HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hold your head up high Leafs Nation, Future is bright

Old
05-13-2013, 09:26 PM
TmlHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Hold your head up high Leafs Nation, Future is bright

Despite being knocked out. We should be proud of this group. First playoff experience and it was against their worst possible match up. We brought it to game seven and brought it to OT (despite a collapse). This is an inexperienced group and should help out.

We have free agency, trade and drafts to upgrade our weaknesses.

In regards to our young roster:

JVR had 7 points
Franson had 6 points
Kessel 6 points
Gardiner had 5 points in six games in his first ever playoff series
Kadri had 4 points in seven games in his first ever playoff series
Colborne looked good out there.

Faceoffs were a major weakness which I'm sure will be better by next season. This team is getting better and better. Next year we should be deep into the playoffs. We made the playoffs, the team worked hard. I'm sure this should attract some free agents and good players here who want a playoff run.

Hold your head up high leafs nation.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:29 PM
The Shadow

if we had to lose in the first round you could not script this in a better way

they took the recent cup champs to the absolute limit - they briefly tasted what playoff hockey is like in Toronto and will learn from this

exciting times in T.O ahead - with Leiweke added to the organization this team will be Cup Finals bound in the near future

The Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Tonka
9.5%?

Yup, all teams go through the experience.

Kadri, Kessel, Franson, Gardiner, Reimer, Gunnar, Fraser, JVR, Kule, Grabo (loved the heart despite lasck of offence), Jay Mc, Lupul...good season boys...rest of you- meh.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:31 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Proud of this team.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BLeafer2011

We got to see Grabo's heart. Also we got to see life without Bozak.

BLeafer2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
leafsforlife
The Dream

Absolutely gutted ......

But the team really did the city proud even getting into a position of being up 4-1 in game 7 against a former cup winning team.

I love the core of players we have going forward and I'm glad they got some great playoff experience in this series to build on for next year. I know we'll be in contention for a playoff spot next year.

All our big players stepped up huge and I'm proud of them all.

leafsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I know, doesn't make it any less painful

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

The two most remarkable stories have to be Gardiner and Kessel.

Gardiner, goes from a healthy scratch to logging big minutes in the playoffs, against Boston nonetheless, and looking great the entire time.

Kessel, for all the flak he got in regards to his play against Boston and if he could perform in the playoffs, he shut up the critics in a big way.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
I posted this on the main board but it's been inundated with whining. So I'll say it here.

I said at the beginning of this series the Leafs would be defined by their performance. While this was a disappointing end, Toronto and their fans have plenty to be proud of. This team showed character and the determination that this have season playoff appearance was no fluke. Toronto is a legitimate playoff contender going forward and good on them for it. Regardless of result, it's efforts like these that make it worth watching, even from a Habs fan. And to that I say cheers to a remarkably season all things considered. May be catching more of this team next year.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:33 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

We should be proud of what these young players have accomplished. I'm not as upset as I though I would be. Alot of steps forward and respect created for this team and franchise.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:34 PM
MeoTwist

This hurts, really bad. But if you would have told me this team would push Boston to a Game 7 OT, I would have laughed in your face. I'm proud of this team (sickened by the collapse tonight) because they played a hard, physical, intense series against probably the toughest team in the league, who are loaded with skill.

We all knew we wouldn't go far. We should have won this game tonight, but it is what it is. We have plenty of good things to look forward to going forward. We know we need to shore up the defense this season with at least 2 acquisitions. Let's look forward to next season.

(hey, I only smashed one piece of furniture tonight! Small miracles)

MeoTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Krupp

Bruins fan here. Just wanted to say that it was a hell of a series, guys. You have nothing to be ashamed of. For a team that has barely any playoff experience prior to this, the Leafs played their hearts out. I can't tell you how many Bruins fans were being defeatist earlier today complaining about how much the team sucks, and how they couldn't believe how bad the Bruins looked against the speed and grit of Toronto.

Anyway, you guys have nothing to be ashamed of. This series showed that you guys have a competitive team at the very least. I look forward to seeing Toronto back in the playoffs next year.

Krupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

On the GDT thread I said win or lose I'm still proud of what the Leafs did and still mean that.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
While we are at it,

Good news everyone. You only have to wait 12 Months for more playoff hockey from the Leafs! provided they even make it that is, otherwise 24 Months.
Bad news: We have to go back to watching the Jays.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeeIs
M a t s

Bad way to go, but it was a nice turnaround season.

We've finally turned the corner. Came out of the Abyss.

Thanks Leafs!

go leafs go!

Can't wait until October.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:36 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

This series have have shown some amazing progression with this team. We are now a young playoff ready team real close to achieving contending status. I would like to think that Toronto is now a better place for free agency, so that we could attract some key needs.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Stephen

I'm proud of the team, but I'm also not proud of the way they finished.

In the crucible of the playoffs, and in the home stretch for one of the biggest upsets, they literally reverted back into the the Ron Wilson Leafs. That was a disaster that undid all the good things in the 3-1 comeback.

Next year, in a division with Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, Tampa, Florida and us, are we even going to make the playoffs?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:37 PM
no13matssundin

Future is bright indeed. Said this in another post but to reiterate:

A few things though:
-Grabo must learn how to finish.
-D core MUST be upgraded
-Gardiner is the real deal and our future number 1 Dman
-Kadri and Phaneuf need to be traded for a solid Dman and 2 prospects (including one blue chip D prospect)
-Reims needs to improve on rebound control and staying in position. Outside of that, he's solid.

no13matssundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Very, very proud of this team.

Disappointed at first, but how many teams could come back, when down 3-1 in a series against a team pretty fresh off a Cup win, and take it all the way to OT in game 7.

Sure, we seemed to have the win firmly in our grasp, but there was a serious lesson to be learned here.

I'm excited to see where we can go from here.

tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Proud of the Leafs

They may have lost, but I'm still proud of the Leafs and to be a Leaf fan right now. It hurts right now, but through it I still feel good about the team and how they played.

They shut up everyone over the year. Everyone. Everyone who didn't give them enough credit to even make the playoffs. Everyone who didn't give them a hope in hell to make it past 5 games and against the Bruins.

There was and is a lot to be proud about this team and how they played and I want to see this from a positive stance even though it's hard to right now.

Reimer took this team and pushed a series to 7 games that had no business going there. Kessel played very well, gave us some great moments and left Toronto after game 6 with his fans cheering. Gardiner looked like the defenceman most of us know he can be and it will be fun to watch him over he years. Kadri shut up all the people who started to pipe up about him being a bust. Grabovski was amazing all series with his forecheck, backcheck and sacrificing himself for the team and deserved way more than he got.

This team exceeded most peoples expectation and I believe we all have something bright to look forward to. So as much as it hurts, I'm still happy, I'm still proud of this team and it's players and I'll still hold my head high and say "go Leafs go". I hope you all join me in being proud of this Leafs team.

Go Leafs go. Blue and white forever.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Paris in Flames

I'm very proud of the team.

Doesn't mean I'm not ready to punch something.

Blowing the lead just makes it so much worse.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Despite the loss there are many positives to take away from this season.

This experience will go a long way towards the future and its only going to get better.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:40 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Grabovoski is the first move, buyout.

I lost count of how many goals he was on the ice in tonight's game 7 match. Think it was 5.

He tries hard, but was -3 again. Including skating by the series winning goal.

Finished the series -10, absolutely the worst minus I can ever recall by any Leaf in a playoff series.

Give credit for his courage, but he simply is not a very smart player, has limited talent, no scoring touch, and little intangibles.

Goodbye Grabo, good riddance, time for you to be bought out.

-10 on the regular season, -10 in the playoffs, and little to no production all for a whopping 5.5M Cap hit, this all but makes you finished as a Leaf.

Brutal player.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:40 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
On the Bright Side of Things

I'm as mad/sad/angry/whatever you want to call it as the next fan, but there is something positive that came out of this.

This season has been about proving who we are as a team.

Making the playoffs: Finally after NINE YEARS, we made the playoffs. And not only did we not look out of place, but we came from behind in a 1-3 deficit to force a game seven. We performed greatly and almost made it to round two.

Kadri: The kid has been nothing short of a stud. Our potential #1 centre we have been looking for since Sundin left. He's proven the doubters wrong, and will only progress for future seasons.

Kessel: Erases the Boston jynx, has one of his hottest seasons to date and performed greatly against the Bruins.

Defence: Looking solid with Phaneuf, Gunnar, Gardiner and Franson going forward. Fraser looks to be a great #6/7 defenceman that can provide grit and defensive stability. Along with Reilly, Finn, Percy and Blacker waiting in the wings, we look to have a solid core going forward.

Reimer: The guy was nothing short of amazing all season. Had a few off nights, but hell, who hasn't as a goalie? He seems to be our future #1 going long term, he has a great attitude and loves playing in Toronto.

With a more veteran presence to back him up long term, I think Reimer has what it takes to be consistent in performing at great lengths.

This season was about the team proving themselves, and everyone came in and performed. Maybe the GMK line wasn't what it used to be, but each player on this team has shown what they are capable of doing now, and going forward.

As heart-wrenching as it is to watch our team go down in such a fashion, it only goes to show as one of the youngest teams in the NHL, the Leafs definitely have what it takes in this core to perform in the playoffs and be consistent competitors.

See you guys next year!

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Tonka
9.5%?

Feels like I got punched in the gut but yes, proud of the team..learning experience. And Kelly, Lucy, beChara

Boston Weak

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote