HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Almost Kings

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Almost Kings

Got this idea from the Flames board.

Players, who could've been acquired or were close to being by the Kings but weren't:

I seem to remember Theo Fleury's name being tossed around a few years back instead of Ronning.

Obviously the Eric Lindros and Billy Guerin rumors.

Anyone else?

Last edited by Reaper45: 04-28-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old
04-28-2005, 09:09 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Wasn't there a chance of Roy coming over to LA during his troubles with Montreal?

Old
04-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Wasn't there a chance of Roy coming over to LA during his troubles with Montreal?
Yeah I remember hearing something about that....too bad it never came to fruition.

Old
04-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Never heard anything regarding Roy. But there are a few that stand out to me.

During Gretzky's tenure here, there were rumors of bringing Hull in to play on his right side (after the fall out Hull was having with Keenan). The opposite happened in the end when Gretzky ended up in St. Louis with The Golden Brett.
Another one during the off-season had rumblings of the Kings signing Phil Housley (someone Gretzky wanted on the point since the Kings had lost Coffey and Blake was spending more time on the trainers table than he was on the ice).

After the Gretzky/McNall era was over and Anschutz took over the team, big names were brought up as potential options for the Kings to go after, one of those was Jaromir Jagr. I recall this one started at the Draft Party for season ticket holders that was being held at the Sheraton I believe. The supposed rumor involved the third overall pick (Olli Jokinen), Aki Berg, Jamie Storr and a lot of money (believed to be $15M or so). I'm not sure how true this one is, and who ended up backing off or if the league nixed the deal because of the amount of money involved (similar to the Palffy to the Rangers trade that the league rejected. They didn't want players being dealt with cash being the main form of transaction).

Another one I remember hearing/reading about involved Pavel Bure when Mike Keenan was the GM of the Canucks. Keenan supposedly had said that he had a trade worked out with the Kings before he was fired. The Canucks were to obtain Glen Murray, Aki Berg, Jamie Storr and a first rounder.

The Kings were close to acquiring Theo Fleury during the 98-99 season in a deal that would have sent Pavel Rosa and Yanic Perreault to Calgary. But the Kings wanted to get Fleury locked up and sign a contract extension (which I believe was to be 5 years $20-25M). As we all know, Fleury wanted to test the FA market, and after having a cup of coffee with the Avalanche, he ended up signing for $7M per year with the Rangers.

Before the Kings acquired Ziggy Palffy, the Kings had talks with the Islanders for months during Ziggy's hold-out with the Isles. After the Isles got Palffy signed during the 98-99 season, they decided to move him that summer and had a deal set with the Rangers that ended up being vetoed by the league.
The Kings then had an offer in place that the Isles would have accepted, but supposedly, the league wanted a decent center piece to be involved going to Long Island. The original deal had Pavel Rosa (or Scott Barney) involved. The Kings were reluctant in trading Olli Jokinen, but the league forced, and the Kings had to get a deal done for Palffy or someone else was prepared to snatch him.

Now I don't know how true any of these "rumors" are, but I am posting what I remember reading from various reports. It is fun to look back at the possibilities but I'm looking forward to seeing what the 2005-2006 Kings will look like.

Old
04-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Mxpunk

I remember two seasons ago, the Kings were rumored to get Scott Gomez & Christian Berglund for Ziggy Palffy...

As a side note, remember when the Kings acquired Dave Karpa from the Nords? And then he failed the physical and ended up going to the Ducks...Not that it matters but that was the only time I remember a trade being rescinded...

Old
04-29-2005, 01:11 AM
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
I remember two seasons ago, the Kings were rumored to get Scott Gomez & Christian Berglund for Ziggy Palffy...

As a side note, remember when the Kings acquired Dave Karpa from the Nords? And then he failed the physical and ended up going to the Ducks...Not that it matters but that was the only time I remember a trade being rescinded...
Also of note concerning the Karpa trade. When the NHL voided the deal the Kings dealt the a pick [4th in 95] to Nashville for Jan Vopat.

Old
04-29-2005, 01:16 AM
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
I seem to recall that the rumors had Montreal asking for Blake someone else and a couple of first round picks. I dont know if its accurate or some newspaper writers dream,

Old
04-29-2005, 01:33 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word
Also of note concerning the Karpa trade. When the NHL voided the deal the Kings dealt the a pick [4th in 95] to Nashville for Jan Vopat.
Actually, the Kings dealt Jan Vopat to Nashville. The Kings did acquire Jan Vopat from Hartford though.

Old
04-29-2005, 02:36 AM
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Actually, the Kings dealt Jan Vopat to Nashville. The Kings did acquire Jan Vopat from Hartford though.
You are right and I had my media guide in front of me. Interesting to see he is now a Kings scout.

Old
04-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Mxpunk

Quote:
You are right and I had my media guide in front of me. Interesting to see he is now a Kings scout.
Didn't Jan Vopat have to retire after coming down with some sort of weird rash?

Old
04-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

I remembered reading that the Kings inquired about Keith Primeau from Carolina. Instead he went to Philly for Brind'Amour.

Wasn't there a rumor about Satan as well?

D

Old
04-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
There were a million rumors about Satan. Some say we were about to acquire him and Buffalo pulled the plug others say it was never close.

The kings were very close to acquiring Ruchinsky instead of Carter at the deadline last year before interest from other clubs pushed Ruchinsky's price tag up.

Old
04-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Mxpunk

Wasn't Pronger included in the early talks of the Gretzky trade?

Old
04-29-2005, 12:08 PM
jt

Quote:
Wasn't Pronger included in the early talks of the Gretzky trade?
No.

That was made up by people who didn't have a clue what they were talking about, particularly certain people in Toronto who have virtually no credibility.

Old
04-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Is is libel if we mention the names of those Toronto people?

D

Old
04-29-2005, 04:15 PM
jt

As I've seen said many times: "truth is a defense", Al Strachan.

But apparently the University of Tennessee also had morons:
Link

Quote:
Before the All-Star break, the buzz was that Gretzky would be traded to St. Louis for several players, including defenseman Chris Pronger.
There is just ABSOLUTELY NO WAY the Blues would have traded Pronger (who they gave up the ever-popular Shanahan for) for eight weeks of Wayne Gretzky. None.

But just for clarification, I have NO doubt that Pronger's name was brought up and the Blues would have traded Pronger if they'd been able to get Gretzky to agree to a new contract. As is the case with almost all young Dmen, Pronger was having a pretty rough year in that, his 3rd year, in the NHL as a just-turned-21-yr old. Of course, they probably couldn't have gotten Craig Johnson too but you can't have everything.

Old
04-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Word

Quote:
Didn't Jan Vopat have to retire after coming down with some sort of weird rash?
Yes. I dont know if he had it with the Kings but it cost him alot of time when he was with Nashville. He then tried to play in europe and the same problem happened again. It was a reaction to something but they could never figure out what caused it.

Old
04-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Yes. I dont know if he had it with the Kings but it cost him alot of time when he was with Nashville. He then tried to play in europe and the same problem happened again. It was a reaction to something but they could never figure out what caused it.
Yeah that was a shame really.

Closed Thread