The YETI - Soderberg

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 02:02 PM
bruinsfan001

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Soderberg is completely irrelevant on the ice. That's a smart scratch.
I actually see a lot of potential with him. He's big seems to have high hockey IQ, right type of player for the Bruins style. To be honest I think he's a major upgrade over what the Bruins had or for whatever unknown reason are still continuing to utilize (Hamilton on defense is another example). I would really hesitate to sit this guy. I think putting him in is a risk worth taking, especially early on in the playoffs. If they end up going with the line ups they've been using I would hope the new comers are on a very short leash, as in one mediocre game and they're sitting. There is no time in playoffs for line juggling everything should be aimed around strategy and icing the best possible team in front of you.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:11 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

would hate to see Soderberg or Peverley scratched over Shawn Thornton. Love Thornton, but playoffs are about pushing and mugging rarely see fighting in the post-season, so we don't need an enforcer on the ice. Both Soderberg & Peverley can play special teams, so having them in the line-up makes the most sense to me.

But it's Claude's team, and he has won more Stanley Cup's then I have!!

Old
04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Deal Law
S corps suck

I know this is the Yeti thread, but I DO NOT understand Claude's reluctance to play Jagr with Krejci and insistence on playing Horton/Lucic on that line (Lucic, given recent play, has more of a case to stay on said line).

Lucic-Krejci-Jagr
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Daugavins-Kelly-Horton
Thornton-Campbell-Paille

Chara-Hamilton
Seids-Redden
Ference-McQuaid

I like ^^^^^ lineup most. Though I may get flamed for it, I sit Boychuk game 1. Guy's been a turnstile the past few games. I also find it difficult to play Pevs and Yeti over Dogman right now. He really seems to have earned his way into the lineup given recent play (and despite a lack of actually burying his chances).

Old
04-30-2013, 02:59 PM
nycbruins*

Can we make a board rule that nobody is allowed to post the Krejci line as the "1st line". You're living in 2011. The Bergeron line is the 1st line, period.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:47 PM
redsox7327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal Law View Post
I know this is the Yeti thread, but I DO NOT understand Claude's reluctance to play Jagr with Krejci and insistence on playing Horton/Lucic on that line (Lucic, given recent play, has more of a case to stay on said line).

Lucic-Krejci-Jagr
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Daugavins-Kelly-Horton
Thornton-Campbell-Paille
Probably because that 3rd line would be really bad.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:32 PM
westernhome

would much rather see Horton sitting out than Soderberg

Old
04-30-2013, 06:35 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
would much rather see Horton sitting out than Soderberg
would much rather see them both in. What's the point of having this much top 9 talent if you're gonna scratch guys to dress an extra 4th line guy?

Old
04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
would much rather see them both in. What's the point of having this much top 9 talent if you're gonna scratch guys to dress an extra 4th line guy?
Well because right now Soderberg is a fringe 4th line player. Talent is fine but his game isn't ready and it's only going to get worse in the playoffs.

As for Horton sure play him, and he does have 1st line talent, but we all know how often we see that.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:21 PM
EverettMike

The quickest way to have your fans turn on your coach in any sport is to give him a lot of options on whom to play.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Gotta disagree, bp. I think Soderberg will be miles ahead of Dogman in the playoffs. Slow, dumb and clumsy doesn't really work in the playoffs.
True, Soderberg has some crazy legs and timing is off, but seriously, he just got here. He needs to play in order for him to help us. Otherwise, what was the point in rushing him to get here?

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there
Old
04-30-2013, 10:34 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Moreso than Thornton?

The B's biggest problem has been scoring. Thornton doesn't help you there, and there is no fighting in playoffs, so who possesses more ability to score, Soderberg or Thornton? Also, Soderberg was one of the only guys who seems willing to park his butt in front of the net regularly. Thornton hasn't been fighting, he doesn't hit, and he doesn't score.

Why is he in over Soderberg again?

Old
04-30-2013, 10:39 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
Gotta disagree, bp. I think Soderberg will be miles ahead of Dogman in the playoffs. Slow, dumb and clumsy doesn't really work in the playoffs.
True, Soderberg has some crazy legs and timing is off, but seriously, he just got here. He needs to play in order for him to help us. Otherwise, what was the point in rushing him to get here?
You don't play the guy just because you rushed him over here if he's not your best option. He loses his legs halfway thru every shift, and he doesn't make any impact when he's on the ice. Just because he was the star of a lesser league and we took a gamble on him isn't justification to play him when it counts.

Personally I wouldn't start Daugavins or Thornton over Peverley. But you have to admit Daugs was one of our best forwards this weekend. I think CJ could defend playing him at least in game 1. And absolutely over soderberg. I'd play Thornton over soderberg. But again, pevs should be in there.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:44 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Moreso than Thornton?

The B's biggest problem has been scoring. Thornton doesn't help you there, and there is no fighting in playoffs, so who possesses more ability to score, Soderberg or Thornton? Also, Soderberg was one of the only guys who seems willing to park his butt in front of the net regularly. Thornton hasn't been fighting, he doesn't hit, and he doesn't score.

To me that's not really the debate.

Thornton is in there to do what he does best (or used to). Maybe it's wise to get him in early to set a tone since the leafs have a few goons, who knows. But the issue is Peverley IMO. I would not scratch him for Daugs. If I was CJ and needed to gets Daugs in, I'd scratch Thornton.

Again though to me, Soderberg is a scratch either way. He's not doing anything for us, and I don't think he'll hold up in the playoffs.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:04 PM
westernhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
Daugavins is not slow

Old
04-30-2013, 11:23 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
To me that's not really the debate.

Thornton is in there to do what he does best (or used to). Maybe it's wise to get him in early to set a tone since the leafs have a few goons, who knows. But the issue is Peverley IMO. I would not scratch him for Daugs. If I was CJ and needed to gets Daugs in, I'd scratch Thornton.

Again though to me, Soderberg is a scratch either way. He's not doing anything for us, and I don't think he'll hold up in the playoffs.
Well, to me, the issue is that every guy you have mentioned is "not doing anything for us", and if that's the case, talent and the potential to do something should win out. That means Pevs and Soderberg are in, and Thornton and Daug are out.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:57 AM
stick9

Quote:
You don't play the guy just because you rushed him over here if he's not your best option. He loses his legs halfway thru every shift, and he doesn't make any impact when he's on the ice. Just because he was the star of a lesser league and we took a gamble on him isn't justification to play him when it counts.

Personally I wouldn't start Daugavins or Thornton over Peverley. But you have to admit Daugs was one of our best forwards this weekend. I think CJ could defend playing him at least in game 1. And absolutely over soderberg. I'd play Thornton over soderberg. But again, pevs should be in there.
The question needs be asked in reverse, why rush him over here if you aren't going to play him?

They rushed him over here because they thought he would bring something to the team. If you're scratching him over Pevs, ok I can see going with guy who has the experience. But scratching him over Daugavins or Thornton just seems ridiculous and I don't care how good Daugavins was this weekend.

Thornton 45 gms 3g 4a
Daugavins 25gms 1g 3a
Soderberg 6gms 0g 2a

Production wise there isn't a huge margin between these guys. Why not go with the talent.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Yeti34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
The question needs be asked in reverse, why rush him over here if you aren't going to play him?

They rushed him over here because they thought he would bring something to the team. If you're scratching him over Pevs, ok I can see going with guy who has the experience. But scratching him over Daugavins or Thornton just seems ridiculous and I don't care how good Daugavins was this weekend.

Thornton 45 gms 3g 4a
Daugavins 25gms 1g 3a
Soderberg 6gms 0g 2a

Production wise there isn't a huge margin between these guys. Why not go with the talent.
Because this is what Clode does, and these stupid desiscions on who he plays and where they play should be expected by now.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:05 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Moreso than Thornton?

Agreed, love ST, but I`d have no issue with him watching, whether that be for the full series, or a handful of games and see what the temperature of the series is, and let`s be honest, there`s usually not much call for fisticuffs during the playoffs which has me thinking, if Carlyle dresses Orr and McLaren, it`s a huge bonus for the B`s

Carlyle is in a bit of a tough situation there, both of those players, as little as they contribute in any other area, were somewhat instrumental in creating a new identity for the Leafs, but in the heat of playoff battle, would anyone here trust either if they were wearing Bruin jersey`s?? Not this fan

Old
05-01-2013, 08:07 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

If anyone sits (other than Peverley since it's been rumored he's not playing), it should be Thornton. Fighting is at a minimum and you don't really dress this guy for his hockey skills. Sit him and dress Soda...

Jagr-DK-Soda
Marchand-PB-Segs
Lucic-Kelly-Horton
Paille-Campbell-Dog

Thornton and Peverley (long time coming for him) get to sit game 1. Game 2 I'd put Pevs back in over the dog (provided dog doesn't do something to force his way back in)

Old
05-01-2013, 08:09 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
If anyone sits (other than Peverley since it's been rumored he's not playing), it should be Thornton. Fighting is at a minimum and you don't really dress this guy for his hockey skills. Sit him and dress Soda...

Jagr-DK-Soda
Marchand-PB-Segs
Lucic-Kelly-Horton
Paille-Campbell-Dog

Thornton and Peverley (long time coming for him) get to sit game 1. Game 2 I'd put Pevs back in over the dog (provided dog doesn't do something to force his way back in)
And Thornton`s speed or lack of is concerning

Old
05-01-2013, 08:13 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post

Thornton 45 gms 3g 4a
Daugavins 25gms 1g 3a
Soderberg 6gms 0g 2a

I don't understand why "going with the talent" should be the prevailing wisdom. There are plenty of talented players who don't see the ice because of poor defense, poor conditioning, etc. Soderberg isn't doing anything. His "talent" is reason enough to be optimistic about his future here, but that doesn't mean he's one of the top 12 forwards to help you win TONIGHT.

And so what if they rushed him over here...he hasn't done anything. Are they supposed to play him just because they made an effort to get him? He's here for the long haul now and I'm sure they're happy about that, but that doesn't mean he's ready for the NHL playoffs.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:15 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
And Thornton`s speed or lack of is concerning
Yup. Besides that, he's someone you inject into the series if you need a spark, not a must dress. My fear is that CJ is off the reservation because so many players on this team have given a half assed effort for the last 2 months, that he's going to roll his 4, and Thornton will get a decent amount of ice time. If that happens, this series is going to go south real fast.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:18 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I don't understand why "going with the talent" should be the prevailing wisdom. There are plenty of talented players who don't see the ice because of poor defense, poor conditioning, etc. Soderberg isn't doing anything. His "talent" is reason enough to be optimistic about his future here, but that doesn't mean he's one of the top 12 forwards to help you win TONIGHT.

And so what if they rushed him over here...he hasn't done anything. Are they supposed to play him just because they made an effort to get him? He's here for the long haul now and I'm sure they're happy about that, but that doesn't mean he's ready for the NHL playoffs.
Because even with him adjusting to the NA game, and learning a new system, he brings more upside and potential than giving a guy who is nothing more than a fighter that spot. It's pointless to have Thornton playing because his skill set isn't really needed right now. If Toronto takes liberties (which I don't think will happen) in game one and Thornton is sitting, they can always bring him in for game two. He's just not a guy you have to dress during the playoffs because he ties up a spot that could be used more effectively.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Because even with him adjusting to the NA game, and learning a new system, he brings more upside and potential than giving a guy who is nothing more than a fighter that spot. It's pointless to have Thornton playing because his skill set isn't really needed right now. If Toronto takes liberties (which I don't think will happen) in game one and Thornton is sitting, they can always bring him in for game two. He's just not a guy you have to dress during the playoffs because he ties up a spot that could be used more effectively.
Agreed, nobody can convince me that a team who is/has been struggling offensively, should be sitting anyone with some offensive skill regardless if that skill hasn`t necessarily translated into pts yet. I`ve watched him doing some really positive things in the offensive zone, and IMO, it`s more about timing/chemistry than anything else

Old
05-01-2013, 08:26 AM
bp13

Quote:
Well, to me, the issue is that every guy you have mentioned is "not doing anything for us", and if that's the case, talent and the potential to do something should win out. That means Pevs and Soderberg are in, and Thornton and Daug are out.
Talent and potential doesn't win out if it could hurt you more than help you. IMO the chances Soderberg has a defensive lapse or a tired shift that could cost you a goal FAR outweighs the same thing happening with any of the other three. Enough so that he'd need to make up for it with added offensive promise, and he hasn't shown he can do that.

Closed Thread