HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we built for the playoffs ?

Old
04-14-2013, 09:03 PM
yianik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Bordeleau is a UFA and can scrap with anyone. Also French and from Montreal... Seems line a natural fit for Bergevin and Therrien.
Very big boy and a good fighter, but pure goon who can hurt team while on ice. would rather try to get Boll who hits and fights without hurting team defensively.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
got this feeling Price is going to rebound huge from last nights game and carry it into the playoffs.i'm not worried about the team ,theres more than enough depth,talent,leadership,and grit to make a deep run.and if price can notch it up we re going all the way.
Price must still be really pissed... that game last night was heavily watched coast to coast.

It took a serious chunk out of his armour.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealYul View Post
Guys....calm the **** down! We only lost 2 games by more than a goal in more than 2 months....2 months for God's sake! We got dominated against only a few games this season..

It only takes one crappy game (where the opponent scored 4 lousy goals on 5 shots) for our team to become suddenly to soft, small, terrible, etc..

Some people see problems everywhere and simply like to whine about everything...
I like your wise words.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
First round is the most physical round. If we can win that it will look better for us.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Price must still be really pissed... that game last night was heavily watched coast to coast.

Tru dat. You could tell by his face when he was on the bench that even though he's even keel (too much for many people's liking), he was thinking redemption. I'm kinda glad it happened at the ACC and not at home where our fans might have got on him. I think he wants to avenge himself, but also the team. He knows he's been made a leader on this team. Let the 24CH storyline play itself out...

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Very big boy and a good fighter, but pure goon who can hurt team while on ice. would rather try to get Boll who hits and fights without hurting team defensively.
He's not that bad defensively. In his last 3 years in the AHL with game totals of 60,72,52 he was only a combined -6 in total. On the worst NHL team in the league in 40 games, he's only -6.

He's the perfect fourth line heavyweight.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:15 AM
marvelousmotion

This current team can do well in the playoffs. The biggest question mark right now is without a doubt Carey Price. This guy has the potential to steal games, something he hasn't really done all year. He's the first to recognize and admit that his play this year has not been stellar. It'll be his chance to step up when things matter the most and prove why he deserves to be considered one of the best goalie in the league and probably the starter for team Canada next year.

Another player who has the potential to make a difference and needs to step up big time is Travis Moen. During the playoffs, depth matters and it is often the secondary players' contribution that makes the difference between a win and a loss. I used to be a fan of his play and approved his contract extension last summer. Hard to defend him though with the way he played this year. I still have hope in the guy, he's always been a warrior in the playoffs and hopefully he lives up to his reputation, makes up for his ordinary season and shuts the critics down. This is the Moen the Habs need to see in two weeks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNa_s6iTdCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdCh1d4-CdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sD7t-uzBRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svtye6sX82E

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:21 AM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Yep. Beating a team in the regular season is a lot different than the playoffs. The playoffs are a much more physical game and they favor physical teams. We're not at that level yet. We're far from it. We won't be built for the playoffs until e address the lack of size and physicality on D and in the top 9. Price isn't at the level yet where he can make up for our holes and carry us through a few series. Can the team go on a mini run? Yes. But if we face the Leafs or Bruins or any of the other physical teams who can actually play at a high level, we're cooked.

Oh..and the D needs to be revamped..and that's including a healthy Emelin and Diaz. I think we're a few years away.
Or if Bergevin is savvy, he can trade to get what we need so the path is not a few years but a few months until the next season starts.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Teufelsdreck

Just keep winning and let Boston and Toronto batter each othe,, I'm not afraid for the Habs until they get to Pittsburgh and beyond. I'm scared of Chicago and Anaheim. Period.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
It's sad when you have become one of the most positive voices on this site.
Well, look at it this way... You know that I don't have rose coloured glasses. You know that I'm able to separate my love for the team vs what I think it's capabilities are. So that's the plus side.

On the down side, I might be completely wrong about this team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
But you are right, the responses in here are based on one game. There is one reason we got humiliated last night, 4 goals on 5 shots. That's it. Everything else was directly related to that.

The team gave up after that. Can you blame them? We already clinched, yes miracle comebacks are possible but there's no reason to risk anything in a game that meant more to Toronto than it did to us. Would I have liked to see them go for a moral victory and try to scare Kadri for being a dirtbag? You bet. Do I blame them for caring more about getting the game over with so they can go home? Not at all.

Getting blown out twice in a season by the Leafs is worrying. However we responded the first time by completely dominating them in the second game. Yesterday they never stood a chance, because Price never showed up.
I agree. Well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Habs weren't bigger and more physical when they nearly eliminated the Bruins in a 7-game series in their Stanley Cup year. Didn't they win this season series against the Bruins, coming back from a 2-1 loss and taking 3 in a row? If they lose in the upcoming playoffs it'll be because the other team is better. not because it's bigger.
Winning a series isn't the same thing as winning a cup.

No doubt we can beat any team in the league in a 7 game series. Do we have enough to win a cup? I think so. I'm not expecting a cup by any means and I agree with most folks that we are too small but we actually have enough in the tank to be able to win.

