HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Coach Hunt: Tampa vs. Buffalo - Who wins?

Old
03-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Squantosawuss

vCash: 500
Coach Hunt: Tampa vs. Buffalo - Who wins?

People are talking about the prospect of Lindy maybe going to Tampa, but Tampa may instead want to hire the BEST coach available, whoever they think that is. It just so happens that Buffalo is trying to do the same.

Which team has the advantage? Do you think a grade-A coach would rather go to the Sabres organization, or to Tampa?

Rosters, location, ownership, location, fan base, location. Who has the advantage?

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
People are talking about the prospect of Lindy maybe going to Tampa, but Tampa may instead want to hire the BEST coach available, whoever they think that is. It just so happens that Buffalo is trying to do the same.

Which team has the advantage? Do you think a grade-A coach would rather go to the Sabres organization, or to Tampa?

Rosters, location, ownership, location, fan base, location. Who has the advantage?
Tampa Bay

Better Climate during Hockey season
Tampa has great ownership
Tampa sells our every game, good fanbase
Tampa has 2 prime aged superstars and some other high end players
Can really enjoy your off time in Tampa

Conclusion, Tampa not close

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:39 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Tampa Bay

Buffalo -
Better hockey climate during hockey season.
Buffalo has great ownership
Buffalo sells out every game, good fanbase who want to win
Buffalo has young talent that will play in the NHL for years to come
Tampa and Florida are in your division and get some sun but not too much.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Tampa Bay

Ahem...

Chippewa.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Takeo

Tampa.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:43 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Not to mention Florida lacks an income tax. A contract for x dollars in Buffalo pays out less than the same contract in Florida.

I think they go with Cooper. At the very least as an interim. I mean he's already on the org chart.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Buffalo -
Ya know....that climate thing is the most deceptive element. Sure, nice weather is, well, nice. BUT, it's so much more fun to go to hockey games when its freezing out. I don't know why. I guess it just makes sense in a primal kinda way. As fun as playoffs can be, there's something gross about going outside after a game---and it's warm out. Yuck.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Buffalo -
that's cool at that is your opinion, your not going to convince me to change by quoting me and spinning everything 180

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
that's cool at that is your opinion, your not going to convince me to change by quoting me and spinning everything 180
I don't think he was mocking you, just offering reasonable counterpoints.

Maybe the biggest determining factor will simply be what kind of team-play each owner wants and which coach will best make them play that way. Do Buffalo and Tampa even have similar arsenals that would have them competing for the same kinds of coaches?

Old
03-25-2013, 07:59 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Tampa Bay

-Warm weather creates issues with the surface of the ice inside arenas, creating less quality ice conditions. Cold weather is better for hockey.
-Tampa's ownership isn't as good as buffalo's ownership considering buffalo's owner spends money on what he thinks the team needs, tampa's owner spends money on what he thinks the team needs then cries about not making money afterwords.
-Tampa actually has worse attendance then Buffalo, Averaging 96.2% compared to 99.9% in buffalo last season, and 87.4% compared to buffalo's 98.7% the year before. Looks to me like buffalo has the more dedicated fanbase.
-Tampa does have established talent, but if you go anywhere with that talant, you are just winning with somebody else's team. Buffalo's talent is young enough that in a year or two when their talent becomes established talent, it will be your team. Many coaches would prefer that.
-Coaches don't really get any time off during the season. Once the season is over, that coach can go wherever he wants, so the last point really is irrellivant.

Advantage buffalo due to arguments finishing out at 3 (Buffalo)-1 (tie for talent) - 1 (not relevant to the discussion) - 0 (Tampa)

Just because its Buffalo doesn't mean every other city in the league is better.

TBH I would actually like to see Jame's take on this... (yes I actually said that)

One point you missed, is the fact that Buffalo's ownership can and will spend a ton of money on coaching. If he really wants to bring one in, he will match or beat any offer from another team. He is that kind of person and everyone in buffalo knows that.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:00 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Yeah - just showing the counterpoint. Nothing more or less.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:15 AM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

Tampa in every single way. How is this even a thing.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:28 AM
CowbellConray

As a Sabres fan who lives in Tampa...

