HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Caps Trade Deadline Thread III (The Filip Forsberg Kerfuffle)

Old
04-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Acallabeth
Curses & prophecies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
+50 lol.

Acallabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:33 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
tanking and rebuilding fails more often than it succedes. look at tampa bay. they have stamkos and a 2nd overall, hedman. they added them to st louis who has been at his best and lecavalier. they made one playoff run and have now missed the playoffs twice in a row. there is edmonton and the ny islanders and the panthers and others.

maybe whats best for the team is to keep trying.

hell, i am not in the game. so, i dont know anything. maybe the nhl should seize the franchise from ted and move it to markham, onterio canada

Tanking is no guarantee of future success. Those teams you mentioned are living proof. Columbus is another team. Have they won a playoff game? I remember them making the playoffs once tho not sure they won a game.

Man..the Caps have won 7 in a row and are one of the hottest teams in the NHL and frankly it shocks me that people are still bitter about not tanking.

There is still plenty of room on the Red Bandwagon so everyone may as well get on it now and enjoy the ride. We can go back to being disgruntled in the offseason if things don't work out.

Bottle the bitterness and save it for a more appropriate time!

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:50 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

I miss Tinner....ever since his daughter took over his account with this anti-Tinner positive schmositive stuff, it's not been the same.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:53 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I miss Tinner....ever since his daughter took over his account with this anti-Tinner positive schmositive stuff, it's not been the same.
Actually my daughter eats nails for breakfast so her criticism would be much harsher.

Koolaid tastes much better than sour milk. I guess you learn that over time.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:08 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Tanking is no guarantee of future success. Those teams you mentioned are living proof. Columbus is another team. Have they won a playoff game? I remember them making the playoffs once tho not sure they won a game.

Man..the Caps have won 7 in a row and are one of the hottest teams in the NHL and frankly it shocks me that people are still bitter about not tanking.

There is still plenty of room on the Red Bandwagon so everyone may as well get on it now and enjoy the ride. We can go back to being disgruntled in the offseason if things don't work out.

Bottle the bitterness and save it for a more appropriate time!
Nope. Got swept.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:31 AM
txpd

and atlanta/winnipeg. one playoffs and swept. right? as br points out, the team has been close to winning. they have had a fairly legit shot for several seasons in a row now. only one team wins and the caps carry some hideous playoff baggage with them when each playoff season starts.

i would not be shocked if the caps won the cup this time around. i dont expect it, for sure, but i would not be terribly surprised.

it appears that adam oates is a legit coach. it appears that he has brought ovechkin, green and backstrom back to elite allstar status. the caps power play is feared. they play a pressing style that doesnt forget the defense and have added a physical game that will stand them well in the playoffs.

oates says his system is designed to protect his puck moving catalyst defenseman. the caps biggest playoff problem has been the pounding that mike green has taken. alzner and carlson will be in their 3rd playoffs. they have experience now.

they have TWO goalies that have won playoff series and one goalie that has a full measure of what it takes to get into an opponents head.

i see a lot of positives. they are the caps. in the best of times doom is in the stitching of the uniforms, but i see reasons to look forward to the playoffs.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
We will go back to being disgruntled in the offseason if things don't work out.
fixed

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:58 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
and atlanta/winnipeg. one playoffs and swept. right? as br points out, the team has been close to winning. they have had a fairly legit shot for several seasons in a row now. only one team wins and the caps carry some hideous playoff baggage with them when each playoff season starts.

i would not be shocked if the caps won the cup this time around. i dont expect it, for sure, but i would not be terribly surprised.

it appears that adam oates is a legit coach. it appears that he has brought ovechkin, green and backstrom back to elite allstar status. the caps power play is feared. they play a pressing style that doesnt forget the defense and have added a physical game that will stand them well in the playoffs.

oates says his system is designed to protect his puck moving catalyst defenseman. the caps biggest playoff problem has been the pounding that mike green has taken. alzner and carlson will be in their 3rd playoffs. they have experience now.

they have TWO goalies that have won playoff series and one goalie that has a full measure of what it takes to get into an opponents head.

i see a lot of positives. they are the caps. in the best of times doom is in the stitching of the uniforms, but i see reasons to look forward to the playoffs.

I'm actually with you on this. I think they're peaking at the right time. Stay healthy and continue to play this way and I can see us in the ECF. That said, it's the Caps....there's a lot of heartbreak and bad history to overcome.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I'm actually with you on this. I think they're peaking at the right time. Stay healthy and continue to play this way and I can see us in the ECF. That said, it's the Caps....there's a lot of heartbreak and bad history to overcome.
And this is the main reason people are bitter in general. I sympathize with the "tanker" crowd, or the "dump Green/Laich/Ward" crowd, or the "Fire GMGM!" crowd etc etc

We have a shot. Let's see how it plays out. 1st step is to make the playoffs and we'll take it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
fixed
We shall see.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:16 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Looking ahead to the spring, I think the biggest add we've made after Ribeiro is Erskine. If, and that's a huge if, he keeps up his flat out amazing play, we will have four top four defensemen for the first time since like 1998.

