HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets select F Andrew Copp (4/104)

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Copp pick?
Like 15 41.67%
Don't like 0 0%
Unsure/don't know enough about him 21 58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Winnipeg Jets select F Andrew Copp (4/104)

Stats

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:18 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 166
**** yeah, Andrew Shaw at 104.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:19 PM
KCjetsfan

link is for andrew shaw?

KCjetsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:19 PM
gholas
UnRegistered UnUser

vCash: 393
Nice, has a SC Ring already, good draft!!

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:20 PM
ahplk

If hockey ever falls through, maybe we can give him a shot on the Bombers at QB?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiKf0jU-SXY

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:21 PM
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub

I'm a Michigan Hockey fan and watch just about every game so I figure I'd stop in. I think you'll love this kid, he's never going to be a top 6 guy and he wasn't highly regarded coming into Ann Arbor but he really came on this year and played on the top line as a freshman. His compete level is off the charts and he showed a offensive game most people didn't expect him to have. He was a two sport athlete in high school (football) and seems like now that he is just focused on hockey he is showing what he is capable of. Like I said...probably won't be a star but he's one of those guys who can do a little bit of everything. On a sidenote, I was sad to see Trouba leave but he is one of the most gifted players I've ever seen coming through Ann Arbor. He was just on a different level from everyone else on the ice.

YostisHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Originally Posted by YostisHome View Post
I'm a Michigan Hockey fan and watch just about every game so I figure I'd stop in. I think you'll love this kid, he's never going to be a top 6 guy and he wasn't highly regarded coming into Ann Arbor but he really came on this year and played on the top line as a freshman. His compete level is off the charts and he showed a offensive game most people didn't expect him to have. He was a two sport athlete in high school (football) and seems like now that he is just focused on hockey he is showing what he is capable of. Like I said...probably won't be a star but he's one of those guys who can do a little bit of everything. On a sidenote, I was sad to see Trouba leave but he is one of the most gifted players I've ever seen coming through Ann Arbor. He was just on a different level from everyone else on the ice.
Thanks for replying, now I know a bit more about Copp.

I don't mind the pick, but I wish we had gone with someone like Lipsbergs who has higher upside.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 3585
Didn't do much at USNTDP then shot up for the U of M.

Interesting choice, didn't make any notes on him when I watched them. Guess that's a lesson for me.

Produced just behind highly rated 18 year olds Di Giuseppe and Nieves. That's a very good sign.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCjetsfan View Post
link is for andrew shaw?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
**** yeah, Andrew Shaw at 104.

I was looking up Shaw's stats to see how similar they were to Lipon's in junior.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Liked copp in the little bit I saw him at michigan. Actually drsfted him in a 7 round mock I did

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Joe Hallenback

Copp is solid must have seen a bit at Michigan. Good numbers for a rookie in College. Let him play there for a bit

Joe Hallenback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:40 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Him and trouba are bffs

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Dempsey

Amazingly 19 of his 21 points came in his final 22 games after he figured out th league a little. I drafted Copp in a fantasy keeper league last week.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:19 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Him and trouba are bffs
yup:

https://twitter.com/JacobTrouba/stat...930625/photo/1

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:25 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Copp is solid must have seen a bit at Michigan. Good numbers for a rookie in College. Let him play there for a bit
Like the fact that he can spend 2 maybe 3 more years there. Then maybe AHL for a year or two. Like the path college guys can take.

BigTuna49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:59 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

the kid looks good and maybe will have a bigger upside. He's BFF with Trouba? Even better!

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:59 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Amazingly 19 of his 21 points came in his final 22 games after he figured out th league a little. I drafted Copp in a fantasy keeper league last week.
Apparently he went from the 4th line to the 1st.

He will wear an 'A' next season.

Great little write up on him here:

http://michiganhockey.net/2013/06/30.../#.UdFtROVybFp

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:05 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Very interesting....not many two sport athletes left these days. Glad he is focused on hockey now.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 3140
http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocente...ed-share-video

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:47 AM
MHNet

Copp's one of those high energy, character kids you love to have on your team. He was definitely a bright spot on a team that struggled until the final month and a half. He'll be wearing the 'A' as a sophomore, which is rare at Michigan, so that speaks volumes of his character.

Projects to a 3rd/4th line role player, but then again, he was thought of as a 3rd/4th line type coming in to Michigan and look how he ended up. The first half of the season he was just that type of player, but U-M's struggles and his hard work opened up an opportunity for him to move up and he took full advantage of it. Here's his game-by-game stats. First half and second half of the season were night and day in terms of points. Not going to wow you with his puck skills...his production comes from effort. We'll get a better idea this season of his potential as he'll probably pick up where he left off and center the top line to start the year.

Good mid-draft pick for the Jets, and well deserved for Copp.

MHNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:34 PM
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub

Well said.... his production does come from effort. This was about as bad of a Michigan team as we've had in a long time, goaltending issues and some lack of leadership did them in, they almost put it together at the end but the impressive thing was I thought Copp and Trouba were the two of the most consistent players. Trouba is a stud but you have to like how him and Copp played in a tough situation this year. You would think they were seniors and MH is right, wearing the "A" as a sophomore is a huge honor for Copp. I actually coached against him in high school for football and he was a helluva quarterback too.

YostisHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:27 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Copp's interview is awesome!! Kid feels like he would be a great teammate. This guys feels like he will find a way onto our roster and excell in a roll for us at some point down the road.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 1316
Throws a mean football and now is a Jets prospect?

As someone said, if hockey does not work out for the kid, the Blue are always looking.

Get a sense that his compete is extremely high, and playing 2 sports where he was obviously excelling at both, he is a natural athlete. Give him some time marinating and he might really blossom.
The kicker is he is going to bring leadership skills and is obviously going to be a playmaker. If he makes it and is on the PP we can honestly say he is QBing it, and literally mean it.

Nice gamble pick.
I would suspect the fact that Trouba is on the Jets is going to motivate him even more.

I might even hazard future Captain if all the cards play right...long shot, but let Laddy teach him how it's done.

Last edited by Snot Rocket: 07-02-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:45 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post

As someone said, if hockey does not work out for the kid, the Blue are always looking.

Get a sense that his compete is extremely high, and playing 2 sports where he was obviously excelling at both, he is a natural athlete. Give him some time marinating and he might really blossom.
The kicker is he is going to bring leadership skills and is obviously going to be a playmaker. If he makes it and is on the PP we can honestly say he is QBing it, and literally mean it.

Nice gamble pick.
I would suspect the fact that Trouba is on the Jets is going to motivate him even more.

I might even hazard future Captain is all the cards play right...long shot, but let Laddy teach him how it's done.
Ladd, Kane, Bogo, Trouba, Lowry, Morrissey, Copp.

So many future captains.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:05 AM
MHNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post

Well, Copp did throw for a Michigan high school football record 557 yards in one game, so you never know

He did break his collarbone playing football in fall 2011, I think it was. I don't remember how long that kept him sidelined and if he missed any hockey from that after the football season was over. He definitely flew under the radar being a two-sport athlete/part-time hockey player the two years with the NTDP prior to Michigan. You could consider him a late bloomer as a result.

I think one nice thing about taking a chance on a kid a year older in the draft is that he has already played a full season against college players and proven himself. Granted, he's going to need to show that the second half of the season where his stock took off wasn't a fluke, but he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and motivation to lead this team.

MHNet is offline   Reply With Quote