HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Penguins Sign Eric Hartzell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2013, 09:15 PM
  #1
LV*
Free my bro Leivo
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,560
vCash: 4152
Penguins Sign Eric Hartzell

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=665785

Don't know if this should go in the prospects thread or not.

LV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:27 PM
  #2
gdsmack267
Registered User
 
gdsmack267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 500
Good insurance move for the playoffs

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:28 PM
  #3
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Good insurance move for the playoffs
Yeah, that's not why they did this.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
  #4
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,638
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Good insurance move for the playoffs
thanks for the refreshing dose of humor brah.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:31 PM
  #5
gdsmack267
Registered User
 
gdsmack267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Yeah, that's not why they did this.
Well no kidding, obviously hes going to a great addition to the prospect pool and a future goaltender to fill Vokouns spot. but for the remainder of this year he will be the 3rd goalie on the Pens roster so they dont have to call up Zatkoff

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:32 PM
  #6
SI90
Registered User
 
SI90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 29,271
vCash: 500
damn...I wanted the Isles to sign this kid...

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:38 PM
  #7
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Well no kidding, obviously hes going to a great addition to the prospect pool and a future goaltender to fill Vokouns spot. but for the remainder of this year he will be the 3rd goalie on the Pens roster so they dont have to call up Zatkoff
What do you mean "so they don't have to call up Zatkoff"? Why would they call him up regardless unless Fleury or Vokoun were injured?

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:39 PM
  #8
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,255
vCash: 500
They signed him just to the end of the this season?

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:43 PM
  #9
ottawa
Avatar of the Year*
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,625
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Good insurance move for the playoffs
You have no idea who he is, do you?

__________________
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v191/SpiderManNL/24cups.gif
ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:43 PM
  #10
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
They signed him just to the end of the this season?
Yes, it's smart. Gets around the contract limit of an ELC since he'll be a restricted free agent in the summer. Then he gets the security of a 2 or 3-year deal.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:44 PM
  #11
DoctrSteveBrule
Registered User
 
DoctrSteveBrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Yes, it's smart. Gets around the contract limit of an ELC since he'll be a restricted free agent in the summer. Then he gets the security of a 2 or 3-year deal.
and brad thiessen's contract is up next year as well so they basically just gave them 2 guys to pick from for next year

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
  #12
gdsmack267
Registered User
 
gdsmack267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
You have no idea who he is, do you?
Yes I do, they signed him now since he will be a RFA at the years end. Not to mention a hobey baker nominee is a hell of a third goalie to have on the roster in case of any injuries this year.

He re-signs in summer to play in WBS with zatkoff for next season. Both will be competing for who wins MAFs backup role the year after when Vokoun is gone.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
  #13
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,527
vCash: 500
Thiessen's contract is up this year.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
  #14
WYFR
StanleyCupSabres
 
WYFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Good insurance move for the playoffs
won't play a single game for them this season even playoffs

WYFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:48 PM
  #15
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
This topic entered trainwreck status quickly.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:50 PM
  #16
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Well no kidding, obviously hes going to a great addition to the prospect pool and a future goaltender to fill Vokouns spot. but for the remainder of this year he will be the 3rd goalie on the Pens roster so they dont have to call up Zatkoff
Is he allowed to join the Penguins roster since the trade deadline has passed?

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:53 PM
  #17
gdsmack267
Registered User
 
gdsmack267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Is he allowed to join the Penguins roster since the trade deadline has passed?
I think all college players are allowed to join any roster if im not mistaken. He will never play though, probably just practice with the team for the rest of the season before going to WBS next year.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:36 PM
  #18
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,618
vCash: 500
Penguins do need an NHL goalie to back up Vokoun for the playoffs. Maybe they found him. Not sure why everybody's so uptight. Good signing.

Just kidding. Don't mean to troll/offend.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:09 PM
  #19
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Yes, it's smart. Gets around the contract limit of an ELC since he'll be a restricted free agent in the summer. Then he gets the security of a 2 or 3-year deal.
I think they are actually only allowed to sign him to a one year deal because of his age. Depending on when these guys go pro there are restrictions to the years they can get on a deal. Saw the same thing when the Hawks signed the kid that won the Hobey Baker.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:19 PM
  #20
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 18,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
You have no idea who he is, do you?
I am hoping he means the WBS playoffs. Because there is no chance this kid is getting a game in the NHL this year.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:19 PM
  #21
Malkinstheman
Registered User
 
Malkinstheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Penguins do need an NHL goalie to back up Vokoun for the playoffs. Maybe they found him. Not sure why everybody's so uptight. Good signing.

Just kidding. Don't mean to troll/offend.
Didnt even see that, turned my head a little and saw something flashing my eyes

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:22 PM
  #22
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island/NYC
Posts: 22,490
vCash: 500
He's a phenomenal goaltender. Uses his size very well, always in the zone, just an overall solid goaltender that I know will be a starter in the NHL. Penguins fans got a special guy.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:32 PM
  #23
clefty
Ice cream for crow
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 17,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I think they are actually only allowed to sign him to a one year deal because of his age. Depending on when these guys go pro there are restrictions to the years they can get on a deal. Saw the same thing when the Hawks signed the kid that won the Hobey Baker.
That's what I said, this essentially gets around that limit.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:41 PM
  #24
Freeptop
Registered User
 
Freeptop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Yes I do, they signed him now since he will be a RFA at the years end. Not to mention a hobey baker nominee is a hell of a third goalie to have on the roster in case of any injuries this year.
The Pens seem to have a habit of picking up Hobey Baker finalist goaltenders, actually:

John Curry - 2007 Hobey Baker Finalist [signed by the Penguins July 1, 2007]
Brad Thiessen - 2009 Hobey Baker Finalist [signed by the Penguins April 3, 2009]
Eric Hartzell - 2013 Hobey Baker Finalist [signed by the Penguins April 14, 2013]

I'll note that Curry was not re-signed a year after Thiessen was signed, and Thiessen is likely to not be re-signed this summer.

In other words, I guess I'm saying that I hope it works out better this time than it did the last two times. Of course, the Pens do still employ Gilles Meloche as their main goaltending coach, so I'm not optimistic...

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:26 AM
  #25
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 18,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
The Pens seem to have a habit of picking up Hobey Baker finalist goaltenders, actually:

John Curry - 2007 Hobey Baker Finalist [signed by the Penguins July 1, 2007]
Brad Thiessen - 2009 Hobey Baker Finalist [signed by the Penguins April 3, 2009]
Eric Hartzell - 2013 Hobey Baker Finalist [signed by the Penguins April 14, 2013]

I'll note that Curry was not re-signed a year after Thiessen was signed, and Thiessen is likely to not be re-signed this summer.

In other words, I guess I'm saying that I hope it works out better this time than it did the last two times. Of course, the Pens do still employ Gilles Meloche as their main goaltending coach, so I'm not optimistic...
They have progressively gotten taller as well. John Curry was around 5'10" and Brad Thiessen is generously listed at 6' even though he's closer to 5'11" and then you have Hartzell...6'4"

Glad to see the Pens have picked up a guy that will battle with Zatkoff for the back-up job to Fleury and eventual #1 job in a few years down the road. The Baby Pens are going to be fun to watch next season.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.