Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Cervenka finished with the Flames?

Old
04-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Noori

vCash: 763
Is Cervenka finished with the Flames?

6:42 in ice time tonight. Ben Street had more ice-time tonight and Akim Aliu had more than double tonight (15:08).

And even though Tanguay was injured last night, he still only played 8:10. And with Feaster confirming Hanowski will play, it seems likely he'll take Cervenka's spot.

I'm pretty sure he's done with the Flames and probably the NHL too. He has a wife and newborn back in Europe and the KHL is probably easier and just as lucrative for him.

Good on him for trying and can't blame the Flames for giving him a shot. I wish they hadn't done the whole "best player not in the NHL" bit but it seems they realized his deficiencies pretty quickly.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:03 AM
BVicious

vCash: 500
Yea, peace out. One Roman is enough. I have no problem with him, but we got kids that can be just as effective. I think he is way better then what we have seen, but Hartley seems to not like him for whatever reason. Probably cuz he is too creative.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Sean Monahan
JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED

vCash: 50
perfectly fine with not having him. it was worth a shot but it didn't work out

horak>>>>> cervenka

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Probably. He's definitely got the skill and talent to play in the NHL but he's a redundant piece on this team going forward. Don't see the organization re-signing him.

Whether he signs with another team or goes back to the KHL depends on whether his goal was to play in the NHL long term. I think he goes back.

And the biggest gaffe in this affair was the Flames labeling him as a top-six centre when he's actually a winger, something the posters here figured out within a matter of hours after the signing but Feaster and co. couldn't.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:15 AM
MarkGio

He had amazing skill out of the gate. But then what happened?! How did he pass the Flames physical?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Janko Unchained
Calgary Dumb Dumbs

vCash: 1044
I agree that he is redundant going forward, too bad it didn't work out. DBU and I were talking about him earlier this evening, and I said I really wish we could had gotten to see a full season of him, because I think his health matters (blood clot), having to transition to the NHL, and conditioning held him back this season. He has a lot of skill, you can see it, and he probably could be a decent player in the NHL, but just too many question marks around the guy. I'm glad we took a chance on him, and since I don't see him coming back to Calgary, I wish him luck in the future - whether it be in the NHL or in Europe.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

I think he's done with the Flames, but not necessarily with the NHL. I think he'd be a good fit on a team which is looking for a pure skill player, and not one in a rebuilding phase which needs players with high energy, physicality and compete level like the Flames will be next year. I think the main thing that worked against him this year was being on a team with too many similar players. As much as we are critical of the Oilers being too one-dimensional with their player selection, we haven't been much better lately...

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
He had amazing skill out of the gate. But then what happened?! How did he pass the Flames physical?
If you're referring to his conditioning, well, it's not uncommon for KHL players coming over to struggle as the season goes on. The KHL plays a lot fewer games than the NHL, something around 50 games in an entire season. For example, Bobrovsky had issues with this last season with the Flyers but looks a lot better now.

The blood clot and the condensed schedule didn't help either.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

His base salary was fairly low this season, so if we can re-sign him for the same amount for another season, I'd be fine with that. It's his first season playing out of Czech/Russia, I'm sure it was a big adjustment, and then he had the blood clot issue at the start of the year. If we bring him back to play on the wing, I think it'd be well worth it to give him another season.

Next season will be a transition season for the team and a full regular season to make real assessments of players, and I think he's worth a roster spot.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Noori

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Next season will be a transition season for the team and a full regular season to make real assessments of players, and I think he's worth a roster spot.
Is he worth the roster spot?

Let's see:

Cammalleri - Stajan - Stempniak
Tanguay - Backlund - Glencross
Baertschi - Top Pick - Hudler
Horak - Bouma - Jackman

Where does Cervenka fit with these guys? I would argue the Flames could stand to trim the fat and trade a guy like Stajan along with one of Hudler or Tanguay. Makes room for Horak in the top-9 and Reinhart can slot in as the 2nd/3rd line center (though he may or may not be ready).

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
I'm not against signing him on the cheap for another year. I'd be quite peeved if he goes to another team and lights it up.

I also don't want to automatically insert our first rounder into next years lineup. If he earns it, great, fantastic. But no giving it to him and rushing him if he's not ready.

Granted our winger quota is quite full.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:07 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

The biggest problem with Cervenka is bloated expectations. The guy is a rookie no matter how you slice it and he is on pace for about 30 points over a full year.

I also don't think he is being used on the 4th line because he is done, I think he is being used there to learn. A lot of softer players get put on the 4th line for stretches to try and help them make their game a bit more well rounded.

Personally I would be fine with him returning if 1 or 2 of Tanguay, Cammalleri, Stempniak & Hudler are gone come opening night. Otherwise its pretty pointless for him to be retained.

Currently I see the following players on the Flames:

Top 9 (LW)
Tanguay, Glencross, Baertschi

Top 9 (RW)
Cammalleri, Hudler, Stempniak

Top 9 (C)
Stajan, Backlund, Reinhart/MacKinnon/Free Agent
- If the Flames draft Barkov he may stay in Finland for another year to fulfill his military commitment, which would open up a spot for Max, Horak or a free agent signing.

The 4th line and 13/14th forward spots are more up in the air with BigErn & Begin as UFAs. The emergence of Max & Horak, along with the likely return of Bouma really muddies the waters. Jackman is about the only guarantee in one of the bottom 5 forward spots IMO.

100 Third Graders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Gary83*

I'd prefer to replace him with someone grittier. Horton would be a pretty welcome addition. Hope the team will add some toughness, but not just a goon.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:01 AM
TheGaudfather
#Unsustainable

There is no way Horak doesn't stay full time with the team next season. The kid has some serious hands.

TheGaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Body Checker

We have too many forwards like Cervenka as in Tanguay, Hudler, Cammy, Backlund, etc.

Plus there are better options in UFA to replace Cervenka like Raymond, MacArthur, Stalberg, etc.

Plus like others said - Horak, Baertschi and Reinhart need spots.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

vCash: 550
While he has amazing hands, and sees the ice very well. He doesn't compete and in the defensive zone he makes far too many bone headed moves.

He also fits into that mold that I think Calgary will try and change next year and with free agency. They have to become much harder to play against, since we already have a few players signed long term or with more upside (or under contract) that don't like mixing it up, Cervenka looks to be an odd man out.

It kind of sucks, because you see the potential there. If he were to play harder night in/out, and seem to give a damn night in/out; he would be a 50-60 point guy with high end upside. No NHL team will offer him anything more than 2 million to stay in North America, he can probably go back to the KHL and make much more than that.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

He'll sign with Detroit.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
He'll sign with Detroit.
I think that would be a great fit, actually.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:42 PM
TychoFan

Shame we couldn't trade him for some assets... I still like the guy though, I feel like he will have a good NHL career if he stays.

TychoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:05 PM
TheHudlinator

Yes no way he comes back. Not that I dislike him but it is pretty clear that Hartley prefers the young guys (Sven,Horak,Reinhart,etc) over him and I am not going to complain about it. I think he is a solid 2nd line player once he gets a healthy offseason, I agree with who ever said Detroit as a destination.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:03 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Yes no way he comes back. Not that I dislike him but it is pretty clear that Hartley prefers the young guys (Sven,Horak,Reinhart,etc) over him and I am not going to complain about it. I think he is a solid 2nd line player once he gets a healthy offseason, I agree with who ever said Detroit as a destination.
I would argue that Hartely has been given the mandate to like these young guys over guys like Cervenk

Old
04-14-2013, 02:09 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I would argue that Hartely has been given the mandate to like these young guys over guys like Cervenk
I doubt it, Feaster has said before he lets the coaches coach and he will GM. He left Tampa because of ownership taking over his job I doubt he would do the same to one of his best friends. Hartley has always kept Cervenka around 3rd line minutes and now that the kids are here he seems to like their hustle and passion over Cervenka's skill.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:53 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post

Old
04-14-2013, 04:09 PM
SaneQ

I'd give him a chance next year just like Backlund. I think a good summer of training, resting and getting even more fit can do the trick.

SaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
I'd be fine to have him back if we can move someone like Stemps to get another 2nd round pick. He really isn't a bad player and he has a pretty sick shot. His legs are his biggest problem and if that improved with a proper offseason and training camp I think he could be a real nice fit here.

I also wouldn't be to worried if he went back to the K either.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote