HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 02:11 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Drouin is the Hall while Mackinnon is the Seguin. Really can't go wrong with either, Mackinnon might have a better hockey sense or defensive game, but Drouin has thr X factor and personal drive that pushes him a step above. IMO
Please don't make that kind of comparison again, we all know how that would go.

Mackinnon I feel has less "hockey sense" than Drouin in terms of knowing what to do with the puck - and his superior defensive game IMO is due to him having a more mature body.

I feel Drouin has better vision, more drive, and you're right - that "X Factor" that Mackinnon doesn't. Kind of Kane/Giroux.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Please don't make that kind of comparison again, we all know how that would go.

Mackinnon I feel has less "hockey sense" than Drouin in terms of knowing what to do with the puck - and his superior defensive game IMO is due to him having a more mature body.

I feel Drouin has better vision, more drive, and you're right - that "X Factor" that Mackinnon doesn't. Kind of Kane/Giroux.
I'm not really sure why I'm not allowed to make that comparison, or why you're telling me what to do. But okay.

Drouin = Hall while Mackinnon = Seguin, and Drouin is quite obviously the better player because of his drive and intensity.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:32 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
I'm not really sure why I'm not allowed to make that comparison, or why you're telling me what to do. But okay.

Drouin = Hall while Mackinnon = Seguin, and Drouin is quite obviously the better player because of his drive and intensity.
Haha no I meant the violent dichotomy that would result on this board in comparing the two players would be unbearable if the Hall/Seguin comparison is made.

Either way, I don't feel there is a Hall/Seguin kind of vibe in comparing those 2. But we can agree to disagree.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Topkatz

I'm frustrated reading this thread.

To my mind, the Oilers have two big priorities this off season.

1. Acquire a (potential) top 2 defenceman.

2. Swap some pure finesse and skill for a combination of size, proper 'truculence' and 'belligerence' (to borrow a word or two from a certain someone), experience and scoring for the top 6.

Now drafting Sean Monahan might solve certain elements of one of these two things, It does not complete the puzzle. We still are lacking a potential top 2 defenceman. Sure, hypothetically we could trade for an elusive top pairing defenceman but who honestly is going to give a really good one up? We could aquire a 2nd line center with intangibles easier.

What I would personally do without a shadow of a doubt, is draft Darnell Nurse. This guy is a beast on the backend. He's 6'5. He hits big. He fights and sticks up for teammates. He can play defence. He can skate like the wind. He is proving that he has offensive ability. He is a leader and could be a future Oilers captain (we ideally need one or two standout candidates to pass it on to, including hall). He has truly outstanding athletic family pedigree. He has potential to be a number 1 defenceman in the NHL. And he has an awesome name so you know he is going to be good He has all the tools to be great!! Then what I do, i trade at least a primary combination of Eberle, Hemsky & Gagner to pick up size, grit and scoring on the top 6 and below. We have a number of other players that should be available for more trades too like Petry possibly if Nurse and Klefbom make the NHL next year.

Then, we are set for the playoffs next year in my book.

In summary: while Monahan is very good, we should use our high draft pick to draft a top line defenceman rather than an excellent 2nd line/1b center to bankup RNH then trade a couple of big skill pieces to fill in the rest of our needs..

Last edited by Topkatz: 04-24-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old
04-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Topkatz

Also down the line, how do you pay for quality defencemen when all your salary is locked up in your forwards?

Old
04-24-2013, 06:39 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkatz View Post
I'm frustrated reading this thread.

To my mind, the Oilers have two big priorities this off season.

1. Acquire a (potential) top 2 defenceman.

2. Swap some pure finesse and skill for a combination of size, proper 'truculence' and 'belligerence' (to borrow a word or two from a certain someone), experience and scoring for the top 6.

Now drafting Sean Monahan might solve certain elements of one of these two things, It does not complete the puzzle. We still are lacking a potential top 2 defenceman. Sure, hypothetically we could trade for an elusive top pairing defenceman but who honestly is going to give a really good one up? We could aquire a 2nd line center with intangibles easier.

What I would personally do without a shadow of a doubt, is draft Darnell Nurse. This guy is a beast on the backend. He's 6'5. He hits big. He fights and sticks up for teammates. He can play defence. He can skate like the wind. He is proving that he has offensive ability. He is a leader and could be a future Oilers captain (we ideally need one or two standout candidates to pass it on to, including hall). He has truly outstanding athletic family pedigree. He has potential to be a number 1 defenceman in the NHL. And he has an awesome name so you know he is going to be good He has all the tools to be great!! Then what I do, i trade at least a primary combination of Eberle, Hemsky & Gagner to pick up size, grit and scoring on the top 6 and below. We have a number of other players that should be available for more trades too like Petry possibly if Nurse and Klefbom make the NHL next year.

Then, we are set for the playoffs next year in my book.

In summary: while Monahan is very good, we should use our high draft pick to draft a top line defenceman rather than an excellent 2nd line/1b center to bankup RNH then trade a couple of big skill pieces to fill in the rest of our needs..
Only defenseman that maybe has sure-fire top pairing defense in the future is Jones, who the Oilers are unlikely to get, and wouldn't make the level of impact the Oilers need anytime in the next two years unless he turned out to be a near generational player. Nurse might be a top pairing defenseman, but a realistic timeline for him to hit that level if he maxes out his potential is 4 - 8 years, something that doesn't help the Oilers anytime soon.

Forwards are much easier to project, strong center ice depth is an absolute necessity for good NHL teams, forwards taken early in the draft tend to hit their peak much sooner, and the draft itself is top heavy in forwards this year. Add in the fact that the Oilers have 2 only centers that will for sure still be in the NHL in 2 - 3 years... in the entire organization no less(RNH and Gagner), and you have a depth issue arguably weaker than any of the defensive depth issues involving this franchise. The center position is also something much easier to address via the draft compared to defense, especially in this draft with 2 very strong fits right in the range of where the Oilers are drafting(Barkov/Monahan).

The weaknesses of the team(defense/toughness/size) are all things that can(and should be) addressed outside of the draft, and don't really require massive Mike Milbury type moves(aka, the trading any of Hall/RNH/Yak/Eberle).

Old
04-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Nail and Nuge

Can someone please settle my fears regarding Lazar?

I am so very concerned that if Edmonton is picking 6 or 7 that they will pick Lazar. With the Oil King link and the fact that Lazar is such a strong personality and good teammate, I am worried that they are going to be forego on a Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan and select Lazar.

I am haunted by our second round pick of Mitch Moroz.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:44 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Also down the line, how do you pay for quality defencemen when all your salary is locked up in your forwards?
Because down the line the salary cap will be in excess of 70 million and we'll have our best forwards locked up at $6M while other teams will be needing to spend $8M (Anaheim is giving us a preview with Perry & Getz)

6-6-6
5-5-6
2-2-1
1-1-1

6-5
4-3
2-1

ish

Old
04-24-2013, 06:46 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post

I am so very concerned that if Edmonton is picking 6 or 7 that they will pick Lazar. With the Oil King link and the fact that Lazar is such a strong personality and good teammate, I am worried that they are going to be forego on a Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan and select Lazar.

On yesterday's Oilers Now show, Stauffer said he prefers Monahan if the Oilers are drafting 5 or 6. Now obviously his opinion but we all know how close he is to Stu so that is most likely where out scouting department is leaning.

I think you can rest easy that the Oilers aren't going to select Lazar with their pick. They may trade back into the 1st rd if they like him that much

Old
04-24-2013, 07:07 AM
Nail and Nuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
On yesterday's Oilers Now show, Stauffer said he prefers Monahan if the Oilers are drafting 5 or 6. Now obviously his opinion but we all know how close he is to Stu so that is most likely where out scouting department is leaning.

I think you can rest easy that the Oilers aren't going to select Lazar with their pick. They may trade back into the 1st rd if they like him that much
Well said regarding the option of trading back.

I actually would not be averse to that. It would take some gumption to try and wait for him. Where do you think he drops? 15? Later?

Old
04-24-2013, 07:44 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Just looking at the standings and all the talk of tanking for the #1 pick by the various fanbases. Just had a thought that instead of the lottery to decide who should pick #1... they should give the #1 pick to the non-playoff team that has the best record over their last 10 games.

That would encourage teams to actually play their butts off over the final stretch whether they make the playoffs or not. The reward being a #1 pick for the team that misses the playoffs yet hasn't just resigned themselves to losing over the last few weeks.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:50 AM
DousedInOil

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we move our 2nds plus a roster player in order to move up and take Lazar if he is still around at 20. Hell, move a defence prospect like Marincin, Teubert, Gernat or Musil to get it done.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:03 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we move our 2nds plus a roster player in order to move up and take Lazar if he is still around at 20. Hell, move a defence prospect like Marincin, Teubert, Gernat or Musil to get it done.
If they draft Nurse with their top 8 pick I could see the Oilers trying to move up to get a Horvat/Lazar. Both those players probably go mid 1st though... probably in the 10-15 range. Horvat has been one of the biggest risers recently and Lazar will obviously attract a lot of eyes the further the Oil Kings go.

Probably much more likely though is the Oilers packaging picks/prospects for actual experienced NHL players to plug holes.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:23 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
If they draft Nurse with their top 8 pick I could see the Oilers trying to move up to get a Horvat/Lazar. Both those players probably go mid 1st though... probably in the 10-15 range. Horvat has been one of the biggest risers recently and Lazar will obviously attract a lot of eyes the further the Oil Kings go.

Probably much more likely though is the Oilers packaging picks/prospects for actual experienced NHL players to plug holes.
Barkov + Horvat and this team would be set down the middle for 15 years. Even though I'd hate to move Gagner, if we could get the 10-12th overall pick and land Horvat I would probably do it. It might hurt us down the middle for a couple years having 3 young centres but would be worth it down the road.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
PRV-Barkov-Yakupov
Lewis-Horvat-Hartski
Burish-Horcoff-Brown
Lander

Old
04-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Topkatz

If the Oilers end up with higher than the 10th pick and pick Lazar I will personally lead the charge to fire all the scouting staff!

No undersized prospects in the 1st or 2nd round this year please.

*WORSE FOR NURSE 2013*

Old
04-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post

This would be a classic Oiler move, kinda like: MAP, Nash, Plante, Moroz ... And sever other early epic fails like Steve Kelly or Bonsignore.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:01 AM
BowDangles

Here are the final 2013 NHL CS rankings.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9483

1.) Seth Jones
2.) Nathan Mckinnon
3.) Jonathon Drouin
4.) Darnell Nurse
5.) Sean Monahon

Looks like Oilers are going to need to be top 5 if they want a shot at Nurse or Monahon. Giving the choice who do you think they choose between the two?

Edit: Sorry just realized that this list did not include Euros

Old
04-24-2013, 10:01 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post

1.) Seth Jones
2.) Nathan Mckinnon
3.) Jonathon Drouin
4.) Darnell Nurse
5.) Sean Monahon

Looks like Oilers are going to need to be top 5 if they want a shot at Nurse or Monahon. Giving the choice who do you think they choose between the two?
Barkov or Lindholm.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:03 AM
BowDangles

FREDERIK GAUTHIER RIMOUSKI QMJHL C 6' 4.5" 214

What is the scouting report on this kid? He is huge for his age. Just under 6'5" and is already 214 at 18 years old.

Edit: Currently ranked to go in the lower half of the 1st round. Would trading both our seconds to move up and grab him be worth it?

Old
04-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Topkatz

Quote:

1.) Seth Jones
2.) Nathan Mckinnon
3.) Jonathon Drouin
4.) Darnell Nurse
5.) Sean Monahon

Edit: Sorry just realized that this list did not include Euros
The Oilers brass don't seem to like physical players so they'd probably take the less physical player in Monahon.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:09 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
The Oilers brass don't seem to like physical players so they'd probably take Monahon.
Because I know virtually nothing about Monahon I am a little lost...Is he a physical player?

Old
04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWK Fan 97 View Post
I thought that Edmonton was in solid shape in the centre position (tentative of course Ganger comes back). The Oilers need defense more than anything. I recommend all you Oilers fans learn about darnell nurse and ryan pulock. These would be excellent picks for the oilers and would address defense which everybody complains about.
We need NHL defencemen, we have D prospects.

What we don't have is many quality forward prospects, especially at center. A big 2 way C like Barkov or Monohan would be a great add to the organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWK Fan 97 View Post
I get that, but we need some depth at defense. I honestly think it was a mistake taking Yakupov over Murray (just my opinion) because edmonton had enough skilled forwards.

And also, what can we trade for a young dman now? Besides Klefbom we dont have a lot of top end prospects, especially if we use our pick on Sean Monohan with the idea that hes in the lineup right away.
I really liked murray and wanted him at #2, but theres no way you can leave a talent like yakupov on the table.

We have assets to trade for a young Dman: Gagner, Eberle, or this pick, i'd much rather trade this pick for a D than use it to select a D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarTransition View Post
I mentioned this in the trades board too; send Yak to Florida (if they win the lottery). We need a potential franchise D more than another winger. They already have some key D pieces, so they might go for this. We can keep out pick for our #2 center.
Yeah i like this idea, however i feel like FLA may be more inclined to trade back 1-2 spots and take Mackinnon or another center, i feel they have a much larger need for a franchise center than winger, which we cannot really offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Best available forward in this draft IMO is Valeri Nichushkin. He's a C that plays the game like a PF. Big brutalizing force who engages physically, skates like the wind, has great vision, and draws comparisons to Evgeni Malkin with his style (way more than Grigorenko did).

To me he's probably the best candidate to become a great 2C on this team - potentially even a 1C over RNH.
Every source lists him as a winger, he does look quite good and is rising on many lists, however i have no interest in ****ing around with the russian factor in the top-6. At 10 i think he'd be a very good gamble.

Quote:
Drouin is the Hall while Mackinnon is the Seguin. Really can't go wrong with either, Mackinnon might have a better hockey sense or defensive game, but Drouin has thr X factor and personal drive that pushes him a step above. IMO
Weird my impression was the opposite...Mackinnon was the bull with the motor, and drouin was the cerebral player with crazy hand skills.

can anyone clear this up?

Old
04-24-2013, 10:46 AM
russ99

Quote:
Because I know virtually nothing about Monahon I am a little lost...Is he a physical player?
I wouldn't consider him overly physical, he's a 2-way center with high leadership qualities and work ethic. The lack of offensive growth from last season to this season is worrisome, though. Compare to Hall and RNH's last two junior years, and something's missing.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85013

Could be another Toews, or another Horcoff.

I'd like to see the Oilers pick more of a sure thing like Barkov or Nurse if they can stay in the 4-6 range.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:47 AM
dnicks17

CSS released their final rankings today.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...Rank&year=2013

Definitely some interesting things in there.

I'm a big fan of Zach Nastasiuk, but ranking him ahead of Horvat, Hartman, Rychel, Domi, Lazar, etc. is kind of out of left field.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I wouldn't consider him physical, he's a 2-way center with high leadership qualities and work ethic. The lack of offensive growth from last season to this season is worrisome, though. Compare to Hall and RNH's last two junior years, and something's missing.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85013

Could be another Toews, or another Horcoff.

I'd like to see the Oilers pick more of a sure thing like Barkov or Nurse if they can stay in the 4-6 range.
i dont think he will be at hall/rnh level...they were 1OAs, but the progression has been explained by a decimation of their roster, last year he was one of many good players, this year he is their only good player.

Closed Thread