HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think we will beat Vancouver because they'll probably be icing their AHL squad.
We couldn't beat Calgary's AHL squad. This team is going to go out with two more losses.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
dyzfunctioned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Maybe this has been brought up already, so please forgive me if it has.

Do you all think that the Oilers might pick up a goalie in the draft? Maybe not necessarily with their top pick, but maybe in say the second, third or fourth round?

In the few Oilers games that I've had a chance to watch, I thought Dubnyk was good, but not sure if he has the potential be the guy that can backstop the Oilers to another cup run. Could he establish himself in that capacity in say in the next season or two?

And let's say (for the sake of argument) that the Oilers are eyeing a goalie. Which one(s) will the team most likely to go after?
I'd love to see Oil pick up Jarry but considering we traded our 3rd and 4th and I'd rather target someone else with our 2nd, I don't see it happening as I think he'll go somewhere in the 2nd, maybe early 3rd.

I'd love to see us grab Shea Theodore with our second - kid is a stud; however, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up picked in the 1st.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
@SlavaMalamud: Traktor Chelyabinsk's hockey director says Valeri Nichushkin's agent wants him to play in North America next season #SomeDraftOtherThanNFL

If true, how much does that change his stock?
If he plays in North America next season then I would imagine his stock would go through the roof. Him and Yak on a line would be unreal...

Old
04-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:

Do you all think that the Oilers might pick up a goalie in the draft? Maybe not necessarily with their top pick, but maybe in say the second, third or fourth round?

In the few Oilers games that I've had a chance to watch, I thought Dubnyk was good, but not sure if he has the potential be the guy that can backstop the Oilers to another cup run. Could he establish himself in that capacity in say in the next season or two?

And let's say (for the sake of argument) that the Oilers are eyeing a goalie. Which one(s) will the team most likely to go after?

I think they may grab one or two, they need to stock up on tending prospect, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I hope so, probably with a second rounder, maybe our own Tristan Jarry.
I'm with you, getting Eric Comrie in the 2nd round would be good with me, maybe another guy in one of the later rounds.

However, looking over Central Scouting's top Euro Goalies, I can't see any of them being picked, they're nearly all small guys.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:14 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
@SlavaMalamud: Traktor Chelyabinsk's hockey director says Valeri Nichushkin's agent wants him to play in North America next season #SomeDraftOtherThanNFL

If true, how much does that change his stock?
Just trying to get his player selected higher in the draft to pad his bottom line. He's signed for 2 more year in the KHL and the NHL has to honour KHL contracts.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Koto

Quote:

Well i don't know any specific ones, but it would be typical (and prudent) for the oilers, like all teams, to take one later in the draft.

Keep the pipeline stocked, hope one pans out every 6 years. Good way to approach it IMO, i hate using top 60 picks on goalies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
We're sitting at 5th right now. We're not passing Calgary or Carolina at this point which means I don't think we'll be picking any lower than we're sitting at now.

Nashville could easily surpass us; Tampa is only 1 point back and have St. Louis trying to maintain the Art Ross and Stamkos gunning for the Richard. Could see them passing us.

IMO, it's almost guaranteed at this point that we pick between 3 and 5. I really hope one of Nashville or Tampa passes us as we would be guaranteed one of Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon, or Barkov, all who are a tier above Lindholm/Monahan/Nurse IMO.

Florida will take Jones. Hoping Colorado opts for Drouin as that leaves MacKinnon/Barkov on the board.

I hate seeing the team do so poorly but can't pretend I'm not excited at the idea of us landing one of MacKinnon or Barkov.
me too.

Although we still have to consider the lottery.

Could be really rough IMO if we end up 3rd and Drouin is the guy that's left....ugh. cant pass on him, but man, DO NOT WANT.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Oilers have 2 very losable games against the Wild and Canucks.
I see Tampa beating the Panthers.
Nashville, however, has games on the road against Detroit and Columbus.

I'd expect 3rd or 4th overall.

Florida - Jones
Colorado - Drouin (Have enough centres)

So is it Barkov or Mackinnon for the Oilers?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:22 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Well i don't know any specific ones, but it would be typical (and prudent) for the oilers, like all teams, to take one later in the draft.

Keep the pipeline stocked, hope one pans out every 6 years. Good way to approach it IMO, i hate using top 60 picks on goalies.

me too.

Although we still have to consider the lottery.

Could be really rough IMO if we end up 3rd and Drouin is the guy that's left....ugh. cant pass on him, but man, DO NOT WANT.

Its not like our lw depth is all that amazing. Might as well take the best player. If we are looking for a C or D in this draft to turn our team around next year.. we are very misguided. 18 yr old kids don't turn team around. If anyone should know that.. its us.

I wouldn't hesitate to take Drouin and leave him in the Q for another season.
We already have too many players learning on the job.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:27 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post

Florida - Jones

Mackinnon
Mackinnon

And then you pick Mackinnon for good measure.

To me, at least, Mackinnon is right up there with Jones as the best player in this draft. But I'm not a professional scout, so...

Old
04-25-2013, 12:29 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Nathan MacKinnon is the exact type of center we need.

Big shmig...
This guy has desire. A winners mentality.
Shorter than RNH, lighter than Gagner. That's exactly the C we need huh?

Barkov - 6'3.5, 205lb - outscoring 21-year old Mikko Koivu in the FNL as a 17yr old. Best 2-way center in the top-8 and said to be the player most likely to play C in the NHL

We don't need that size, or that 2-way ability, or that "pure C" type of breed at all....

Old
04-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Barkov - 6'3.5, 205lb - outscoring 21-year old Mikko Koivu in the FNL as a 17yr old. Best 2-way center in the top-8 and said to be the player most likely to play C in the NHL

We don't need that size, or that 2-way ability, or that "pure C" type of breed at all....
I see, so take MacKinnon and don't look back.

Yeah, you have an impressive way of "talking" about two players while selling one very very short and myth building with the other.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Koto

we just need to win the lottery to avoid all this bpa vs center/winger vs big+two way/skill+drive

ITS MADNESS. GIVE JONES. CURE MADNESS

what is the date/time of lottery?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:39 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I think they may grab one or two, they need to stock up on tending prospect, imo.

I'm with you, getting Eric Comrie in the 2nd round would be good with me, maybe another guy in one of the later rounds.

However, looking over Central Scouting's top Euro Goalies, I can't see any of them being picked, they're nearly all small guys.
If Comrie is healthy and is there in the second, you have to take him. I thought he is projected to be late 1st. Watching the U18 right now and Canada is peppering the Czech goalie, Pacl. He is looking good but not ranked by central scouting, Reinhart just scored.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:39 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post

Florida - Jones

this team needs barkov or mohanen, but if mackinnon is there they won't pass on him...

if we don't come out of this draft with either seth jones or one of the big centres im going to throwup... i like drouin but we just don't need him...

Old
04-25-2013, 12:40 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
we just need to win the lottery to avoid all this bpa vs center/winger vs big+two way/skill+drive

ITS MADNESS. GIVE JONES. CURE MADNESS

what is the date/time of lottery?

April 29th

Old
04-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

For those writing off MacKinnon as that "little small guy", there's this.

Nathan MacKinnon - 5'11" 179 lbs, this year 44gp 32g 43a 75pts

Matt Duchene - 5'11" 200 lbs, currently 5 years older. Draft year in Brampton 57gp 31g 48a 79pts

Maybe he isn't just "that little guy"

Old
04-25-2013, 12:41 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Mike Richards is shorter than RNH and the same weight as Gagner.

We could sure use a Mike Richards on this team.

Its all about how you compete. It's not 1995. It's not clutch and grab all night every night anymore. As long as you compete you can make space in this league.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
If Comrie is healthy and is there in the second, you have to take him. I thought he is projected to be late 1st. Watching the U18 right now and Canada is peppering the Czech goalie, Pacl. He is looking good but not ranked by central scouting, Reinhart just scored.
Woot goal, I think Comrie fits nicely for the Oilers, because there's no rush, he's, supposedly, got a TON of potential, so just let him develop and grow off the injury, and maybe you've got your own Carey Price.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I almost hope we don't win the lottery to be honest, lol, the amount of grief we'd hear about it would be never ending. Last year was pretty bad as is.
yeah i kinda don't want to win either to be honest... we don't deserve it

also, i'm not 100% sold on jones, because i'm very, very wary of drafting dmen that high in the draft

Old
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
HopelessOilFan

I can see us finishing fourth and having the fifth team win the lottery, because oilers.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:44 PM
dnicks17

ISS has MacKinnon at 6'0'' 182lbs too, btw.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
ISS has MacKinnon at 6'0'' 192lbs too, btw.
I took my measurements from Wikipedia, so I wasn't sure how accurate they are, but that's fine. That's Mike Richards size, no?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:48 PM
timekeep

Are people really writing off MacKinnon, he would be the only one I would rank ahead of Jones. Not sure if the Oilers would with the need of goalie but they do need a Center and he will develop much quicker than Jones.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:48 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I took my measurements from Wikipedia, so I wasn't sure how accurate they are, but that's fine. That's Mike Richards size, no?
An inch taller and 10lbs lighter.

(192lbs was a typo. He's actually listed at 182lbs.)

He definitely isn't small. One of the youngest guys in the draft too, so could get bigger.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
I can see us finishing fourth and having the fifth team win the lottery, because oilers.
i wouldn't be heart broken, im pretty content with barkov or monohan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
ISS has MacKinnon at 6'0'' 182lbs too, btw.
im not sure about weight, but CSS also has him at 6ft now as well.

and everyone says hes got a crosby type build with bulls legs, supposedly very strong on his skates, unlike gagner (or anyone on our team...yakupov maybe?)

Closed Thread