Old
04-15-2013, 05:30 AM
la patineuse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
[
Meh, I'm out.
So, no answer to how often you've actually attended kings or Ducks games?

Ok. Buh bye, talk to you later.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:51 AM
snowave

I've been to about 3 games at Staples.. (none in last couple yrs since I moved) always wore my Ducks attire, never got anything other than a "Ducks Suck" comment. Of course, I'm 6 ft 230-ish, and let my belly hang out underneath my ducks jersey... so that might be a tad intimidating.

I must say, it has always been a much more enthusiastic crowd at Staples, and they do a better job of getting the fans into the game than at the morgue... I mean, Honda.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I might honestly be the only Kings fan that doesn't REALLY, REALLY hate the Ducks. Most seem to absolutely despise you guys and your team and I really don't get it. I, on the other hand, could care less. Won't ever root for you but I won't wish harm on your team like I do the Sharks.

That being said, it's pretty sad to read these stories. I'm from the bay area so I don't get down to LA much. Probably been to an average of 1 game per year in LA for the last 13 years or so. In all my trips, I never heard any disrespect to other fans like you guys claim but I'm guessing its because you're Ducks fans and I'm not sure I've ever been to a Kings v. Ducks game. Pretty ****ing sad but I'll just blame it on people being from LA instead of our actual fanbase.

If you want bad fans, go to SJ. One time at a game there, the lady next to me said Dany Heatley was the best defensive player in the league. I lost my **** laughing. So we got in to it a bit and her boyfriend threatened to stab me.
Staple center isnt that bad ive been there a number of times in a ducks jersey, im guessing a lot of people have only gone to honda/staple center making the calls here. I usually go to 3-4 games at staple a year, (usually ducks vs kings and ill usually check out 1 shark/kings game). Just off the staduims ive been to san jose, detroit, chicago, MSG, pitt and philly were way worse then staple center.

I dont honestly get the kings fans hate for the ducks... like i get a lil rivalry hatred but jesus they are beyond over the top, when really there hasnt been to much bad blood between the actually teams iced.

But ya judging staple center by some fans is like other fans judging the ducks fan base on hockey knowledge based off certain fans comments etc.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Hockey Duckie

The biggest difference between the lively atmosphere of Staples and Honda are kids. Throughout all my years of attending the Pond, and now Honda Center, you will see kids everywhere. Sunday games were all about kids (haven't been to a Sunday game in a couple of years) as they had all this outside gaming area for them. I had learned pretty quickly to start using "Great Googley Moogley" and such in place of profanity because there were so many kids around, it didn't matter where you sat (glass, club, or upper level... I've sat in all three, though not in one game).

I kind of don't buy the "Los Angeles" bit because I'm a Clippers fan and it's a different atmosphere from a Lakers game. Clipper fans are like Duck fans. We're kick back. I mean why else do we need Clipper Darrel to pump the crowd up? Clipper Darrel is a STH, not employed by the org.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I haven't been to Staples in a few years. Considering where it is located I don't have a burning desire to go there for much of anything.

During the lockout I attended one Ontario Reign game. It is the Kings ECHL farm team and it happened to be the night they had the Stanley Cup there. I will say that wearing my Ducks jersey caused no issues the whole night and the place was packed with Kings jerseys. Maybe it's just a different fan base than the ones who attend games at Staples.
That's because we're mellow here in the Inland Empire. That and you're in a building full of real hockey fans. People don't watch AA hockey if they aren't legit fans of the game.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:44 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
I'd have to say the worst arena I've been to was Joe Louis... A guy behind us kept screaming "****ing kill Selanne" in front of his kid because DVM had on a Selanne jersey.
That's funny because I had the exact opposite experience when visiting the Joe. I was prepared to defend myself all night because the Wings fans that infest the Pond are the most obnoxious, belligerent fans next to the Kings fans that flood the place. I figured being in their barn we were gonna hear it all night and nobody bothered us at all. Hell when the people next to us heard we came all the way from So Cal to watch the game they became fascinated by us. It was weird.

