Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
I don't think anyone is overreacting. This team has been awful for a month and a half and has been inconsistent going back to the mid season mark last year. Like most people I gave the entire organization a break last year because the team played a ton of hockey in 2010/2011 and won a cup. But I am not buying this "shortened season" crap. Everyone has a shortened season not just the Bruins. If this team sputters again in the playoffs making a big change will by no means be an overreaction in my opinion.
Shortened season is not an excuse. It's a reason not to overreact.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:47 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

I'm not trying to pick fights here or anything, but I honestly don't see how, if, and only if, this team sputters in the playoffs for the second straight year, that making a change is overreacting.

I am not predicting it will happen, although I feel it may happen, but this roster is better than two straight first round flameouts. I reiterate, I am not trying to spread doom and gloom or be dramatic. Shortened season or not, this team is good enough to at least make the ECF if playing to their full capabilities. If they lose in the first round to the Leafs, Sens, or Caps, that should be considered a failure. And in this business, that axe usually falls on the coach, justifiable or not. I am holding out faith like the rest of yas, but not so much faith that two years of disappointing finishes would warrant a free pass.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:05 AM
PsychoDad

Thank god I remember all the "fire Julien" threads from the SC season right before the playoffs started.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:24 AM
averagealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBruinsFan View Post
I'm not trying to pick fights here or anything, but I honestly don't see how, if, and only if, this team sputters in the playoffs for the second straight year, that making a change is overreacting.

I am not predicting it will happen, although I feel it may happen, but this roster is better than two straight first round flameouts. I reiterate, I am not trying to spread doom and gloom or be dramatic. Shortened season or not, this team is good enough to at least make the ECF if playing to their full capabilities. If they lose in the first round to the Leafs, Sens, or Caps, that should be considered a failure. And in this business, that axe usually falls on the coach, justifiable or not. I am holding out faith like the rest of yas, but not so much faith that two years of disappointing finishes would warrant a free pass.
I agree. This roster's too good for consecutive first round losses, so if we go out in the first to a beatable team I'd imagine that it would be reasonable to make a coaching change. Claude simply doesnt seem to be currently extracting the team's potential and he's had long enough to expect some improvement unless he's simply ineffective or the team is tuning him out. Either way, my 2011 Stanley Cup patience is wearing off.

I know I said it in a previous post, but I'm not sure this team necessarily needs a defense-first coach right now. Posters here always talk about how great Claude's system is, and I don't disagree that it can be extremely effective. However, when a team plays a very conservative, defense-first style of hockey, they shouldn't be blowing third period leads, yet the Bruins this season have blown lead after lead in the third period. If the defense isn't winning games why continue using such a defensively-minded system? A team third best in the league in goals against should be much more dominant than the Bruins have been. We have plenty of offensive talent, and I want to see it used better, and there's simply no excuse for our dismal powerplay given the firepower we have.

Sure, some of this "Fire Claude!" stuff may look like an overreaction when you consider how good our position in the standings is, but I've found myself increasingly frustrated with Claude and his style. His line combinations are often nothing short of idiotic. The powerplay flat out sucks, and I'm tired of the blown leads. I think a change will be necessary and justified if the team underperforms in the playoffs again.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:31 PM
nords1995

Quote:
Don't be an ass. I don't need attention, if you don't like the thread then don't post in it.
--
I apologise if my post disrespected you. Didn't meant to.

I was saying my point of view with a little smile, and trying to say to you we hear you... but actually playoffs are close and changes needs to be from inside not outside the locker room. My thoughts were let go on CJ, you will have be capable of calling out CJ if they lose... on which I will also disagree but that will be another post... so
-----
So while I believe CJ is doing a good job, your posts are all but respectful - again I apologise if you felled disrespected by my post.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

I don't think that even if that happened, it would be indicative of Julien's failures outweighing his successes. And what you wouldn't be factoring in, is the reasons WHY they lose, or HOW they lose.

I think the roster is good enough right now to win. But I also think it's a little weird and lacking in some identity... I don't know how that will play out in the post-season.

Let's put it this way. The only thing that will surprise me - is total Bruins domination. Everything else is on the table as distinct possibility.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:51 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nords1995 View Post
--
I apologise if my post disrespected you. Didn't meant to.

I was saying my point of view with a little smile, and trying to say to you we hear you... but actually playoffs are close and changes needs to be from inside not outside the locker room. My thoughts were let go on CJ, you will have be capable of calling out CJ if they lose... on which I will also disagree but that will be another post... so
-----
So while I believe CJ is doing a good job, your posts are all but respectful - again I apologise if you felled disrespected by my post.
No worries man. While I don't agree that Claude is best fit for this team in the long run I do agree no change will/should be made this year and like all Bruins fans I hope for the best come playoff time. Go Bruins.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:30 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
I don't think that even if that happened, it would be indicative of Julien's failures outweighing his successes. And what you wouldn't be factoring in, is the reasons WHY they lose, or HOW they lose.

I think the roster is good enough right now to win. But I also think it's a little weird and lacking in some identity... I don't know how that will play out in the post-season.

Let's put it this way. The only thing that will surprise me - is total Bruins domination. Everything else is on the table as distinct possibility.
I don't feel that it would be indicative of success vs. failure either, at least as a whole. In my mind if a coach wins one Cup with a franchise in this era, it doesn't really matter what else he does with the team it should be viewed as a successful tenure. However, every coach has a shelf life. I am not turning down the possibility that they turn it up for him and he looks like a genius. I hope that happens, and I'd be happy to have him as a coach long term if he remains effective. But if they fizzle out, buh bye, thanks for everything (not sarcastic).

Old
04-20-2013, 06:14 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagealex View Post
I agree. This roster's too good for consecutive first round losses, so if we go out in the first to a beatable team I'd imagine that it would be reasonable to make a coaching change. Claude simply doesnt seem to be currently extracting the team's potential and he's had long enough to expect some improvement unless he's simply ineffective or the team is tuning him out. Either way, my 2011 Stanley Cup patience is wearing off.

I know I said it in a previous post, but I'm not sure this team necessarily needs a defense-first coach right now. Posters here always talk about how great Claude's system is, and I don't disagree that it can be extremely effective. However, when a team plays a very conservative, defense-first style of hockey, they shouldn't be blowing third period leads, yet the Bruins this season have blown lead after lead in the third period. If the defense isn't winning games why continue using such a defensively-minded system? A team third best in the league in goals against should be much more dominant than the Bruins have been. We have plenty of offensive talent, and I want to see it used better, and there's simply no excuse for our dismal powerplay given the firepower we have.

Sure, some of this "Fire Claude!" stuff may look like an overreaction when you consider how good our position in the standings is, but I've found myself increasingly frustrated with Claude and his style. His line combinations are often nothing short of idiotic. The powerplay flat out sucks, and I'm tired of the blown leads. I think a change will be necessary and justified if the team underperforms in the playoffs again.
Since the Pens won the Cup, in the following 3 years they have made it out of the 1st round exactly one time, to lose in the 3rd round following their Cup win.....I`ve never played the "I expect" game when it comes to playoff hockey and the on paper talent game. Far too many variables and crazy situations happen in playoff hockey.

This team "should" have the depth/D/experience to move forward but....

Old
04-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:

After the playoffs end, management probably will not be assessing Julien's sucesses or failures. Rather if he is the best coach available to take the team in the direction they want to go. To me, resigning Jagr would mean a different direction (and a different coach). But there are many other factors as well.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:53 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Would be weird to hire a coach based on a 41-42 year old player getting upped another year. Sounds foolish.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Would be weird to hire a coach based on a 41-42 year old player getting upped another year. Sounds foolish.
Like I said, there are other factors also.

But from what I've seen so far, it doesn't look like a good fit.

Now, if Bs win the Cup and Jagr's a big part of it and wants to come back, guess your right. Not only sounds foolish, is foolish.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:21 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Like I said, there are other factors also.

But from what I've seen so far, it doesn't look like a good fit.

Now, if Bs win the Cup and Jagr's a big part of it and wants to come back, guess your right. Not only sounds foolish, is foolish.
Even if the B's don't win the Cup, factoring the 41 yr old Jagr into a coaching decision at all would be ludicrous. Look at the younger players the B's have under contract for the next 5 years and what's coming up, and then decide whether you want to move forward with Julien.

Personally, with the Cap going down, and coming off a shortened season, I don't see any way Julien doesn't return as coach, unless the team was swept and played pathetically. Even then, I think he would get the benefit of the doubt and one more year to bounce back.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
I don't feel that it would be indicative of success vs. failure either, at least as a whole. In my mind if a coach wins one Cup with a franchise in this era, it doesn't really matter what else he does with the team it should be viewed as a successful tenure. However, every coach has a shelf life. I am not turning down the possibility that they turn it up for him and he looks like a genius. I hope that happens, and I'd be happy to have him as a coach long term if he remains effective. But if they fizzle out, buh bye, thanks for everything (not sarcastic).
But what are you using to measure success? Must he win a Cup every second season just in order to keep his job?

