HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 12:50 PM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
One just simply doesn't trade away a Seth Jones. Having said that, Florida would be looking at MacKinnon if they dont draft jones and he won't be available at 4.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
I don't know, I think about it from the reverse, would you want to trade down to 4? I know I wouldn't personally. I think the Oilers would be hard pressed to trade up. Jones is pretty beastly.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Every year the Central Scouting lists are the same... I really don't think they are intended to be accurate rankings... rather just a rough indicator of the top prospects available.

The Bob McKenzie list is the closest to gospel we'll get and even then it's usually off on several prospects.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:13 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDesigner View Post
There seems to be a consensus that there are a definite top four that are fairly close together. However, the Oilers could probably use a foundational, perennial all-star type defenceman way more than a forward. If they're sitting at 4, and, say Florida has 1, do you think we could package the 4 and say Paajarvi to nab 1? Would it take more? Would the team be reluctant to give up the prestige of selecting first overall?

By the way, though I believe Gagner can be a very good centre on a contending team, if they can't get Jones, I hope the guy they end up with is Barkob. Scoring in his draft year in a pro league is a huge positive sign for me. Would be all right with moving Gagner to the wing eventually when Barkov is ready for a full time second line centre gig.

I think it would take a little more.
Depends entirely on who gets the pick and how highly they value Jones and the best player after the top 3, of course...but contrary to popular opinion on these boards, it doesn't have to be our pick PLUS one of our best 5, or even 10 assets. 4th overall + Paajarvi + Harti + Marincin + 1st in 2014 + both 2nd's this year = big overpayment to move up 3 spots. But at least we don't give up core guys, as some folks feel is absolutely necessary to land a top asset.

Toronto, for example...we all know they valued Rielly at #1 overall. If situations were reversed, you wouldn't think it'd have taken all that much to get them to drop a few spots..

Old
04-24-2013, 01:29 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

In regards to Monahan... many are saying his offense plateaued... he scored 1.34 pts per game this year and his team scored 3.06 goals per game. Last season he scored 1.26 pts per game and the team scored 3.94 goals per game.

So this season he was in on 43.7% of the offense each game... last season he was in on 32% of the offense each game.

Looks like a pretty big improvement to me.

Last season he was 3rd on the team in scoring behind Toffoli and Prince and this year he was 1st... 27 pts clear of anyone else on the team.

Obviously the team got worse and he maintained and even improved his production.

I think the people pointing to a decrease in his offensive production are out to lunch.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:32 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
I think it would take a little more.
Depends entirely on who gets the pick and how highly they value Jones and the best player after the top 3, of course...but contrary to popular opinion on these boards, it doesn't have to be our pick PLUS one of our best 5, or even 10 assets. 4th overall + Paajarvi + Harti + Marincin + 1st in 2014 + both 2nd's this year = big overpayment to move up 3 spots. But at least we don't give up core guys, as some folks feel is absolutely necessary to land a top asset.

Toronto, for example...we all know they valued Rielly at #1 overall. If situations were reversed, you wouldn't think it'd have taken all that much to get them to drop a few spots..

"Big over-payment" doesn't even begin to tell that story... That would be insane.

EDIT: or did I misunderstand the point of your post?

Old
04-24-2013, 01:33 PM
doubledown99

Did anybody listent to Stauffer today at 12:20ish?

I caught a bit of it.......did he say the Oilers are selecting a center no matter what? I came in when he said "If they win the lottery all bets are off. They could look to trade down for additional assets. Ralph Krueger likes the org depth on defense......(something about Blackhawks forward depth).....(something about Klefbom competing for top 6 on defense next year)........I look for the Oilers to draft a center.......Mackinnon is the 6 foot and RH center (then listed his stats)......Barkov and Monahan.....I think Monahan would be their for the Oilers.....etc"

Can someone confirm? I heard the last part but missed right before he said "all bets are off"

Old
04-24-2013, 01:36 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbee97 View Post
Sign me up would probably do that with just the pick comin back
You would trade Eberle + #4-#7 pick for the #1 pick? Seriously?
Man, Eberle is so under appreciated around here all of a sudden.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbee97 View Post
Sign me up would probably do that with just the pick comin back
Just a silly thing to say. The difference between Barkov and Jones is Eberle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Because we talk about hockey every day, HF epitomizes the mentality of "what have you done for me lately". Then, as he gets added to a bunch of proposals, and opposing fans take note, they start to think that since he's "available" his trade value is going down.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
It's a "what have you done for me lately" society we live in. Ebs comes back to form next year and people will go back to saying he's untouchable.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:44 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Because we talk about hockey every day, HF epitomizes the mentality of "what have you done for me lately". Then, as he gets added to a bunch of proposals, and opposing fans take note, they start to think that since he's "available" his trade value is going down.
This post is amazing. Wish more people realized this.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Too bad RNH will be injured or the Oilers could throw him in as well.

Let's make even more holes in Kreuger's Swiss cheese lineup and then spend another 5 years drafting top 5 to fill them again someday.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
In regards to Monahan... many are saying his offense plateaued... he scored 1.34 pts per game this year and his team scored 3.06 goals per game. Last season he scored 1.26 pts per game and the team scored 3.94 goals per game.

So this season he was in on 43.7% of the offense each game... last season he was in on 32% of the offense each game.

Looks like a pretty big improvement to me.

Last season he was 3rd on the team in scoring behind Toffoli and Prince and this year he was 1st... 27 pts clear of anyone else on the team.

Obviously the team got worse and he maintained and even improved his production.

I think the people pointing to a decrease in his offensive production are out to lunch.
See Sean Couturier:

09-10: 96 points in 68 games (1.41) with the team scoring 4.51 goals per game. That's 31.3%.
10-11: 96 points in 58 games (1.66) with the team scoring 3.69 goals per game. That's 45.0%.

He fell to 8th and was ranked 5th by TSN and 4th by ISS.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:53 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:

Incredible. Should be your sig.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:54 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post

I caught a bit of it.......did he say the Oilers are selecting a center no matter what? I came in when he said "If they win the lottery all bets are off. They could look to trade down for additional assets. Ralph Krueger likes the org depth on defense......(something about Blackhawks forward depth).....(something about Klefbom competing for top 6 on defense next year)........I look for the Oilers to draft a center.......Mackinnon is the 6 foot and RH center (then listed his stats)......Barkov and Monahan.....I think Monahan would be their for the Oilers.....etc"

Can someone confirm? I heard the last part but missed right before he said "all bets are off"
Who cares what Krueger likes? But I can easily see Oilers drafting a center. Ideally Barkov or MacKinnon if they drop to us, Monahan or Lindholm otherwise.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:01 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post

"Big over-payment" doesn't even begin to tell that story... That would be insane.

EDIT: or did I misunderstand the point of your post?
Haha. Yeah I certainly don't think it's anywhere near fair value- was just trying to provide an inarguable example of how you can get a top asset without giving up your best roster players. Trying to preempt those folks that think Hall/RNH/Ebs/Yak/Schultz HAVE to be in the conversation for a team to be interested.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:05 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:

Old
04-24-2013, 02:07 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

Spot on. The "what have you done for me lately" mentality seems especially prevalent this season perhaps due to fans becoming impatient with too many smallish, skilled players and Eberle being this seasons' scapegoat. It's kind of sad how fast some have turned on Eberle.
I took one look at the trade board, saw that there were offers of Bernier and junk coming from L.A. for Eberle and had to quickly turn away for the sake of my sanity.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post

Pretty much.. He started the showing comparing the forward prospects of the Oilers and Hawks and said he counts about 7 or 8 forward prospects better then anybody the Oilers have in their system.

He then said that he fully expects the Oilers to take a C unless we can win the lottery and then all bets are off. Bob was making it seem like it would be more likely that we would trade the pick if we won the lottery for immediate help because the organization expects Klefbom to be on the team next year and to have a similar impact that Brodin has been having this year. He didnt say too much on the Centers but did not make any mention of Lindholm.

I think that was the jist of it, but I could be missing something. I would be choked if we didnt pick Seth Jones.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:23 PM
NeutralZone

How would people compare Drouin to Eberle? Seem to be similar sized and have a lot of the same strengths.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:37 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

If the oilers win the lottery and don't pick Jones... line MacT, Lowe and Howson up and give them all an NFL-calibre place kick to the nutsacks.

They've kept the pick and chosen well at #1 in the past though so I have to believe they wouldn't be stupid and screw it up this year... even with the "bold" proclamation being made by MacT.

They did scare the hell out of me last year with them apparently wanting to pick Murray over Yak though so I'd always be leery until the pick was made.

Cart before the horse though... they'll likely pick somewhere in the 5-7 range and one of Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan should still be available... basically a no-brainer to choose one of them... hard to screw that up.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
If the oilers win the lottery and don't pick Jones... line MacT, Lowe and Howson up and give them all an NFL-calibre place kick to the nutsacks.

They've kept the pick and chosen well at #1 in the past though so I have to believe they wouldn't be stupid and screw it up this year... even with the "bold" proclamation being made by MacT.

They did scare the hell out of me last year with them apparently wanting to pick Murray over Yak though so I'd always be leery until the pick was made.

Cart before the horse though... they'll likely pick somewhere in the 5-7 range and one of Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan should still be available... basically a no-brainer to choose one of them... hard to screw that up.
Honestly in this scenario I wouldn't go nuts if they took MacKinnon and then turned around and dealt Gagner for a solid NHL seasoned d-man who was in their 20s.

That said, I think they would make the simple choice there and just take Jones.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:51 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
How would people compare Drouin to Eberle? Seem to be similar sized and have a lot of the same strengths.
Well Drouin has been getting comparisons to Kane and even a mini-Crosby. He'd be in the conversation for #1 this year if it weren't for Jones... so I'd say his ceiling is at least a level above where Eberle could be expected to get to.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:11 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Honestly in this scenario I wouldn't go nuts if they took MacKinnon and then turned around and dealt Gagner for a solid NHL seasoned d-man who was in their 20s.

That said, I think they would make the simple choice there and just take Jones.
As much as I like MacKinnon, and think he and RNH would eventually be the best 1-2 C punch in the west, a big 50p+ 25-30 min a night D man is just too rare to pass up. There are generally only ever a few in the league at a time, and the teams with them tend to be good ones.

I think we'd have to go with Jones if we win the lottery.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:31 PM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 352
Quote:
As much as I like MacKinnon, and think he and RNH would eventually be the best 1-2 C punch in the west, a big 50p+ 25-30 min a night D man is just too rare to pass up. There are generally only ever a few in the league at a time, and the teams with them tend to be good ones.

I think we'd have to go with Jones if we win the lottery.
100 % agree if we win lottery DO NOT TRADE PICK, and draft jones, a core of RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yak, Shultz, Jones and Klefbom would be a unreal young core to build around, I dont know what the rush is for this team I would hate to risk years of contending in the future just to speed up rebuild by a year or two.

Closed Thread