HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 09:38 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think we will beat Vancouver because they'll probably be icing their AHL squad.
And the Oilers will be icing a squad that plays at an ECHL level so no problem there.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
It's still very possible. Nashville gets 1 pt and TB gets 1 pt (they play Florida the last game), that's it.
Florida picks Jones or Drouin, Colorado picks Drouin or Jones then #herecometheoilers to draft MacKinnon. Very possible outcome.
I think that Barkov or Monahan would be better fits but there's no doubt that MacKinnon has to be the pick if he's still around at 3.

Also, if/when the Oilers win the lottery, you take Jones and walk away with a MacT troll face. There shouldn't be any question about what to do there.
Admittedly I don't know what the draft strategy of each team is like but my gut feeling is FLA takes MacK and COL takes Jones.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:48 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Admittedly I don't know what the draft strategy of each team is like but my gut feeling is FLA takes MacK and COL takes Jones.
I think that Colorado takes Jones or Drouin for sure, Jones assuredly if MacKinnon is taken first IMO.
It's all about Florida, if they take Jones or Drouin (quite possible IMO), MacKinnon will drop to 3 i would think.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Asher

Quote:
I think that Colorado takes Jones or Drouin for sure, Jones assuredly if MacKinnon is taken first IMO.
It's all about Florida, if they take Jones or Drouin (quite possible IMO), MacKinnon will drop to 3 i would think.
Again, I'm no expert, but I get the feeling Drouin might drop a couple of spots. Big players with skill are what's in vogue these days. I think Drouin goes 3rd, maybe lower. In fact, if not for Nichushkin being signed to play in Russia another 2 years I think even he would go ahead of Drouin.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Hopkins to Hall

Here's the odds after last night for where we'll pick based on sportclubstats.com and multipying through the lottery odds for each position.

1st overall pick = 9.1%
2nd = 1.6%
3rd = 17%
4th = 18%
5th = 19%
6th = 19%
7th = 16%

Tampa looked good last night and the way the Oilers are mailing it in I'd think that
3rd overall spot may be much higher then the pure stats are suggesting.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:04 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Say Jones and Mackinnon are gone and we have 3rd pick. BPA is Drouin, who might be the best offensive player in the draft but we could use Barkov or Monahan more. Would you rather draft BPA or for need? How about offering Florida 3rd overall for Gudbranson?
If it were me, I would draft for BPA even at one, and if I thought that was Drouin, I'd take him there.*edit* I would consider trading down a spot or two as well, if I thought the BPA was someone other than Jones and the team trading up was doing so to get Jones.*edit*

Pass on Gudbranson, I don't think he's worth moving EDM's 1st.

Last edited by speeds: 04-25-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old
04-25-2013, 10:09 AM
McJadeddog

after last night loss to chicago, we are now officially worse than we were last year... on pace for a 73 point season over 82 games, and we got 74 points last year

Old
04-25-2013, 10:19 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
after last night loss to chicago, we are now officially worse than we were last year... on pace for a 73 point season over 82 games, and we got 74 points last year
We've also been healthier this year than in the past few. It is completely inexcusable that we're as bad as we are.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
If EDM won the lottery and you made the call, what would you do? Trade down within the top 3 or 4? Pick at 1? Trade the pick away? And if you'd pick at 1, who would you take? At 3 or 4?
Take Jones no question.

At 3? If Mackinnon is up, him. If Drouin is up, i'd trade down to 4/5.

At 4/5 I'm looking for Barkov or Monohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Happily draft Jones unless a team like Philly offered us Schenn and their pick or something
I don't even think that's enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'd consider Seth Jones to Philly for their pick (lets say no.7/8) + Couturier.

You could then maybe get Couturier + Nichuskin/Zadarov/etc.

But honestly I'd probably just draft Jones and move on.
Still not enough for me.

If Philly wants him so bad I'd make it

1st+Gagner for 1st+Schenn+Couturier

Jones+Gagner for Nurse+Schenn+Couturier.

some actual center depth and forward size/toughness with the ability to play.

Quote:
It's still very possible. Nashville gets 1 pt and TB gets 1 pt (they play Florida the last game), that's it.
Florida picks Jones or Drouin, Colorado picks Drouin or Jones then #herecometheoilers to draft MacKinnon. Very possible outcome.
I think that Barkov or Monahan would be better fits but there's no doubt that MacKinnon has to be the pick if he's still around at 3.

Also, if/when the Oilers win the lottery, you take Jones and walk away with a MacT troll face. There shouldn't be any question about what to do there.

I also get this sense.

Can anyone articulate why Mackinnon is considered a step ahead of Barkov/Lindholm/Monohan?

His stats are well short of drouin...

Why does he receive so much hype?

Old
04-25-2013, 10:31 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
the more i think about it i think if we pick in the 4-7 range we should take Nichushkin. he will play in russia for 2 more years then will most likely come over. the upside to this is he is a fantastic hockey player, he will not be rushed into the lineup, not being able to rush him forces Mac T to make some changes right now and when he does come over in 2015 we will have a budding superstar type player, fully matured on a 3 year ELC when all our other top picks will be in their 2nd contract.

6'4 200lb C who is an elite talent and the only reason he isnt being considered as the top pick is the contract he has in russia.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:33 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Take Jones no question.