If you want to make a change, you have to be relatively sure that it will be a positive one. Otherwise, why do it?

Old
04-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

You can never make everyone happy.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Fun fact: last Bruins coach with a better winning % than CJ: Mike Milbury

Old
04-20-2013, 01:10 PM
du5566*

I just wanted to officially express my distaste for Claude making Dougie Hamilton; the Bruins most dynamic offensive defenseman and the only one on the roster who seems truly comfortable moving the puck up ice and working the point on the PP, a healthy scratch again. That is all, Haha.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:23 PM
finchster

Quote:
I just wanted to officially express my distaste for Claude making Dougie Hamilton; the Bruins most dynamic offensive defenseman and the only one on the roster who seems truly comfortable moving the puck up ice and working the point on the PP, a healthy scratch again. That is all, Haha.
With the world jr's, OHL and NHL games this year; Hamilton has played around 80 games this season.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:34 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
With the world jr's, OHL and NHL games this year; Hamilton has played around 80 games this season.
Haha, got to make sure that 19 year old gets plenty of rest.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:37 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:
But what are you using to measure success? Must he win a Cup every second season just in order to keep his job?

If you want to make a change, you have to be relatively sure that it will be a positive one. Otherwise, why do it?
Obviously not. If the team is trending downward and it continues over multiple seasons, and poor playoff results, that would be an indicator of a problem. It's a what have you done for me lately business. Obviously I wouldn't want him out without a solid backup plan, but if they falter again in the playoffs coaching has to be at least looked at, or Chiarelli would be mishandling his franchise.

Barry Trotz is one of the best coaches in the league, some consider him the very best. If his team finishes out of the playoffs next year, there's a very good chance he would be gone after 2 straight poor showings. Even after guiding his low budget, 0-talent up front, grinder team to the playoffs for the better part of a decade.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:41 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Obviously not. If the team is trending downward and it continues over multiple seasons, and poor playoff results, that would be an indicator of a problem. It's a what have you done for me lately business. Obviously I wouldn't want him out without a solid backup plan, but if they falter again in the playoffs coaching has to be at least looked at, or Chiarelli would be mishandling his franchise.

Barry Trotz is one of the best coaches in the league, some consider him the very best. If his team finishes out of the playoffs next year, there's a very good chance he would be gone after 2 straight poor showings. Even after guiding his low budget, 0-talent up front, grinder team to the playoffs for the better part of a decade.

Some people just don't want to hear it.

Last edited by du5566*: 04-20-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 01:50 PM
finchster

Quote:
Haha, got to make sure that 19 year old gets plenty of rest.
The most out of all the players on the Bruins, first pro season and not to mention traveling overseas for WJHC etc. If you can't see how this is a hard situation for a first year player then frankly you're beyond help. There are plenty of other things you can yell and scream at Claude about, Hamilton getting a few games in the press box isn't really one of them.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:52 PM
C77

The entire team lacks confidence offensively except the new players that come in....and then they get sucked in too.

Claude is not getting enough out of his players....and it isn't just a couple guys.

Don't get me wrong....I know that Julien is a good coach. I just think his time has run its course here.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:55 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
The most out of all the players on the Bruins, first pro season and not to mention traveling overseas for WJHC etc. If you can't see how this is a hard situation for a first year player then frankly you're beyond help. There are plenty of other things you can yell and scream at Claude about, Hamilton getting a few games in the press box isn't really one of them.
Agree to disagree. Can't limp into the playoffs playing CRAP hockey and Dougie is the teams best offensive defenseman.

Last edited by du5566*: 04-20-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 02:07 PM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

Clöde has made some terrible decisions this year and seems to have lost the team. That's the impression I'm getting from watching the Bruins during this shorten season.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
The entire team lacks confidence offensively except the new players that come in....and then they get sucked in too.

Claude is not getting enough out of his players....and it isn't just a couple guys.

Don't get me wrong....I know that Julien is a good coach. I just think his time has run its course here.
Same **** has happened on a regular basis under that guy on 3 teams, with 100's of players, it HAS to be a coincidence.

Closed Thread