HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 07:17 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
While we're on the subject of D, what's everyone's thoughts on Julian Melchiori? I was real excited when we drafted him and was my pick as a dark horse to possibly become a solid middle pairing D. With Trouba becoming one of the best D prospects in the league, it looks like the future defense is really good.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:34 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
While we're on the subject of D, what's everyone's thoughts on Julian Melchiori? I was real excited when we drafted him and was my pick as a dark horse to possibly become a solid middle pairing D. With Trouba becoming one of the best D prospects in the league, it looks like the future defense is really good.
Had probably the best rookie season of all rookies in St. John's. Still has some upside, good size, good skater, could definitely be an NHLer down the road. For now he will continue to ply his trade in St. John's, could see an expanded role in St. John's next year as I think St. John's will begin to filter out these veterans they keep signing (Jaffray, King, Ramsay, etc) and start using more prospects, guys like Melchiori, Klingberg, Telegin, Sutter, etc, etc will start to take more responsibility.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Had probably the best rookie season of all rookies in St. John's. Still has some upside, good size, good skater, could definitely be an NHLer down the road. For now he will continue to ply his trade in St. John's, could see an expanded role in St. John's next year as I think St. John's will begin to filter out these veterans they keep signing (Jaffray, King, Ramsay, etc) and start using more prospects, guys like Melchiori, Klingberg, Telegin, Sutter, etc, etc will start to take more responsibility.
Awesome. I'd watch him at camp and was amazed at his size and how well he used it. Wasn't afraid to throw his body around either. At the time, it did make me nervous when he left school early and joined the USHL.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:39 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
I think Jaff has a job as long as he wants one, but I agree about them filtering out some vets. Clearly this batch of Vets couldn't get it done. It is time for some young blood via draft picks and hopefully some undrafted UFAs. Back to Melch... It seemed all along (to me) like TNSE had a plan for him.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:39 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
I personally still like Melchiori more than Yuen... but I like both

Old
05-29-2013, 10:41 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Looks like Stoykewych has been improving and flying under the radar... Always thought this guy could be a possible long term project, but still don't know if he'll amount to more than a depth player:

Quote:
“Peter made strides in a number of areas this year,” noted Colorado College Assistant Coach, Eric Rud. “He emerged into our top defensive shut-down defender. He earned the coaching staff’s trust in all key situations. He became a leader as the season went along.”

While the Winnipeg native is known around campus for his perpetual smile, he’s also gained a reputation for selflessness. “Just in case he didn't toot his own horn enough and failed to mention it, Peter was elected by his teammates as an alternate captain for next season,” remarked Dave Moross, Director of Athletic Media Relations.

“He was also named to the all-tournament team at the WCHA Final Five in March (scored the game-winning goal in overtime against North Dakota) and received the annual Dave Peterson Award as our team's Most Improved Player in 2012-13,” added Moross.
http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672359

Old
05-29-2013, 11:12 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I personally still like Melchiori more than Yuen... but I like both
Yuen's skating is fun to watch. Skating and smarts are #1 and #2 on my priority list for D men.

Not saying Melch has poor skating. He moves pretty well for a big guy, but I like Yuen's upside a little more. Melch is obviously a little closer.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:48 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Klingberg is useless. All flash, no finish on the offense, unreliable on defense. He is quickly becoming something of a laughing stock here. I'd be happy if he stayed in Sweden.

Telegin wasn't great in the time before he was injured, but the jury is out

If the Jets organization ever gets deep enough that the Caps can dress enough prospects to not need the veteran players I'll be shocked.

I'd love to see TNSE keep Jaffray, Ramsey, Meech as a start, then look for a couple of veteran scoring forwards on the AHL free agent market.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Klingberg is useless. All flash, no finish on the offense, unreliable on defense. He is quickly becoming something of a laughing stock here. I'd be happy if he stayed in Sweden.

Telegin wasn't great in the time before he was injured, but the jury is out

If the Jets organization ever gets deep enough that the Caps can dress enough prospects to not need the veteran players I'll be shocked.

I'd love to see TNSE keep Jaffray, Ramsey, Meech as a start, then look for a couple of veteran scoring forwards on the AHL free agent market.
Fair enough. I do believe Klingberg will finish out his ELC in STJ next year.

Telegin has time yet. Give him a chance.

Getting a deep organization takes time. Manchester was much in the same situation as STJ is from 00-08. However loading up picks and acquiring depth, the LAK have managed to transform that team into a perennial contender while stocking with almost exclusively prospect talents (even the veterans like Bodnarchuk, Cliche, Legein, etc still have some NHL upside). I think this is the path WPG will take. Will it happen next year? No. Not ready yet. But hopefully it is coming the days of guys like Meech, Jaffray, King, Ramsay ending in 2-3 years. ALONG with being a competitive team in STJ. I do not want STJ to not be competitive, but I do want them to be a talent producer.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Yeah, Karlsson was not even close to "having it all figured out" when he came to the NHL. His defensive game was a MESS. I mean a rotten ridiculous mess. He was Cam Fowler bad when he broke in. It's improved steadily though, to just below average.

Postma is not a rock defensively. He never will be. Asking him to play defensively or play PK will always be a mistcast. Wanting him to be a physical player also wouldn't work. But he moves the puck real well, skates real well, decent enough positionally. Needs to continue to improve his defense, but it is not terrible like some make it out to be. It's below average, not horrendous. It will likely never be above average, but that's alright.

I take Postma's natural skill and upside over Redmond's slightly steadier lower upside play. But that's just MO.
Fair enough.

I agree with what you are saying, and 'terrible' is too subjective, and likely too strong a word. I don't see him improving his defensive play after 30+ games, but its still real early in his career. I just don't see the strides or development defensively. But, his offensive game certainly does have some reason for optimism.

I, too, wonder about the mix of dmen. Can a team have too many offensive minded d? Maybe. Probably. To me, this team is screaming for a Scuderi, McDonagh, Jackman, Orpik, or Hamhuis type dman - and no, Hainsey isn't the cure for that ailment, imo.

My perference - since Enstrom, Buff, Bogo (?), and likely Trouba, bring decent offensive games to the table - is to have a more rugged and defensive Redmond in the 3rd pairing, rather than another offensive-minded guy, but that may just be me.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:37 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Fair enough.

I agree with what you are saying, and 'terrible' is too subjective, and likely too strong a word. I don't see him improving his defensive play after 30+ games, but its still real early in his career. I just don't see the strides or development defensively. But, his offensive game certainly does have some reason for optimism.

I, too, wonder about the mix of dmen. Can a team have too many offensive minded d? Maybe. Probably. To me, this team is screaming for a Scuderi, McDonagh, Jackman, Orpik, or Hamhuis type dman - and no, Hainsey isn't the cure for that ailment, imo.

My perference - since Enstrom, Buff, Bogo (?), and likely Trouba, bring decent offensive games to the table - is to have a more rugged and defensive Redmond in the 3rd pairing, rather than another offensive-minded guy, but that may just be me.
That's pretty much my thought process as well. We need a bit more balance on the back end. I would Luke to see a good two-way LHD like Hamuis on the 2nd pair. And a Redmond Clitsome bottom pairing would be good.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:48 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Yeah, Karlsson was not even close to "having it all figured out" when he came to the NHL. His defensive game was a MESS. I mean a rotten ridiculous mess. He was Cam Fowler bad when he broke in. It's improved steadily though, to just below average.

Postma is not a rock defensively. He never will be. Asking him to play defensively or play PK will always be a mistcast. Wanting him to be a physical player also wouldn't work. But he moves the puck real well, skates real well, decent enough positionally. Needs to continue to improve his defense, but it is not terrible like some make it out to be. It's below average, not horrendous. It will likely never be above average, but that's alright.

I take Postma's natural skill and upside over Redmond's slightly steadier lower upside play. But that's just MO.
I honestly don't get peoples obsession with physical play from Dmen. Karlsson is "just below average" defensively? Compared to who, other Norris winners? He's ridiculously good at getting the puck, then moving it out. He forces so many turnovers in the D zone and his skating let him always be in the right spot.Enstrom is the same way (but worse than Karlsson at everything) but because he doesn't hit he's "bad" defensively? Makes no sense. There's a reason these guys get amazing results playing against other teams top lines

It's for this reason I think Postma will be better than Redmond. His struggles seem to me to be his decision making. If he can get used to the NHL speed of play I could see him becoming a decent NHL player

Old
05-29-2013, 12:54 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I honestly don't get peoples obsession with physical play from Dmen. Karlsson is "just below average" defensively? Compared to who, other Norris winners? He's ridiculously good at getting the puck, then moving it out. He forces so many turnovers in the D zone and his skating let him always be in the right spot.Enstrom is the same way (but worse than Karlsson at everything) but because he doesn't hit he's "bad" defensively? Makes no sense. There's a reason these guys get amazing results playing against other teams top lines

It's for this reason I think Postma will be better than Redmond. His struggles seem to me to be his decision making. If he can get used to the NHL speed of play I could see him becoming a decent NHL player
This would align with most scouting notes I've read.
They tend to say Postma has all the tools and Redmond has the toolbox... Now if only we could mesh them together as one

Old
05-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post

Lol, yeah I am the very very last guy who will equate hitting with defensive play. I mean the last. I was one of, if not the first, you pointed how Stuart is not great defensively here. Hitting has very little to do with anything defensively.

Karlsson moves the puck up the ice. However he is still prone to bad giveaways, poor positioning and for all his skating ability, he gets beat off the wall too much for my liking. Karlsson is a great defenseman. He is not a twoway guy, IMO. Put him with a solid dependable partner and yeah that makes a DOMINANT pairing, no doubt.

Norris is not about best defenseman, it's always most offensive defenseman. Mike freaking Green was nominated one year. Gonna tell me he was solid defensively?

With regards to Postma, I see the arguments about his style being more redundant in the Jets system. Of that I have no doubt. With RD Byfuglien, Trouba, Bogosian already, and LD Enstrom, I can see why the more dependable with less upside Redmond is more preferable for the team right now. But it's more to do with our particular depth, than the players involved, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E
I can agree with this. Ideally I would prefer a Scuderi, McDonagh, Orpik, Hamhuis, Regehr LD over a Hainsey. However it comes down to what we can add though. Not Jackman though, IMO, he has slown down too much.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Lol, yeah I am the very very last guy who will equate hitting with defensive play. I mean the last. I was one of, if not the first, you pointed how Stuart is not great defensively here. Hitting has very little to do with anything defensively.

Karlsson moves the puck up the ice. However he is still prone to bad giveaways, poor positioning and for all his skating ability, he gets beat off the wall too much for my liking. Karlsson is a great defenseman. He is not a twoway guy, IMO. Put him with a solid dependable partner and yeah that makes a DOMINANT pairing, no doubt.

Norris is not about best defenseman, it's always most offensive defenseman. Mike freaking Green was nominated one year. Gonna tell me he was solid defensively?

With regards to Postma, I see the arguments about his style being more redundant in the Jets system. Of that I have no doubt. With RD Byfuglien, Trouba, Bogosian already, and LD Enstrom, I can see why the more dependable with less upside Redmond is more preferable for the team right now. But it's more to do with our particular depth, than the players involved, IMO.

I can agree with this. Ideally I would prefer a Scuderi, McDonagh, Orpik, Hamhuis, Regehr LD over a Hainsey. However it comes down to what we can add though. Not Jackman though, IMO, he has slown down too much.
I agree with a player being physical doesn't mean that player is strong defensively. Stuart is a good example. I recall the Hainsey/Stuart debate about who is a better defensive defenseman.

