Notices

My experience at Staples...

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 05:17 PM
numberthirtyfive*

vCash: 500
My experience at Staples...

First let me say I've been lurking these boards for way too long (maybe 5 years ).

I went to my first ever ducks vs kings game last night, and it was the first time I've been to Staples Center. I'm 19 and went with my 16 year old sister. Here are some of the highlights:

-It was LOUD in there! Their chants were pretty funny and people actually followed whoever started one (take notes, ducks fans)

-There was a contest during the 2nd intermission where 2 fans had to name as many kings players as they could without repeating what the other person said. They named maybe 5 or 6 between the two of them. It was both hilarious and pathetic.

-Much more obnoxious fans than I expected (guess I shouldn't have underestimated LA). This ~40 year old mom was with her 8-10 year old son and was giving us a hard time the whole game. She cussed at me directly a few times, wouldn't stop yapping in my ear, and left her kid unattended for at least 10 mins per period (I sincerely wish I was making this up).

-A good number called me a "freaking maggot." Just replace "freaking" with its other form and replace the "m" with an "f." Grown men (at least older than me) calling my sister a *****, etc...

-There were some good fans; kings fans will probably just say we got unlucky seats. Somehow, though, it seemed like we would've been treated the same no matter where we sat.

-A final note: If I ever read another kings fan talking **** about how ducks fans don't know anything, I will go berserk. The people around me were screaming for invisible penalties/icings/offsides, they cheered when cogliano got hurt(screaming "how could you knee hurt when he hit your hand? faking it!"), laughed at allen when he took the puck in the face (one ~50 year old guy said "I hope you broke your ****ing eye, piece of ****"), were screaming that bobby's no-goal was a high stick, etc...Basically, kings fans can't throw stones.

Wow this was long.

Last edited by numberthirtyfive*: 04-14-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Getz2perry

The problem is they won the cup last season.

Anyway im still confused as why other teams fans making fun of anaheim fan base is still where they run to for trash talking.... no ducks fans brag about having the greatest fan base... i dont care how ****** our fan base is i watch the team not the fans.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:10 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Only 16?.... I'll keep my question to myself then.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post

04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

I went both last year and this year to the Staples Center for Ducks v Kings. I went with Kings' "fans" both time and my experience was similar to yours. Nothing outrageous, of course I had derogatory words said to me but, nothing out of the ordinary. Tons of people who don't know what they're talking about, asking for fights or penalties every 2 minutes, and just making dumb comments or hoping someone gets injured, but you're going to get that almost everywhere in any sport.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Commander Shepard
Wrex

vCash: 620
Quote:

Old
04-14-2013, 07:20 PM
DigitalSea
Thank you Landon

I got beer poured on me by Kings fans when I was 17, that was fun. Last time I'll go to Staples.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:31 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
That's funny. With your experience with such matters, I would think that you of all people would appreciate what was coming next.

My theory is that Kings fans are displaced Raiders fans, what with the similar colors and all. So yeah, that would explain a lot.

I've never been to Staples for a hockey game, but it is a pretty nice arena. I find the escalators a little amusing though. LA is too lazy for stairs. Clippers fans don't seem as rude as Kings fans.

Generally when I go to other arenas I don't wear the uniforms. But I've actually never had a problem before. I've only been to a few though. SJ and Washington.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:00 PM
12ozPapa

To be honest, most Kings fans I've met/interacted with are *******s.

Hate to generalize, but being a fan since 2001, almost 99% of Kings fans I've interacted with have been complete *******s.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Paul4587

I've been to a few different arenas in both the US and Canada and Kings fans are by far the worst and trashiest around. I went to a Kings Canucks game at one point and Kings fans booed and jeered at the Canadian national anthem (one guy shouted Canada sucks repeatedly), screamed some of the worst things I've ever heard at Canucks players and were generally clueless ******-bags. As a fan of neither team (although obviously I was rooting for Vancouver) I didn't get any abuse or anything but a few wearing Canucks jerseys near me got pretty badly abused.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

I haven't been to Staples in a few years. Considering where it is located I don't have a burning desire to go there for much of anything.

During the lockout I attended one Ontario Reign game. It is the Kings ECHL farm team and it happened to be the night they had the Stanley Cup there. I will say that wearing my Ducks jersey caused no issues the whole night and the place was packed with Kings jerseys. Maybe it's just a different fan base than the ones who attend games at Staples.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:06 PM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post
To be honest, most Kings fans I've met/interacted with are *******s.

Hate to generalize, but being a fan since 2001, almost 99% of Kings fans I've interacted with have been complete *******s.
Every one of my friends that is into hockey is a Kings fan. I never talk **** about the Kings to them, ever. But every time we see each other they must find some way to talk **** to me about the Ducks. Don't really get it but there's definitely a thing amongst Kings fan that they have to be *******.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
The Sunshine Duke
Castleton Snob

vCash: 50
I've never had a good experience with a Kings fan at a game. Ever. I've had a bunch of experiences that were neutral, a few bad ones, and one really bad one. They're gross people.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:43 PM
12ozPapa

On the other hand, our fanbase is probably the wussiest in the league, and it disgusts me.

There's a happy medium between us and Kings fans. Wish we could get to it.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:46 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

I would just like to bring this up. The kings boast about having 44 (something close) straight game sell outs and that the Ducks don't sell out.

Your team is so good your sell out started with 2 home games left in the cup finals. That carried on to the after winning the cup season. Bandwagons sell out from the finals.
True fans (Toronto/Van) sell out for years without them winning anything.

I bet Anaheim sold out the season after they won the cup, but I bet if the kings get bumped early their sellout streak ends.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:59 PM
HanSolo
#CheerForKesler

vCash: 68
Quote:

My good friend sat next to some ass who threw popcorn at his head all night long whilst taunting him. Decided never to go to Staples for a Ducks game.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

I'd have to say the worst arena I've been to was Joe Louis... A guy behind us kept screaming "****ing kill Selanne" in front of his kid because DVM had on a Selanne jersey.

Never had any run ins with Kings fans.... They're loud and obnoxious but nothing I thought that crossed the line. Went to see a Kings-Coyotes game (of course in my Ducks jersey) there for work, they rented out a suite and it was free booze. Was drunkingly trying to find the bathroom on the suite level when I ran into Bailey and threatened to neuter him then saw Luc and said how much I loved him despite him being a King.

Of course that was when they sucked so the ******* bandwagoners weren't there yet I guess.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueLinee View Post
I got beer poured on me by Kings fans when I was 17, that was fun. Last time I'll go to Staples.
Guess you won't be attending the outdoor game at dodgers stadium.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Ducksgo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Every one of my friends that is into hockey is a Kings fan. I never talk **** about the Kings to them, ever. But every time we see each other they must find some way to talk **** to me about the Ducks. Don't really get it but there's definitely a thing amongst Kings fan that they have to be *******.
Like I said plenty of security needs to be at the dodger game if we are playing them outdoors next year. Cause I'm not standing for that **** neither me or any of my friends tail gating.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:47 PM
The Mighty Duck Man
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
I would just like to bring this up. The kings boast about having 44 (something close) straight game sell outs and that the Ducks don't sell out.

Your team is so good your sell out started with 2 home games left in the cup finals. That carried on to the after winning the cup season. Bandwagons sell out from the finals.
True fans (Toronto/Van) sell out for years without them winning anything.

I bet Anaheim sold out the season after they won the cup, but I bet if the kings get bumped early their sellout streak ends.
I believe the Ponda had a pretty good sellout streak going for some time. I can't remember how long, but I want to say both the 06-07 and 07-08 seasons were included in it.

As for Kings fans, I've noticed they're especially *******, and that's just from on here. I imagine it has a lot to do with us winning the cup first, despite their teams' large head start, and especially they fact that they were terrible when we did it. Now that their team has won, they've become especially arrogant, and I really couldn't tell you why. Sure, they've won now, but they all seem to think our fanbase doesn't know much about hockey and their's are all quite intelligent when it comes to the game. Wouldn't doubt it if (advanced stats) plays a big part in that.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Like I said plenty of security needs to be at the dodger game if we are playing them outdoors next year. Cause I'm not standing for that **** neither me or any of my friends tail gating.
They don't allow tail gating for Dodger games(people get open containers for drinking in their cars), and I highly doubt they'll allow it for a Kings game.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:32 PM
DaDucks*

Kings fans are all bark with no bite and they are easy to put down if you have half a brain... Most of them even laugh at themselves and agree with me after a few well thought out zingers.

Except for the duck hunter... No that guy didn't find me funny at all lol

(Kings fan that wears full camo hunting gear every ducks/kings game.)

Old
04-14-2013, 10:37 PM
DarthYenik

I never had any problem with Kings fans, until this season. Not that I've been to any games at Staples since the 2005-06 season. Just wearing Ducks gear around town, they give me ****. A lot of it is just friendly ribbing, and I'm a good sport.

I'd never want to go to Staples, though. Just from what I've seen on TV, it looks like a mob mentality is taking over.

And yeah, It's funny how the majority of the Kings' fans' "slights" to Ducks' Fans is that we don't sellout the pond, or that there are a lot of Kings' fans that go down there. Sure I wish we sold out every game, and that we were more loud, but it's not at the top of the list when I think of hockey and the Ducks. I'd rather win. A couple more weeks and one more division title, and the Ducks have better credentials than the Kings.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Ducksgo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
They don't allow tail gating for Dodger games(people get open containers for drinking in their cars), and I highly doubt they'll allow it for a Kings game.
So we can't tailgate even if alcohol isn't consumed? You can tailgate at angels stadium we've done it before

Old
04-14-2013, 10:59 PM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

I wore my Ryan Getzlaf jersey to Staples a couple years ago...After Getzlaf scored in the shootout, I stood up and cheered like any Ducks fan would do. Sure enough, I feel a cold sensation on my head and I feel liquid running down my face. An ******* Kings fan poured a large coke on my head. I ****ing hate those **********. I'll never go to that arena again.

Closed Thread