HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Tenacious Kyle Okposo is back

Old
04-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
Tenacious Kyle Okposo is back

KO has gone back to the player he was when he first came up. He is a forechecking bulldog. I love it. Sure would be nice if he could score some more. But it's really nice that he's back to doing the grunt work he was so excellent at earlier in his career. This is the guy that makes me think he could one day be a Selke candidate.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:42 PM
CREW99AW

I've read that Okposo's become much more vocal, as far as being one of the team's leaders.

I wonder if Weight or Thompson gets the credit, for Okposo's improved play?
Thompson has a strong rep for developing young players.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:55 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Can he play an entire season like this, or do we need to rent a real player for the first half next season? Again.

What is it with this club that players are complete idiots on the ice for the first half of the season, then in the spring magically come alive. If we do make the playoffs I guess it is a good thing, but between him, Bailey, Streit, and Grabner it is VERY frustrating to watch and wait.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Tavaresfan91

He's off my ****list for now...(untill first 40 games of next year) he was forechecking his tail off tonight.

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:11 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Can he play an entire season like this, or do we need to rent a real player for the first half next season? Again.

What is it with this club that players are complete idiots on the ice for the first half of the season, then in the spring magically come alive. If we do make the playoffs I guess it is a good thing, but between him, Bailey, Streit, and Grabner it is VERY frustrating to watch and wait.
I think he can, he didn't play like this last year imo. He's bringing it and I love it.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Riddick

i would still see what he could fetch in a return. How he disappears for so long in the beginning of the year is ridiculous.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:10 PM
iLandHer

I'm pretty sure they changed the forecheck. It's been much more effective for every line.

He's done fairly well, him and Bailey work well together.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:22 AM
blitzkriegs

The isles are not paying him to be a forechecker only. He needs to shoot the darn puck. Too many times he looks for the cute or highlight play vs just making the better option which is to shoot the puck on net.

blitzkriegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:35 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

I'm loving the way he's playing right now, but for ****s sake he needs to stop doing the toe drag.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
I love how you guys are so forgiving.. Maybe I am cold hearted compared to the rest of you but seriously he has a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG Way to go before I start becoming a fan.

Before you hate me, let me say this as I have said the same thing on the Josh Bailey thread. I am not rooting for him to fail... I want him to be the best and I will root him on for the fullest!!! With that said, do you people watch him play 90% of the time? His BS wrap arounds are a joke.. He needs to watch Rick Nash and see how its done. He shows zero anger or snarl and when he does I am suppose to love him for it???

90% of the season he was a cream puff and now we are winning thanks to these jabroni's (KO and Bailey) waking up and I am suppose to be at awe??

Once again, I am glad they are awake, I am rooting for them 1000% and want to be proven wrong but cmon these threads are too much guys.

its 3am, i was out since the game ended.. I couldnt enjoy my Saturday night cause the loss stings that much. I hope KO kicks ass from here on out. good night

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:44 AM
rikker

great to see! don't know why he underperformed before (coaching, confidence, concussion?), but that's in the past. he's still young, and there's a chance that we still haven't seen his best.

the entire team is playing better than i would have guessed. really liking how they are working their tails off, and believing in themselves.

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 05:51 AM
steveat

He needs to lay off the pizza at 3AM every night in the summer and actually work out and stay fit. Ever notice how fat and lazy he is for the first half of the season...then he gets rolling because he is fit again?

Again, poor work ethic and always needs multiple kicks in the pants to get going. He is so not a self motivator. Kinda like Malakhov...ah well...I will work hard next game...I just don't feel like it this game *sigh*

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:56 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I love how you guys are so forgiving.. Maybe I am cold hearted compared to the rest of you but seriously he has a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG Way to go before I start becoming a fan.

Before you hate me, let me say this as I have said the same thing on the Josh Bailey thread. I am not rooting for him to fail... I want him to be the best and I will root him on for the fullest!!! With that said, do you people watch him play 90% of the time? His BS wrap arounds are a joke.. He needs to watch Rick Nash and see how its done. He shows zero anger or snarl and when he does I am suppose to love him for it???

90% of the season he was a cream puff and now we are winning thanks to these jabroni's (KO and Bailey) waking up and I am suppose to be at awe??

Once again, I am glad they are awake, I am rooting for them 1000% and want to be proven wrong but cmon these threads are too much guys.

its 3am, i was out since the game ended.. I couldnt enjoy my Saturday night cause the loss stings that much. I hope KO kicks ass from here on out. good night
I'm closer to this train of thought. It's great to see him improving again, but there's no way in hell I'm convinced he's not going to come back after the summer and be a waste of icetime until the last 30 games next season.

Does he play better now? Yes.

Does he still look chaotic/awkward as hell doing it, as if either his brain or body can't keep up? Yep.

If I were Snow, would I hesitate on a trade this summer that I believed made the top-6 more stable and productive if it involved getting rid of Okposo? Make an reasonable offer.