Ownership - Buffalo. Higher ability to spend on scouting. Pegula has an in touch feel with the city.

Players - Tampa - May not have the better players now, but they have Stammer locked up for 6? more years, as well as Hedman and Conacher. And they also have young core players like Killorn and Tyler Johnson.

GM - Tampa - Steve Yzerman wants to build a winner. And he is active, just not in a Holmgren way.

City - Buffalo - People down here just dont know as much about hockey as Buffalo. In the actual arena, the lightning fans are loud, but outside of the arena people just dont pay attention to them.

Fans - Equal. Sabres have more, Tampa fans are loud and passionate.

Regarding the team, staff, and fans, I would say it's pretty equal. Then it comes down to personal preference. Do you want to work with Stamkos? Or do you want to try to work with Grigorenko and the rest of our young core. Also, we have miller which the coach could lean on.

Good debate for sure.

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:20 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Lindy is still a member of Sabres org, is he not? He is simply relieved of duties as coach. So he needs to either be released from his contract, or have it expire, in order to go to Tampa.

He's coached in Miami before. He can debate himself which he prefers.

His daughter with the brain tumor a few years ago is probably a HS senior or college freshman now. Don't know about other kids of his.

If I'm Ruff, in my mid-50's, I'd ASK to be considered for the TB job.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Why,wouldn't Ruff be considered the best available for Tampa? Jack Adams winner, has a label of "getting most out of team" ( fair or unfair), and has more than a decade of experience.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
-Warm weather creates issues with the surface of the ice inside arenas, creating less quality ice conditions. Cold weather is better for hockey
yea, see how it slows down that tampa team and limits offense Tampa doesn't have ice problems... believe it or not, the figure things out over the course of 2 decades.

Quote:
-Tampa's ownership isn't as good as buffalo's ownership considering buffalo's owner spends money on what he thinks the team needs, tampa's owner spends money on what he thinks the team needs then cries about not making money afterwords.
not aware what your referring to... either way, stable ownership willing to invest in the franchise is not a question in tampa

Quote:
-Tampa actually has worse attendance then Buffalo, Averaging 96.2% compared to 99.9% in buffalo last season, and 87.4% compared to buffalo's 98.7% the year before. Looks to me like buffalo has the more dedicated fanbase.
yea, but fans in Tampa actually cheer the team on

Quote:
-Tampa does have established talent, but if you go anywhere with that talant, you are just winning with somebody else's team. Buffalo's talent is young enough that in a year or two when their talent becomes established talent, it will be your team. Many coaches would prefer that.
how many more monkees are young going to pull out of your butt?

Quote:
-Coaches don't really get any time off during the season. Once the season is over, that coach can go wherever he wants, so the last point really is irrellivant.
you need to own extra property to do that.... did you ignore the "no state income tax" part too? Anyone in their right mind would prefer making money in sunny florida

Quote:
TBH I would actually like to see Jame's take on this... (yes I actually said that)
my take... is that you made up a bunch of nonsense...

Yzerman, Stamkos, Hedman, stable ownership, beautiful weather, no state income tax...

Every coach in the NHL would prefer the tampa job...

Quote:
One point you missed, is the fact that Buffalo's ownership can and will spend a ton of money on coaching. If he really wants to bring one in, he will match or beat any offer from another team. He is that kind of person and everyone in buffalo knows that.
Everyone around the league knows that Buffalo's owner is a "kid in a candy store"... while Vinnik is an experienced professional sports owner with a Championship Ring.

See how easy it is to twist things...

Bottom line... I think Stamkos and the lack of an Income Tax is more than enough to make Tampa a FAR more desirable coaching destination. But that's just me.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Ruff --> Tampa
Boucher --> Buffalo

HF Explodes.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

If all things contract and duty wise were equal, I'd personally go to Tampa. Everyone has different criteria though, so this is ultimately a personal decision for whoever both teams decide to go after.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

I'll put my money on the Sabres keeping Rolston and Tampa going for Ruff. Cooper will get his chance. Of course for the Sabres it depends on Regier.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
I'll put my money on the Sabres keeping Rolston.
I wouldn't.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:07 PM
tsujimoto74

I would take Buffalo's weather 11 times out of 10, for anyone seriously citing that as a pro for Tampa. In pretty much any month other than January/February, the heat can be truly unbearable, IMO. That's basically enirely a matter of personal preference, not an actual objective thing you can tally as a pro or con.

In any case, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better owner than Pegula to work under. Guy doesn't give a rat's behind what it costs, he just wants to build a winning organization. If Buffalo's made up its mind on a coach, and he's getting offers from other teams, I'm sure Terry would have no problem opening up the wallet and offering more (even enough to more than make up the difference after tax).

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I wouldn't.
Hypothetically, there is no way I'd try and predict the Sabres organisation atm.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
I'll put my money on the Sabres keeping Rolston and Tampa going for Ruff. Cooper will get his chance. Of course for the Sabres it depends on Regier.
I would bet a lot against it.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:51 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yea, see how it slows down that tampa team and limits offense Tampa doesn't have ice problems... believe it or not, the figure things out over the course of 2 decades.

not aware what your referring to... either way, stable ownership willing to invest in the franchise is not a question in tampa

yea, but fans in Tampa actually cheer the team on

how many more monkees are young going to pull out of your butt?

you need to own extra property to do that.... did you ignore the "no state income tax" part too? Anyone in their right mind would prefer making money in sunny florida

my take... is that you made up a bunch of nonsense...

Yzerman, Stamkos, Hedman, stable ownership, beautiful weather, no state income tax...

Every coach in the NHL would prefer the tampa job...

Everyone around the league knows that Buffalo's owner is a "kid in a candy store"... while Vinnik is an experienced professional sports owner with a Championship Ring.

See how easy it is to twist things...

Bottom line... I think Stamkos and the lack of an Income Tax is more than enough to make Tampa a FAR more desirable coaching destination. But that's just me.
-There is a long trail of NHL players and experts on the game commenting about the ice conditions in warm weather cities and on warm days in general. There is a reason as to why a new system for players to file complaints with the NHL Via a smartphone app was developed due to new rules in the new CBA to try and improve ice conditions.

-As to my next comment, the owner in tampa bay was one of the loudest owners in complaining about not making enough profits during this last lockout. Yet they put a ton of money into the area itself.

-Cheering for the team louder doesn't make a better fanbase. Buffalo has a larger turnout on a nightly basis, and the facts that I posted support that. Find some facts to disprove that buffalo has a better turnout on a nightly basis before you try and waive off my factually supported argument with "Well tampa makes more noise"

-Its been shown from many sports that many coaches prefer to come into a team that they can build up themselves. Thats not pulling monkeys out of my butt thats a fact that has been stated by many of the most famous coaches in professional sports. Why do you think coaches want to come into an organization that will give them some form of control over their roster as opposed to one with a GM who will not really include them in the decision making? You can see this quite well by simply looking at the NFL in recent years (where coaching changes are much more common then NHL teams)

-Many coaches and players don't live in the city they coach in.

-Money talks, and Pegula has shown to be more willing to throw it around. If he wants a guy enough he will do what it takes to get that person to come to buffalo. Just look at the Regehr trade. Pegula flew cross country and paid for Robyn and his family to move to buffalo. Is there any history of the Lighting ownership doing anything like that?

So point out where I made anything up. All of my statements are factual unlike many of the ones you made.

I hope tampa enjoy's lindy, because from what it sounds like Tampa is trying REAL hard for him, so there won't be a competition between the teams regardless.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
So point out where I made anything up. All of my statements are factual unlike many of the ones you made.
you didn't reference a single fact

"there is a long trail of...."
"It's been shown that...."

Last edited by Jame: 03-25-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Jame is online now   Reply With Quote