I still think this is a lesser team than 2009. We'll see.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:30 AM
txpd

the question with erskine, hillen, and olesky is simple. have they all developed at a later age and without proper pedigree and are actually legit nhl defensemen? i watch hillen and olesky play and not knowing them think they looks pretty decent. they can skate and seem to be properly positioned. they both seem able to make a play. i also thought kundratek showed well and we all think orlov is legit. yet those two players are in hershey when they can be in washington without a roster issue.

maybe hillen and olesky are nice finds from the pro scouts and legit players. maybe erskine has developed into a legit top 4 at this 30+ age. it seems obvious that oates is getting to use the dmen he wants and he apparantly wants erskine, hillen and olesky.

its true that erskine is a fearsome beast that come playoff time will hurt opposing players on a game by game basis.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:30 AM
bacchist

This is Erskine's fifth season with the Caps. Not exactly an addition.

bacchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:33 AM
bgroban

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchist View Post
Have you followed Big John's play closely? He made a nice little leap this season. It most certainly is an addition.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Thanks Captain Literal...

When a player makes a huge leap in the level of their play over the course of a season it is very much an addition for all intents and purposes.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:37 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:

Old
04-16-2013, 10:38 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I'm still not comfortable with how badly Erskine gets outshot and outchanced. Still the worst on the team at that among guys actually here.

But he does seem to be embracing much of what Oates is preaching, which is nice.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:42 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
BRS03 lacing our Koolaid with truth serum

The Reality Tour 13

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:46 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I'm still not comfortable with how badly Erskine gets outshot and outchanced. Still the worst on the team at that among guys actually here.

But he does seem to be embracing much of what Oates is preaching, which is nice.
Carolina routinely seems to get 40 shots a night. How are they doing?

Last night the Leafs had 5 shots through 2 periods and won.

You seem to love the shots stat. Qaulity chances are where its at and they don't always correlate. The late 80s and 90s Pens were a great example.

Teams with high levels of skill don't just fling pucks to the net from anywhere.

Erskine had 8 hits last game. To me physical play is more important and we are more physical now than at the beginning of the season.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:56 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Looking ahead to the spring, I think the biggest add we've made after Ribeiro is Erskine. If, and that's a huge if, he keeps up his flat out amazing play, we will have four top four defensemen for the first time since like 1998.

I still think this is a lesser team than 2009. We'll see.
And even without Ribs I think giving MP a full year is overdue. He filled in admirably for Backstrom last year but then Hunter pulled the rug out from under him in favor of Keith Aucoin.

Will be excited to see Kuznetsov after the Olympics.

Need to get Hendricks resigned.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM
jasonleaffan

vCash: 591
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle11246403/

Interesting read on your first season boys

jasonleaffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Kegger

To me, guys like Erskine and Oleksy are two perfect examples of how badly we were missing at least some physical presence on the blueline. Like I've said previously, I dont think this is the primary issue but it has been in times past. Some Progress.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
You seem to love the shots stat. Qaulity chances are where its at and they don't always correlate. The late 80s and 90s Pens were a great example.

Teams with high levels of skill don't just fling pucks to the net from anywhere.
People love the SOG stat and I don't understand why.

Here's an interesting study: NJD SOG the past 10 games vs Caps SOG past 10 games.

NJD SOG - opponent's SOG
34-14, 25-25, 26-30, 25-21, 40-26, 28-18, 39-26, 28-18, 33-11, 32-13
Record: 0-6-4

WASH SOG - opponent's SOG
22-31, 38-23, 29-34, 19-34, 22-36, 31-30, 38-30, 27-29, 31-44, 38-40
Record: 8-1-1

This can obviously be an outlier, but to me it's apparent that Oates' system is predicated on creating chances, not shots. Throwing shots from where ever can lead to easy saves and/or long rebounds that can kickstart counter attacks. I also think your point about teams with skill is spot on. You don't see guys like Nicky or Ribs, or even Ovie any more just ripping it from any where and every where. They're always shooting to score, not just to shoot.

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:11 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleaffan View Post

Wow cool, thanks....

Never heard this before....that's funny.

When they finally won a road game, finally ended that 0-for-37 streak of unplumbed wretchedness, there was only one thing to do, so they did it. They skated back onto the ice after the game, carrying their prized possession – an old, beat-up metal garbage can.

Ever so giddy, the players hoisted it over their heads as they victory-lapped the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena, then they signed it with a black marker, then they took it back to Washington, D.C., where it was proudly displayed in a corner of the team’s dressing room.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleaffan View Post

Thats it! Playoff avatars of the boys carrying around Lord Stanley garbage can!

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:12 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
People love the SOG stat and I don't understand why.

Here's an interesting study: NJD SOG the past 10 games vs Caps SOG past 10 games.

NJD SOG - opponent's SOG
34-14, 25-25, 26-30, 25-21, 40-26, 28-18, 39-26, 28-18, 33-11, 32-13
Record: 0-6-4

WASH SOG - opponent's SOG
22-31, 38-23, 29-34, 19-34, 22-36, 31-30, 38-30, 27-29, 31-44, 38-40
Record: 8-1-1

This can obviously be an outlier, but to me it's apparent that Oates' system is predicated on creating chances, not shots. Throwing shots from where ever can lead to easy saves and/or long rebounds that can kickstart counter attacks.
The basic concept is simple. Shoot or you don't score. Pretty plays have their place, but when the times get tough (as they often do in the playoffs), just get the shot on net, crash the crease and get the rebound. See Montreal/Caps series....