Honestly, not sure if either would be considered great defensively, but Stuart brings an element of physical play, where Ron is better positionally, imo. Stuart is out-of-position more than most (jets) looking for the big hit, rather than using the hit or physical play when it presents itself and is the 'right play' in containing a player. Drives me crazy when he's trying to hit someone at the blueline or when there's a loose puck and he could easily grab it and move it to a teammate - instead the opposing team grabs the loose puck and the chase is on. But I digress. I guess I'm saying, I'm good with upgrading both. .

Being physical is only one element, and when it comes to playing defensively, would be a small part - I think most would agree with that. I like keeping forwards 'honest' - and having their head on a swivel - knowing they might be hit on a rush. Won't lie, love Troubas ability to step up and deliver a hit. But I also see the value of great positioning and great use of your stick. That's why Hainsey isn't a complete waste, imo. I appreciate the Lidstroms, Neidermeyers, and Ryan Murrays (at WC's last spring) as much as the next guy, but they are positionally strong and move the puck well under pressure.

Postma has a ways to go, and if he continues to be better offensively, he might resemble a Green or Campbell down the road. But neither of those two play well defensively either. That's all I'm saying with Postma. He might be the next Green (though Green is more physical. ), but he has a long ways to go defensively, imo.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:56 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:

I think you're overstating about how the Norris trophy works. But that's a different argument for a different time.

I'm the same way with regards to Karlsson's defensive play. Ottawa fans seem to think he can do no wrong yet there have been plenty of times when his defensive positioning reminds me of Buff. And for someone who is such a good skater, I don't understand how he gets beat to the outside on such a semi-regular basis. His backwards skating could use some improvement. I find Enstrom's(as well as Bogosian's) backwards skating much much better then Karlsson.

Last edited by BigTuna49: 05-29-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: I'm stupid....
Old
05-29-2013, 11:05 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
I think you're overstating about how the Norris trophy works. But that's a different argument for a different time.

I'm the same way with regards to Karlsson's defensive play. Ottawa fans seem to think he can do no wrong yet there have been plenty of times when his defensive positioning reminds me of Buff. And for someone who is such a good skater, I don't understand how he gets beat to the outside on such a semi-regular basis. His backwards skating could use some improvement. I find Enstrom's backwards skating much much better then Karlsson as well as Bogosian.
Duke do you mean Bogosian's backward skating along with Enstrom's is better than Karlsson....or......Toby's backward skating is better than Karlsson and Bogosian? Just having trouble figuring out the sentence.

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 05-29-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: fixin' quotes
Old
05-29-2013, 11:13 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Duke do you mean Bogosian's backward skating along with Enstrom's is better than Karlsson....or......Toby's backward skating is better than Karlsson and Bogosian? Just having trouble figuring out the sentence.
Fixd.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

So we've got a day to sign Yuen...... anyone else nervous yet?

Old
05-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Was just about to ask whether anyone had heard anything regarding either Yuen or Brassard. I'd assumed they'd have signed both by now. I like Yuen especially; he skates and carries himself on the ice like a young Dan Boyle in my view and I thought he might have a future here after a year or two in the A. Even Brassard projects as a possible useful energy guy down the road.

Old
05-30-2013, 12:25 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Is the deadline today or is it sometime tomorrow?

Old
05-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

tomorrow

Old
05-30-2013, 01:27 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
Fixd.
cool in which case I 100% agree with your statement. I am not sure I understand how a guy that skates with the puck like Karlsson can get beat to the outside? Is it a skating issue or just an ability to read and react? Someone who knows more about 4 way skating skills feel free to weigh in.

Old
05-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I really hope we sign Yuen. Odd that it has come down to the deadline..

Old
05-31-2013, 09:55 AM
truck
HFB Partner

****ing sign Zach Yuen already Chevy!

Closed Thread