The YETI - Soderberg

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 11:05 AM
bp13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
It's easy to see that Soderberg has more offensive skills in this left pinky that Dogman does in his entire body. Not skating Soda with Jagr is an insane strategy but I'm not suprised that Clode is sticking to that strategy.
It's equally easy to see that he's done next to nothing so far, he's all over the place defensively, and he can't make it through a shift without being gassed.

Yes, he's more likely to score given the chance because he seems to have more skill. He's also more likely to cost you a goal because he's a mess defensively and his conditioning isn't up to par for NHL playoffs. I think it's reasonable to fear the latter much more than to have confidence in the former.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:12 AM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
It's equally easy to see that he's done next to nothing so far, he's all over the place defensively, and he can't make it through a shift without being gassed.

Yes, he's more likely to score given the chance because he seems to have more skill. He's also more likely to cost you a goal because he's a mess defensively and his conditioning isn't up to par for NHL playoffs. I think it's reasonable to fear the latter much more than to have confidence in the former.
He's got 2 points in 6 games; quadruple the points on a per-game basis that stiffs like Thornton and Dogman have.

He literally just got here from Eurpope. Of course he's going to have needed a few games to get acclimated. Yes, he's been gassed and unsteady on his skates several times, but he's also made some great passes and taken some great shots. If he's on a third line with Jagr, up against a second or third D pairing, he'll be incredibly more likely to score points than will a mucker like Dogman, who literally can't generate offense on a line with Jagr. Dogman is a 13th forward; Soda is a #9 who needs to get a little more conditioning, but has already provided offensive production. To say they're interchangeable is really off the mark, imo, (and I usually agree with your posts...!)

We sit him at our peril.

Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
2014 Bruins turned me into South Shore Kings fan
Old
05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
He's got 2 points in 6 games; quadruple the points on a per-game basis that stiffs like Thornton and Dogman have.

He literally just got here from Eurpope. Of course he's going to have needed a few games to get acclimated. Yes, he's been gassed and unsteady on his skates several times, but he's also made some great passes and taken some great shots. If he's on a third line with Jagr, up against a second or third D pairing, he'll be incredibly more likely to score points than will a mucker like Dogman, who literally can't generate offense on a line with Jagr. Dogman is a 13th forward; Soda is a #9 who needs to get a little more conditioning, but has already provided offensive production. To say they're interchangeable is really off the mark, imo, (and I usually agree with your posts...!)

We sit him at our peril.
Not true about the points in regards to Thornton (double the PPG, but not quadruple).

Regardless, Soderberg was atrocious Sunday night against Ottawa. Hurt the team. Probably the most unfortunately timed bad game he could have possibly had to make his case as an every night player in the post season at this point.

And I like him. But I also think that "we sit him at our peril" is overselling it a bit.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
First and foremost as someone who can somewhat neutralize Orr or McLaren if one of them starts running around. Those 2 would eat McQuaid and you can't have Lucic or Chara go with them. Orr starts running around, Thornton addresses it.

I also think we could see some scraps this series. Two rough and tumble teams/coaches (Carlisle more than Claude even).

The merlot line's been great the last few weeks too, one of the few bright spots more often than not during the slump. And while I agree with the faults you list for ST, I also like the energy he brings in the post season. He buzzes around a lot more and is more assertive than he usually is. I still don't think he gets enough credit for turning that Vancouver series around.
This isn't a hate-on Thornton agenda, I like him, but to my eyes he has not been the same player he was two years ago. Also, I think it was more Rome who turned the VAN series around than any Bruin. This is why I hope that TOR actually does try to instigate with the B's.

As far as Orr and McLaren go, not even sure they are playing and if TOR wants to roll them out, better for the B's. Toughness is a team concept and the B's have guys other than Thornton who can take care of business. McQuaid would not get eaten alive by either of those guys IMO.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
bp13

Quote:

We sit him at our peril.
I'll make this point as simply as I can:

Soderberg often looks behind the play and tired. The playoffs are an extra level and all of us know it. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be petrified of having a player on the ice with conditioning issues, talented or not. For this reason alone I'd sit him.

If you get down a game or two and your offense is sputtering, then you roll the dice and give him a chance and hope his offense overcomes his defense/conditioning. But until then, play the guys who are fit.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Not really. What about Soderberg's play in Boston tells you he's likely to produce anything in the near future?