Funny enough the most hostile road building I've been to for a Ducks game aside from Staples was Pepsi Center. Avs fans didn't care for us one bit. It didn't help my brother is the loudest person you'll ever meet and he's always head-banging with his super long hair in people's faces. He gets on the diamond vision a lot at the Pond. I'm sure he's annoyed a lot of us as well.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
That's because we're mellow here in the Inland Empire. That and you're in a building full of real hockey fans. People don't watch AA hockey if they aren't legit fans of the game.
I kind of wondered about that. I also wondered if the Cup being there could have skewed the whole mix of the crowd from hockey fans to bandwagon chasers. People were lined up all during the game (missing the game) just to get their picture taken with it.

I enjoyed going but it was a bit of a drive. And it was the coldest rink I've ever been in. Brrrr

Old
04-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Water Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
I misread that as "was cursed at BY a 4 year old" and pictured this mini kings fan flipping off a grown man with his grown father and saying "**** you *******, ducks suck"

The sad part is that thought didn't even phase me... Just nodded my head like that could've been a legitimate occurrence.
Went to a Nashville game one time. Lots of parents encouraged their kids to come up to me and say colorful metaphors and things kids shouldn't say. Pretty sad when parents encourage their kids to use such language. Some of the adult fans even threatened to have me lynched (although a nearby police officer walking in our direction scared them away).

Old
04-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Knight View Post
Went to a Nashville game one time. Lots of parents encouraged their kids to come up to me and say colorful metaphors and things kids shouldn't say. Pretty sad when parents encourage their kids to use such language. Some of the adult fans even threatened to have me lynched (although a nearby police officer walking in our direction scared them away).
That's a much sadder indictment of our society that it is of just a sporting event. How do adults think it's cute teaching small children to swear? My parents never taught me and I did ok picking it up on my own at a later age.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:06 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

I taught my boss' 4 year old to say "Turco boooooo"

Old
04-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
That's a much sadder indictment of our society that it is of just a sporting event. How do adults think it's cute teaching small children to swear? My parents never taught me and I did ok picking it up on my own at a later age.
My father attempted to teach me how to work on an engine when I was 12. I told him I already knew how to swear.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
My father attempted to teach me how to work on an engine when I was 12. I told him I already knew how to swear.
I honed some of my finest swearing skills in high school auto shop.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:

I enjoyed going but it was a bit of a drive. And it was the coldest rink I've ever been in. Brrrr
I know! I had to buy a Reign hoodie to my first game because I was freezing. I don't know if it's because the building is small or what but it's effing cold in that place. Center Ice Arena also in Ontario is freezing too. Something in the water perhaps?

Old
04-16-2013, 12:47 AM
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger

You know what really sucks?

A good chunk of Kings "fans" in Europe is the same. When I went to the season opener in London back in 2007, I would be yelled at, insulted, tackled etc all the time by their "fans". And, just for clarification, one has to add: I've talked to lots of people and peeps in the arena were from pretty much every European nation plus Russia.

I don't know what it is with them, but Kings fans seem to have a general tendency to be **********.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:45 AM
Koffein

Due to my geographical location I've only been able to visit Staples once, and despite wearing a Ducks jersey I had a great time. Did get some people yelling at me, but none really seemed that serious about it and ended up talking to quite a few of them. Even got some credit for traveling halfway across the world just to watch my team play and a "welcome back some day", so it was definitely a better experience than I could have imagined from what I heard from local Ducks fans.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
OMGoodness! That has me cracking up. That sounds like it could be on a t-shirt. Now, only if you had a logo to go with!

Old
04-16-2013, 11:02 AM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
You know what really sucks?

A good chunk of Kings "fans" in Europe is the same. When I went to the season opener in London back in 2007, I would be yelled at, insulted, tackled etc all the time by their "fans". And, just for clarification, one has to add: I've talked to lots of people and peeps in the arena were from pretty much every European nation plus Russia.

I don't know what it is with them, but Kings fans seem to have a general tendency to be **********.

This. I was at a Ducks V. Kings game at Honda last season and right behind me 2 drunk idiot female Kings "Fans" started fighting. Their boyfriends did not break it up but rather encouraged them to continue fighting. This lasted until Anaheim PD had to break them up.

They just seem a little nutty where ever they are. It has gotten worse this season as well as a lot of "fans" feel entitled and much more arrogant.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Nikko*

The problem is that the 8 seed underdog cup run and win has given them the lion's share of the SoCal bandwagon. It was something that was trendy back in May. These are the ones you speak of that are ignorant, ghetto, trying to fight all the time. I laugh in the face of these people because you can quickly make them realize how much they don't know. There are good, knowledgeable, long time Kings fans out there, they are just outnumbered 25:1 right now.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
jiggsawpuzzle35

The last time I was at Staples for a hockey related event was for the Draft. I was in my Ducks jersey and quite a few Kings fans around me. There was a couple back and forth trash talking but it was all good. As for a game, the last time I was there was for a preseason game back in 2005. My wife and I went and were never once had a problem with the Kings fans around us. I'm sure that's all changed now since they won a cup. I've been to 5-6 Clippers games a Staples and have always had a great time. Been to a Lakers game too and it was great. Although I'm guessing if I was rooting for someone else other than the Lakers I would have had a verbal thrashing. The only other time I have been to a sporting event rooting on my team against the home team was at Qualcom Stadium. I came in my Brady jersey and to my surprise, I didn't get ***** from any Charger fan. SoCal is full of laid back fans, but if you are going to go to a Kings or Dodgers game, make sure you are around fans that are rooting on the same team as you.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:17 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post
The last time I was at Staples for a hockey related event was for the Draft. I was in my Ducks jersey and quite a few Kings fans around me. There was a couple back and forth trash talking but it was all good. As for a game, the last time I was there was for a preseason game back in 2005. My wife and I went and were never once had a problem with the Kings fans around us. I'm sure that's all changed now since they won a cup. I've been to 5-6 Clippers games a Staples and have always had a great time. Been to a Lakers game too and it was great. Although I'm guessing if I was rooting for someone else other than the Lakers I would have had a verbal thrashing. The only other time I have been to a sporting event rooting on my team against the home team was at Qualcom Stadium. I came in my Brady jersey and to my surprise, I didn't get ***** from any Charger fan. SoCal is full of laid back fans, but if you are going to go to a Kings or Dodgers game, make sure you are around fans that are rooting on the same team as you.
My experience at the draft was pretty mellow too. There were just too many other teams' fans in the building. That and only die-hard hockey fans sit through a draft. It was great how much we were being booed and then we picked Etem and the place erupted. That was awesome.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:40 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post
I went to the draft as well and caught crap from Kings fans. Telling me that we weren't going to be able to resign Selanne or Ryan. I went with a group of friends shortly after graduating high school and we had a guy shout "Bad Parenting" at us. In retrospect its kind of funny but the Kings need to have chill pill nights.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:26 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

"I will never go to Staples again" LOL. Way to support your team that is only playing 40 minutes away.

You wear the other team's sweater and you are going to catch grief. The rare occasion will find you getting too much grief just for showing up but, most of the time, Kings fans won't go over the line unless you stand up to cheer for a goal and look back at the Kings fans in your section. No problem with other team's fans standing up to cheer for goals, but don't turn around and shove it in the face of the 50 people behind you that hate your team.

DaDucks has no problem showing up to Staples and sits up top with the loudmouths. Some of you need to grow thicker skin.

As for generalizations about fanbases, a novel can be written about stupid things overheard in Anaheim. You are going to get a lot of that, especially at "bigger" games that draw non-fans. Still doesn't excuse the idiotic Ducks fan last Saturday who kept standing up during play in the 3rd row of the section. I can understand not understanding offsides, but how can you keep on standing up when all game you've been screamed at to sit down during play?

Oh...almost forgot about the two geniuses who were cheering an apparent injury to Visnovsky during a pre-season game in Anaheim while he was still a King. OMG they weren't classy!!! I'm never going to Anaheim again!!

Those of us who frequently post about hockey on a message board understand the game and will be civil: don't be so blown away when a portion of any fanbase acts poorly. It's like getting pissed off at a Chinese national who has been here for one day for not speaking English...not every person at a game watches hockey regularly or even at all. Prepare yourself for this...it may even be their first game.

I will say there are more Ducks fans at Staples this season, just like there was in 2007 and the year after. Even with the perceived violence and "bloods and crips" (guy from Anaheim commenting on gangs like he isn't a stone throws away), there are more Ducks fans this year...can always tell if the Ducks are having a good season by how many of their fans drive up to LA. Just like the games in Anaheim with LA fans, right guys?

Old
04-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
"I will never go to Staples again" LOL. Way to support your team that is only playing 40 minutes away.

You wear the other team's sweater and you are going to catch grief. The rare occasion will find you getting too much grief just for showing up but, most of the time, Kings fans won't go over the line unless you stand up to cheer for a goal and look back at the Kings fans in your section. No problem with other team's fans standing up to cheer for goals, but don't turn around and shove it in the face of the 50 people behind you that hate your team.

DaDucks has no problem showing up to Staples and sits up top with the loudmouths. Some of you need to grow thicker skin.

As for generalizations about fanbases, a novel can be written about stupid things overheard in Anaheim. You are going to get a lot of that, especially at "bigger" games that draw non-fans. Still doesn't excuse the idiotic Ducks fan last Saturday who kept standing up during play in the 3rd row of the section. I can understand not understanding offsides, but how can you keep on standing up when all game you've been screamed at to sit down during play?

Oh...almost forgot about the two geniuses who were cheering an apparent injury to Visnovsky during a pre-season game in Anaheim while he was still a King. OMG they weren't classy!!! I'm never going to Anaheim again!!

Those of us who frequently post about hockey on a message board understand the game and will be civil: don't be so blown away when a portion of any fanbase acts poorly. It's like getting pissed off at a Chinese national who has been here for one day for not speaking English...not every person at a game watches hockey regularly or even at all. Prepare yourself for this...it may even be their first game.

I will say there are more Ducks fans at Staples this season, just like there was in 2007 and the year after. Even with the perceived violence and "bloods and crips" (guy from Anaheim commenting on gangs like he isn't a stone throws away), there are more Ducks fans this year...can always tell if the Ducks are having a good season by how many of their fans drive up to LA. Just like the games in Anaheim with LA fans, right guys?
Waaah, they said mean things about the fans at Staples.

Stop being gross people, then you won't see these threads and feel the urge to post your bland, PG-13 replies.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:41 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

TL;DR?

-Ducks fans aren't real fans because we won't support our team in LA

-Don't generalize kings fans; ducks fans will only get harassed if you cross the line i.e. look at kings fans

-Some generalizations about stupid ducks fans

-A first hand account of something that happened +/- a decade ago

-Horrible analogy about a Chinese guy

-We're all bandwagoners because of all the fans that show up in LA which contradicts his first point about ducks fans not being real fans because some won't support the team in LA because of unsavory characters there

Edit: almost forgot.... DaDucks fits in with the loudmouth king fans. Kinda has a point there

Last edited by duckaroosky: 04-16-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old
04-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Yeah, about the only thing I got from that is "Hi, I'm going to be hypocritical."

And with that, I think we're done for now. People have vented, and I don't think it will be productive to let this continue for the moment.