Notices

Time to mash the panic button

Old
04-14-2013, 11:57 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post

My big peeve here is how our GM proudly proclaimed because he gave up 4 prime assets for a position we didn't need to upgrade that we are no longer a seller. (I'm willing to bet that if those 4 assets were on the table we could have landed a nice top 4 dman who is young and has term which was a bigger need at this point.) Newsflash you are no longer a seller when you win in the playoffs on a constant basis, not when you limp your way in.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you realize how desperate we needed a sufficient right-hand shot player that is in his prime. Kyle Brodziak...the same Brodz that basically front in front of the net last night wide the hell open, was that right handed shot on the 1st PP line. Before Poms got here, our 2nd PP line was basically an energy line so the top line could rest and come back out for hopefully one more shot at it. People often forget how important the PP is when the playoffs are going on. It makes the other team play a more sound game of hockey because they can't afford to put you on the PP. And if you can score ES (which we can) then you are the more deadly team in the matchup.

We didn't have before the trade. Did we need a Top 4 Dman? Yes. I have been beating that horse for over 2 months now. But there was nothing out there that filled the role. And I'm sure even if GMCF was in the talks with some that did move, they wanted more in return. You have to give to receive.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:58 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Last night was a good effort by the Wild. If they show that effort night after night, we should be okay. It just depends on how hot the opposing goaltender is that night. And of course we seem to draw the ones that are suddenly red hot...

The thing that is most distressing is Yeo's performance. Specifically who he decides to bench or not bench. Granlund and Zucker are doing nothing but good for this team except for a slip-up on a goal, and they get benched. We need Zucker's shooter mentality. The guy was rattling off shots like this team has needed ever since its inception, and we bench him?

Meanwhile, Brodziak, who is just brutal, never sees the bench?

And Yeo just has no idea what he is doing when he juggles the lines. There are combinations of the various rookies we have up with the team that were dynamite in Houston. Why not see if some of that can translate to the NHL club? We saw what Coyle and Granlund can do on the powerplay together just the other night. If the lines have to be jumbled, try some combos that actually have some existing chemistry.

And for ****s sake, find a way to bench Clutterbuck for a game or two.

I just do not trust him. I gave him a pass during the win streak, and in fact I think the team may have went on that streak in spite of, rather than because of, Yeo.

If there is a good coach available after the season, I say grab him.
You and I are on the same page .Both Brodziak and Clutterbuck need a "come to jesus" moment. And it should have been done months ago.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
You and I are on the same page .Both Brodziak and Clutterbuck need a "come to jesus" moment. And it should have been done months ago.
If we had a healthy 4th line, and Cullen comes back soon, this is what I would want to see given a shot:

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Bouchard-Cullen-Seto
Zucker-Granlund-Pommer
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell

I think that could be a lot of fun.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Nsjohnson

If this team does fail to make the unsaid word, there will be some moves at the draft, NO DOUBT. Brodz and Clutter have been more than underwhelming. It's pathetic- specially Brodziak. Last years comments about him playing above his ability were so damn true. Or there is something seriously wrong with this guys confidence right now or a personal issue at home that's effecting him. Makes mistakes on every other shift. Of course the thing that sucks is that he won't be worth chump change in a trade.

Clutter needs to work on his shot everyday for the next year. Guy has a sick wrister/snapper but every time we hear "Clutterbuck shoots, misses the top right corner". IDK if it's a pressure thing but c'mon man, you have had the chance to score 10 goals via 2 v 1's and you MISS everytime.

Koivu and Parise need to step up. Change whatever your doing, because it really hasn't been all that effective for most the year.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
If this team does fail to make the unsaid word, there will be some moves at the draft, NO DOUBT. Brodz and Clutter have been more than underwhelming. It's pathetic- specially Brodziak. Last years comments about him playing above his ability were so damn true. Or there is something seriously wrong with this guys confidence right now or a personal issue at home that's effecting him. Makes mistakes on every other shift. Of course the thing that sucks is that he won't be worth chump change in a trade.

