HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Miro Satan trade value?

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2005, 02:11 PM
PapaBear*

vCash: 500
Miro Satan trade value?

What is this guy worth?

How about to van for King, and Sopel? Sops would be a good fit in Buff.

Old
04-23-2005, 02:43 PM
n00dles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
What is this guy worth?

Do you even look at what you type?

First off, Sopel is part of your deal so he would be gone from Vancouver.

2nd, where is the benefit for Buffalo? An offensive defenseman and a player with very little experience for an extablished scorer and cornerstone of the Sabres offense? I don't think so.

Old
04-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
What is this guy worth?

You'd probably have to give up more than King and Sopel. Maybe start with Matt Cooke, or do Mattias Ohlund straight up.

Old
04-23-2005, 03:58 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
You'd probably have to give up more than King and Sopel. Maybe start with Matt Cooke, or do Mattias Ohlund straight up.

I don't agree.Satan's a $5m forward.Even with a 24% rollback he'd be expensive.

a salary cap+a crowded ufa market will have other quality scorers available,so why is Van. making this deal instead of going after a ufa?

Old
04-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I don't agree.Satan's a $5m forward.Even with a 24% rollback he'd be expensive.

a salary cap+a crowded ufa market will have other quality scorers available,so why is Van. making this deal instead of going after a ufa?
Don't ask me. I'm just gauging his value in the context of this thread.

Old
04-23-2005, 04:18 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:

Old
04-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Shareefruck

Definately more than Sopel and King, that's for sure. Honestly, King doesn't have much value. And Satan's got bigtime skill and can be an all-star if he puts together a solid season. I'd say you'd have to give up at least SOME value in Cooke, or even Morrison.

It just wouldn't work.

Old
04-23-2005, 04:57 PM
12# Peter Bondra

BUF wants D-men, but I cant see VAN trading away any D-men which BUF wants. Wont work I guess.

Old
04-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
IF the lockout causes the final year of his contract to be null AND with the expected roll-back in UFA age... the Canucks would simply have to pay him -- he'd be UFA.

Granted, I'm not positive of his or anyone elses contractual status for next year, but it seems like he'll be available.

04-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
What a quality post. But then again, I've come to expect these kind of useless posts from you, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Old
04-23-2005, 06:07 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
What a quality post. But then again, I've come to expect these kind of useless posts from you, so I take it with a grain of salt.
Nice little jab at me there. Your post is absolutely ridiculous, suggesting that it would take Mattias Ohlund to take Satan. I really don't need to give my reasons behind why I think that is a joke. Good day to you.

Old
04-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Thornton97

Yea, cause Satan is obviously just above AHL level. I mean, if he were to come to Boston, I think he'd only be a fourth liner.

Someone once said that it takes good players to get good players. Maybe the deal wouldn't be Ohlund for Satan straight up, but if I'm in Buffalo and I'm looking at a good range of value for a sniper like Miro, Ohlund wouldn't be "absolutely ridiculous."

Old
04-23-2005, 06:23 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton97
Yea, cause Satan is obviously just above AHL level. I mean, if he were to come to Boston, I think he'd only be a fourth liner.

Someone once said that it takes good players to get good players. Maybe the deal wouldn't be Ohlund for Satan straight up, but if I'm in Buffalo and I'm looking at a good range of value for a sniper like Miro, Ohlund wouldn't be "absolutely ridiculous."
I agree. Miro is a solid 60+ point guy, a 1st line RW and 25+ goal scorer. With a good playmaker, Satan could easily score 35-40 goals a season.

Old
04-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Eddie Vedder

satan for ohlund is just silly, doesnt make sense for the canucks at all.

Old
04-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
Nice little jab at me there. Your post is absolutely ridiculous, suggesting that it would take Mattias Ohlund to take Satan. I really don't need to give my reasons behind why I think that is a joke. Good day to you.
So jtuzzi, looks like the posters above this post agree with me.

Buffalo needs defense, and Ohlund would slide in nicely. You're gonna have to give up a quality player if you want to get Buffalo's premier player, the heart anbd soul of the organization. Ohlund would be sufficient, and I wouldn't ask for anything less if I was Buffalo. Vancouver doesn't have to take the offer, but this is what Buffalo should be asking for. If the Nuckleheads reject it, Buffalo can look elsewhere for plenty of better ooptions than King and Sopel.

You can say that you don't need to give your reasons as to why you think it's a joke, but maybe you want to start reconsidering your position and explain yourself. Or are you afraid that you can't?

If you don't explain, then I'll just consider it that you can't.

Old
04-23-2005, 08:06 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
So jtuzzi, looks like the posters above this post agree with me.

Buffalo needs defense, and Ohlund would slide in nicely. You're gonna have to give up a quality player if you want to get Buffalo's premier player, the heart anbd soul of the organization. Ohlund would be sufficient, and I wouldn't ask for anything less if I was Buffalo. Vancouver doesn't have to take the offer, but this is what Buffalo should be asking for. If the Nuckleheads reject it, Buffalo can look elsewhere for plenty of better ooptions than King and Sopel.

You can say that you don't need to give your reasons as to why you think it's a joke, but maybe you want to start reconsidering your position and explain yourself. Or are you afraid that you can't?

If you don't explain, then I'll just consider it that you can't.
Satan is a perimiter forward with great skill. The Canucks have little need for a player of his style (no matter how good he is). Ohlund is a rock, and one of the best in the NHL defensivley, and no slouch offensivley, either.

Maybe make a poll of who has more value, Satan vs. Ohlund? I really don't think it is close, at all. Sopel and King is a ridiculous offer too, as I know it would take a lot more to land one of the better snipers in the league.

Ohlund is way to much. Especially considering the market is loaded with guys like Satan. Murray, Kariya, Palffy, Demitra, etc. And teams are looking to move higher priced guys (Guerin, etc). I don't think that a #1 star defender is a good trade for a skilled forward, when there are better (and cheaper) options at UFA.

Old
04-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Darth Milbury

I'm with jtuzzi21. I actually think the first offer (Sopel and King) would me more than enough - generous even.

On the other hand, I wouldn't agree that Satan is really a perimeter forward. He may not be a power forward, but he'll go to the dirty areas of the ice to score.

Old
04-23-2005, 09:26 PM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I'm with jtuzzi21. I actually think the first offer (Sopel and King) would me more than enough - generous even.

On the other hand, I wouldn't agree that Satan is really a perimeter forward. He may not be a power forward, but he'll go to the dirty areas of the ice to score.
IMO Satan isnt even top 20, hes over rated. Hes inconsistent.

King, Sopel and a 1st would be the most Buffalo would get.

Old
04-23-2005, 09:28 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
IMO Satan isnt even top 20, hes over rated. Hes inconsistent.

King, Sopel and a 1st would be the most Buffalo would get.
That is a good package for Satan. I wouldn't call him overrated. The guy has been a solid scorer for many years. Buffalo just lacks a talented playmaker to feed him the puck. Have a guy like Gomez centering Satan, and he would be a 40 goal scorer. The guy can snipe, no question about it.

Old
04-24-2005, 06:02 AM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
That is a good package for Satan. I wouldn't call him overrated. The guy has been a solid scorer for many years. Buffalo just lacks a talented playmaker to feed him the puck. Have a guy like Gomez centering Satan, and he would be a 40 goal scorer. The guy can snipe, no question about it.
IMO Satan is not at all overrated, he is a good 1st line player, and he'll put up great numbers with good linemates.. but as a Canuck fan, I'd hang on to King, Sopes and our first before dealing for Miro.. not that I don't think he's worth that, But we need all the youth and draft picks we can get, considering how our top prospect has the upside of a good 3rd line center...

Old
04-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Wisent

Don't see that thrade happening. Buffalo needs defence and Vancouver wouldn't give up Jovanovski or Oehlund which I think would be needed to get Satan.

Old
04-24-2005, 10:01 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I think Buffalo would be lucky to get an offer of Sopel for Satan straight up at this point, until we know what the CBA will look like.

Satan signed a 2 yr deal prior to the 2003/04 season... that deal is now expired. Unless the NHL decides to extend last season's contracts (which there is no indication they are considering at this point, and players and GMs that have commented on it, seem to be under the impression that those contracts are done), Satan's value is very low at this point.

For a guy turning 31 this October, he's a risky asset who has a good chance at hitting UFA status under a new CBA.

Bring up Ohlund as a guy that would have comparable value to that is ridiculous IMO. Ohlund is a #1 dman for us, who's 2 yrs younger right now and is a much safer bet to not hit UFA status.

I don't see why the canucks would even consider moving *anything* for Satan when they can just wait for the UFA market. And even if the CBA extends last season's contracts, you've got Satan at $5mill instead of going after one of the many UFA wingers that are available. If the CBA doesn't drop the age of UFA status and Satan is a RFA - you have a $5mill qualifier just to keep him for another year, or pay him more for extended contract, or let him walk after a year while paying him that much!

None of this adds up to Satan having much value at all on the market. Sopel for Satan is overpayment considering this contract situation and the UFA market where we could target guys like Murray for the $5mill we'd be spending on Satan!! Sopel and King is big overpayment IMO, and adding a 1st is as ridiculous as bringing up Ohlund in this.

It's like asking what kind of value you would give for Naslund right now?? I'm sure he's worth more than Briere is - would you deal Briere straight up for him, knowing the UFA/CBA situations?

Old
04-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Darth Milbury

I'm with Nuckfan on this one. I think Satan is a fine two-way player whose only real fault inconsistency. But, market forces will dictate his value. I think Sopel and something else would be more than fair.

Old
04-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I'm with Nuckfan on this one. I think Satan is a fine two-way player whose only real fault inconsistency. But, market forces will dictate his value. I think Sopel and something else would be more than fair.
Just curious as to your comment on his "inconsistency". The guy has long been the Sabres most talented forward and has had only one "bad" season in the last 7 (last years 29 goals and 57 points) that I wouldn't consider all that bad.

Old
04-24-2005, 12:19 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Seems like a fair amount of people here vastly underrate Miroslav Satan. I'm not saying his trade value, which may be zilch if he's a UFA, but I hear non-sense like he's a perimeter player?

Satan would not last in Buffalo if he was just a 'perimeter player.'

Satan is far more than that, and on an offensive club, he'd put up a ridiculous amount of points. Good defensively, uses his body *effectively* and has a pair of sweet hands... these guys are worth more than Brent frickin' Sopel.

Closed Thread