Everyone (not just Price) would have to play at the top of their game though. The East is such a weird mess right now... Pittsburgh is hurt, so is Boston, the Rangers have sucked and we have their number. We actually do have a shot at coming out of the conference this year. We're not the favourites to do it but it could be done.

Like I said before, we need some more size and I expect that we'll correct this in the coming years. Gallagher isn't going anywhere and neither is DD so that leaves Gionta to be replaced. I'll actually be surprised if he's with us next year. Size isn't everything but I do think we need more of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post

Let's hope it motivates him again as it did before.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
First round is the most physical round. If we can win that it will look better for us.
Not really cause every time we beat Boston we were done by round 2. The year we went 3 rounds we played 2 non really physical teams in Pittsburgh and Washington and we matched up really well

Again I don't want to sound and be negative but all around this team is lacking 2 more big bodies and as much as I didn't want to pay the price to get Clowe I think he would have been a great fit for this team

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Teufelsdreck

So having Clowe materially improves the Habs' chance of winning in the playoffs? I had no idea he was that dominant (or that he could avoid penalties or defensive miscues).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
So having Clowe materially improves the Habs' chance of winning in the playoffs? I had no idea he was that dominant (or that he could avoid penalties or defensive miscues).
Did the addition of Prust help the Habs?

Again this is ,y opinion you don't have to agree with me but for me besides a few teams we don't match up very well come playoff time and this team cannot go 4 rounds(again my opinion)

Old
04-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Moroccan

I am pretty sure Moen will step up his game during the playoffs. The guy is a veteran and a cup winner. He knows when it really matters. So I am not worried at all. And never forget: Nobody expected the Habs to be that good this year. Success in the playoffs or not. The year has been great.

Moroccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Frankenheimer

I have confidence Price is going to rebound tonight. Also not worried long term. Every goalie has bad games AND bad seasons. This is no time to panic and throw players under the bus.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Not really cause every time we beat Boston we were done by round 2. The year we went 3 rounds we played 2 non really physical teams in Pittsburgh and Washington and we matched up really well

Again I don't want to sound and be negative but all around this team is lacking 2 more big bodies and as much as I didn't want to pay the price to get Clowe I think he would have been a great fit for this team
Kinda agree with you here. Muscle is muscle. We saw that against the leafs. Kadri decked our boys hard at least twice. One thing I never fully realized until that game is that while goons are pretty much useless on their own, they promote a more agressive attitude in players that might otherwise be passive. Maybe the utility of goons lies in that secondary effect.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:29 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
You do not understand the mental game of hockey.

Intimidation is an emotion used quite often in the NHL.

Is it any wonder that the two biggest blowout losses with virtually no offense occurred at the hands of the most physical team in hockey.....Toronto.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You do not understand the mental game of hockey.

Intimidation is an emotion used quite often in the NHL.

Is it any wonder that the two biggest blowout losses with virtually no offense occurred at the hands of the most physical team in hockey.....Toronto.
And the Flyers did what they wanted again last night, look at Schenn how he just hit everyone the way he wanted last night and Simmonds laughing all game long

It's funny that year after year, GM after GM I simply don't understand why we can't get bigger and be more intimidating

Old
04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
And the Flyers did what they wanted again last night, look at Schenn how he just hit everyone the way he wanted last night and Simmonds laughing all game long

It's funny that year after year, GM after GM I simply don't understand why we can't get bigger and be more intimidating
I watched less than half the game last night. What I saw and heard (from the "&%$#@"s coming from my wife) suggested a total defensive breakdown. Did you see that as a result of intimidation, or are we simply off our game?

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
We're not even sure if we're made for the regular season, the 82-game regular season that is. Which is a total different ballgame that the season we're playing now. Yet, of course, we do miss this better mix of grit and talent that most teams who won have. And a tougher D. And a more solid and confident goalie.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:40 PM
SirClintonPortis
ProudCapitalsTraitor

Cup winning teams have deep defenses that don't have a rubbish pair. We do have rubbish D pairs, hence we won't be winning the Cup this season.

Nor is the silly "we dominated" quote parroted by fans going to fix the problems. WE CANNOT HANDLE THE TRANSITION GAME, and the handling the TRANSITION GAME well is not something that is measured well with puck possesion statistics.

SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:07 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Bordeleau isn't a liability will is on the ice. Thats why Col fans want to keep him......

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

We don't need goons, we need big hockey players that can play hockey like Lucic, Clowe, Simmonds.. Of course it's not that simple to acquire one but IMO that's what Bergevin needs to work on going forward and I honestly do think he missed the boat on Clowe

Old
04-16-2013, 02:11 PM
MSSLYNX

@krissE: The same guys that thought this team would miss the POs? Ya, their opinion is golden.

Put me in this group. When you finish 15th and make only minor acquisitions, hell yes i was placing em out of this years playoffs. I am not sure they would not have fallen to 6-10 if the season was 82 games.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:15 PM
MSSLYNX

@lshap: Did you see that as a result of intimidation, or are we simply off our game?

Actually Habs tried the bully/cheap shots style and it didnt go well. Rosehill and Simmonds were angels last night.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote