HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XIV - UFA talk now

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 02:08 AM
pooleboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif16 View Post
Legit question guys. With the canucks crapping the bed, which was expected....there has been a lot of talk of changes. Now i dont care what they do..cuz that franchise is a mess. But some are speculating they might blow it up with a major overhaul.

If thats the case...one player that might come up is Kevin Bieksa. Would the leafs be interested??? A right handed defensemen. Can log high min and play besides phaneuf. Is still relatively young. ANd is tough as nails. Would you guys want him?
I saw people talking about a late 1st for bieska and if that's the case I would certainly have to think about our 1st this year. Bringing in bieska could let us move gards with en emergence with moriles.

Jvr-(young C acquired for gards)Couterier?-kessel
Lupul-kadri-kulemin
Komarov-bozak-frattin
Mclaren-mcclement-orr

Phaneuf-bieska
Rielly-O'Byrne
Gunnerson-Franson
Fraser

(Note I said all D on their correct side, imo o'byrne won't be resigned, but for arguments sake just saying possible lineup)

That lineup is young, skilled and is tough

Edit: I realize some may have my head for this but what about bieska and kesler if vancouver is serious about blowing things up. Fill our 2 biggest holes and sounds like they want to rebuild, give them 1st (16-22) + gards + for kesler+bieska

Not that I want gardiner traded, but imo he is our greatest asset to move, but looked great today.

And I lol'd at vancouver fans saying purcell+3rd overall++++ for edler hahaha

Last edited by pooleboy: 05-07-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old
05-07-2013, 05:33 AM
TheMadHatTrick

Like I said in the Clarkson thread, given the way he's played this series, I wouldn't mind taking a run at Horton on the free agent market. Hometown boy, he's only 27, and he can both score and set up plays for others. He no longer plays as gritty as he used to, but he still hits and sticks up for himself and teammates when necessary. Obviously you're concerned about the concussion history, but there's no denying his impact when healthy.

JVR ??? Kessel
Lupul Kadri Horton
Kulemin Grabo Frattin
Komarov McClement Orr

Old
05-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Like I said in the Clarkson thread, given the way he's played this series, I wouldn't mind taking a run at Horton on the free agent market. Hometown boy, he's only 27, and he can both score and set up plays for others. He no longer plays as gritty as he used to, but he still hits and sticks up for himself and teammates when necessary. Obviously you're concerned about the concussion history, but there's no denying his impact when healthy.

JVR ??? Kessel
Lupul Kadri Horton
Kulemin Grabo Frattin
Komarov McClement Orr
Does Boston let him go? that's the question.
I'd like to see Horton here.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:59 AM
FriedEgg

Certainly not a new idea, bit the more we see of these playoffs, the more obvious it is that the leafs need to upgrade their top 4 d. Specifically a partner for Dion. Can't keep putting gunnerson out there. Any obvious trade partners out there?

Old
05-07-2013, 07:43 AM
pspot

If this team could add Clarkson and Bieksa in the offseason that would be pretty huge

then see if you can get a #1 C for Gardiner? or hope Kadri can step it up?
Offer Bozak between 3.5 and 4 and don't go over that

JVR/Kadri/Lupul
Frattin/Bozak/Kessel
Kulemin/Grabo/Clarkson
Komarov/McClement/Orr

That top 9 is deep and has a nice mix of skill and size. then still have good depth in the A

Phanuef/Bieksa
Gunnar/Franson
Gardiner/O'Bryne

If Rielly forces your hand you can move Gardiner or Gunnar, still have liles who could probably get you something or recover picks

That line up would be pretty damn good. Really dependent on Reimer so adding a vet back up would probably be a great idea.

As for Bieksa specifically I wonder what Van is thinking. Moving players like that, the existing/old core would be such a huge change. Bieksa, Kesler, Sedin's, Luongo, and assuming you still have all that salary can't think they only want picks but I guess cap flexibility would help. Would be crazy to watch.

Still think they should have moved Schneider and gone for it with this core this year and next.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:24 AM
thewave
EATING CROW!

We need some D presence. They did nothing to help us at deadline but we need help bad.

Hoping we get Ranger to play and maybe Rielly will start otherwise we need to shop.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Thread on the main boards has got me thinking...

How about trading for Henrik Sedin (just him)?

Him between Kessel and JVR would be crazy.

I would obviously take a lot, but he does only have one year left on his contract, and he had a bit of an off year. This is only if the Canucks decide to rebuild around some of their younger guys. I know he is soft, but we've got enough sandpaper now to compliment him.

Not sure what it takes though. I would imagine:

2013 1st
2014 1st
Grabovski
Tyler Biggs/Josh Leivo
Finn/Percy

Maybe even more?

Thoughts? I just think they might be better off playing apart. They seem to be getting lazy playing with each other.
I would love to have him. But he has a NO Trade Clause and doubt he leaves to go anywhere unless his brother is going with him. And the package to get both would be pretty extreme IMO.

Probably

Gardiner
Rielly
Kadri
Frattin
2013 1st round pick at the least.

Pretty much any good young piece that we have

Old
05-07-2013, 09:10 AM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
I would love to have him. But he has a NO Trade Clause and doubt he leaves to go anywhere unless his brother is going with him. And the package to get both would be pretty extreme IMO.

Probably

Gardiner
Rielly
Kadri
Frattin
2013 1st round pick at the least.

Pretty much any good young piece that we have
And based on the last 2 years of playoffs why in the world would the Leafs want to do that anyway?

Would go against everything Nonis has suggested he's interested in doing.

I'd suggest any overpayment would be for players who are the same age as Kessel or younger.

The 197475 season saw another change to its playoff system to accommodate the league of 18 teams, twelve of which qualified for the playoffs. The top team from each division would earn a bye to the quarterfinal, while the second- and third-place teams from each division started their playoff run from a best-of-three preliminary round.
Old
05-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 545
Bieksa would be a fantastic addition. I've been a big fan of his for a while.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
And based on the last 2 years of playoffs why in the world would the Leafs want to do that anyway?

Would go against everything Nonis has suggested he's interested in doing.

I'd suggest any overpayment would be for players who are the same age as Kessel or younger.
I aint saying this is a trade I would make, but this is what Vancouver would want. I would love to get JUST Henrik, but I doubt very much he leaves without his brother, UNLESS he knew his brother would be coming as a FREE AGENT at the end of next year. Either way, I dont see it happening.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:20 AM
FifthLine

I would LOVE a Bieksa trade. I would probably do our first for him if thats what it took. As someone mentioned earlier a bieksa, kesler package would be unreal for us. But I'd imagine if Keslers going anywhere, Kadri would be a must in the package coming back. Who knows, anyways interesting how things have played out. Two teams in constant talk over a goalie situation now potentially good trading partners for another deal.

Chuckwoods shed some like on what the Canucks plan to do?

Old
05-07-2013, 09:23 AM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
I aint saying this is a trade I would make, but this is what Vancouver would want. I would love to get JUST Henrik, but I doubt very much he leaves without his brother, UNLESS he knew his brother would be coming as a FREE AGENT at the end of next year. Either way, I dont see it happening.
Until they fire their coach, they won't be moving out the core of their team.

Even the GM must be on shaky ground, perhaps we'll see a house cleaning at the top before players are moved out.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
If you think Phaneuf is lackadaisical in his own end, you'd be mortified watching Bieksa.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Amadeus
The Magician!

I wonder if Andrej Sekera could be available from Buffalo. Solid top 4 D-man!

05-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
Does Boston let him go? that's the question.
I'd like to see Horton here.
Boston is tight against the cap next season. They probably have to let Jagr and Horton walk

Old
05-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Ricky Bobby

As much as I like Bieksa and he would help our team immediately I don't know if he's the guy we want to target in a trade.

He's now 31, has always had trouble staying healthy and comes with a 4.6 million cap hit.

Put that cap hit on the Leafs and we wouldn't be able to fit in the salary of another 4.5 million + player.

I hope Ranger inks with us who I'm confident can easily jump into playing 20-25 minutes a night, Rielly continues to progress and makes the team out of camp.

Then we can look at dealing one or two of Gardiner/Gunnarson/Liles/Franson in a deal for a center with Kesler on the list of guys I'd target.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Ricky Bobby

Kesler (28 years old, signed for 3 more years at 5 per)

for

Gardiner
1st rounder

Toronto then looks to deal Grabo to another team for whatever we can get for him. Then reink Bozak on our terms (around 3 million) but if he doesn't we're still okay with McClement/Komarov and Colborne.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:24 AM
FifthLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

for

Gardiner
1st rounder

Toronto then looks to deal Grabo to another team for whatever we can get for him. Then reink Bozak on our terms (around 3 million) but if he doesn't we're still okay with McClement/Komarov and Colborne.
You can't let both Bozak and Grabovski go. Atleast one will be back guaranteed.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:28 AM
ULF_55

Quote:

for

Gardiner
1st rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
Defense is a bigger problem for the Leafs than another forward.

Kesler's a 2nd. line center in Vancouver, but the Leafs priority is improving upon, Fraser, Franson, Liles, O'Bryne and Kostka.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
Kesler will eat up Bozaks minutes. Kadri can handle more minutes next year.

We can keep Grabo if we have cap space and no where else to spend it but I don't like that contract (and never have) so he's the 1st player I'd look to move out if we need to create cap space in any deal. McClement/Komarov/Colborne is just fine as our bottom 2 centers.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:

Kesler's a 2nd. line center in Vancouver, but the Leafs priority is improving upon, Fraser, Franson, Liles, O'Bryne and Kostka.
Kesler is a 1B quality center though who can play in all situations.

He's proven to be a big-time playoff performer and plays with that defensive chippiness that we lack in our forward group.

Our best prospects are D so we'll be fine there over the next few years.

Ranger might ink with us and Rielly will be breaking into the league as early as next year. Franson/Fraser will benefit greatly from these playoffs.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yup!

Leafs scored the 6th most goals. Gave up the 13th most.

Ideally we get a #2 guy to play with Phaneuf, pushing Gunnar to the 2nd pairing since I think he is best served as a #3 guy. But at the very least we need to get a guy who can play 20+ minutes a night and is consistently reliable in his own zone. Right now the only 2 I trust is Phaneuf + Gunnar, we badly need that 3rd guy.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:41 AM
FifthLine

Quote:
Kesler will eat up Bozaks minutes. Kadri can handle more minutes next year.

We can keep Grabo if we have cap space and no where else to spend it but I don't like that contract (and never have) so he's the 1st player I'd look to move out if we need to create cap space in any deal. McClement/Komarov/Colborne is just fine as our bottom 2 centers.
That is true. I was going on the assumption that if the canucks got rid of Ryan Kesler they'd need a centre in return. I'd assume Kadri would be the main peice.

Btw, any free agent defense man that interest anyone this year?

Old
05-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Yup!

Leafs scored the 6th most goals. Gave up the 13th most.

Ideally we get a #2 guy to play with Phaneuf, pushing Gunnar to the 2nd pairing since I think he is best served as a #3 guy. But at the very least we need to get a guy who can play 20+ minutes a night and is consistently reliable in his own zone. Right now the only 2 I trust is Phaneuf + Gunnar, we badly need that 3rd guy.
Having forwards that are tough to play against defensively is a big part of D.

Witness Jay McClement for us. Kesler is a Selke calibar forward who can score at a very good rate.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Having forwards that are tough to play against defensively is a big part of D.

Witness Jay McClement for us. Kesler is a Selke calibar forward who can score at a very good rate.
It wasn't a forward who let Jagr steal the puck from him last night.
It wasn't a forward who let Lucic walk around him last night.

In my opinion our forwards have been fine defensively this year. Our defensemen have been lacking though.

Closed Thread