HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 01:26 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
If EDM won the lottery and you made the call, what would you do? Trade down within the top 3 or 4? Pick at 1? Trade the pick away? And if you'd pick at 1, who would you take? At 3 or 4?
Walk up to the microphone.... "Jones"... drop the micropohone.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
I almost hope we don't win the lottery to be honest, lol, the amount of grief we'd hear about it would be never ending. Last year was pretty bad as is.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:28 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
If EDM won the lottery and you made the call, what would you do? Trade down within the top 3 or 4? Pick at 1? Trade the pick away? And if you'd pick at 1, who would you take? At 3 or 4?
I would hope that we'd keep the pick. Jones looks like a beast of a d-man. Great at everything, big and strong. I know the Pronger comparison gets thrown around a lot, but he's got as good a chance as any of reaching that level.

Jones easily at 1. Whoever is there between MacKinnon or Drouin at 3, Barkov at 4. Actually at 3, I would see what 2 wanted for the MacKinnon pick(or to pass on him) and do that if it was reasonable. If it wasn't, I'd check with 4 and see what they'd give for Drouin, and do that if it was interesting enough. If it wasn't then I'd take Drouin and live with the best wingers in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I almost hope we don't win the lottery to be honest, lol, the amount of grief we'd hear about it would be never ending. Last year was pretty bad as is.
I know. As funny as it would be, we'd probably end up forum banning a good percentage of HF from the Oilers board just to slow down the trolling.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Damn it, I knew we shouldn't have fired him yet!

Depends on what other teams are offering. I'd be tempted to see if I could parlay #1 overall + other pieces in a three way deal to get 2 picks in the Top 8. Then try and get some combination of Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm + Nurse. Yeah, that's pretty much fantasy talk, but that would be ideal.

At #1 - Jones.

At 3 or 4 - depends on who's been taken. I'd go for Barkov or Lindholm most likely.
Jones just so we could get the odd visit from Popeye. You know Gene would love that. He'd go crazy with the puns. Probably bring out props like plates of spinach too.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:29 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I'm starting to think Edmonton might end up with MacKinnon. Never thought that was possible.
Possible but highly unlikely. Tampa is probably the only team that will win a game. Colorado would have to beat both Phoenix and Minnesota. Nashville faces Detroit and Columbus, two good teams.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I would hope that we'd keep the pick. Jones looks like a beast of a d-man. Great at everything, big and strong. I know the Pronger comparison gets thrown around a lot, but he's got as good a chance as any of reaching that level.

Jones easily at 1. Whoever is there between MacKinnon or Drouin at 3, Barkov at 4. Actually at 3, I would see what 2 wanted for the MacKinnon pick(or to pass on him) and do that if it was reasonable. If it wasn't, I'd check with 4 and see what they'd give for Drouin, and do that if it was interesting enough. If it wasn't then I'd take Drouin and live with the best wingers in the league
I could live with having the best wingers in the league. It's them the smallest/softest group (along with RNH and Gagner) too that disturbs me.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Soundwave

I think we will beat Vancouver because they'll probably be icing their AHL squad.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:35 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
We definitely live in different worlds.

I would roll around and drink in that sweet, sweet tormented anguish from all the opposing fanbases like a fat kid in a bathtub filled with 29 flavours of excruciatingly delicious ice-cream.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Walk up to the microphone.... "Jones"... drop the micropohone.
Yes!

If Burke was GM, this would be a real possibility.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
04-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Asher

Quote:

I would roll around and drink in that sweet, sweet tormented anguish from all the opposing fanbases like a fat kid in a bathtub filled with 30 flavours of excruciatingly delicious ice-cream.
Count me in. I could care less about the silly rantings of the fans who post on the main board.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:42 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I could live with having the best wingers in the league. It's them the smallest/softest group (along with RNH and Gagner) too that disturbs me.
Gagner would obviously have to go in that situation. We shouldn't have too much difficulty finding a FA C that would like to play between any of our top 4 wingers.

But I do agree, it isn't ideal. That is why I'd try to get the MacKinnon or Barkov pick first. I might even just take Barkov at 3 if push came to shove. Tough call on that

Quote:
I think we will beat Vancouver because they'll probably be icing their AHL squad.
We are the kings of tank. If that game is the difference between us picking 3/4 and 5/6, I'd expect Yakupov, Hall, Eberle and Schultz to all get the flu.

Quote:

I would roll around and drink in that sweet, sweet tormented anguish from all the opposing fanbases like a fat kid in a bathtub filled with 30 flavours of excruciatingly delicious ice-cream.
You don't have to deal with the fallout.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
They could be icing their ECHL squad.

The oilers will still lose.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Soundwave

I'd be happy to have Jones, don't get me wrong. I actually used to watch his dad play for the Raptors, lol, when their games were on CTV.

That said, while it would certainly fill a long term hole for the franchise, I'm not really sure guys like Seth Jones, Adam Larsson, Viktor Hedman, Erik Johnson, actually mean a whole lot in terms of the win/loss column for their first 2-3 years.

Jones may be the exception to the rule though.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Shizuka

I think we're all hoping a bit too much (don't get me wrong -- it was sweet to see all the bellyaching and griping from the rest of the teams' fans, minus the Columbus guys who I really felt for; to get it one last time? Hahaha). The odds of winning the lottery are still very remote even at 5.

At 5 it remains intriguing though, as then we are possibly reaching into a spot for one of the top Fs not named Monahan or Lindholm. It all depends on how things fall, but wow... imagine if the choice was between those two and Mackinnon, possibly? Yikes.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:09 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
You don't have to deal with the fallout.
Yes I realize that... and I feel for the mods if and when that happens... but I still would feel immense joy if it actually were to happen.

It's all I've got left as an Oilers fan.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:13 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Yes I realize that... and I feel for the mods if and when that happens... but I still would feel immense joy if it actually were to happen.

It's all I've got left as an Oilers fan.
Fair enough. No draft party this year though please. Lets just make the pick and get off the stage as quietly as possible.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:27 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Quote:

I would roll around and drink in that sweet, sweet tormented anguish from all the opposing fanbases like a fat kid in a bathtub filled with 29 flavours of excruciatingly delicious ice-cream.
That sounds lovely. Can't wait to win the lottery.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:29 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Quote:
Fair enough. No draft party this year though please. Lets just make the pick and get off the stage as quietly as possible.
What is a draft party? That sounds like a good idea. Maybe we should host one at main boards.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:55 AM
Topkatz

Quote:
I'd be happy to have Jones, don't get me wrong. I actually used to watch his dad play for the Raptors, lol, when their games were on CTV.

That said, while it would certainly fill a long term hole for the franchise, I'm not really sure guys like Seth Jones, Adam Larsson, Viktor Hedman, Erik Johnson, actually mean a whole lot in terms of the win/loss column for their first 2-3 years.

Jones may be the exception to the rule though.
Yeah but guys like Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov haven't made much difference to our win loss column yet either! 18 year old kids aren't likely to have a massive effect on a team with a losing problem and finishes in a lottery spot, whether they be forwards or defencemen. That's why I think we should draft a defenceman then trade some of our finesse skill for powerful, more experienced skill.

In saying that though, if there is a can't miss center prospect with size like Barkov possibly who can form an awesome 1-2 punch down the middle for years to come on the board and we take him that would be great too. I just think that we should be thinking of a defenceman first while keeping an open mind. I guess i'm just not that convinced that Sean Monahan will be anything more than a great 2nd liner but I will be honest and say that I haven't seen him play more than most. His game, while very very solid, doesn't immediately strike me as top 5 talent in this draft considering some of the other prospects. I could be and hope I am wrong though! He's still a great player and I would not be upset at all if we took him as he does fulfill a need.

And if I draft 1st I take Jones, no questions. Drouin could be the second coming of Patrick Kane but I personally don't think that is what we need to be successful with our current team.

Last edited by Topkatz: 04-25-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old
04-25-2013, 03:47 AM
Bergeron47

How are we meant to beat Vancouver's AHL squad if we can't beat Calgarys?

Old
04-25-2013, 03:48 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Absolutely pick Jones if you can. He probably won't be an impact player for 2-3 years though, although on our team he'll probably be on the 1st pairing as a rookie, might even outplay all our other dmen considering they mostly suck. So MacT can't just assume the defense is fine and leave it at that, he needs to try to bring in more guys now either way.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

It will be interesting to see what Colorado does with the second overall pick. They are pretty loaded at center with Duchene, O'Reilly and Stastny so I think they would be better suited to pick Drouin. A combo of Drouin and Duchene would be unreal

Old
04-25-2013, 09:13 AM
dem

If we pick 3rd.. there is a legit chance we pick up MacKinnon.

That would be something...

At this point.. whats 2 more games.

Tank tank tank!

Old
04-25-2013, 09:26 AM
shogun99

Say Jones and Mackinnon are gone and we have 3rd pick. BPA is Drouin, who might be the best offensive player in the draft but we could use Barkov or Monahan more. Would you rather draft BPA or for need? How about offering Florida 3rd overall for Gudbranson?

Old
04-25-2013, 09:36 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Possible but highly unlikely. Tampa is probably the only team that will win a game. Colorado would have to beat both Phoenix and Minnesota. Nashville faces Detroit and Columbus, two good teams.
It's still very possible. Nashville gets 1 pt and TB gets 1 pt (they play Florida the last game), that's it.
Florida picks Jones or Drouin, Colorado picks Drouin or Jones then #herecometheoilers to draft MacKinnon. Very possible outcome.
I think that Barkov or Monahan would be better fits but there's no doubt that MacKinnon has to be the pick if he's still around at 3.

Also, if/when the Oilers win the lottery, you take Jones and walk away with a MacT troll face. There shouldn't be any question about what to do there.

Closed Thread