HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: Antropov for Toskala

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2005, 01:33 PM
HipCzech
Just win the game

vCash: 500
Proposal: Antropov for Toskala

This was posted in the Shark's board by a Leaf fan. We want everyone's opinion because we got called homers when we responded.

To San Jose: N.Antropov, 2nd OR 3rd round draft pick in 05 or 06
To Toronto: V.Toskala, A.Korolyuk

Old
04-22-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipCzech
This was posted in the Shark's board by a Leaf fan. We want everyone's opinion because we got called homers when we responded.

I'd hold on to Toskala if i'm the Sharks...and if i'm the Leafs, this is the exact type of deal you have to start looking for

Not a bad deal, Leafs should try to deal Antropov before everyone realizes how much of a stiff he is...no offense Leafs fans...

Old
04-22-2005, 01:46 PM
MojoJojo

Antropov isnt nearly as valuable as Leafs fans think.

Old
04-22-2005, 01:46 PM
gretzky99

Quote:

Theres no way I do this if I am the Sharks. An injury prone Antropov, whose value has just continued to fall since his break out year, for V.Toskala, whose value continues to rise. Why would San Jose trade a guy whose value keeps on going up, for a guy whose value is on the decline? Doesn't make sense.

As for A.Korolyuk although he may be older then Antropov, he put up last year, 19 goals, 18 assistss, 37 points in only 63 games.

As for Antropov, 13 goals, 18 assists, in 62 games (1 less then Korlyuk). Antropov is 4 years younger.

Old
04-22-2005, 01:47 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

I'd hold on to Toskala too. I don't think Antropov would fly in SJ. And Korolyuk is a very good player too.

It's not a bad offer or trade by any means but I would not do it if I was SJ.

Old
04-22-2005, 01:50 PM
mooseOAK*

Antropov is the best player in the trade so the Leafs automatically lose.

Toskala hasn't proven he can be an NHL goaltender and Korolyuk is the type of player that drives coaches nuts, ask Darryl Sutter. Besides, small players who aren't all that interested in playing defence are better suited for the western conference than the east.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Antropov is the best player in the trade so the Leafs automatically lose.

Toskala hasn't proven he can be an NHL goaltender and Korolyuk is the type of player that drives coaches nuts, ask Darryl Sutter. Besides, small players who aren't all that interested in playing defence are better suited for the western conference than the east.
Antropov
2003-04 Toronto NHL 62 13 18 31 +7

Toskala
2003-04 28GP 12-8-4 1SO 2.06GAA .930SV%

And just for comparison, Nabokov:
2003-04 59GP 31-19-8 9SO 2.21GAA .921SV%

I'd say after last season, Toskala is actually more proven than Antropov. 28 games is a pretty good stretch of play for a goaltender, especially on a team with as solid a netminder as Nabokov. Antropov has yet to prove he can play a full season, as only once has he ever hit 70 games, 15 goals or 40 points, and only once has he scored at more than a .5 ppg. Antropov is not any more proven than Toskala. He's had one season of putting up top 6 numbers (and even those were marginal), just like Toskala has had one season of putting up #1 goalie numbers (which were awfully impressive). But Toskala has not been plagued by injuries, which in my mind, makes him safer.

And since I doubt Korolyuk is traded for picks, I don't see the Sharks having any interest in the original proposal.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Squeaky

Am I alone in thinking that Korolyuk is worth more than the pick? I'd think a straight up Antropov/Toskala deal would be a little more appropriate.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Am I alone in thinking that Korolyuk is worth more than the pick? I'd think a straight up Antropov/Toskala deal would be a little more appropriate.
Korolyuk is worth more than Antropov IMO.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:20 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
Antropov's only 24. If Antropov ever pulls it together, he'd be 3 times the player Korolyuk ever was or is. Of course the question is...will Antropov ever pull it together?

IMO, I think yes, however I don't believe it will be with the Leafs. I can see why other teams fans love to bash Antropov, but I would not be suprised to see Nik turn into the next Steve Sullivan, Fredrik Modin, Jason Smith or Alyn MacCauley.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:22 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
Antropov
2003-04 Toronto NHL 62 13 18 31 +7

Toskala
2003-04 28GP 12-8-4 1SO 2.06GAA .930SV%

And just for comparison, Nabokov:
2003-04 59GP 31-19-8 9SO 2.21GAA .921SV%

I'd say after last season, Toskala is actually more proven than Antropov. 28 games is a pretty good stretch of play for a goaltender, especially on a team with as solid a netminder as Nabokov. Antropov has yet to prove he can play a full season, as only once has he ever hit 70 games, 15 goals or 40 points, and only once has he scored at more than a .5 ppg. Antropov is not any more proven than Toskala. He's had one season of putting up top 6 numbers (and even those were marginal), just like Toskala has had one season of putting up #1 goalie numbers (which were awfully impressive). But Toskala has not been plagued by injuries, which in my mind, makes him safer.

And since I doubt Korolyuk is traded for picks, I don't see the Sharks having any interest in the original proposal.
It isn't that uncommon to see a backup goalie have decent stats because they get the backup goalie workload and schedule.

As far as Antrpov is concerned that along with the RSL schedule this year he has played about 100 games without getting injured. That time seems to have passed mostly because he is stronger physically than he was earlier in his career.

So, it makes no sense to trade a 6'6", 225 pound forward with good offensive skills and can be counted on defensively for a goaltender that has proven nothing so far, is older, and fills no need on the Leafs.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:27 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
and you think you will get an unbiased opinion at hockey's future? You say Leafs and half the population starts drooling like pavlovian dogs and their minds turn to pancake batter.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:34 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
Then I think that you have drunk 'til you've drowned.

Old
04-22-2005, 02:41 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle
Antropov's only 24. If Antropov ever pulls it together, he'd be 3 times the player Korolyuk ever was or is. Of course the question is...will Antropov ever pull it together?

IMO, I think yes, however I don't believe it will be with the Leafs. I can see why other teams fans love to bash Antropov, but I would not be suprised to see Nik turn into the next Steve Sullivan, Fredrik Modin, Jason Smith or Alyn MacCauley.
Which is why its a risk to move him now...I think once Quinn (eventually) leaves, we might see a change in his game, but that's just specutation on my part.

Antropov for Toskala = potential for potential...but factoring in injuries, and a few lackluster performances in the past, the Leafs would need to add something at this point. Id gamble and stick with Nik for now...at worst he's a big, two-way 3rd liner who can kill penalties and chip in offensively when needed, but he's shown he's capable of doing much more, it's just a matter of being more consistent.

Old
04-22-2005, 03:06 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Agreed completly. Get Korolyuk and the pick out of the deal.

Antropov for Toskala straight up.

Old
04-22-2005, 03:11 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
Agreed completly. Get Korolyuk and the pick out of the deal.

Antropov for Toskala straight up.
SJ would be crazy to do that deal, especially after seeing their last backup become a huge success.

Old
04-22-2005, 03:17 PM
gretzky99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
SJ would be crazy to do that deal, especially after seeing their last backup become a huge success.
I agree, I really can't understand how Leaf fans are justifing that Antropov is better then Toskala. In my opinion, Toskala is the best player in this deal.

*On a side note, I think the Canucks could/should be able to put together a better package then that.

Old
04-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Crossroads*

Quote:
Exactly what are the chances of that happening? Now everyone thinks just because Kipper had a break out year that every goaltender in the SJ system will be exactly like him.

In my opinion, I'd keep Antropov over Toskala. He'll be a backup goaltender for the rest of his career. No use giving up a great 3rd liner and good 2nd liner for that.

Old
04-22-2005, 03:29 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
For every Kipprusoff there are scores of backups who never became much more than that. That's why backup goalies have very little trade value.

Old
04-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads
Exactly what are the chances of that happening? Now everyone thinks just because Kipper had a break out year that every goaltender in the SJ system will be exactly like him.

In my opinion, I'd keep Antropov over Toskala. He'll be a backup goaltender for the rest of his career. No use giving up a great 3rd liner and good 2nd liner for that.
Thats because you guys do not follow SJ players or prospects closely as some. I, for a few years, believe that both Kipper and Toskala are better than Nabokov. Johnny Boy would be my first choice to ship off...not only do I keep the better goaltender but also bring in a much bigger return. I'd be more than comfortable bringing in Toskala as the number 1 goalie when (if?) the players come back. Nabby is a great regualr season goalie...gives them a chance to win every night but I question his mental toughness once the playoffs get rolling. I didn't doubt Kipper and I wouldn't doubt Toskala (although Miikka is the better of the two in my mind).

Its not like SJ will trade him anytime soon anyways...who do they bring in to replace him...Schaefer (big thumbs down) or Patzold (I'll grow a third thumb to put down)?

04-22-2005, 03:46 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads

If you have watched Toskala you will understand the immense potential and talent he has. It is not his fault SJ, already has a very good #1 goalie. Toskala has the talent to be a #1 goalie in the league for any team, he just needs the chance, just like Kipper needed his chance.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Twist and Shout

No, we're keeping Big Nik

Old
04-22-2005, 04:23 PM
gretzky99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenSteen
No, we're keeping Big Nik
You can. The problem with Nik Antropov, and debating anything involving him is that leaf fans vastly overrate him, while other underate him.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky99
You can. The problem with Nik Antropov, and debating anything involving him is that leaf fans vastly overrate him, while other underate him.
No, actually there are plenty of Leafs fans that hate Nik while there are quite a few 'other' fans that like his intangibles. If we were to trade him now, we would regret it. When he gets a couple of seasons in without injuries, he'll be great for us.

Toskala would be a nice goalie to acquire. The Sharks liked him better than Kipper, so there is always that chance that he will shine as much as Kipper after being traded, but IMHO, the risk is too much in trading a young forward (with good potential - which we lack in the organization) for a goalie that isn't guaranteed to make it as a starter.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenSteen
No, actually there are plenty of Leafs fans that hate Nik while there are quite a few 'other' fans that like his intangibles. If we were to trade him now, we would regret it. When he gets a couple of seasons in without injuries, he'll be great for us.

Toskala would be a nice goalie to acquire. The Sharks liked him better than Kipper, so there is always that chance that he will shine as much as Kipper after being traded, but IMHO, the risk is too much in trading a young forward (with good potential - which we lack in the organization) for a goalie that isn't guaranteed to make it as a starter.
Eventually the Leafs are going to have to replace Belfour. He's 40 now, that's pretty darn old. I really don't see him playing 2 more seasons, even 1 might be pushing it a little. I'm personally of the pool of thought that doesn't think the Leafs can be a top-notch contender for a few years, I feel a rebuild of some sort is inevitable. Toskala looks like a really good option to me. Give Belfour his shot, if he falls apart, you've got a promising goalie who may or may not make it as a starter. If Toskala doesn't work out, hopefully (actually, hopefully not. I'm a habs fan.) a legit star hits the market soon and the leafs can try to buy him up with the cash freed up by Belfour.

That's how I see things in net for the Leafs at the moment, anyways, so if I were in that position, I'd be pretty happy to do an Antropov/Toskala swap. I'm also pretty high on Toskala, which influences that decision.

Closed Thread