Soderberg and Daugavins are interchangeable IMO. Both do very little at this point. Daugavins looked very good in the last two games, so I'd give him the game tonight. If he falters, then maybe you try Soderberg.
Pretty sure Dawg would not have led the SEL in goal scoring this year?

I get your point, but we know what Dawg is, we really don't know what Sodeberg is yet. If they are both giving you zero, I go with the guy that has the upside. The thing that made the B's so tough to play against two years ago was the third line mismatch, you said it yourself. IMO, when you put Dawg in on that 3rd line, you don't have a mismatch, with Soderberg, you could.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:31 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
This isn't a hate-on Thornton agenda, I like him, but to my eyes he has not been the same player he was two years ago. Also, I think it was more Rome who turned the VAN series around than any Bruin. This is why I hope that TOR actually does try to instigate with the B's.

As far as Orr and McLaren go, not even sure they are playing and if TOR wants to roll them out, better for the B's. Toughness is a team concept and the B's have guys other than Thornton who can take care of business. McQuaid would not get eaten alive by either of those guys IMO.
Much like Thornton post-Scott, Quaider post-clot has not been the same. Kid needs to put some weight back on.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
First and foremost as someone who can somewhat neutralize Orr or McLaren if one of them starts running around. Those 2 would eat McQuaid and you can't have Lucic or Chara go with them. Orr starts running around, Thornton addresses it.

I also think we could see some scraps this series. Two rough and tumble teams/coaches (Carlisle more than Claude even).

The merlot line's been great the last few weeks too, one of the few bright spots more often than not during the slump. And while I agree with the faults you list for ST, I also like the energy he brings in the post season. He buzzes around a lot more and is more assertive than he usually is. I still don't think he gets enough credit for turning that Vancouver series around.
When was the last time Thornton addressed someone running around? I can't remember 1 time this season. Actually I remember one time and that was Rinaldo.

Who knows maybe McQuaid can handle Orr or Mclaren if he gets mad enough.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM
bp13

Quote:
Pretty sure Dawg would not have led the SEL in goal scoring this year?

I get your point, but we know what Dawg is, we really don't know what Sodeberg is yet. If they are both giving you zero, I go with the guy that has the upside. The thing that made the B's so tough to play against two years ago was the third line mismatch, you said it yourself. IMO, when you put Dawg in on that 3rd line, you don't have a mismatch, with Soderberg, you could.
And if they're both giving me zero, I go with the guy who doesn't take from me. And Soderberg is a mess defensively and isn't well-conditioned. It's an easy call for me at this point.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
And if they're both giving me zero, I go with the guy who doesn't take from me. And Soderberg is a mess defensively and isn't well-conditioned. It's an easy call for me at this point.
Not surprised that Soderberg is playing into shape. Much easier schedule in the SEL, and he hasn't played much in the last 3-4 weeks. You keep saying he was a mess defensively, but I didn't see it. Definite room for improvement, but I thought he did a good job when Close had him at C for the one game.

Agree to disagree.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:57 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Not surprised that Soderberg is playing into shape. Much easier schedule in the SEL, and he hasn't played much in the last 3-4 weeks. You keep saying he was a mess defensively, but I didn't see it. Definite room for improvement, but I thought he did a good job when Close had him at C for the one game.

Agree to disagree.
That whole line sucked against the Sens. Was definitely his worst game. Kelly was bad too FWIW.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:

why do you keep saying hes a mess defensively and isnt well conditioned.

certainly hes not as speedy as daugavins and because hes a very smooth skater (like most euros) he looks effortless unlike a guy like daugavins who looks like hes trying harder. at times soderberg certainly looks unfamiliar with his teammates and the size difference of the rink but it seems like youve taken that and turned it into him being out of shape.

as for the defensively mess i strongly disagree. is he bergeron or kelly.... no but go back and watch how often his back pressure breaks up plays and notice that when he picks up a man on the rush he stays with him all the way past the net...unlike what kelly did the other night against ottawa on that game winning goal when he let the player skate away from him and collect the rebound.

speaking of the ottawa game a lot was made of the soderberg turn over and i think it was very unfair.

