Claude Julien

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 12:29 AM
du5566*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Having read all of this thread I believe that there has been some good discussion and some very good thoughts brought up. With that being said I believe that some people forget that hockey is a business and it's not what you have done in the past, it's what have you done for me lately. This rendition of the Boston Bruins has not done much for themselves lately. As a matter of fact, looking back at the schedule I would say the last game in which they played a great game at both ends of the ice and actually looked like the Bruins team we know was a month ago against Washington. Since then, this team has been a shell of its former self. Even before then this team coasted to many one goal wins, winning on talent alone and coasting through many games. This team is faltering and the blame can be placed on two people. THe GM and the Coach. Although I feel the GM has made some mistakes, I feel that this team is a team that can win in the here and now and the vast majority of the team has won. That leaves one person responsible and that is the coach.

In the coaching world you are hired to be fired, trust me I know as that is my profession. Claude has run the Bruins for six years and for the most part has done a fantastic job. When Claude was brought in before the 07-08 season this team was lacking any sort of structure or identity. Claude was the perfect coach to bring both that structure and identity. As Claude built the culture, PC did a great job of adding and subtracting from the roster. All of this combined with great play from our players contributed to us winning our first Stanley Cup in 39 years and for that I will be forever grateful. Claude Julien helped bring the cup home and he is a good coach.

With that being said, all good things must come to an end and the end for Claude's reign as coach should be now. The play of this team over the past month and honestly the vast majority of the games shows that this team needs a new voice and a new direction. There are many components to this and I might be long winded, but I am going to explain my thoughts.

As one poster on this board has stated the bruins have become robots in this system. The players go out and have no creativity and are chained to the system. This worked in the past, but a combination of teams figuring out ways to exploit the system both offensively and defensively and our own players complacency in the system has led the Bruins to playing some of the worst hockey I have seen since the dreadful Dave Lewis days. Claude is a stubborn coach and that is ok. He stays with what he knows, because for the majority of his career what he knows wins hockey games. However, with this team adjustments need to be made because the system and the stubbornness to not give certain players a nice seat in the press box because of poor play has led to a team that will not contend for the cup. Since the game against the Capitals, the Bruins have played 15 games. Of those 15 games, 13 were against teams that were below us in the standings. During those 15 games the Bruins have lost a total of eight times. One against the penguins, two against the canadiens, and 5 out of ten against lesser opponents. The majority of this team, won a stanley cup, in fact you could argue that this team is better than the team that won a cup on paper. So either the players are all regressing, or the coach is no longer effective when it comes to this team. Again, it doesn't mean that Claude is a bad coach, but rather a coach that has run his course with a team.

Now this brings me to the long term picture with this team. In the next few years we are going to be seeing an influx of younger players making their way onto the Bruins roster. Players like Knight, KoKo, Spooner,and Krug. Not to mention guys like Seguin and Hamilton, who are both really early in there NHL careers. Heck even Marchand and Lucic are still young guys in the grand scheme of thing. The best long term move for this team is to let Claude go. As we all know, Claude is more of a veteran players coach. He likes to go with the known commodity and does not like to put younger players in certain positions. This is one of his bigger flaws. I also believe that Claude is not good at developing young talent. He is a systems coach and doing so he develops players to be systems players, he does not refine their individual talents and severely lacks a skill development component. The proof is in the next paragraph.

David Krejci first full season with the Bruins 73 points followed by seasons of 52,62,62. At least an 11 point reduction in the next three seasons. During the 73 pt season he was a third liner and over the next three he was the first line center. Blake Wheeler's first season here he had 45, followed by 38, followed by 27 pts in 58 games, followed by a 62 pt season, in his first full season as a Jet. During Seguin's rookie year I believe he was handled appropriately by the staff and sheltered fairly well. Most 18 year old players need that there first full year in the show. However, his first real season that he was counted on he had 67 points. this year he would be on pace for 58 over 82 games. He played 81 games the year before, So again we are looking at a player who is around a 10 point drop after relatively good first seasons, or in Seguins case his second season, where he was counted on. Milan Lucic has not seen a reduction in points, like the three previously mentioned. But, I believe the vast majority of people here we have seen a huge reduction in the quality of play from Milan over the past two and a half seasons. He is no longer the player that broke in the league and was a threat on every shift. Surely, you can not ask a player to play that type of game every shift, it is impossible. However, Lucic has been damn near invisible in a lot of games both this year and last year and that is not good for a young player who is signed to a long term deal at 6 mil per. There are four forward out of twelve, who have broke into the league under Claude. Of those four I believe that only Blake Wheeler has been able to reach a level that is around his ceiling and he has done so under another coach and another system. Krejci, Lucic, and Seguin are all still young hockey players and can reach higher ceilings. Krejci and Lucic have been big players on this team for five years and I believe have a lot more to offer. I will say that I am a huge Krejci fan and have been hard on Lucic in the past, but I believe that both of these guys can give more. As far as Seguin goes, his development has been non-existant. Here is a guy that came into the league highly touted and with all of the offensive skill one can have. And yet we see him have every one on one broken up. We see him make poor decisions with the puck and we see him lose battles on a consistent basis. This guy has all the skills to be in the elite level of the league. Now we need a coach who can refine those skills. I do not have any defensive comparisons as our defensive corps has always been made of a veteran group, with the exception of McQuaid who is a serviceable stay at home 6th or 7th dman. We do have Dougie, but it is unfair to judge his development on one season and a shortened season at that. Now the question is are you prepared to move ahead with the future of this team playing for Claude, who is not known for developing talent? With the major crunch in salary cap ELC's are going to be vastly important and need to be developed. Claude is not the coach of the future for this organization.

I will not go into to much detail about the line-up, but for the love of god will you please play the players where they should be. There is no reason for Jagr to be playing with Campbell. There is no reason for Seguin to be playing on the third line and not out there for a six on four against the canadiens when he has the best offensive skill set on the team not named Jagr. There is no reason that one of Lucic or Horton hasn't been sent down to the third line at the very least. If it were up to me one of them would be sent to the press box for a game, if anything to send a message that the complacency has to stop and nobody is untouchable. And what are you doing with a line of Thornton, Campbell, and the Dogman doing out there in the final 1:30 looking for a tying goal? The line-up is also a relevant issue to this whole topic and is really perplexing.

Lastly, how do we fix this. My answer is totally off the wall, but I believe would provide a shot in the arm to this team and give this team a head coach that was proficient at both ends of the ice, is incredible for young players and recently just won a gold medal at the WJC. Phil Housley should be the next coach of the Boston Bruins and here is why. He Ranks 37th all time in points, 4th all time for points by a defensmen, and he did this while playing for some truly bad teams. He was a minus player over the course of his career, but this had to do with playing on bad teams. Only one team that he played made a serious run at the cup and the others were all bounced in the first round. Secondly, he led a team that needed to come together quick in order for our team to win a tournament at the World Junior Championships this past year and he did so with a system that employed a tight defensive game, but still had room for a creative offensive game. The Bruins need to turn this season around quickly or we will be out in the first round. Third he would do wonders for our power play. Fourth, he would serve as an amazing mentor for Dougie Hamilton and we would watch this kid become an offensive weapon from the blue line. The Last reason that I have is that he can develop young player. He has been a high school coach for the past several years, which some of you may laugh at. However he is developing these players to division one hockey players and that means he is teaching the game. They are not just becoming robots of a system, but rather being taught the ins and outs of the games. Sure all of the NHL players have been taught along the way, and they all know the ins and outs of the game, but they are not being developed once they hit the NHL they are either staying the same and or regressing. That is a problem. Our team could learn from one of the best to play the game. He would be the guy I would target if I were PC and I would do it now.

This team needs to get a fire in their bellies, because there hasn't been one in a months time and they are tuning out their coach. Claude has done it all and he will continue to coach in this league. His time in Boston has run it's course and I firmly believe a new direction is needed. One that will breathe some new life in this team and lead this current roster deep into the playoffs. And one that can develop the next crop of rookies and our younger players, so that we can compete year in and year out. Thats my two cents. Would love to hear both sides and your opinions on it. Thanks for reading my book.
Great post! I don't think you could better explain the situation. You hit the nail on the head here. Again, well done.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:34 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Claude is not getting fired.

I see this season finishing a few different ways.

- We get bounced in round 1. Chiarelli does a partial roster reconstruction. The only players that will be here for sure are Chara, Rask, Hamilton, Seguin, Marchand and Bergeron. Claude does not get fired. Chiareli will hand him a new deck to play with for 13/14. His seat will be officially hot though.

- We go out with a whimper in round 2. See above.

- We go out fighting in round 2. Losing in 7. Smaller roster tweaks. Claude is on the hot seat.

- We go to the ECF. See above, no hot seat.

- We make it to the Final and lose. Everything stays the same.

- We win the Cup. This thread look foolish.

I don't see a single scenario where Claude Julien is getting fired. He either ends up on the hot seat, no change or gets a contract extension.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:40 AM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
Claude is not getting fired.

I see this season finishing a few different ways.

- We get bounced in round 1. Chiarelli does a partial roster reconstruction. The only players that will be here for sure are Chara, Rask, Hamilton, Seguin, Marchand and Bergeron. Claude does not get fired. Chiareli will hand him a new deck to play with for 13/14. His seat will be officially hot though.

- We go out with a whimper in round 2. See above.

- We go out fighting in round 2. Losing in 7. Smaller roster tweaks. Claude is on the hot seat.

- We go to the ECF. See above, no hot seat.

- We make it to the Final and lose. Everything stays the same.

- We win the Cup. This thread look foolish.

I don't see a single scenario where Claude Julien is getting fired. He either ends up on the hot seat, no change or gets a contract extension.
Funny because I don't see any scenario in which Claude keeps his job if the Bruins lose in the first round.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:43 AM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
How soon people forget - that is, if they ever recognized it - how much those maligned third and fourth liners had to do with the Bruins' Stanley Cup win. I'll always cherish the memory of the Bruins coming at their opponents in waves, fresh and strong. Thanks so much for reminding me of what I admire so much about this coach and team.

OK, back to it. On with the bashing! (We really need a popcorn-eating smilie.)
Mmmmmm..... Savor that kool aid!

Old
04-15-2013, 01:28 AM
OldSchoolBear
Lurking in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Having read all of this thread I believe that there has been some good discussion and some very good thoughts brought up. With that being said I believe that some people forget that hockey is a business and it's not what you have done in the past, it's what have you done for me lately....

And what are you doing with a line of Thornton, Campbell, and the Dogman doing out there in the final 1:30 looking for a tying goal? The line-up is also a relevant issue to this whole topic and is really perplexing.

Besides agreeing with every word, I've lurked on HF for years and this is the best post I've ever read. Of all the things covered, the part about "Thornton, Campbell and the Dogman" out for the last 1:30 while trailing by a goal crystallizes why CJ, despite coaching the team to a cup in 2011, is not the coach they need going forward.

Save the lectures on where they stand and the points they have, etc. This team is a shadow of what they could be and anybody sane can see it.

The fact that CJ isn't going anywhere unless they get embarrassed in the first round, doesn't mean the OP isn't 100% correct. Personally, if they are not going to win the cup again this year, I hope they get swept in round one, or else we can hunker down for a few years of epic under achieving frustration.

Last edited by OldSchoolBear: 04-15-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: My Sanity
Old
04-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Fopppa

Not really having read through the thread, I struggle with the notion of judging anything or anyone based on this weird congested 48-game, frigging lock-out monstrosity of a season. It's not a normal circumstance and does not give any answers. The playoffs are a different animal, of course, and as always it will make or break the season. I reserve my judgement until that part of the season is over.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
He can be too stubborn at times.

Luckily, in 2011 Chia and Cam had to come downstairs and slap him around a bit to put Chara with Seids.

Time to do the same and put Krejci with Jagr.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:30 AM
hemispheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Sorry, when I look up to the rafters, I look for Stanley Cup banners, not division championships. And in all those years of regular season success his teams went out in the first or second round 5 times. Not exactly stunning success.

I'm not saying those losses were all on him. Like in all team sports, the blame can be spread around. But purporting that his record is one of the reasons he's deemed irreplaceable seems a little much.

Until the next coach comes in and sucks.
Am I wrong in saying one of those banners were under his watch?
Then we will be missing the good old Julien days.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:18 AM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fopppa View Post
Not really having read through the thread, I struggle with the notion of judging anything or anyone based on this weird congested 48-game, frigging lock-out monstrosity of a season. It's not a normal circumstance and does not give any answers. The playoffs are a different animal, of course, and as always it will make or break the season. I reserve my judgement until that part of the season is over.
This.

The trouble with Claude, his system, and the way this team is built is that it's designed for grind it out hockey. Unfortunately, that's a detriment this season with the shortened and condensed schedule creating exhausted players. For teams with a couple pure goal scorers that can glide around and wait for their openings to score a few quick goals but do little else50 minutes a night, the schedule is an advantage.
For playing awful, the team still wins more than it loses and is going to the playoffs. With a more regular schedule and injured players back... I'd expect that's really gonna decide if Claude's lost the room.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
Mmmmmm..... Savor that kool aid!
I've been following the Bruins since Terry O'Reilly was a rookie. You damn well better believe I'm "savoring that kool aid."

Some day Julien will have retired and this team will be a memory and people will all be crying for the Good Old Days.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:03 AM
C77

Chiarelli keeps bringing in more offensively talented players but Julien still has this team playing as if it has no offensive talent. If this team wins this season it will be in spite of the coach.

Normally what you see when a team adds high quality offensive pieces (like Seguin) is that it gets better offensively. It tends to inflate the point totals of the other players on the roster either through being a linemate of that player or being on a different line and getting easier matchups.

Many players on this team are playing below their ability level. If it was just one or two players it wouldn't be a big deal as that is normal. Sometimes players have an off year.

It's hard to see how anyone could think that Julien is getting the most out of his players this season.

What does it tell you when Kelly, Peverley, Lucic, Horton, Seguin, Ference, Boychuk, and even Chara and Seidenberg haven't played as well as they have in the past?

And in some cases these guys look like completely different players.

Julien's system kills offensive players confidence and it looks like they've had enough of it. And this leads to people saying "well they just don't have enough talent" which at this point is ridiculous.

Another example....Randy Carlyle wins the Cup with Anaheim but his team was awful with him the past few seasons. Bring in a new coach and all of a sudden the team is completely different.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:08 AM
hemispheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
Chiarelli keeps bringing in more offensively talented players but Julien still has this team playing as if it has no offensive talent. If this team wins this season it will be in spite of the coach.

Normally what you see when a team adds high quality offensive pieces (like Seguin) is that it gets better offensively. It tends to inflate the point totals of the other players on the roster either through being a linemate of that player or being on a different line and getting easier matchups.

Many players on this team are playing below their ability level. If it was just one or two players it wouldn't be a big deal as that is normal. Sometimes players have an off year.

It's hard to see how anyone could think that Julien is getting the most out of his players this season.

What does it tell you when Kelly, Peverley, Lucic, Horton, Seguin, Ference, Boychuk, and even Chara and Seidenberg haven't played as well as they have in the past?

Julien's system kills offensive players confidence and it looks like they've had enough of it. And this leads to people saying "well they just don't have enough talent" which at this point is ridiculous.

Another example....Randy Carlyle wins the Cup with Anaheim but his team was awful with him the past few seasons. Bring in a new coach and all of a sudden the team is completely different.
I somewhat agree to this even though I do like Julien,
Example to make your case: They have allowed Jagr to play his game and he doesn't look out of place.(defesively a little,but thats to be expected)

Old
04-15-2013, 12:31 PM
EastCoastNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post

Well, I don't want to see you ever calling Lucic and Horton lazy for the rest of the season in the playoffs, or say that this team has no finishers if you're going to pin that on Julien, since you want to attribute their play to him. Their lack of production, turnovers, and floating around the zone has little to do with Julien, unless you want to try and tell me that he's telling them to float.

People want to keep saying that Julien has this amazing roster, yet half of these players are criticized every single game. I don't believe their laziness/lackluster play has a lot to do with Julien. Certain players on this team have been that way for most of their careers, but we've also seen them turn it on. It's a shortened season with this team gearing up for the playoffs.

And, once again, don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

Please tell me where the Bruins have finished in goals for and goals against the past five to five seasons under Julien? You can try to spin the numbers any way you want, but they show that this team puts up goals, AND keeps them out of the opposing teams net.

If you want Julien to "open the system" more, get ready for more goals in the back of the net, and the all too common and often ridiculous "high glove side" posts.

If Julien opens it up, there's a great chance that the same people dying for that to happen will be the first on Julien when they see that he's opened it up, but all that has resulted are shots high and wide by Seguin, misses by Peverley, and some whifs by Horton. People would be calling for his head.

This team has offensive talent, and they produced. It's a balanced attack when this team is playing well, and it's proven to work.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
mattbnh

I pretty much hate the 'third man high' offense, but with this compressed schedule
- They need help defensively to guard against odd-man rush vs tired defense (who play more minutes).
- 'third man high' is better than 'three below the goal line' which is how a cycling/boards team typically gets in trouble defensively.
- If the players are as tired as is being implied, defense first might be the best approach, rather than balls to the wall and a playoff burnout.

