The YETI - Soderberg

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Marley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
We must play him. I just went to Sweden and Finland a few weeks ago screwing this kid over doesn't sit well with me and reeks of arrogance to not play one of Sweden's best players instead of Thornton (ineffective w/o GC) or some scrub who deked into the goalie on an empty net in OT.
What did Yeti show in the handful of games that he has played in the NHL that makes you believe he is ready to play in the Cup finals?

Old
06-14-2013, 12:18 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
What did Yeti show in the handful of games that he has played in the NHL that makes you believe he is ready to play in the Cup finals?
He was the best player outside the NHL this year.

Instead of Carl I know what I have seen from the others who are his competition for that spot. I freakin have seen a third line that can't score in a brothel for 17 full f-ing games and another healthy scratch who was played over him decide to try a deke when the net was wide open in double OT of a Cup Finals game. Horton has a separated shoulder. Its f-ing time to play the kid (and he is 27 or 28 by now so experienced.)

The depth guys playing over him suck balls Paille and the now injured GC aside.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
He looked as good as any other one of our players during that stretch of time for the Bruins.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:29 AM
captainkidd

So why can't we just put him in, give him some sheltered minutes and if he looks good, play him more. We're not the same team without Merlot in and aside from Seguin, the bottom six needs a boost, especially with no Horton.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:39 AM
roguepatriot

Quote:
1) He showed he can play on NHL ice. In fact he said he prefers to play on NHL ice than the bigger surface.
2) He showed creativity, which is sadly lacking on the 3rd line and which is going to be needed versus the Blackhawks.
3) He showed some chemistry with Jagr, which could help on th PP.
4) He showed he can play Julien's game.
5) For some of those games he was in the top 3 forwards from the Bruins,as everyone was playing badly.

Outside of that, he can score, he can pass and he can check. He is a complete 2 way player.

I am getting fed up with North Americans who think other countries' leagues are less than the AHL. Sure he hasn't played for a month ,during which he has had time to familiarise himself with the Bruin's system, but neither have the other realistic replacements. Maybe he needs to be on the 4th line for the first game and play Thorton minutes +PP. But if Horton is out, I am pretty sure he needs to be playing if this team wants to beat the best opponent they have faced all year. Hopefully Julien agrees with some of the above and they can unleash the Yeti.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:16 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguepatriot View Post
1) He showed he can play on NHL ice. In fact he said he prefers to play on NHL ice than the bigger surface.
2) He showed creativity, which is sadly lacking on the 3rd line and which is going to be needed versus the Blackhawks.
3) He showed some chemistry with Jagr, which could help on th PP.
4) He showed he can play Julien's game.
5) For some of those games he was in the top 3 forwards from the Bruins,as everyone was playing badly.

Outside of that, he can score, he can pass and he can check. He is a complete 2 way player.

I am getting fed up with North Americans who think other countries' leagues are less than the AHL. Sure he hasn't played for a month ,during which he has had time to familiarise himself with the Bruin's system, but neither have the other realistic replacements. Maybe he needs to be on the 4th line for the first game and play Thorton minutes +PP. But if Horton is out, I am pretty sure he needs to be playing if this team wants to beat the best opponent they have faced all year. Hopefully Julien agrees with some of the above and they can unleash the Yeti.
I think Soderberg will be a good player for the Bruins next season.

Old
06-14-2013, 05:38 AM
Ogrim

I'm on the fence about playing the Yeti. Caron and Daugavins might be safer options at this point.

With that said. They need to find a way to contain Chicagos bottom 6 and one thing that sticks out with them are Krugers 37% at the dot and Bollands 44% (playoffs).
The match up might make Clode more comfortable to play Söderberg. Because he needs to be at center and his bad to mediocre face-off ability made Clode play him at wing or with Kelly as baby sitter on the faceoffs. That sort of sheltering of a player limits the options more than Clode likes.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:23 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguepatriot View Post
1) He showed he can play on NHL ice.
Actually, he hasn't. I saw a player who continually misjudged where the sidewalls were and ended up clogging skating lanes, running into linemates, and misjudging where passes were going.

And the Bruins' system that they play is difficult to adapt to for veteran players who are already used to the size of the rink. The AHL regulars work within the same system and have been all season; not Soderberg. The players who are being called up ahead of him have already played more than a handful of NHL-level hockey games; not Soderberg.

And NHL playoff hockey is a more intense game than Soderberg has ever had to play. One little mistake (see Krug, Torey) and the other team pounces and capitalizes almost before full comprehension of what just happened is realized.

There is too much for Soderberg to absorb and only a short amount of time to for him to do it. The safe play -- and folks who have watched the Bruins under Julien for any length of time know he is a bit risk-averse -- is to let Soderberg watch from above and learn. He did this with Seguin two seasons ago until he was forced to play him. It will be that way in Soderberg's case as well.

I can understand your frustration, but it is yours and you are going to have to handle the fact that he is very unlikely to see any ice time during the final Cup series.

