Notices

The YETI - Soderberg

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 02:46 AM
Nose Face Killah
Finished The Job

vCash: 500
I have a question: how did one poster get a picture of Söderberg in a Boston uniform (taking a picture for the website) I can't find it anywhere online. My avatar is the photo. I just want to know the source of it

Old
04-22-2013, 04:33 AM
Ogrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Face Killah View Post
I have a question: how did one poster get a picture of Söderberg in a Boston uniform (taking a picture for the website) I can't find it anywhere online. My avatar is the photo. I just want to know the source of it
Photo gallery from 4/17
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/gallery.h...n=/photos&pg=1

Old
04-22-2013, 09:27 AM
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin

I like what I've seen from The Yeti so far. He's still going to need to get used to the physical play of the NHL and the speed of the game on the smaller ice surface. What I've really liked in his game so far is his willingness to go to the front of the net. Once he get's used to keeping his balance while being knocked around in front of the net I think he's going to be rewarded with some dirty goals.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:27 AM
WreckItRask

Simple assessment. He was better in game 2 than he was in game 1, which is really all you can ask of him at this point. He's not all the way there yet, but he was better, and I think he'll continue to get comfortable.

As for the line combos, I don't think they're wasting Jagr at all. This team will only win in the playoffs if they have three lines going. If the Krejci/Lucic line can figure it out, then the Bruins are matchup nightmare for an opponent. Who do you roll against the Jagr line? Your third pair of D?

Old
04-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Beesfan

My brief assessement so far:

- His skating was much better in Game 2.

- He's strong on the puck.

- He's very willing to go to corners and the front of the net.

- He gets too cute at the offensive blue line and turns the puck over.

- He likes to make real plays, rather than play dump and chase.

- Defensive coverage and breakouts are iffy.

I'm not sure yet if he is a better option than Peverley for the third line. We will have to see how he adjusts over the next two games. My guess is that he starts the playoffs as a healthy scratch. There are just too many holes in his game to start him over a proven player. It's nice to have him in reserve though, and I think he wil be quite good next year.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingcrwns View Post
I like what I've seen from The Yeti so far. He's still going to need to get used to the physical play of the NHL and the speed of the game on the smaller ice surface. What I've really liked in his game so far is his willingness to go to the front of the net. Once he get's used to keeping his balance while being knocked around in front of the net I think he's going to be rewarded with some dirty goals.
It's amazing how much I agree with you about this. I mean I was really upset that we were missing that type of player, like Knuble, Holmstrom, and the like. Not at that level obviously but just someone who can post up and get ready to clean up second and third chance opportunities. It's just what the doctor ordered. And he's no small cookie. Great for moving bodies and screening goalies. I expect to see some of that mean streak in him in front of the net too. A lot of jabbing and shoving, keep it coming kid, you'll be rewarded.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:40 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post

I'm not sure yet if he is a better option than Peverley for the third line. We will have to see how he adjusts over the next two games. My guess is that he starts the playoffs as a healthy scratch. There are just too many holes in his game to start him over a proven player. It's nice to have him in reserve though, and I think he wil be quite good next year.
He won't be scratched unless he plays significantly worse than his first two games. If he's scratched in favor of anyone named Campbell or Thornton it should Claude's last decision. We need offense and skill

Old
04-22-2013, 11:44 AM
theswede2013

Thornton will scratched. We do not need a fighter in there in the playoffs.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:46 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
It's amazing how much I agree with you about this. I mean I was really upset that we were missing that type of player, like Knuble, Holmstrom, and the like. Not at that level obviously but just someone who can post up and get ready to clean up second and third chance opportunities. It's just what the doctor ordered. And he's no small cookie. Great for moving bodies and screening goalies. I expect to see some of that mean streak in him in front of the net too. A lot of jabbing and shoving, keep it coming kid, you'll be rewarded.
I think he may be doing this because it's a simple way to produce offense? Once he knows the system, the players, and the league better, I expect we will see more. If you are new to a team, and don't know the system, you can still go to the net and be effective. I didn't think Soderberg would have a problem with the physicality, but he has been even more willing to go to the "dirty" areas than I had hoped.

The skill stuff will come with time imo.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Salem13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theswede2013 View Post
Thornton will scratched. We do not need a fighter in there in the playoffs.
How quickly they forget.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem13 View Post
How quickly they forget.
Yah the infusion of Thornton to that game really gave the B's a jump when they needed it. I assume if he does crack the roster he will be used in the same manner as 2011

Old
04-22-2013, 11:49 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
He won't be scratched unless he plays significantly worse than his first two games. If he's scratched in favor of anyone named Campbell or Thornton it should Claude's last decision. We need offense and skill
Thornton maybe, but no way Campbell should be scratched come playoff time. He's solid on the PK, historically decent on draws, etc. He's earned the right to center that 4th line so long as he's healthy.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:55 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
I think he's looked pretty good. He seems to skate really well for his size, and you can tell he's got some skills. It's going to take some time to get used to the Bruins system, his linemates, the speed of the NHL, etc. but so far so good IMO.

Also, I'm pretty pumped this team finally has some more size up front. Both Soderberg and Jagr are 230+ lbs. Much needed.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:59 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Thornton maybe, but no way Campbell should be scratched come playoff time. He's solid on the PK, historically decent on draws, etc. He's earned the right to center that 4th line so long as he's healthy.
if you honestly want to scratch a skill player over thornton or campbell then your making the same mistake that far too many people making in thinking sandpaper and character can win you the cup. they help but at the end of the day if you dont score more than the other team all the grit and character in the world wont save you.

soderberg kelly jagr is better than whatever other player you throw on the wing. its imperative that we have a third line with more than just jagr as a threat.

soderberg brings skill as well as good passing. he elevates that line from mediocre to dangerous in the playoffs.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:03 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:

Agree on everything. He chased a forward behind Rask yesterday, and by chased I mean he watched the guy skate away, then once he realized the guy had space to operate he finally made a move toward him...very slowly. I'm hoping it was just product of an extra long shift.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
I agree. I think Campbell is important to this team for sure, but Thornton should be a healthy scratch. Our offense has been at times, anemic this year. Especially on the powerplay. If any way possible I'd like to see Paille and Campbell, they've been nothing short of great this year in their respective roles.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Ogrim

Thankfully it's a game day decision who to scratch and it could be different guys depending on the match-up. In the end it'll be up to whoever feels like they might be the odd man out to make the most of these last games.
I'd think (if everyone's healthy that is) it's one of Thornton, Peverley and Söderberg.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Face Killah View Post

Old
04-22-2013, 12:14 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

very good stuff- I think he's like a 17 year old getting off the mean streets of some town and hitting the highway and needing to get up to speed. One thing about the NHL is it is a fast, faster, fastest league; most of these guys can haul and I cant believe the SEL has that many turbo charged players

Old
04-22-2013, 12:17 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
very good stuff- I think he's like a 17 year old getting off the mean streets of some town and hitting the highway and needing to get up to speed. One thing about the NHL is it is a fast, faster, fastest league; most of these guys can haul and I cant believe the SEL has that many turbo charged players
I think you guys are short-changing him a bit. Think he will play in the playoffs and be more effective as each game goes by.

He totally reminds me of what Wheeler looked like when he was struggling a bit and trying to be more physical. I'm hoping that the end results are similar because every time I have seen Wheeler this year, he looks pretty damn good.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
bp13

Quote:

I'm not in agreement about being strong on the puck. He seemed tentative to me and he lost his fair share of battles. Obviously different sets of eyes can see different things so agree to disagree.

The point about "real plays" vs. dump and chase is right, and it's like Jagr. the trouble is Jagr can pull it off at a decent success rate and Soderberg can't, at least not yet. Moreover, d-men in the NHL are excellent, obviously, and that's why turning them around and forechecking is often the best play. He'll have to learn that.

I was of the opinion he'd be a healthy scratch come playoffs unless we got real lucky and he was ready right away. However, it seems to me CJ has realized this team is screwed. Putting Jagr out there for entire power plays and letting Jagr and Soderberg play together tells me CJ realizes he's got two key wingers doing nothing (Lucic and Horton), and a few other forwards giving him spotty production (Krejci, Peverley, Kelly, etc.). This team is ripe to get run out in the first round, so why not try to catch lightning in a bottle with a few skill guys? That's what I see.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:31 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I think you guys are short-changing him a bit. Think he will play in the playoffs and be more effective as each game goes by.

He totally reminds me of what Wheeler looked like when he was struggling a bit and trying to be more physical. I'm hoping that the end results are similar because every time I have seen Wheeler this year, he looks pretty damn good.
Absolutely.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:32 PM
TSBruins13

Here is my assessment of the Yeti thus far:

1) Positive - Doesn't shy away from contact. It is true that he has fallen a few times and been easily pushed around, but I think this is just due to the fact that he isn't used to the physical play. That being said, he doesn't look like he is avoiding the physical play at all - just has to adjust to it.

2) Positive - He is a creative passer and looks to be a play-maker.

3) Positive - Every time I have seen him on the bench, he looks like he is really engaged in learning from others (particularly Jagr).

4) Negative- He seems to crowd the puck/puck carrier. After making passes it seems that he is going towards the the puck rather than moving to open space. Maybe its just an adjustment that he needs to make given that the ice is much smaller but it is something I have noticed on numerous occasions.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:46 PM
northeastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
I agree with thornton but disagree with campbell. We don't need a fighter in the playoffs right away, at some point I do think thorts will be suited up but at the begining yeti gets the nod.

3rd line will have soda kelly and jagr and the fourth will be pevs soup and pie in my opinion. Unless the DK line can't pull itself together.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
spylogic3

There's the dude who got Soderberg's "34" jersey:

LOL: Check out Khudobin ... he had time to change into his fancy suit

Closed Thread