A bigger problem is the slow mechanical breakout with so much back passing that an opponent can hem them in for a full shift and change lines before the Bruins get the puck out of their zone.

I honestly think Julien is holding back on Krecji-Jagr because he thinks at some point the team will need that as a boost.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:17 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastNiner View Post
Well, I don't want to see you ever calling Lucic and Horton lazy for the rest of the season in the playoffs, or say that this team has no finishers if you're going to pin that on Julien, since you want to attribute their play to him. Their lack of production, turnovers, and floating around the zone has little to do with Julien, unless you want to try and tell me that he's telling them to float.

People want to keep saying that Julien has this amazing roster, yet half of these players are criticized every single game. I don't believe their laziness/lackluster play has a lot to do with Julien. Certain players on this team have been that way for most of their careers, but we've also seen them turn it on. It's a shortened season with this team gearing up for the playoffs.

And, once again, don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

Please tell me where the Bruins have finished in goals for and goals against the past five to five seasons under Julien? You can try to spin the numbers any way you want, but they show that this team puts up goals, AND keeps them out of the opposing teams net.

If you want Julien to "open the system" more, get ready for more goals in the back of the net, and the all too common and often ridiculous "high glove side" posts.

If Julien opens it up, there's a great chance that the same people dying for that to happen will be the first on Julien when they see that he's opened it up, but all that has resulted are shots high and wide by Seguin, misses by Peverley, and some whifs by Horton. People would be calling for his head.

This team has offensive talent, and they produced. It's a balanced attack when this team is playing well, and it's proven to work.

All the signs are there that the coach has lost the team. The captain of the team has been sulking for the whole year like he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders. You've got the comments from Krejci and Lucic last year after the playoffs. You've got Peverley's comments this year after the loss in Philadelphia. This team has lost its identity and they need a new voice.

The Bruins have a tough schedule but from what I've seen they've been outworked as a team in the majority of their games this season. Every other team in the league also has to play 48 games in the same number of days.

And there's the other side of the spectrum. Sometimes players actually exceed expectations. The only guys doing that this year are Paille and the two goaltenders.

A player like Seguin should be in the 70-80 point range every year. He is that talented.

The way this team is playing is a joke. The Bruins have been out-shot in each of the last 6 games and going back to the 7th game they gave up 47 shots. In each of those games they have had 3 or fewer powerplays. They don't skate. They don't hit. They don't work hard. And most games they can't even be bothered to start a scrum. They need someone to light a fire under them and Julien isn't doing it anymore.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:30 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

Not gonna quote NMF due to length, but that was a great post. I'm not a Claude hater by any means, always liked his style and I feel he doesn't get enough credit for the Cup run. However, the way this team is playing, even when they were healthy (Kelly aside -- a third liner getting hurt should not send you into a tailspin), they were playing uninspired, going through the motions. As for firing him right now, I'm not sure. As I posted previously if they have a bad playoff run (not reaching ECF), he should be gone. They haven't been the same since the Vancouver game 2 Januaries ago. He's been tuned out. As for the "short season" arguments, that's BS. Because the schedule's compressed, the coach should be given a pass for underperformance and poor lines? No, I'm sorry. Just because you played 3 games in 4 or 5 nights does not mean Jagr should be playing with Campbell, or Horton still gets first line minutes.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
I've been following the Bruins since Terry O'Reilly was a rookie. You damn well better believe I'm "savoring that kool aid."

Some day Julien will have retired and this team will be a memory and people will all be crying for the Good Old Days.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

We are lucky to have Clode. I wouldn't change him for any other coach in the league.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
We are lucky to have Clode. I wouldn't change him for any other coach in the league.
Neither would I.

And that's not to say that he's above criticism. I don't like his lines with Jagr here and Bergy out. I'd like to see some more concentration of talent on the top two units. I don't like seeing a fourth line out with under two minutes to play when we need a goal. And I'm not sure if he's got the boys playing softer since January '12, but even if not, I'd like to see him light a fire and get them playing HARD again like we saw during the Cup run.

Foppa mentioned this season as being a silly barometer with which to measure most opinions. I agree with him. I recall mentioning during the 2011 season that I had never EVER seen this place with more bitter negativity and took a bit of a break as result. I figure Julien would have bought some respect with his Cup, but it hasn't taken long for many in this crowd to forget - and ridicule a team and a coach with one of the best records in the NHL.

There's a difference between disliking a decision, and being a spoiled little *****. I can't even... I feel so fortunate that being a Bruins fan was in my blood that I can't even express it. Part of that is what we've seen over this last five seasons and what we're watching NOW.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Neither would I.

And that's not to say that he's above criticism. I don't like his lines with Jagr here and Bergy out. I'd like to see some more concentration of talent on the top two units. I don't like seeing a fourth line out with under two minutes to play when we need a goal. And I'm not sure if he's got the boys playing softer since January '12, but even if not, I'd like to see him light a fire and get them playing HARD again like we saw during the Cup run.

Foppa mentioned this season as being a silly barometer with which to measure most opinions. I agree with him. I recall mentioning during the 2011 season that I had never EVER seen this place with more bitter negativity and took a bit of a break as result. I figure Julien would have bought some respect with his Cup, but it hasn't taken long for many in this crowd to forget - and ridicule a team and a coach with one of the best records in the NHL.

There's a difference between disliking a decision, and being a spoiled little *****. I can't even... I feel so fortunate that being a Bruins fan was in my blood that I can't even express it. Part of that is what we've seen over this last five seasons and what we're watching NOW.
Well said, MMB. I guess that's where I am now.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:04 PM
du5566*

Quote:

Some day; I predict in the not so distant future, Julien will be fired and Chia/Neely will bring in a coach who's philosophy better suits the young core of this team. Fans will then be forced to acknowledge how poor of a job Claude did with this team and how much of a miracle 2010/2011 actually was. As NMF so eloquently detailed in his above post; this team is just too young and talented to fit into the stubborn, defense first, veteran friendly, dump and chase, roll 4 lines, worry about line combos coming out of the PP frustrating as all hell hockey style!

Last edited by du5566*: 04-15-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old
04-15-2013, 02:13 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Neither would I.

There is also a difference between offering real and constructive criticism towards the team you cheer for and being a hopeless romantic who is filled with foolish optimism despite what plays out on the ice every other night. If people want to give Claude a pass because of 2010/2011 and some regular season wins this year and last then so be it. I just hope Chia and Neely are a little more critical of Claude and the team he coaches.

Last edited by du5566*: 04-15-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old
04-15-2013, 02:13 PM
ap3lovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastNiner View Post
I think you are missing the point. These players would likely flourish in another system. There hasn't been any change in the system in far too long and it looks like the players are playing bored. It's hard to put your heart into your job when you don't like going into work everyday.

No one thinks CJ is telling the guys to float. However far too many players on the roster are playing like they are just going through the motions. During a Toronto/Boston HNIC broadcast Healey said that he spoke to Chara before the game and he said the "system is boring, but it works". If your captain is getting bored on the ice, your players are too.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:17 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
I think you are missing the point. These players would likely flourish in another system. There hasn't been any change in the system in far too long and it looks like the players are playing bored. It's hard to put your heart into your job when you don't like going into work everyday.

No one thinks CJ is telling the guys to float. However far too many players on the roster are playing like they are just going through the motions. During a Toronto/Boston HNIC broadcast Healey said that he spoke to Chara before the game and he said the "system is boring, but it works". If your captain is getting bored on the ice, your players are too.
If Chara is "bored" with Claude's system what do players like Krejci, Marchand, and Seguin think of it?

Claude's system requires full participation; every single player must buy in for it to work. Does anyone here actually believe that every Bruins player is still 100 percent committed to playing in Claude’s system? If your answer is yes then you are hopeless and if it’s no then it’s time for a change.

Last edited by du5566*: 04-15-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old
04-15-2013, 02:29 PM
C77

How does this team go into Montreal with first place on the line...and not put a single shot on goal for most of the first period? Isn't that concerning?

Why aren't they ready to play? And doesn't at least some of the responsibility fall on the coach?

We saw it again in both games against Carolina the Bruins were dominated by a team that had 1 win in 15 games. Outworked and out-shot 16-4

And we saw it again in the games against Philadelphia and Buffalo when it was blatantly obvious that the Bruins were going through the motions. Philadelphia dressed a lineup without Coburn, Meszaros, and Grossman and with Bruno Gervais getting 20+ minutes, and another defenseman making his NHL debut and the Bruins barely put any pressure on the Flyers.

Closed Thread