Quote:
I am getting fed up with North Americans who think other countries' leagues are less than the AHL. Sure he hasn't played for a month ,during which he has had time to familiarise himself with the Bruin's system, but neither have the other realistic replacements.
Some other countries' leagues are less than the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
I think Soderberg will be a good player for the Bruins next season.
^ What misterjaggers said.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:08 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

1) The SEL is not one of those leagues that is lesser talented than the AHL, who cares about the ones that are?

2) Krug's mistake could have resulted in a goal in a playoff, regular season, AHL or Pee Wee game, and could have just as easily been made by a vereran d-man (they made mistakes in the game as well) so I'm not sure what the point is here? Particularly, when Krug had been playing so well even with his lack of experience?

3) As long as we are discussing mistakes, we can talk about the fact that Clode's number one play it safe choice (who is also not from the B's system) could have ended the game in OT on a great opportunity that a more skilled player (cough Soderberg) would have buried.

4) Soderberg is a 27 yr old Pro player that has been in the SEL playoffs, WC games, etc. He is not an 18 yr old kid as Seguin was, so the comparison is a little off.

5) The linemate that Soderberg was running into was Jagr. Marchand has played with him since the deadline and is STILL running into him.

I'm not saying that Soderberg WILL be in. Given Clode's conservative bend, that is unlikely. I'm saying be SHOULD be in. You don't get to the Cup Finals every year, I would like to see the B's try to win the games, rather than not lose them.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Fossy21
Himalayan Goal King

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
5) The linemate that Soderberg was running into was Jagr. Marchand has played with him since the deadline and is STILL running into him.
This point is valid, when I watched those games where Jagr, Kelly and Sods played together (and played quite well, under the circumstances, they were probably the most productive line in at least two of those 6 games) I thought Carl kept running into him because he wasn't used to the ice surface difference/NA play, but I recently saw Bergeron run into Jagr twice on the same shift (one of the last two Pens games, I think). I guess it's the price you have to pay with Jagr, that you miss out on some potential opportunities. However, the reward is greater than that price, obviously. But yeah... when it happened to Söderberg, people most likely accredited it to him being a noob:y European softy.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Marley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
He looked as good as any other one of our players during that stretch of time for the Bruins.
Not really. He looked lost and overwhelmed at times. I think he'll be a fantastic player for the Bs, next year.

That said, if Julien feels it's in the best interest of the team to put him out there, I'd be ok with that decision.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:48 AM
MioneRask134
Queen in the North

Quote:
Not really. He looked lost and overwhelmed at times. I think he'll be a fantastic player for the Bs, next year.

We must have been watching different games because he didn't look lost or overwelmed. His first game he was feeling it all out. But after that he was beginning to pick up the pace of the game. He was very good with Jagr. And on the pp he showed great chemistry with the boys.

The guy is 27 years old who knows how to play the game. He's not some wide eyed 18 year old . You sat Thorton for 2 periods. You played Dog limited minutes. You can't tell me Soderberg wouldn't help them with his skill compared to the limited time they got. The guy would help this team.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:52 AM
patty59

Quote:
1) The SEL is not one of those leagues that is lesser talented than the AHL, who cares about the ones that are?

2) Krug's mistake could have resulted in a goal in a playoff, regular season, AHL or Pee Wee game, and could have just as easily been made by a vereran d-man (they made mistakes in the game as well) so I'm not sure what the point is here? Particularly, when Krug had been playing so well even with his lack of experience?

3) As long as we are discussing mistakes, we can talk about the fact that Clode's number one play it safe choice (who is also not from the B's system) could have ended the game in OT on a great opportunity that a more skilled player (cough Soderberg) would have buried.

4) Soderberg is a 27 yr old Pro player that has been in the SEL playoffs, WC games, etc. He is not an 18 yr old kid as Seguin was, so the comparison is a little off.

I'm not saying that Soderberg WILL be in. Given Clode's conservative bend, that is unlikely. I'm saying be SHOULD be in. You don't get to the Cup Finals every year, I would like to see the B's try to win the games, rather than not lose them.
1) true
2) also true, mistakes happen, but I don't remember many dmen throwing the puck up the middle during a line change like that.
3)The decision had more to do with PK ability and the loss of Campbell, not a mistake on CJ IMO.
4) He's never played in the WC
5)What's with this? Don't they talk out there?

If Horton can't go, then I think it comes down to Soderberg or Caron, personally I would go with Soderberg, but there is an argument to be made for Caron, like the fact he's played a hockey game in the past month and a half.

I'm going to say that unless Horton's arm has fallen off and they can't find it, he'll play.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:18 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Apparently the original poster? He said "other countries' leagues"; I just quoted him. For the record, I'm not saying the SEL is a lesser league.

Quote:
2) Krug's mistake could have resulted in a goal in a playoff, regular season, AHL or Pee Wee game, and could have just as easily been made by a vereran d-man (they made mistakes in the game as well) so I'm not sure what the point is here?
I think you do but are simply continuing to be...what was your word, "pissy"? The point is, small mistakes like Krug's are amplified to the nth degree in the Stanley Cup final series, where two top conference teams are vying for the cup. One of them (not the Bruins) chewing the competition up and spitting them out during the regular season.

