wally31:NHL 2013 Mock Draft

Old
04-15-2013, 01:02 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Also, people using the BPA reasoning. Calgary has shown it doesn't care much for it.

Remember last draft lol? Better players were available lol!
BPA is very subjective. Jankow was the BPA in managements eyes... They targeted him from the beginning.

Also, why include the 2012 draft, but neglect the 2011? I recall many Flames fans upset that we took Baertschi instead of McNeil. "We need C's!" is what everyone was saying.. Glad we didn't draft by needs there.

Drouin will probably end up 6'0 - 195lbs. That's not tiny or big. It's average. He's only played one season on the LW, before that he was a C.

F l a m e s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

vCash: 550
How about this way, do you take Toews, Backstrom, Giroux or Kessel?

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I may have been a bit quick on the trigger there, the more I look at it if the draft unfolds that way it could happen, if all those teams pick based on need.

I still think Tampa will see Barkov as an opportunity to replace Vinny, and ship him somewhere else for another asset.

Stamkos, Barkov down the middle for the next 15 years would be too hard for them to pass up, in my opinion.

I think the hesitation towards taking Drouin from our fan base comes more to do with the fact he is not a C or D, than any amount of skill he has. I am sure we would be thrilled to have him on our team, but we do have bigger needs.
No worries. I tried to think through each situation carefully. After last draft, I don't know how anyone could say "that will never happen!"

people would have said Forsberg at 11 would never happen
Pouliot at 7 would never happen!
Teuvo at 18 would never happen!
etc.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:11 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Poor example all 3 centers were higher ranked then the winger, but I would take Toews.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Poor example all 3 centers were higher ranked then the winger, but I would take Toews.
Giroux wasn't even ranked among top ten north Americans. Backstrom was the top European skater, a la Barkov.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:30 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Giroux wasn't even ranked among top ten north Americans. Backstrom was the top European skater, a la Barkov.
Your right about Giroux but he was anomaly and I would be torn between the 2.

A better choice would be Kessel vs Mueller/Brassard/Kana/Anisimov. All rated around the same and Kessel is easily the best.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:31 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
You can't compare Drouin to Kessel. Drouin is a freaking wizard, and the only one in the draft. Barkov and Lindholm are good but they're no no wizards. You take the kid who has magic every time. The kid can stickhandle through the Running of the Bulls if he wanted to. His stickhandling, playmaking, and possibly even goalscoring are tops in the draft. Passing on him is the type of move that one could regret for a long time.

Skillwise, Drouin is very comparable to Patrick Kane. But he's actually a bit bigger, and like Giroux, there is a chance that he can become center. Or even if he doesn't become center, he's still the most valuable piece at #3, IMO by a long shot.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
You can't compare Drouin to Kessel. Drouin is a freaking wizard, and the only one in the draft. Barkov and Lindholm are good but they're no no wizards. You take the kid who has magic every time. The kid can stickhandle through the Running of the Bulls if he wanted to. His stickhandling, playmaking, and possibly even goalscoring are tops in the draft. Passing on him is the type of move that one could regret for a long time.

Skillwise, Drouin is very comparable to Patrick Kane. But he's actually a bit bigger, and like Giroux, there is a chance that he can become center. Or even if he doesn't become center, he's still the most valuable piece at #3, IMO by a long shot.

May as well draft this guy first overall! It's not like highly skilled junior players, that are 100% skill with little in any other catagory have ever been a bust!

May as well already give him MVP, and the Stanley Cup the way you talk about him

I can see others feel differently about him, it doesn't change my opinion of him. There are enough Alex Tanguay-like players in the league to not have to draft one with a top five pick (Here comes the flames, I don't mind).

Old
04-15-2013, 05:56 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

May as well draft this guy first overall! It's not like highly skilled junior players, that are 100% skill with little in any other catagory have ever been a bust!

May as well already give him MVP, and the Stanley Cup the way you talk about him

I can see others feel differently about him, it doesn't change my opinion of him. There are enough Alex Tanguay-like players in the league to not have to draft one with a top five pick (Here comes the flames, I don't mind).
Drouin is nothing like Tanguay they play nothing alike I am starting to question how much of him you have seen and how much you have gotten from stats sheets.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Drouin is nothing like Tanguay they play nothing alike I am starting to question how much of him you have seen and how much you have gotten from stats sheets.
Seen him play 2ce in person, and of course have seen a ton of video + WJC

Just because someone can make it look like they have the puck taped to their stick, or tied to a string; making D-men in the Junior Leagues look foolish; doesn't make that game translate to the NHL.

I look at him, I see his play, I see his eyes; I personally don't see a 100 point guy in the NHL. I see a 65-75 (if on a good team) and maybe hitting 80-85 on a very strong team NHL type player. Have to keep everything on the correct scope; and I have a feeling you watch that Youtube clip of him dangling like 5 people and getting the assist a million times over and think this is pretty much what you're getting.

As a 16-17 year old, he was a slightly above average player, and this season he's stepped up big time as a 17-18 year old. Okay. You look at his points, yummy. I believe he had a 6 assist night and a 4 point night St. Johns and Acadie respectively; two division rivals that are ridiculously poor.

Also, I truly don't think you've (I know for a fact, actually), you never saw Tanguay in a Mooseheads Jersey lol.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:28 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:

I honestly would draft him 1st overall. In the Prospects board there was a thread back in November; who will go 1st overall. I said Drouin and took all kinds of heat in the thread, because he wasn't even ranked top 5 at the time. I said he'll probably make the WJC and outperform MacKinnon, and then they'll probably go to the Memorial Cup and he'll outperform MacKinnon there too. I've always been sold on the kid. I think it's between him and Jones for BPA, and then everyone else.

Also calling him 100% skill and nothing else is pretty silly. The kid has a strong work ethic, and good hockey IQ. From what I've heard he's extremely dedicated to hockey. Talking about busts, guys like Shremp I imagine is what you mean, they don't have the dedication that Drouin has so there's no worries in that department.

As for the Tanguay comparison; it's almost as bad as the Kessel comparison. Both are pretty bad. Tangs is a playmaker, Kessel a goal scorer, Drouin can do both equally well. He can snipe corners, or dangle, and his backhand is world class as he showed at the WJC. He's much closer to Kane and Giroux than he is Kessel or Tanguay, and IMO he has the potential to be even better than those two.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
As for the Tanguay comparison; it's almost as bad as the Kessel comparison. Both are pretty bad.
Kessel was a draft scenario. My favorite fanboy gave the Kane vs. Couture scenario; which itself was a bad one (Chicago drafts Turris 10/10 times if they hadn't taken Toews the year before)
Tanguay, when he was drafted; many moons ago was a legit playmaking/scoring center in the Q lol. I'm not talking about Modern day Tanguay. I just feel that's what Drouin will probably be in the NHL. I don't think he translates like Seth, Mack or Barkov.

Btw, If you want to talk about dedication + pedigree: I don't look further than MacKinnon, there's a reason he was so highly touted for years now (and I'm hoping clowns continue to overlook him in favor of players like Drouin, just hope it translates to the draft <fingers-crossed>)

Old
04-16-2013, 02:42 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

I'm going to weigh in here.

If I were picking for the Flames I would use the following list to make my picks and would would choose the highest ranking player on this list with each pick.

Keep in mind this is my "Flames" draft list. Other teams will have different lists based on what they need and value.
  1. Seth Jones
  2. Aleksander Barkov
  3. Nathan MacKinnon
  4. Jonathan Drouin
  5. Sean Monahan
  6. Elias Lindholm
  7. Darnell Nurse
  8. Rasmus Ristolainen
  9. Ryan Poluck
  10. Hunter Shinkaruk
  11. Nikita Zadorov
  12. Joshua Morrissey
  13. Valeri Nichushkin
  14. Alexander Wennberg
  15. Frederik Gauthier
  16. Adam Erne
  17. Beau Horvat
  18. Robert Hagg
  19. Ryan Hartman
  20. Max Domi
  21. Anthony Mantha
  22. Mirco Mueller
  23. JT Compher
  24. Curtis Lazar
  25. Kerby Rychel
  26. Andre Burakowsky
  27. Jason Dickson
  28. Artturi Lekhonen
  29. Ian McCoshen
  30. Madison Bowey

100 Third Graders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 500
im hoping for

Drouin (casue i think hes the Best player in the draft)

Zykov (as our second 1st rounder)

Petan/Hagg/Lazar

Devilspuppet666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:52 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

I have a strong feeling the Flames will land one of Steve Santini or Ian McCoshen. Both are huge, physical, NCAA defence-man prospects... They have Weisbrod written all over them.

I personally wouldn't be upset at all with either of them.

Drouin, McCoshen, Santini would bring an elite forward with two hulking top-4 defenders... I personally believe in BPA for Calgary, and won't be able to formulate my opinion until I know where all of our picks are... I just hope that we end up with some size coming out of this draft.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Quote:
I don't see Calgary passing on Hartman he seems like a perfect fit,
I ended up debating Horvat over Hartman with you, but hopefully you (and readers) didn't walk away thinking I was anti-Hartman.

He's definitely a character player, who drives the net hard, plays a physical game. He's the type of player of team wants... Kinda reminds me of Ryan Callahan. Pesty, physical, with skill.

Question: What is the earliest you would take him in the 1st round?