HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 04:47 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
Look at players like Seguin/Galchenyuk. They ARE centres yet are starting on the wing to ease them in. Who knows, they may remain there for their entire careers.

My main point is... people get too fixated on what position a players plays now as a 17/18 year old... as if that's impossible to change over the course of his career once he develops and increases his abilities.... not just in the case of Nichushkin... but for many prospects.

Hell you even have rarities like Burns and Byfuglien who swap around on D and as forwards... I realize those are exceptions but the possibilities are always there.

Acquire extremely talented players 1st and worry about "too much of a good thing" later.

Do the Oilers really have that fear right now of being too talented? In any position? Many thought that might be the case but obviously Eberle on RW has regressed (at least this season) Yak will take a while to develop and Hemsky could very well be on his way out (and is injured much of the time anyway).

I don't think it's wise to draft positionally at the cost of passing over elite talent.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Toydarian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Look at players like Seguin/Galchenyuk. They ARE centres yet are starting on the wing to ease them in. Who knows, they may remain there for their entire careers.

My main point is... people get too fixated on where a players plays now as a 17/18 year old... as if that's impossible to change over the course of his career once he develops and increases his abilities.... not just in the case of Nichushkin... but for many prospects.

Hell you even have rarities like Burns and Byfuglien who swap around on D and as forwards... I realize those are exceptions but the possibilities are always there.

Acquire extremely talented players 1st and worry about "too much of a good thing" later.

Do the Oilers really have that fear right now of being too talented? In any position? Many thought that might be the case but obviously Eberle on RW has regressed (at least this season) Yak will take a while to develop and Hemsky could very well be on his way out (and is injured much of the time anyway).

I don't think it's wise to draft positionally at the cost of passing over elite talent.
The thing you see the most is Centres switching to wing. Rarely does it happen the other way (Wing --> Centre).
I think if you are picking a winger, you expect him to be a winger. If you pick a centre, his position might not be written in stone.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Yeah, I was kind of worried about Monahan being Sean Couturier 2.0 due to his lack of improved production this season. But as long as the skating is fine, he should have no problem producing in the NHL.
Monahan did not really have a "lack of improvement" in his production. YOu have to look beyond his point totals and see the circumstances he was playing under.

In 2011-2012 he had 33 goals and 78 points in 62 games. In 2012-2013 he had 31 goals and 78 points in 58 games. On the surface this looks like he plateaued. But in 2011-2018 he played with Toffoli (65gp 52g 48a 100pts) and Shane Prince (57 gp 43g 47 a 90 pts) with Codi Ceci (64gp 17g 43a 60 pts) on the back end.

In 2012-2013 the 67's were a terrible team and MOnahan was pretty much a one man show. The other talenetd offensive players, Tyler Graovac (also a center) and Codi Ceci were both traded. The team scored 60 fewer goals than the year before and no one else had more than 40 points.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:56 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Monahan did not really have a "lack of improvement" in his production. YOu have to look beyond his point totals and see the circumstances he was playing under.

In 2011-2012 he had 33 goals and 78 points in 62 games. In 2012-2013 he had 31 goals and 78 points in 58 games. On the surface this looks like he plateaued. But in 2011-2018 he played with Toffoli (65gp 52g 48a 100pts) and Shane Prince (57 gp 43g 47 a 90 pts) with Codi Ceci (64gp 17g 43a 60 pts) on the back end.

In 2012-2013 the 67's were a terrible team and MOnahan was pretty much a one man show. The other talenetd offensive players, Tyler Graovac (also a center) and Codi Ceci were both traded. The team scored 60 fewer goals than the year before and no one else had more than 40 points.
This. Monahan would have been a 100pt player with the same line this year.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:00 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Monahan isn't just an offensive player anyway. His big appeal is his two-way game and overall strength in all areas of the game. He's arguably the most complete player in this draft among forwards. Barkov is the other top contender for that title.

I agree as well... it's shortsighted to just look at goals and assists and say a player hasn't progressed... a hell of a lot of that has to do with teammates and the role a player plays on their team.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:05 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Basically all of Nischushkin's success has come at RW.

A swap to LW might not even be an option.

Look at the majority of other off-wing Russian scorers. They're practically a shadow of themselves on their "correct" wing.
I've mainly seen him play LW and most sites have him listed there as well. His goto move has always been cutting in from the left side covering the puck with his body when I've seen him.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:07 PM
SterlingArcher

Barkov or Monahan are the guys for me.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:18 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
Barkov or Monahan are the guys for me.
it is barkov >>> monoahan in my mind, i don't think monahan is really close to barkov actually.... however, unless we lose every game the rest of the way, barkov will be long gone

Old
04-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I think Monahan is being underrated here. He probably isn't as good as Barkov, but the difference isn't very big IMO. I think playing for such a bad OHL team has hurt Monahan a little.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:13 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I think Monahan is being underrated here. He probably isn't as good as Barkov, but the difference isn't very big IMO. I think playing for such a bad OHL team has hurt Monahan a little.
i'm just really, really high on barkov, more than i am down on monahan... i'd be very happy if we ended up with monahan if we pick 6-8... however, if barkov is on the board when we pick, we take him without question... he's bigger, has just as good of a 2-way game and has scored at an impressive rate in one of the best pro-leagues on the planet... barkov looks like a guy who will be a #2 center for sure, and might even be a #1 guy.... monahan looks like a for sure #3, who might be good enough to become a #2

Old
04-21-2013, 06:19 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Also, for what it's worth, Barkov is a little over 11 months younger than Monahan.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:35 PM
doubledown99

You guys are aware that MacT went to Sweden to scout Lindholm multiple times right? (before being promoted to GM).