I will agree with your choice of words "could have" for all but the playoffs. I think in the playoffs the more appropriate choice of words are "extremely likely to", and in this case did.

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. Didn't see much evidence of that during the regular season. Not likely to see it during the playoffs. Certainly no reason to expect it.

Quote:
Maybe. Maybe only a little. Or maybe closer than you care. Doesn't matter to me. You see it one way and I see it another. <shoulder shrug>

Quote:
Don't see it. Agree to disagree I guess.

I constantly saw Soderberg misjudging where the walls are, and running into players more than once, more than just Jagr. He was out of position a lot. During the playoffs I see this as a huge liability especially against a team like Chicago. Again, you can disagree all you like but that's my opinion based on how I saw him play.

Quote:
I'm not saying he won't be in. I'm saying it's doubtful, but not impossible. Again, like it or not, Seguin as the example.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Fossy21
Himalayan Goal King

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
4) He's never played in the WC
He was Sweden's best player in Karjala Tournament and arguably in Channel One Cup during the lockout, where the opponents (especially Russia) had more stacked teams than they have in most WC tournaments - Ovi, Malkin, Datsyuk, Radulov, Kovalchuk, et al.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Fossy21
Himalayan Goal King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
I constantly saw Soderberg misjudging where the walls are, and running into players more than once, more than just Jagr. He was out of position a lot. During the playoffs I see this as a huge liability especially against a team like Chicago. Again, you can disagree all you like but that's my opinion based on how I saw him play.

I'm not saying he won't be in. I'm saying it's doubtful, but not impossible. Again, like it or not, Seguin as the example.
Thing is, you're basing your judgment that it's doubtful on data you gathered in games two months ago. I don't see it as particularly more unlikely than Caron getting the nod, not at all. I doubt Claude is looking at those games in April and considering Carl's play there over his performance during practices. Unless you've attended those with great regularity, I think you're giving too much relevance to how he acted on the smaller ice surface two months ago.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

And GD gets it. And I'm surprised more here aren't on 100% on board with him.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:39 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Me too, very surprised.

Time to see what the Swede has to offer.

SWEDE...SWEDE...SWEDE (Heartbreak ridge reference)

Old
06-14-2013, 10:48 AM
pucky

FWIW, I think Sods should be in, too. A 27 y.o. semi-pro or pro in the elite Swedish Leagues should be enough to convince.

But, I read recently on the ESPN site, that reports seem to indicate a leaning towards either Caron or Pandolfo (if Horton can't play). Anyone know if this is a legit rumour?

Old
06-14-2013, 10:51 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
I'm with you guys, and I was before Game 1. Do not want to see Daugavins play hockey ever again, unless it is for the Habs.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:52 AM
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin

Quote:
I agree entirely, I was in favor of putting Soderberg in the lineup over Daugavins when the Bruins lost Campbell, but understand why Claude did what he did. Daugavins is a better fit for the biggest void that was created when Soupy broke his leg blocking that shot; he can shoulder some of the PK and allow Krejci and his linemates to be fresh coming off the bench as soon as the penalty is up.

Now with Horton going down I think the nod should go to Soderberg. I agree he looked like a player getting accustomed to a smaller ice surface when he first showed up, but being on the ice for practice during the playoffs has probably improved that quite a bit.

It's not that Caron's a bad choice, it's a difficult decision, and it's one I hope doesn't have to be made because Horton's feeling good enough to play, but if this was a poll, and I could vote for Yeti / Caron / Pandolfo / Bourque / Camper / Other... I'd cast my vote for Yeti to get the nod in game 2. If he can't hack it, you re-evaluate for game 3.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:01 AM
SPLBRUIN

Quote:

Great post, I have been pretty vocal over how I felt between Soderberg going in and Daugavins ( pro Yeti) to replace Soup and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Soderberg has big talent, we can't keep going conservative when the other option brings you zero offensive possibilities, sure he may make mistakes but he also might score too and bring that 3rd line to life. Personally I hope to never see the Dogman in a Bruins uniform again because that missed open net could be the difference between winning and losing the cup. Their is a reason why he couldn't crack the Sens lineup even as a 4th liner.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:03 AM
DoubleAAAA

My order of preference if Horton can't go:

Yeti/Caron
Bourque
Camper
Blades
That little old lady that sits behind the bench
Pando

Old
06-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
FWIW, I think Sods should be in, too. A 27 y.o. semi-pro or pro in the elite Swedish Leagues should be enough to convince.

But, I read recently on the ESPN site, that reports seem to indicate a leaning towards either Caron or Pandolfo (if Horton can't play). Anyone know if this is a legit rumour?
Any chance Claude is trying to keep the Yeti's release a secret? Maybe he drops Pandolfo/Caron hints so nobody scouts the Yeti? (fingers crossed please please please)

Old
06-14-2013, 11:42 AM
nhsportsfan

If Soderberg doesn't play in this series and we lose, there's gonna be a lot of second guessing. I'd play him, 4th line minutes, if he's overwhelmed, well, you're playing the game with 11 forwards, it happens (injury, match penalty). Seems like there is too much reward for risk you can manage.

Closed Thread