Hell, back at the beginning of the season, it was Keith Aucoin looking like the consummate pro, aggressive in the opponent's zone and giving us something to cheer for. We're still ready to snag an upgrade on him first available opportunity. Okposo is no different, IMO.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:03 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
I'm closer to this train of thought. It's great to see him improving again, but there's no way in hell I'm convinced he's not going to come back after the summer and be a waste of icetime until the last 30 games next season.

Does he play better now? Yes.

Does he still look chaotic/awkward as hell doing it, as if either his brain or body can't keep up? Yep.

If I were Snow, would I hesitate on a trade this summer that I believed made the top-6 more stable and productive if it involved getting rid of Okposo? Make an reasonable offer.

Hell, back at the beginning of the season, it was Keith Aucoin looking like the consummate pro, aggressive in the opponent's zone and giving us something to cheer for. We're still ready to snag an upgrade on him first available opportunity. Okposo is no different, IMO.

If Okposo continues to play this effectively through the playoff push and whatever playoff run the team has in them, I don't see Snow trading him for a 'reasonable' return.

Isles are $16m below the cap floor.Hamonic/Hickey are rfas and Streit a ufa. They are Snow's only key free agents.Next season, Okposo will make $3m. Still a pretty cheap salary when possible replacements like Clowe want $6m or a Stafford would cost trade assets and a salary of $4m.

As for your Aucoin comparison, Aucoin's 34 yrs old and Okposo's 24. I doubt Snow ever viewed Aucoin as part of his longterm plan.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:22 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
If Okposo continues to play this effectively through the playoff push and whatever playoff run the team has in them, I don't see Snow trading him for a 'reasonable' return.

Isles are $16m below the cap floor.Hamonic/Hickey are rfas and Streit a ufa. They are Snow's only key free agents.Next season, Okposo will make $3m. Still a pretty cheap salary when possible replacements like Clowe want $6m or a Stafford would cost trade assets and a salary of $4m.

As for your Aucoin comparison, Aucoin's 34 yrs old and Okposo's 24. I doubt Snow ever viewed Aucoin as part of his longterm plan.
Oh, fully agreed on the age front. As for 'reasonable,' though I know it'll never happen, I still can't get the thought of Bobby Ryan in an Isles jersey out of my head.

Some of my vitriol is obviously feeling "stabby with knives" after last night's game, but this is what, the third season we've seen Okposo sleepwalk until about the time the Isles are usually mathematically eliminated? I need to see him treat October like April and sustain it to not be such a doubting Thomas.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:35 AM
BillD

The hustle and 2nd effort are what we wanted to see for a full season.
If KO can not start the next season like he is ending this one, and play through the whole way, we should try to get an upgrade. A part-time RW is not acceptable, he cant choose whne it is time to loaf and time to play, it is unfair to his teammates.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Sparksrus3

If this was Thanksgining Day, Kyle would have earned the Madden turkey leg for
His efforts. Keep it going KO!

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:15 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
The hustle and 2nd effort are what we wanted to see for a full season.
If KO can not start the next season like he is ending this one, and play through the whole way, we should try to get an upgrade. A part-time RW is not acceptable, he cant choose whne it is time to loaf and time to play, it is unfair to his teammates.
Idk how many times I have to say it, he plays really well with Bailey. Both seasons, his best hockey has come when playing with Bailey. Last season he wasn't on Bailey's line until the end, this season his game improved greatly when Bailey came on his line.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:20 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Oh, fully agreed on the age front. As for 'reasonable,' though I know it'll never happen, I still can't get the thought of Bobby Ryan in an Isles jersey out of my head.

Some of my vitriol is obviously feeling "stabby with knives" after last night's game, but this is what, the third season we've seen Okposo sleepwalk until about the time the Isles are usually mathematically eliminated? I need to see him treat October like April and sustain it to not be such a doubting Thomas.
I think if Snow could use Okposo, as a key player to land a first line talent like Ryan, that's be getting very good value for Okposo.

That's not the type of return I was expecting when I read 'reasonable return'

I was thinking more along the lines of Stafford for Okposo.Imo that's a not even a lateral move because while both are inconsistent, Stafford's older and makes more $.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:46 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
I think if Snow could use Okposo, as a key player to land a first line talent like Ryan, that's be getting very good value for Okposo.

That's not the type of return I was expecting when I read 'reasonable return'

I was thinking more along the lines of Stafford for Okposo.Imo that's a not even a lateral move because while both are inconsistent, Stafford's older and makes more $.
lol - fully agreed on Stafford; one should trade for improvements rather than trading to make a trade.

I just figure that with the stockpile or prospects the Isles have, this would be the year that after (the Playoffs) all is said and done and when the pre-draft swap fest heats up, it should take more than the final 16 games of a full season to make someone untouchable. Good on him for getting more vocal and stepping up his game, but if a clear-cut improvement can be had who won't allow us to rightfully question motivation come opening night and Okposo had to be a part of that package, I'd swing for the fences.

