HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 12:55 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I hope the Oilers hold onto both their 2nd rders. There are going to be some really good potential prospects available. I'm going to just focus on the potential D (and only from WHL and OHL:

J. Morrissey (might drop to 2nd)
M. Bowey
I. McCoshen
C. Bigras
S. Theodore
J. Subban
D, Heatherington
E. Roy

Than you add in the potential goalies as well that could be available:

Fucale
Jarry
Martin
Comrie

And we could be walking out with 3 impact players with our picks in the 1st and 2nd round
Morrissey dropping to the 2nd.. lol. He could get picked top 10........ He's in a different class than the other guys you mentioned.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:57 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Yeah, I was kind of worried about Monahan being Sean Couturier 2.0 due to his lack of improved production this season. But as long as the skating is fine, he should have no problem producing in the NHL.
Whats wrong with being Couturier 2.0?

Old
04-21-2013, 01:29 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
thats what i was thinking as well... i would LOVE to have couturier on my team... great player, and we should be very pleased if our 1st round pick this year ends up as good as him

Old
04-21-2013, 01:38 PM
FunkyChicken

Voted Nischushkin.
You don't fill holes in the 2013-14 season with a 7th pick. Take the BPA who just happens to be a power forward (bonus!!!), wait three years and hope we have another Tarasenko on our hands.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:19 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I'd just like the Oilers to finish bottom 7 so they get at least the #8 pick (if a team behind them wins the lottery they'd move down 1 spot).

Any of Jones/MacKinnon/Barkov/Drouin/Nichushkin/Monahan/Lindholm/Nurse would be solid assets to pick up.

It would be interesting to see though what the Oilers would do with the #9 pick if all those 8 were already gone.

Would they pick up a centre like Lazar or Horvat at that point?
Would they go with a dman like Pulock/Ristolainen/Zadorov ?
Would they trade the pick for more immediate roster help?
Would they trade up to get into the top 8?

I honestly don't know what they'd do at that point. It all depends on what possible deals were on the table from other teams... and how true it is that MacT is going to be bold and aggressive.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:05 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Here is what I would like the Oilers to do based on them having different picks.

1. Jones
2. Barkov/MacKinnon
3. Barkov/MacKinnon
4. Trade down up to 2 spots to whichever team wants Drouin more. Hopefully grab a third 2nd.
5. Monahan
6. Nichushkin
7. Lindholm/Nurse
8. Lindholm/Nurse

Also I'd like them to try package our 2nds and maybe more to jump up high enough to grab Lazar. Especially if we miss out on a C with our pick.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:14 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Here is what I would like the Oilers to do based on them having different picks.

1. Jones
2. Barkov/MacKinnon
3. Barkov/MacKinnon
4. Trade down up to 2 spots to whichever team wants Drouin more. Hopefully grab a third 2nd.
5. Monahan
6. Nichushkin
7. Lindholm/Nurse
8. Lindholm/Nurse

Also I'd like them to try package our 2nds and maybe more to jump up high enough to grab Lazar. Especially if we miss out on a C with our pick.
this is pretty much my exact board as well

Old
04-21-2013, 03:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Not as much offense as you'd hope for out of a guy that'll be picked ~5 in a stacked draft

04-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

1. Jones
2. Barkov/MacKinnon
3. Barkov/MacKinnon
5. Monahan
6. Nichushkin
7. Lindholm/Nurse
8. Lindholm/Nurse

Same board, except no Nichushkin.

Barring a lottery win, I'm expecting Monahan.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:38 PM
dnicks17

I almost have a feeling like we'll have to finish ahead of Carolina if we want Monahan.

A team could definitely surprise and take him in the top5 and I feel like it'd be Carolina.

Rutherford loves his big two-way players and OHLers.

At the same time he seems to lean toward the smaller skill types(Skinner, Murphy) at the top end of the draft though.

Could be interesting.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:54 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Nichushkin is ranked VERY highly by many scouting services (and rising). I think many of us here are somewhat biased in favour of North American prospects but Nichushkin has to be in consideration if the Oilers had a #7/8 pick and he was still there on the board.

ISS currently ranks him #2 behind only Jones.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
dnicks17

Lots of those scouting services love international play. Nichushkin had a great Four Nations tourney and skyrocketed up the rankings.

I still see a guy with questionable hockey sense, playing our least needed position(RW) and stuck in Russia for 2+ more years.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Oilers4life1987

With RNH injury does this mean we'll get Monahan or Barkov

Also hoping to get Kujawinski. Him and Monahan are great on the dot

Old
04-21-2013, 04:05 PM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I almost have a feeling like we'll have to finish ahead of Carolina if we want Monahan.

A team could definitely surprise and take him in the top5 and I feel like it'd be Carolina.

Rutherford loves his big two-way players and OHLers.

At the same time he seems to lean toward the smaller skill types(Skinner, Murphy) at the top end of the draft though.

Could be interesting.
The strange thing about many of the teams in the top-8, Carolina included, is that they don't really have a need for centers. In some instances, taking a center would be grossly disproportional to needs.

Would CAR draft Monahan given they have Staal-Staal-Nash down the middle already?

FLA has Huberdeau-Bjugstad; PHI Giroux-Schenn-Couturier; COL Duchene-Stastny-O'Reilly; TBL even to a lesser extent with Stamkos-Lecavalier.

At the same time, all those teams have either needs on wing or needs on defense. Assuming the standings stay about the same that they are, and assuming that NHL teams have players ranked about the same as scouting services do, I can't see Nichushkin or Nurse lasting past six.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:13 PM
doubledown99

Dnicks is right Car seems to prefer players from the OHL and they would be the team I'd worry about taking Monahan.

Yes they have the Staal bros but they might shift Jordan to wing (if Monahan is ready to take over 2nd line role).

Also, you can't rule out them taking Monahan and then shifting him to wing to learn the game (like Gally in Mtl).

Best case scenario is to hope Car ends up 3rd because they would likely take Drouin.

Fla seems to want Mack and Jones. Col wants Jones. Nsh I believe would go for Lindholm.

I hope Cal and Tmp pass us. I honestly don't see Col, Car or Nsh being interested in Nisch based on their recent drafting history

Last edited by doubledown99: 04-21-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 04:18 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Nashville would take Monahan you'd think.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:21 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

In regards to Nichushkin... what's interesting to me is that those scouting services obviously see his weaknesses and have evaluated his hockey sense and realize he's going to be playing in Russia for another 2 years... and still rank him very highly.

It's not as if they are overlooking all his cons in favour of all the pros... they do that for every prospect.

As far as being in Russia for the next 2 years... not a factor as he'll likely develop there as well as in Junior or in the AHL. The KHL is obviously a world class league and any team would be wise not to push him directly into an NHL lineup next year anyway. He's just turned 18 last month and likely needs that time developing outside the NHL no matter where he plays.

Big, skilled, fast skating, hard to handle LW... sounds like a good fit to me. The Oilers have Hall and that's about all on LW.

You can argue Maggie fits there as well on LW but we are looking out 2-3 years here and not just what the roster needs are today.

My read is that scouts see a very high ceiling for Nichushkin and he could be an absolute beast as he develops further as a 19,20,21 year old. I think a team is going to get a very good prospect if they pick him. Wouldn't be upset AT ALL if it was the Oilers.

Old
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
They should just win the lottery and send Hemsky and two 2nds to Nashville for their 1st and Schultz to PHI for their 2nd.

Jones, Nichushkin, Fucale

Old
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Yeah, would make sense.

Seems like they could really use a top-end PMD though, but there really aren't any available in that range.

I'd almost like to see them take Nurse just to see a Nurse-Weber pairing.

It would be terrifying.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:26 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
In regards to Nichushkin... what's interesting to me is that those scouting services obviously see his weaknesses and have evaluated his hockey sense and realize he's going to be playing in Russia for another 2 years... and still rank him very highly.

It's not as if they are overlooking all his cons in favour of all the pros... they do that for every prospect.

As far as being in Russia for the next 2 years... not a factor as he'll likely develop there as well as in Junior or in the AHL. The KHL is obviously a world class league and any team would be wise not to push him directly into an NHL lineup next year anyway. He's just turned 18 last month and likely needs that time developing outside the NHL no matter where he plays.

Big, skilled, fast skating, hard to handle LW... sounds like a good fit to me. The Oilers have Hall and that's about all on LW.

You can argue Maggie fits there as well on LW but we are looking out 2-3 years here and not just what the roster needs are today.

My read is that scout see a very high ceiling for Nichushkin and he could be an absolute beast as he develops further as a 19,20,21 year old. I think a team is going to get a very good prospect if they pick him. Wouldn't be upset AT ALL if it was the Oilers.
Basically all of Nischushkin's success has come at RW.

A swap to LW might not even be an option.

Look at the majority of other off-wing Russian scorers. They're practically a shadow of themselves on their "correct" wing.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:41 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I dunno... Yak has been moved around a lot as well and it's hard to say where Nichushkin would best fit in on the roster 2-3 years down the road. Could even be a solid bet at centre. Big body with a lot of speed and good hands. Why not an option at centre eventually.

People have been talking about Hall there, Maggie there... I'm just saying options are open over the next several years. You acquire an elite talent like that and develop it and you could have a very versatile forward who meshes well with the rest of the Oilers top 6.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Toydarian

If the pick order remains the same as the current standings, I think the two most unpredictable picks are FLA at no.1 and TBL at no.4.

I could see FLA picking either Mackinnon or Jones

I have no idea what TBL does. I would think the players they find most attractive are Jones, Drouin, Nichushkin, and Nurse. But that is only my guess based on team needs. They could be a potential trade partner if EDM really wanted Barkov.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I think Nashville would be more likely to look at Lindholm, just because he possesses a higher offensive ceiling than Monahan, who represents what Nashville has in excess, hard working types.

Plus Lindolm can be paired with their new toy, F. Forsberg.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Toydarian

I've already said this, but I REALLY think NSH tries to get Barkov. They have had some success with Finns, Barkov is known as a really strong two-way player (fits NSH to a T) and looks to have the offensive ability NSH is in desperate need of.

If EDM wants Barkov, they have to pick ahead of NSH.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
According to you nothing, considering that you think that he's better than RNH which quite frankly I find rather odd. For me if you're drafting top 5 you hope for a better talent than Couturier. If you're drafting 6-10 then a Couturier clone would be a solid pick.