soderberg was skating along the boards about 3 feet away from the bruins puck carrier (not sure who). the ottawa defender was closing in and the bruin passed it to soderberg. that was the first mistake. the defender is close in and you pass it to the guy with even less space to do anything with the puck. it was like "here you turn it over i dont want to get in trouble" should have been dumped in right there. soderberg had very little time to react when getting the pass. his mistake for trying to cut in and avoid the defender. he should ahve just chipped it by the defender. bad turn over but there were a few more lousy plays after that far more responsible for the goal. cant remember who got the puck along the boards in our end and rather than making the smart play tried to force it back up the boards with 3 or 4 players along it. another turn over. then kelly had the goal scorer but started gliding and watching the puck and let his man beat him to the net for the game winner.

was the soderberg turn over the wrong play. absolutely but it was just a small part of a bunch of bad plays in a row. he just got too much of the blame probably because hes the new guy with no track record of being a good defensive player like kelly for example.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:

Fair enough, difference of opinions.

On McQuaid, I disagree there too. Old McQuaid would have been able to stand in against those 2. This season McQuaid I think would have his head handed to him by either of them. Not a knock on him as he's clearly lost a ton of weight after the injury/surgery, but if you're losing decisively to the Tanner Glass's of the league you shouldn't be tangling with Orr/McLaren types.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:49 PM
westernhome

huh?

Soderberg is not a "mess defensively", if anything that has been his stronger point, he has broken up plays in his own end, led the entire team in blocked shots the last game, etc.... he wasn't at all at fault on that goal where Daugavins lost his stick.

Soderberg should be playing center though as that is what he is used to

Old
05-01-2013, 01:06 PM
bruins repeat time

I love mcquaid but he has never been or never will be able to compete with orr or McLaren in a fight . He is a 2nd tier fighter----frasers class . People on here I don't think ever look at fighters opponent which is why people think mcquaid is in Thorntons class. Back to hockey---the 4th line has been awesome last 2 games which is why you cant break them up at this point. Daugs was very good last game . Pevs Sods daugs and about half our forwards are pretty interchangeable right now which is a good thing. If we were to lose Horton Kelly etc there would be a drop off but fairly small. As long as we keep bergy krecj marchy segs in that order healthy were ok. Its just one game if daugs adds nothing or the 4th line crumbles you will see changes.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:14 PM
bruins repeat time

I personally don't see a problem with soderbergs defense but I don't get where people think he has done that much here . Im fine with him in or out of the line up. It sure beats having him and pevs not pandolfo caron bourque ready to jump in.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

I haven't seen any problem with Soderberg's defense either. I saw him tired on a couple of backcheck situations but nothing unusual. He's been better than average which tells me there's much more.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Ogrim

Quote:

Agree to disagree.
Totally agree with this and it seems to have gone by unnoticed on these boards. A wing (Kelly) taking faceoffs for the true center (Yeti) is not an impossible strategy if that makes the line better.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Alan Ryan

Soderberg just needs more time. He has the skill.

The Bruins line-up is looking pretty good after two periods in game one, in spite of all the angst in here.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:22 PM
misterjaggers

Soderberg's acknowledged (more than once) that his game conditioning is less than 100% due to being suspended, etc.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Nose Face Killah
🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝

Claude better play him in Game 2.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:03 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Face Killah View Post
Claude better play him in Game 2.
I thought line 3 needed a bit more skill on it for sure. I'd alternate him and Daugs, but after a win like that it's tough to make that change.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:18 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
I thought line 3 needed a bit more skill on it for sure. I'd alternate him and Daugs, but after a win like that it's tough to make that change.
Jägr was outstanding tonight. Now imagine how good he could have been with some skill on the other wing. Not nagging on Dawg, who was adequate, but TOR will be better Saturday and the B's need to pump up that third line a bit. Maybe Clode can keep both Gus hungry and give TOR different looks by alternating them?

Old
05-01-2013, 09:21 PM
bp13

Quote:
Jägr was outstanding tonight. Now imagine how good he could have been with some skill on the other wing. Not nagging on Dawg, who was adequate, but TOR will be better Saturday and the B's need to pump up that third line a bit. Maybe Clode can keep both Gus hungry and give TOR different looks by alternating them?
Claude knows what he's doing.

And I don't think adding Soderberg is likely. Daugs was fine. Keep it going.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:46 PM
DoubleAAAA

Daug may have saved a goal on that backcheck on Bozaks breakaway.

Closed Thread