I don't recall reading about him scouting anybody else prior to becoming GM (he is and has been scouting since being named GM).

Just something to consider.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
it is barkov >>> monoahan in my mind, i don't think monahan is really close to barkov actually.... however, unless we lose every game the rest of the way, barkov will be long gone
Just curious. Have you seen either play more than once or twice?
I just get annoyed when people make proclamations about particular prospects without firsthand knowledge. If you have seen each play a bunch, then i will defer to your opinion.
I have seen Monahan about ten or so times and see a lot of Toewslike qualities in him. If Barkov is way better than him then he must be an incredible player.

It would seem that Barkov is the better prospect but to say that he's THAT MUCH better? Not so sure about that.
I wouldn't be surprised if Monahan goes top 5.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:49 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
You guys are aware that MacT went to Sweden to scout Lindholm multiple times right? (before being promoted to GM).

I don't recall reading about him scouting anybody else prior to becoming GM (he is and has been scouting since being named GM).

That may be but that was also the nature of his last job.. he would go scout different players including a lot of college. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Does anyone else want Subban with one of our 2nds? I don't care he's a little short, because we've seen with his brothers that they fill out very well. Good skater, compact. We need another high end offensive D prospect, because we don't really have any.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:

Probably has seen most of the top draft eligible players.

There is a Youtube vid of MacT talking about Drouin and a bit about Mackinnon back in January.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB8wtln-n_k

Last edited by Karsa Orlong: 04-21-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: i suck at posting youtube vids
Old
04-21-2013, 07:27 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
That may be but that was also the nature of his last job.. he would go scout different players including a lot of college. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Does anyone else want Subban with one of our 2nds? I don't care he's a little short, because we've seen with his brothers that they fill out very well. Good skater, compact. We need another high end offensive D prospect, because we don't really have any.
I do. If we were talking forwards, I'd be iffy, but our defensemen are all big. We can afford to have one smaller guy (assuming he doesn't grow)

04-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Definitely Subban with one of our seconds. I wouldn't be surprised if someone took him with a late first though.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

Honestly I want somebody at least bigger than Sam Gagner.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
jmoss45

Barkov/Monahan with our 1st.

Subban with our 2nd

Comrie with ANH's 2nd

That would be ideal, though I bet MacT deals at least one of those 2 2nds to upgrade the current roster.

Also, from Matheson:

Quote:
The Oilers want Ottawa 67s centre Sean Monahan if he’s still available at their turn in the entry draft on June 30 in Newark, N.J. Edmonton would most likely be picking anywhere from fifth to ninth, but if he’s gone, they wouldn’t be adverse to taking a defenceman. The best two defencemen on every scouting list play in the Ontario Hockey League: Six-foot-five Darnell Nurse of the Sault St. Marie Greyhounds and six-foot-seven, 225-pound Nikita Zadorov, who plays for Dale Hunter with the London Knights. Zadorov is a bruising hitter, with some offensive ability, and a really good first step to pull away from checkers. You could see him in the Memorial Cup if the Knights return.

Last edited by jmoss45: 04-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 09:22 PM
puckfan13

Quote:

He's been all over... He was in Gatineau at games, Ottawa at games, Halifax, Boisbriand, Kingston. He was in Sweden in like October, it was also to check on the Oilers Swedish prospects I'm pretty sure, not strictly scout Lindholm. He's done a lot of scouting this year all over.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:05 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

It really seems to be a ridiculous group of high end prospects in this years draft.

Top 8 look like they could all end up as very good NHL players.

Then you have "second tier" players like Ristolainen, Pulock, Zadorov, Horvat, Lazar, Erne, Morrissey who could all end up being very good players as well.

Great year to have an early 1st.. but even a middling 1st is going to get a potentially excellent NHL player.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Bryanbryoil

Is Zadorov 6'7"? I thought that he was 6'5" tall?

04-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Colorado plays STL, PHX, MIN
Carolina plays NYI, NYR, PIT
Calgary plays NSH, STL, CHI
Tampa Bay plays TOR, BOS, FLA
Nashville plays CGY, DET, CBJ
Edmonton plays ANA, CHI, MIN, VAN

Bolded will be games to watch in the draft race.. I don't think Colorado will be moving up, Florida pretty much has 1st locked up, I could easily see Nashville winning at least 2 of the last 3, Tampa Bay could also win 2 of the 3, Carolina should win at least once, and I think Calgary wins once. I'm expecting us to win only once more this year.

If my predictions are right standings will look something like..

1. Florida (MacKinnon/Jones/Drouin)
2. Colorado (MacKinnon/Jones/Drouin)
3. Carolina (MacKinnon/Jones/Drouin)
4. Edmonton (Barkov)
5. Calgary (Monahan)
6. Tampa Bay (Nichushkin)
7. Nashville (Lindholm)

Old
04-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
It really seems to be a ridiculous group of high end prospects in this years draft.

Top 8 look like they could all end up as very good NHL players.

Then you have "second tier" players like Ristolainen, Pulock, Zadorov, Horvat, Lazar, Erne, Morrissey who could all end up being very good players as well.

Great year to have an early 1st.. but even a middling 1st is going to get a potentially excellent NHL player.
Calgary certainly picked the right year to rebuild.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:41 PM
CantHaveTkachev
"McDavid show"Oct/15

vCash: 785
I think the Oilers finish 6th

MacT celebrates like he won the Cup cause he doesn't want to see the TSN folks snicker at him when he pulls up to the TSN offices to do the Lottery show

Closed Thread