And I know Bobby Ryan is probably a pipe dream, but I can think of no winger with the age & skillset that would look better next to Tavares. A power forward of that ilk and a sniper/playmaker hybrid like JT would be pure hell to defend against, and JT wouldn't have spent 2/3rds of each shift with the logo on his jersey pressed against the glass and boards by two blueshirts with a winger like Ryan there to knock a few bodies off of the puck and help sustain pressure.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:14 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I just figure that with the stockpile or prospects the Isles have, this would be the year that after (the Playoffs) all is said and done and when the pre-draft swap fest heats up, it should take more than the final 16 games of a full season to make someone untouchable. Good on him for getting more vocal and stepping up his game, but if a clear-cut improvement can be had who won't allow us to rightfully question motivation come opening night and Okposo had to be a part of that package, I'd swing for the fences.

Okposo's play finally picked up around the 20 game mark this season. So, we'll have to disagree that in the 48 game season, that he's had 16 good games.

And if you are talking about last season,with the 'final 16 games of a full season ' comment, we'll again have to disagree. His play picked up after the 3 game benching in Dec. Jan was his most productive month.

So glad Okposo is shutting down the criticism, that he only plays well when the games don't count.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:41 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Okposo's play finally picked up around the 20 game mark this season. So, we'll have to disagree that in the 48 game season, that he's had 16 good games.

And if you are talking about last season,with the 'final 16 games of a full season ' comment, we'll again have to disagree. His play picked up after the 3 game benching in Dec. Jan was his most productive month.

So glad Okposo is shutting down the criticism, that he only plays well when the games don't count.
Keep in mind, some of those comments were broad strokes - not meant in the most literal sense; only that other than last winter when he temporarily usurped Parenteau on the top line (which I'll admit took me a moment to remember) that inconsistency is his middle name.

I respect your opinion; I just think that at some point the kid gloves have to come off. Much of my concern with Okposo isn't as much that he's raised his game (and his value) noticeably as much as it is that if/when his consistency problems repeat, we're left with a serious need to upgrade....at which point the pitchforks and torches get passed around again and the player who could show up like either an excellent 2nd line RW or a waste of roster space defaults to picking 'option B,' leaving us with a player who could fetch a lot more than a lowball offer if packaged for an improvement when trending upward.

I'm glad he's picked his play up now - don't get me wrong. I just don't plan on forgetting the liability he was on the ice for stretches of this season and other seasons previous. I still believe that if there is a clear-cut improvement that can be had for the right package (in the vicinity of and including Bobby Ryan,) it could still be a trade worth making.

Keep in mind, I know that unless something crazy happens he'll be here next fall, and I have no problem with that until he relapses.

Addendum: IMO it isn't that he only plays well when games don't count as much as it seems like he needs several months of trial and error to find the best angle for removing his head from his.....you know. This could be the sort of issue that could be better sussed out on a team already possessing a built-in vet presence.

Last edited by 88th Precinct: 04-14-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old
04-14-2013, 10:14 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Keep in mind, some of those comments were broad strokes - not meant in the most literal sense; only that other than last winter when he temporarily usurped Parenteau on the top line (which I'll admit took me a moment to remember) that inconsistency is his middle name.

I respect your opinion; I just think that at some point the kid gloves have to come off. Much of my concern with Okposo isn't as much that he's raised his game (and his value) noticeably as much as it is that if/when his consistency problems repeat, we're left with a serious need to upgrade....at which point the pitchforks and torches get passed around again and the player who could show up like either an excellent 2nd line RW or a waste of roster space defaults to picking 'option B,' leaving us with a player who could fetch a lot more than a lowball offer if packaged for an improvement when trending upward.

I'm glad he's picked his play up now - don't get me wrong. I just don't plan on forgetting the liability he was on the ice for stretches of this season and other seasons previous. I still believe that if there is a clear-cut improvement that can be had for the right package (in the vicinity of and including Bobby Ryan,) it could still be a trade worth making.

Keep in mind, I know that unless something crazy happens he'll be here next fall, and I have no problem with that until he relapses.

Addendum: IMO it isn't that he only plays well when games don't count as much as it seems like he needs several months of trial and error to find the best angle for removing his head from his.....you know. This could be the sort of issue that could be better sussed out on a team already possessing a built-in vet presence.
I understand and respect the opinions of fans, who say the isles can't have a top 6 player who doesn't show up for the first 20 games of the season and they want KO gone.

My argument is he's 24, not 34. His salary is still pretty cheap until 2014-2015. So, unless Snow's able to use him as a key to an upgrade, I'm in favor of keeping him until the isles are past his cheap yrs.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Tavares2TheRescue
#FireCapuano

He has certainly played much better as of late, but that does not even come close to make up for his early-season atrocity. If he stays, that's fine, if he gets traded, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:05 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
I feel like he plays like this every second half of the season. He needs to prove he can do this in the beginning, middle, and end of the season.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote