HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I'm pretty sure I said it right before the season started, and I'm holding by my statement. We end up finishing in a position to draft 9th, but end up winning the lottery. Seth Jones is ours.
But then MacT goes BOLD and selects CURTIS LAZAR

Old
04-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I heard that for this season only they were gonna use the old draft lottery system..next year and beyond the new system..
I think you may be wrong

Old
04-20-2013, 08:32 PM
SterlingArcher

For this year I believe the idea was going to be the old draft lottery system but then at some point either just before or even during the season they decided otherwise. It seems to me like this board just like I am would be very happy with one of Barkov or Monahan. Or at least those are our two first choices if we don't win and have a chance at Jones. It also seems that Barkov won't fall any rip further than 5 while Monahan could be somewhere between 5-8. It seems we will likley land there and have an opportunity of at least one of them.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:35 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
2013 draft lottery format:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-nhl-draft-lottery-odds/

All 14 non-playoff teams have a shot at the #1 pick...

Odds:

1st - 25.0%
2nd - 18.8%
3rd - 14.2%
4th - 10.7%
5th - 8.1%
6th - 6.2%
7th - 4.7%
8th - 3.6%
9th - 2.7%
10th - 2.1%
11th - 1.5%
12th - 1.1%
13th - 0.8%
14th - 0.5%

In the past, teams could only move up 4 spots... now any team missing the playoffs can win and move up to #1.

Obviously the bottom 5 teams still have the best collective odds of winning the lottery and selecting at #1 BUT the teams from 6-14 collectively have a 23.2% shot at winning the lottery so it's not out of the question to see a long shot team that misses the playoffs by a few points picking at #1.

What might be confusing some people is that the NHL (and NHLPA I assume) has had preliminary conversations about adjusting the odds that each non-playoff team has in the draft... possibly increasing the odds for teams in those 10-14 spots and likely decreasing the odds for the 1-5 teams... giving teams less incentive to "TANK". They haven't reached any agreement though on changes which is why the odds stay the same for each spot this season... the only change being that any of the 14 can now win and pick #1.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 04-20-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
For this year I believe the idea was going to be the old draft lottery system but then at some point either just before or even during the season they decided otherwise. It seems to me like this board just like I am would be very happy with one of Barkov or Monahan. Or at least those are our two first choices if we don't win and have a chance at Jones. It also seems that Barkov won't fall any rip further than 5 while Monahan could be somewhere between 5-8. It seems we will likley land there and have an opportunity of at least one of them.
Now that Krueger has publically stated he told the team to aim for 21st overall, I'm confident they will pick in the top 5 because if I learned anything this year, it's that this team is allergic to expectations.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:35 PM
SDig14

Isn't cutting the worst team in the leagues chances from 48% to 25% of picking the best player enough to avoid "tanking"? What's next, 15%? The worst team only had the chance to pick the best player once every 7 years?

Old
04-20-2013, 10:50 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Yeah can't see how they can reduce it much more.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:08 PM
SterlingArcher

I don't think it will totally eliminate tanking though because you will only slip down to second place in the draft standings if they really want it to be eliminated they should do what the NBA does.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I don't think it will totally eliminate tanking though because you will only slip down to second place in the draft standings if they really want it to be eliminated they should do what the NBA does.
Watching the NBA though, it doesn't seem to stop NBA teams from tanking hard either, lol.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Hypothetical: If we managed to get another first round pick in the 10-20 range, who would you pick?
If we take a forward with our first pick maybe a defenseman would be good. Some people seem to be very high on Robert Hagg around here. The draft is forward heavy at the top. Only 6 defenseman in the top 30 on mynhldraft.com. I'm sure some people here also like Josh Morrissey, but I'm not really a fan.

I'd be perfectly fine with Bo Horvat, Curtis Lazar, Ryan Hartman, Valentin Zykov, maybe even Kerby Rychel. Actually I'd be thrilled to get Zykov. He seems to be the least talked about prospect ranked in the top 30.. His frame reminds me of Tarasenko. He's just an absolute tank at 6'1 215. Also a Russian that might go well with Yakupov. He's a future power forward, something we lack in the system.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:15 AM
plikestechno

Barring a miracle, we should be picking top 9 which is great as that seems to be where the dropoff starts. Hopefully we don't reach out of the top 9 prospects. They all seem like guys I'd be happy with.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:35 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Now that Krueger has publically stated he told the team to aim for 21st overall, I'm confident they will pick in the top 5 because if I learned anything this year, it's that this team is allergic to expectations.
When did he set this goal? Was it at the start of the season or just lately? Does anyone know?

Old
04-21-2013, 02:22 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
When did he set this goal? Was it at the start of the season or just lately? Does anyone know?
After we started losing and missed the playoffs. Just after everyone started whining that we shouldn't tank, and right before people started whining that we weren't tanking

04-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Isn't cutting the worst team in the leagues chances from 48% to 25% of picking the best player enough to avoid "tanking"? What's next, 15%? The worst team only had the chance to pick the best player once every 7 years?
The worst team will still be guaranteed 2nd ov.

Historically the 2nd pick has been basically just as good.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Baggers

If the team wins the lottery and gets Seth Jones ... I don't think even the Oilers could screw that one up.

The Oilers' defence in a few years if the team takes jones:

Jones - J. Schultz
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - Marincin/Musil/N. Schultz/...

Old
04-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
If the team wins the lottery and gets Seth Jones ... I don't think even the Oilers could screw that one up.

The Oilers' defence in a few years if the team takes jones:

Jones - J. Schultz
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - Marincin/Musil/N. Schultz/...
Ah yes, because they've screwed up an number of other top picks as I recall

Old
04-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Mr Sakich

the tampa / carolina game is pretty big for us. A win by tampa might allow us to get to #5.

Assuming Jones + Drouin go top 2, that leaves one of Barkov, mackinnon, and Nichushkin available to us.

Any one of those 3 might end up being the best player from the draft

Old
04-21-2013, 10:01 AM
doubledown99

I hope the Oilers hold onto both their 2nd rders. There are going to be some really good potential prospects available. I'm going to just focus on the potential D (and only from WHL and OHL:

J. Morrissey (might drop to 2nd)
M. Bowey
I. McCoshen
C. Bigras
S. Theodore
J. Subban
D, Heatherington
E. Roy

Than you add in the potential goalies as well that could be available:

Fucale
Jarry
Martin
Comrie

And we could be walking out with 3 impact players with our picks in the 1st and 2nd round

Old
04-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Can someone who's watched more tell me about Barkov's and Monahan's skating? Speed, acceleration, stride, lateral movement etc. All I've read so far is that they're both big and play very physical, have decent shots, while Barkov is the superior playmaker and has higher hockey IQ, while Monahan is the superior faceoff/defensive player. I have however read that both have some problems with their skating, which could prevent them from making an impact in the NHL offensively. Forwards, especially centers, with skating deficiencies tend to struggle in the offensive zone. Guys like Jordan Staal and Sean Couturier (although the latter still has time to fix the skating) have a solid defensive game because they rely more on positioning than speed, but have difficulty beating defenders/getting good looks in the offensive zone.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:40 AM
doubledown99

Magnoctophas, Monahan's skating is not bad. He is waaaaay better than Couts (who looks awkward skating).

Monahan actually looks good skating and when he is in stride he is fine and his speed is fine. I think people might want better first step acceleration maybe but he is also a big guy and most big guys are like that. I think his skating can be compared to Horc. Horc isn't slow but he isn't a burner either. Or Getzlaf....Getz has good speed but isn't a burner. Monahan is fine for speed.

Can't comment on Barkov....

Old
04-21-2013, 12:16 PM
SterlingArcher

Both Barkov and Monahan aren't burners but they aren't that bad. Both are probably average and its probably the thing they need to work on most. Oilers have done a fine job with players like Lander,Ganger and Eberle in recent history. They could use a bit of everything when it comes to skating some lateral, acceleration and more addition to their full speed. At least I know for sure about Barkov in that regard and somewhat for Monahan

Old
04-21-2013, 12:21 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Can someone who's watched more tell me about Barkov's and Monahan's skating? Speed, acceleration, stride, lateral movement etc. All I've read so far is that they're both big and play very physical, have decent shots, while Barkov is the superior playmaker and has higher hockey IQ, while Monahan is the superior faceoff/defensive player. I have however read that both have some problems with their skating, which could prevent them from making an impact in the NHL offensively. Forwards, especially centers, with skating deficiencies tend to struggle in the offensive zone. Guys like Jordan Staal and Sean Couturier (although the latter still has time to fix the skating) have a solid defensive game because they rely more on positioning than speed, but have difficulty beating defenders/getting good looks in the offensive zone.
From what I've heard skating is the only weakness in Barkov's game. But as stated before, Oil have had success working on guys who have had weaker skating, so that wouldn't be a concern to me at all. He survived on the big European ice, sure he'll do fine here.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:26 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Barring a miracle, we should be picking top 9 which is great as that seems to be where the dropoff starts. Hopefully we don't reach out of the top 9 prospects. They all seem like guys I'd be happy with.
the top-8 are a clear cluster, everything from the 9th pick on is more of a crapshoot .... jones/drouin/mackinnon/barkov/nichushkin/lindholm/monahan are the clear top-8 players... if we can finish 23rd or lower, we will end up with one of these guys (likely lindholm, monahan or nurse)... it sure would be nice to drop one more position though, to all but ensure the fact that we will have the chance to draft one of the centres

Old
04-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Yeah, I was kind of worried about Monahan being Sean Couturier 2.0 due to his lack of improved production this season. But as long as the skating is fine, he should have no problem producing in the NHL.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:43 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
You mean have a totally rigged draft? There is a reason why as bad as they have been the only year Toronto ended up with the #1 is when Bargnani was projected as #1, and basically considered the worst top tier of a draft in years.

If the NHL draft was like the NBA's we would have got one first overall, and I would imagine the others would have went to New Jersey and Montreal.

Closed Thread