HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ball hockey goalie equipment

Old
11-28-2013, 06:32 AM
HabsByTheBay

vCash: 500
Ball hockey goalie equipment

Hey guys, I've been playing ball hockey in England for a couple years now. I've previously been using ice hockey leg pads but the weight is too much for ball hockey - considering you need more mobility around the net and can't slide too much on the surface we play it, it seems that lighter pads would work better.

I was wondering if anybody has bought some ball hockey specific equipment and whether they thought it was worth it. A couple of the big manufacturers make ball hockey specific stuff, so if they're any good, I might buy some stuff when I'm back in the States for Christmas.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 10:03 PM
greyraven8

No idea of the quality or price of any pads made for ball hockey.

Only ball hockey I play is in a yearly game outdoors.

One of the goalies wears lacrosse goalie leg guards - not as wide as goalie pads for regular (ice) hockey but are bigger than player's shin pads.
If you can't find something you like in goalie ball hockey pads they might be an idea for something lighter.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:45 PM
MaxChart

Canada, but you might be able to find those on eBay or whatever: http://www.prohockeylife.com/other-s...ie-pads-p-5873

MaxChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 02:45 PM
MattGTI

All the goalies I have played with in ball hockey use ice hockey goalie equipment.
I'll have to ask around as to why that is.

MattGTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 10:39 AM
HamDangled

I play ball hockey pretty often. Always used the road hockey style pads you'd buy in a sporting goods or hardware store. Played in a big game one time with ice equipment and got lit up. Never again. It's way too hard for me to move quickly in them

HamDangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 09:29 PM
goalie29

I play ball hockey and ice. For ball hockey I have some old school Heatons. They're a few inches smaller than my ice pads (Brian's Zero Gs) and really flexible so I can flop around more easily on the gym or concrete floor.

I have used the Reebok 1K road hockey pads, and they work, too. But they're definitely not as durable, and cost close to the same as my used Heatons.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Brodeur

There are some pads designed for street/ball hockey, but most are missing knee stacks. Those pads will work if you don't rely on butterflying, else it might be rough on the knees.

I've had different luck using my ice pads for street hockey. I had a pair of Reebok 5k (low end ice pad) for ball hockey last about 8 years. They took a little while to break in, but I eventually got the hang of them. I'm currently using Vaughn 7400s and these seem to be the balance of providing adequate protection while not being too bulky.

A couple years ago I tried using the Warrior Swagger for ball hockey but I had difficulty feeling the ball and couldn't control my rebounds. Similarly I have a pair of Reebok Revoke 7000s that are a little too bulky.

Couple links:

Vaughn street hockey: http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipmen...street-sr.html

Some other miscellaneous: http://www.icewarehouse.com/catpage....ERLEG&view=all

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote