HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Because I know virtually nothing about Monahon I am a little lost...Is he a physical player?
He's in the mold of Toews, Bergeron, Couturier.

A very solid all-around player, good on facecoffs and D.

Old
04-24-2013, 10:59 AM
BarDownMcBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
FREDERIK GAUTHIER RIMOUSKI QMJHL C 6' 4.5" 214

What is the scouting report on this kid? He is huge for his age. Just under 6'5" and is already 214 at 18 years old.

Edit: Currently ranked to go in the lower half of the 1st round. Would trading both our seconds to move up and grab him be worth it?
Big, but doesn't use his size apparently. I'd much rather trade up for Lazar or Horvat than him.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Da McBomb

I was watching some highlights of some of the prospects last night on Youtube. Gotta say I wasn't really impressed with Barkov. He looks like a big body but not very fast or shifty. MacKinnon was definitely more impressive to me, as well as Monahan. Drouin, on the other hand... WOW, what a skilled and amazing player. Too bad he won't be around when the Oilers pick although he probably doesn't match the Oilers needs as much as a MacKinnon or Monahan.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I was watching some highlights of some of the prospects last night on Youtube. Gotta say I wasn't really impressed with Barkov. He looks like a big body but not very fast or shifty. MacKinnon was definitely more impressive to me, as well as Monahan. Drouin, on the other hand... WOW, what a skilled and amazing player. Too bad he won't be around when the Oilers pick although he probably doesn't match the Oilers needs as much as a MacKinnon or Monahan.
which is something we really need to add?

Old
04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post

Nothing in there impressed you? I see a big guy with great hands that goes to the front of the net. Sure his skating isn't elite, but it doesn't look like a hindrance.

I do agree that MacKinnon(and Drouin) will go ahead of him. But there is almost no chance Monahan will, imo.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:36 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
i dont think he will be at hall/rnh level...they were 1OAs, but the progression has been explained by a decimation of their roster, last year he was one of many good players, this year he is their only good player.
nobody that i've heard has even *suggested* that monahan will be a "hall-level" player in the NHL.... i've heard comparisons to couturier but with a little more physicality, which seems about right

Old
04-24-2013, 11:40 AM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
CSS released their final rankings today.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...Rank&year=2013

Definitely some interesting things in there.

I'm a big fan of Zach Nastasiuk, but ranking him ahead of Horvat, Hartman, Rychel, Domi, Lazar, etc. is kind of out of left field.
Wow. Gauthier at 8? Mueller at 9?Theodore at 11? Nastasiuk at 13? Bigras at 14? Carrier at 18? Lodge at 21?

This list is definitely different then what I have.

No way Erne and Morrissey fall out of the first round.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Nothing in there impressed you? I see a big guy with great hands that goes to the front of the net. Sure his skating isn't elite, but it doesn't look like a hindrance.

I do agree that MacKinnon(and Drouin) will go ahead of him. But there is almost no chance Monahan will, imo.
Impressive, really has a nose for the net.

Does anyone know how Barkov's scouting report compares to Mikko Koivu at the same age? Just curious, because I would think it's safe to say Koivu is the gold standard for Finnish centers right now.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:43 AM
SterlingArcher

Barkov has only one real flaw and that is his skating. He is not a shifty guy because he uses his size and strength to get by or through you. He loves to be in front if the net and crash and bang down low. He is a big bodied player who plays a very good defensive game and is good on the dot winning 53% against men. Barkov is a true powerforward centre.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Wow. Gauthier at 8? Mueller at 9?Theodore at 11? Nastasiuk at 13? Bigras at 14? Carrier at 18? Lodge at 21?

This list is definitely different then what I have.

No way Erne and Morrissey fall out of the first round.
Zadorov at 22? Really?

Old
04-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

Does anyone know how Barkov's scouting report compares to Mikko Koivu at the same age? Just curious, because I would think it's safe to say Koivu is the gold standard for Finnish centers right now.
all we know for sure, is barkov tore apart koivus scoring at the same age.

i think its something like 40P/50G vs 1P/21G (only could stick for half a season in the top league)

Old
04-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Da McBomb

Quote:

For someone who is projected to go in the top 4, I wasn't very impressed with Barkov. I saw some flashes of good hands and being in the right spot at the right tme, but nothing that screamed elite talent to me. But then again, its only a highlight package so I can't put too much on value on that.

TBH I was more impressed with Valeri Nichushkin than I was with Barkov as well.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Koto

Quote:

i agree, big body that can drive to the net, maintain possession of the puck, hand skills to finish.

if hes good defensively too, i dont give a **** about his skating.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Topkatz

Quote:
Because I know virtually nothing about Monahon I am a little lost...Is he a physical player?
Sorry i should have worded that better. Hes a very solid all around player, just not spectacularly physical.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
Quote:
Here are the final 2013 NHL CS rankings.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9483

1.) Seth Jones
2.) Nathan Mckinnon
3.) Jonathon Drouin
4.) Darnell Nurse
5.) Sean Monahon

Looks like Oilers are going to need to be top 5 if they want a shot at Nurse or Monahon. Giving the choice who do you think they choose between the two?

Edit: Sorry just realized that this list did not include Euros
I don't get why they split them up like that. Put em all into one list, it's 2013

Old
04-24-2013, 11:58 AM
40oz

Monahan's such a goon, got a 10-gamer for this one.

I like this tweet
Quote:
@GareJoyceNHL
#NHLdraft Teams project Ds a little more freely on what they might be + rank forwards on what they r doing now. Gs, they're just guessing

Old
04-24-2013, 12:09 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

Everything I've read puts him miles head of Koivu at the same age.

Not to mention Barkov has the most impressive stats of any draft-eligible Finn in a long time (maybe ever?), is the youngest player to ever register a point in the SM-Liiga and is the second youngest player to ever score a goal in the WJC.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:31 PM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

Quote:

He looks pretty average in terms of skating, but then again if the guy goes to the net and has good hands skating isn't that big of a deal

Old
04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
PaperDesigner

If we're fourth, could we trade up to take Jones?

There seems to be a consensus that there are a definite top four that are fairly close together. However, the Oilers could probably use a foundational, perennial all-star type defenceman way more than a forward. If they're sitting at 4, and, say Florida has 1, do you think we could package the 4 and say Paajarvi to nab 1? Would it take more? Would the team be reluctant to give up the prestige of selecting first overall?

By the way, though I believe Gagner can be a very good centre on a contending team, if they can't get Jones, I hope the guy they end up with is Barkob. Scoring in his draft year in a pro league is a huge positive sign for me. Would be all right with moving Gagner to the wing eventually when Barkov is ready for a full time second line centre gig.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Our pick and Eberle to Florida for their pick and Matthias

Last edited by Mr Forever: 04-24-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old
04-24-2013, 12:44 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Who is this Barkob?

Old
04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDesigner View Post
There seems to be a consensus that there are a definite top four that are fairly close together. However, the Oilers could probably use a foundational, perennial all-star type defenceman way more than a forward. If they're sitting at 4, and, say Florida has 1, do you think we could package the 4 and say Paajarvi to nab 1? Would it take more? Would the team be reluctant to give up the prestige of selecting first overall?

By the way, though I believe Gagner can be a very good centre on a contending team, if they can't get Jones, I hope the guy they end up with is Barkob. Scoring in his draft year in a pro league is a huge positive sign for me. Would be all right with moving Gagner to the wing eventually when Barkov is ready for a full time second line centre gig.
I wouldn't want to package proven assets such as Gagner and/or Paajarvi to draft a young defenseman who is likely at least a couple of years away from making an impact in the league. I would rather trade Paajarvi and/or Gagner for a proven defenseman who can help us out right now.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Bold Strategy Cotton

Barkob

Old
04-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Koto

i think the gap is too large, and FLA would put a ton of value on only moving down one spot to get mackinnon.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Frisbee97

Send a message via AIM to Frisbee97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Our pick and Eberle to Florida for their pick and Matthias
Sign me up would probably do that with just the pick comin back

Closed Thread