At 3? If Mackinnon is up, him. If Drouin is up, i'd trade down to 4/5.

At 4/5 I'm looking for Barkov or Monohan

I don't even think that's enough.

Still not enough for me.

If Philly wants him so bad I'd make it

1st+Gagner for 1st+Schenn+Couturier

Jones+Gagner for Nurse+Schenn+Couturier.

some actual center depth and forward size/toughness with the ability to play.

I also get this sense.

Can anyone articulate why Mackinnon is considered a step ahead of Barkov/Lindholm/Monohan?

His stats are well short of drouin...

Why does he receive so much hype?
because he plays like taylor hall, with speed, aggression. he drives the play just like hall, he has terrific balance and he has excellent hands (better than Hall). he has taylor hall speed with phil kessel hands.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:37 AM
dem

Nathan MacKinnon is the exact type of center we need.

Big shmig...
This guy has desire. A winners mentality.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the more i think about it i think if we pick in the 4-7 range we should take Nichushkin. he will play in russia for 2 more years then will most likely come over. the upside to this is he is a fantastic hockey player, he will not be rushed into the lineup, not being able to rush him forces Mac T to make some changes right now and when he does come over in 2015 we will have a budding superstar type player, fully matured on a 3 year ELC when all our other top picks will be in their 2nd contract.

6'4 200lb C who is an elite talent and the only reason he isnt being considered as the top pick is the contract he has in russia.
too risky for my taste, i agree, he may be a big steal in this draft, but you just don't know when youll get him, nothing is certain about 2 years and then coming over.

i'd consider him at 10+, but i don't want to gamble on it with barkov/monohan and a couple others on the table.

just look at kuzynetzov, we still have no idea if/when hes coming over.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:45 AM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I wonder if Florida would do something like this:

Mathias + Gudbranson/Kulikov for Edm 1st + Paajarvi

Old
04-25-2013, 10:47 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Except he's a winger, not a C.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I wonder if Florida would do something like this:

Mathias + Gudbranson/Kulikov for Edm 1st + Paajarvi
dont know why were adding paajarvi.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:52 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:

he's a LW/RW though, not a C... good points otherwise though, especially the ELC part

Old
04-25-2013, 10:54 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
because he plays like taylor hall, with speed, aggression. he drives the play just like hall, he has terrific balance and he has excellent hands (better than Hall). he has taylor hall speed with phil kessel hands.
i'm a big fan of mackinnon, and would take him over barkov even... mackinnon is easily the best C available this year... but i wouldn't say his offence is really higher than hall's at all ... their offensive abilities seem very similar in fact

Old
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Canada vs. Czech u18 game starting on TSN in a couple minutes.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
dont know why were adding paajarvi.
Because our first isn't worth both Gudbranson/Kulikov and Mathias in my opinion.
It makes sense for both teams though. We get a big NHL ready center and a good defenseman and they get another top prospect to rebuild with and help bring more fans to the games.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Maybe this has been brought up already, so please forgive me if it has.

Do you all think that the Oilers might pick up a goalie in the draft? Maybe not necessarily with their top pick, but maybe in say the second, third or fourth round?

In the few Oilers games that I've had a chance to watch, I thought Dubnyk was good, but not sure if he has the potential be the guy that can backstop the Oilers to another cup run. Could he establish himself in that capacity in say in the next season or two?

And let's say (for the sake of argument) that the Oilers are eyeing a goalie. Which one(s) will the team most likely to go after?

Old
04-25-2013, 11:07 AM
BarDownMcBobo

vCash: 512
@SlavaMalamud: Traktor Chelyabinsk's hockey director says Valeri Nichushkin's agent wants him to play in North America next season #SomeDraftOtherThanNFL

If true, how much does that change his stock?

Old
04-25-2013, 11:07 AM
dyzfunctioned

We're sitting at 5th right now. We're not passing Calgary or Carolina at this point which means I don't think we'll be picking any lower than we're sitting at now.

Nashville could easily surpass us; Tampa is only 1 point back and have St. Louis trying to maintain the Art Ross and Stamkos gunning for the Richard. Could see them passing us.

IMO, it's almost guaranteed at this point that we pick between 3 and 5. I really hope one of Nashville or Tampa passes us as we would be guaranteed one of Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon, or Barkov, all who are a tier above Lindholm/Monahan/Nurse IMO.

Florida will take Jones. Hoping Colorado opts for Drouin as that leaves MacKinnon/Barkov on the board.

I hate seeing the team do so poorly but can't pretend I'm not excited at the idea of us landing one of MacKinnon or Barkov.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:08 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Maybe this has been brought up already, so please forgive me if it has.

Do you all think that the Oilers might pick up a goalie in the draft? Maybe not necessarily with their top pick, but maybe in say the second, third or fourth round?

In the few Oilers games that I've had a chance to watch, I thought Dubnyk was good, but not sure if he has the potential be the guy that can backstop the Oilers to another cup run. Could he establish himself in that capacity in say in the next season or two?

And let's say (for the sake of argument) that the Oilers are eyeing a goalie. Which one(s) will the team most likely to go after?
I hope so, probably with a second rounder, maybe our own Tristan Jarry.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:08 AM
dem

With their affinity for Oil Kings, I'm sure Tristan Jarry is on their radar.

Closed Thread