2013, 08:52 PM
pspot

maybe flip grabo for horcoff

not sure if that would be something Edm would be interested in but if they move Gagner it could be an option

Closed Thread