Clutter needs to work on his shot everyday for the next year. Guy has a sick wrister/snapper but every time we hear "Clutterbuck shoots, misses the top right corner". IDK if it's a pressure thing but c'mon man, you have had the chance to score 10 goals via 2 v 1's and you MISS everytime.

Koivu and Parise need to step up. Change whatever your doing, because it really hasn't been all that effective for most the year.
If Clutterbuck could actually aim he would have 10+ goals at this point.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:36 PM
57special

vCash: 50
We are all assuming that Cullen is going to come back healthy. What if he's like Bruno a few years ago, who basically played half the season on one leg? He could afford to lose speed(that he never had), whereas Cullen's game is all about speed and shiftiness.

I thought that Clutterbuck looked good on the fourth line. Mitchell, Clutter and Rupp were fast and strong out there.

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

I would be okay with Clutter on the 4th line.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:38 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Clutterbuck would look good in the AHL or on another team. His play this year significantly increases his chances of not being re-upped on the contract, unless he takes like $750K. Unfortunately stuck with Brodziak.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I would be okay with Clutter on the 4th line.
BTW, your avatar pic of the cliff is just fantastic. I thought that place seemed familiar.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:14 PM
BigT2002

The issue with Clutterbuck is just shoots it to shoot it. He aims for the top corner and almost every goalie (especially in our division) just close it and he aims high because he sees them moving to where he is going to "try" to hit it. I've seen practice vids of him with sweet accuracy...but it is practice and he isn't moving with a defender coming down on him.

Brodziak is...well. I don't know to be honest. It sucks b/c last year he was basically our unofficial MVP of the season IIRC.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:00 PM
frozenriverrat77
Do Vu's New Voodoo

meh, i still think they right the ship....yes, they are two points from 9th but they are also two points from 5th. It has been an extended dip and the injuries have definitely hurt. I also think taking Coyle off that top line was a mistake (especially when they were dominating) and why Zucker hasn't been on the second line ever since he was healthy is mind boggling.

Their overall play has looked good in the last two games. Similar to the domination of the 7 game win streak...if they keep it up they will make the playoffs.

frozenriverrat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:13 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Yes that Pitbull **** is over. Pitbull is terrible and needs to stop being referenced. Its an embarrassment to the entire Minnesota fan base. Kill the Pitbull
Careful, I've been saying that all along. Folks here got awful whiny about it.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:14 PM
AKL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
The issue with Clutterbuck is just shoots it to shoot it. He aims for the top corner and almost every goalie (especially in our division) just close it and he aims high because he sees them moving to where he is going to "try" to hit it. I've seen practice vids of him with sweet accuracy...but it is practice and he isn't moving with a defender coming down on him.

Brodziak is...well. I don't know to be honest. It sucks b/c last year he was basically our unofficial MVP of the season IIRC.
He was also playing top minutes with Heatley because of injuries.

Anyone who expected him to score at a 44 point pace this year was going to be disappointed.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:17 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Heh. Glad I went away for the weekend...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:25 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeroldEFX View Post
Amen brother! It would be interesting to see IF Koivu got injured (knock on wood, ppl!) who would step up and take on that leader-role.

The thing is, with every NHL team there's a "go-to-line" that should get it done most of the time, especially offensively, and in this case, that line just so happens to feature Koivu as their "go-to-guy". When that line is in a slump, secondary scoring must step up. In this case, that hasn't happened and Yeo should try out a bunch of different line combos in order to get both primary and secondary scoring going.
That would actually be sister in this case

What has to happen is that everyone who's supposed to be involved in secondary scoring has to look into the mirror and think what they can do to help the team into the playoffs. If or when the 1st line gets out of that slump, it should give the rest of the team enough juice to join in, but they shouldn't sit around and wait for that to happen, but instead take matters into their own hands while the 1st line tries to get going again. I think their slump is having a bigger effect on this team than it should. Hopefully Cullen can get going with Seto straight away and make things a little easier for the 1st line too.

I don't know what to think when I see games like the last one against Phoenix. The team messes up the lead so badly that someone has to walk to the coach and say "We'll deal with this from now on". That game ended well, but my point is that there shouldn't have been a need for anybody to say they're gonna take over the game because the rest of the team was wetting the bed. If the need for heroism becomes constant in a team sport (it's normal if it's needed only sporadically), there's something wrong with the part of the team that can't keep it together. Nobody should be required or expected to save the day constantly, whether it's the goalie or the captain or any other individual.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:05 AM
forthewild

What is sad with this team is during their good stretch they played well, they skated fast, they fore checked, created chances now the last 8 or 9 games the team was flat footed a bunch, just got out played and chanced a bunch. I get you can't win every game but there is no reason why you can't try every game.

we're 2 points up on 9th place dalls, good news is we control our fate so all we gotta do is take care of our business. I'm still saying its panic time just because of how badly we've played recently, tonight is a must win, tomorrow is a must win just as much. this team could be on the outside looking in in two days, or we can be 5th. Its up the team to get it done.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:53 AM
DANOZ28

im frustrated but after the trade deadline what can anybody do? we are stuck hoping the players we've got get their stuff together and quit leaving brown skid marks all over the ice. i thought the wild played well enough to win against the jackets but when your in a must win game guess what? you must win!

DANOZ28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

This team is reliant on their top end scoring. When your captain, team leader, and main offensive outlet can't produce a point in his last 7 games, you're going to have a bad time.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:32 AM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

We have 7 games left. @CAL @EDM @SJ CAL LA EDM @COL

We SHOULD be able to win 5 of those. I'm not panicking yet. If we don't make the playoffs, we straight up don't deserve it.

We could possibly even win 6 of those if we can somehow beat LA or SJ.

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
PuckInTheNards

Anyone who isn't a little nervous about the Wild making the playoffs must have been watching a completely different team over the past 5 seasons. No lead is ever safe with this team.

For the record, I think the Wild miss the playoffs and both Yeo and Fletch are gone after the season.

PuckInTheNards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think Fletcher is safe but I don't think he's quite on the hot seat. His prospect pool hasn't translated to on-ice success but it's still somewhat early. I would have hoped his 2010 picks would be contributing at least somewhat, but Brodin's pretty much the only NHL'er who's been a legit big time contributor.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:29 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Fletch isn't going anywhere, and imo, nor should he.

Fletch has done his best to ice the best team possible, and he has done many remarkable things to improve this team in his term.

He hasn't hit a homerun everytime, and for the people who expect that, I'm sorry that reality is so cruel.

Yeo on the other hand, I have not seen too much in the way of results. At times our team has looked great, but those times are not nearly frequent enough. I don't know if that's a coaching issue, player issue, or some sick hybrid excuse on both their parts.

Koivu has won in the Olympics as well as the World Championships. He has proven to be a good leader in many arenas. Parise has excelled with the Devils, and Suter has excelled with the Preds. This team has good leaders.

Which makes me look more at the coaching staff: they do not have results.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:34 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Fletcher's going nowhere; whether they make it or not.

Yeo should be canned if he finds a way to miss the playoffs. This team is where they're at primarily with shoddy and questionable line-ups and match-ups. Opposing coaches take advantage of what he has on the ice far too often on a shift by shift basis. Lemaire would have this team near the top of the league, IMO.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:37 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Fletcher's going nowhere; whether they make it or not.

Yeo should be canned if he finds a way to miss the playoffs. This team is where they're at primarily with shoddy and questionable line-ups and match-ups. Opposing coaches take advantage of what he has on the ice far too often on a shift by shift basis. Lemaire would have this team near the top of the league, IMO.
I agree with this, and it makes me sick.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:42 AM
nickschultzfan

Get Clutterbuck on the 4th line and away from Brodziak, and Brodziak will magically start producing again.

I am not kidding.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote