HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #41 Chicago Blackhawks @ St. Louis Blues / Bringing back the home whites edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 02:16 PM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Here's my analysis: The Blues' top 9 cannot score. These guys have got to be held accountable, all of them.

Not near enough urgency this game. 2nd and 3rd periods were bad again.

Gonna single out a few culprits who especially are frustrating me...

David Perron: Invisible. I'm sick of hearing about this guy's talent. Where is it? He's had two good offensive games this year (@ Dallas, @ Phoenix) and has a combined 6 points in those games. In the other 39 he has 17 points. He's on pace for a 46-point season in an 82-game schedule. Same old story with this guy, inconsistency. He has 2 good games and people rave about him and then he goes missing for the next dozen at least. Yet some people still try to say he has can be that 70-point player...Ha, no he can't. Blues need a LOT more out of this guy, he should be more of a difference maker than he is. Period.

Patrik Berglund: Invisible. No vision or playmaking, also extremely inconsistent. On pace for 44 points in 82 games. He's an average 2nd liner, good 3rd line player and that's what he is. All the people waiting for him to "break out" can also sit down.

Jaden Schwartz: Basically a black hole offensively. I've been vocal about his improvement this season but Christ, he has 10 points this season. If he's going to be on the 2nd line, he needs to start scoring more and making things happen. He's also only had like 2 good offensive games...take those away and he has 6 points in the other 36. Come on man, learn to stay on your skates too. Always on the ice. He's an okay player but they need more out of him offensively, he's not making enough happen.

Andy McDonald: We already know this guy sucks now. Should see the press box when Jaskin/Oshie get in the lineup.

Vladimir Tarasenko to an extent. Shoot the puck more, quit the fancy stuff, simply make more of an impact in all the zones.

David Backes needs to be held accountable offensively too but I at least see him making more contributions on the defensive/physical side. And he has already been beaten to death.

Just throwing those 6 names out there. They need to be better. Some of these performances are just crap.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:18 PM
BrokenFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post

>blues offense
>good

pick one.
Only 8 goals over our last 6 games. No one seemed to notice because we won the first 4 of those.
I know there wasn't anyone available, but the Blues needed to acquire a Jeff Carter-like center this trade deadline ala LA last year.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
You'll hear about it from me. Their goalies and defense could regress to last season's form. With LA, they could continue to get inconsistent goaltending, and the Blues could finally play their game against them. You play the game for a reason and anything can happen.
Sure, crazy upsets have happened, and if you say "what if" and change like six things that play out every game, you could construct a scenario where the Blues could maybe have a chance. But the Kings and Hawks are much better teams than the Blues. I'd be shocked if the Blues could push a series against either to 6.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:21 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Here's my analysis: The Blues' top 9 cannot score. These guys have got to be held accountable, all of them.

Not near enough urgency this game. 2nd and 3rd periods were bad again.

Gonna single out a few culprits who especially are frustrating me...

David Perron: Invisible. I'm sick of hearing about this guy's talent. Where is it? He's had two good offensive games this year (@ Dallas, @ Phoenix) and has a combined 6 points in those games. In the other 39 he has 17 points. He's on pace for a 46-point season in an 82-game schedule. Same old story with this guy, inconsistency. He has 2 good games and people rave about him and then he goes missing for the next dozen at least. Yet some people still try to say he has can be that 70-point player...Ha, no he can't. Blues need a LOT more out of this guy, he should be more of a difference maker than he is. Period.

Patrik Berglund: Invisible. No vision or playmaking, also extremely inconsistent. On pace for 44 points in 82 games. He's an average 2nd liner, good 3rd line player and that's what he is. All the people waiting for him to "break out" can also sit down.

Jaden Schwartz: Basically a black hole offensively. I've been vocal about his improvement this season but Christ, he has 10 points this season. If he's going to be on the 2nd line, he needs to start scoring more and making things happen. He's also only had like 2 good offensive games...take those away and he has 6 points in the other 36. Come on man, learn to stay on your skates too. Always on the ice. He's an okay player but they need more out of him offensively, he's not making enough happen.

Andy McDonald: We already know this guy sucks now. Should see the press box when Jaskin/Oshie get in the lineup.

Vladimir Tarasenko to an extent. Shoot the puck more, quit the fancy stuff, simply make more of an impact in all the zones.

David Backes needs to be held accountable offensively too but I at least see him making more contributions on the defensive/physical side. And he has already been beaten to death.

Just throwing those 6 names out there. They need to be better. Some of these performances are just crap.
I agree that the guys you singled out need to provide more, but what did Steen do to avoid that list? Stewart? Everyone outside the 4th line needs to provide more than they have the last few weeks. Seems like we can't get good defense AND good offense. We have to sacrifice one for the other.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:23 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Unleash the Jaskin.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Thallis
Fire Armstrong

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Sure, crazy upsets have happened, and if you say "what if" and change like six things that play out every game, you could construct a scenario where the Blues could maybe have a chance. But the Kings and Hawks are much better teams than the Blues. I'd be shocked if the Blues could push a series against either to 6.
Honestly, I feel like you're putting a bit too much stake into what's happened. If the Blues find their offense in the next 8 games, they're going into the playoffs looking very impressive. I'm not even saying we should expect to beat these teams (moreso the Hawks, I'm just not convinced that we can't beat the Kings), it's just this defeatist attitude of acting like we've already been swept and the season over is annoying me.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:25 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:
Honestly, I feel like you're putting a bit too much stake into what's happened. If the Blues find their offense in the next 8 games, they're going into the playoffs looking very impressive. I'm not even saying we should expect to beat these teams (moreso the Hawks, I'm just not convinced that we can't beat the Kings), it's just this defeatist attitude of acting like we've already been swept and the season over is annoying me.
Right, while the offense has been a bit absent...I still think they're playing a solid brand of hockey leading into the playoffs.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:27 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Quote:
Be glad the posters aren't the ones actually playing then. Your optimism is nice, but it won't change the outcome of games any more than my pessimism will.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:28 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
It's not that big of a defeatest attitude. I don't doubt they'll make the playoffs. They can beat other teams. It's just that two specific teams are on such a higher level that if/when they meet in the playoffs, it's over in 4 or 5. That's just being realistic. I wouldn't have said that with last year's team. Too many guys have disappeared for too many stretches this year. The Blues got lucky to get the one win against Chicago, a game the Hawks by all accounts dominated, and they've been significantly outplayed all season by both Kings and Hawks. I see zero reason for hope against either of these teams. The Blues have shown nothing this year against them to suggest otherwise.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:28 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

since there was talk about him before: korac didn't tweet anything since the Hossa goal, seems pi**ed today
should be a bit more professional and focused on his job, but so should have been some of our players

Old
04-14-2013, 02:29 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I agree that the guys you singled out need to provide more, but what did Steen do to avoid that list? Stewart? Everyone outside the 4th line needs to provide more than they have the last few weeks. Seems like we can't get good defense AND good offense. We have to sacrifice one for the other.
Like I said, everyone in the top 9 can be better but those 6 in particular IMO. I think Steen has been pretty good. Nobody has been good enough with the way our offense has been playing, but overall I don't have that many complaints with Steen's game. He's playing like he usually always does and hasn't been as bad as the others - he's gotten SOME points.

Stewart yes should be on my list and needs to be better. Not enough compete level out of him out there today. However, he does lead the team in points and was basically carrying this offense at one point this season so I'm not going to be as harsh on him as opposed to guys like Perron, Berglund, Schwartz, McDonald, etc. who are giving this team nothing offensively and have been doing so for huge chunks of the season. That's my reasoning, take it or leave it.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:32 PM
upsidexout

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
since there was talk about him before: korac didn't tweet anything since the Hossa goal, seems pi**ed today
should be a bit more professional and focused on his job, but so should have been some of our players

He comes off a bit too fan-like a lot of times.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:34 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
Korac is really not that knowledgeable on the sport. I appreciate his coverage but he writes a lot of things that are just stupid.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:46 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

The Blues' offense has been a tick above Nashville for a month and a half. Everyone focused on defense leading up to the deadline but the defense was quietly playing well for a couple weeks before April 3rd. I'm happy they made some big upgrades at D but the offense was the much more troublesome aspect of the team at that point as Allen had stabilized the goaltending. Teams like LA and Chicago just further expose how flawed this forward core is. Seriously, I think they had four scoring chances combined in the LA/CHI games. We have some of the more perimeter top 9 forwards in the Conference and hopefully Armstrong ends his allegiance to some of them this summer.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:55 PM
BlueDream

Also, Bouwmeester looked pretty bad today. Leopold not great either.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Bluesman91

We need to trade some wingers for a #1C in the offseason.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Our team defense today was good enough to get the job done, had our offense showed any life. Our hustle was adequate, although nowhere near excellent.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:26 PM
GrandPapillon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Our team defense today was good enough to get the job done, had our offense showed any life. Our hustle was adequate, although nowhere near excellent.
Sums it up almost perfectly.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Hard to create offense when Hitch frowns on creativity and his main objective to scoring is throw pucks on net from any angle and pray for a juicy rebound.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:38 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Hard to create offense when Hitch frowns on creativity and his main objective to scoring is throw pucks on net from any angle and pray for a juicy rebound.
Most ES goals aren't "creative", even for the most talented teams in the NHL.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Most ES goals aren't "creative", even for the most talented teams in the NHL.

Maybe not, but it sure helps. What about PP goals?

Old
04-14-2013, 03:43 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Maybe not, but it sure helps. What about PP goals?
Need better puck movement.

Old
04-14-2013, 03:44 PM
taylord22

Hitch: "We're in a position to shoot the puck, we stick-handle it, try to put it thru someone's legs ... 5 seconds later it's in our net."
Anyone else bothered by this being the precedence with which Hitch decides to passively isolate a player? I agree, but 1. forcing a shot off a shin pad (a la most of our top 9) has led to more goals than cuts to the middle and 2. David Perron

Old
04-14-2013, 03:48 PM
GrandPapillon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylord22 View Post
Hitch: "We're in a position to shoot the puck, we stick-handle it, try to put it thru someone's legs ... 5 seconds later it's in our net."
Anyone else bothered by this being the precedence with which Hitch decides to passively isolate a player? I agree, but 1. forcing a shot off a shin pad (a la most of our top 9) has led to more goals than cuts to the middle and 2. David Perron
Perron took his lumps and got benched as a rookie for similar moves. True Perron is still guilty of similar offenses, (as are Berglund and Oshie though Perron is the easy target for fans) but they got tough love in their first years as well

Last edited by Celtic Note: 04-14-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Avoid the name calling
Old
04-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Tarasenko needs more ice. For anyone who looks at advanced statistics: Tarasekno is 13th in the league among forwards in Relative Corsi (for 20 or more games). If you don't know, its simply on-ice minus off ice corsi (goals + saves + missed shots + blocks per 60 minutes). Sure its just a stat and team reliant, but it is very telling. We are a much better team when he is on the ice. Yet he gets less than 12 minutes a game per 60 minutes. The only forwards who average less are Schwartz, Nichol, Porter and Reaves.

We need to score. Give him more time now, because come 2 week, I have a feeling we're gonna need his scoring ability even more. He might still be a rookie, but he's been playing with men for a while now, and has proven he can play at very high levels, and under pressure. The more time he gets the better. He's in great shape and could likely handle more ice time fairly easily. It's not going to hurt this team at all, he's far from a liablity. The best defense, is a good offense right?

Is there any argument for him getting 'low' ice time?

Closed Thread