HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hypothetically if Tambellini was fired..

Old
04-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Hypothetically if Tambellini was fired..

Who would you want to see replace him? There is a lot of talk not just here on HF, but in the media about this happening. Here's an article from Terry Jones. http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...-up-tambellini

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Craig MacTavish?

No but seriously... Scott Howson?

Okay okay, no more jokes. Kevin Lowe!?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Who would you want to see replace him? There is a lot of talk not just here on HF, but in the media about this happening. Here's an article from Terry Jones. http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...-up-tambellini
It would have to be Burke.

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Kayen
Yakityyakyakyak

Jim Nill

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:06 PM
#ualberta

I know many will disagree but i will say Brian Burke

Honestly i will give anyone a shot as long as this management team is gone, i assume you mean lowe and tambo are fired

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Perfect_Drug

Scotty Bowman

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:08 PM
armandh01

This will be out of left field but apparently with the way Krueger assisted in us obtaining Schultz, I'd promote Krueger. He may be what upper management needs. I think he'd be a better GM than coach. I know "not another coach", the kids will get over it.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:10 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
This will be out of left field but apparently with the way Krueger assisted in us obtaining Schultz, I'd promote Krueger. He may be what upper management needs. I think he'd be a better GM than coach. I know "not another coach", the kids will get over it.
You mean Coffey and Gretz??

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Craig MacTavish?

No but seriously... Scott Howson?

Okay okay, no more jokes. Kevin Lowe!?

I see no jokes here. This is the sad reality unless Katz does a clean sweep.

Also, I think that if Tambi gets canned then Kreuger goes with him. I cannot see any new GM keeping him if that GM is an outside hire. But since it will be MacT, maybe Kreuger stays. Hard to say. Maybe MacT becomes the coach and GM.

Thing is, it won't be. We knew this the second MacT was hired. So that being the case, any new coach has to keep all these pretenders that we now pay as assistants.

But, it looks pretty good other than that.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:15 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Prendergast

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:15 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Well I saw an interview with Schultz where he said Krueger was very impressive. I am sure Gretz and Coffey phone calls amounted to nothing but a cherry on top, or otherwise jack.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
copper_blue

- Anyone who doesn't take 3 years to analyze his team.

- Anyone who likes gritty players

- Anyone who likes players that crash the net

- Anyone who likes players that are a pain in the ass to play against.

- Anyone who likes energy players

- Anyone who will provide a real supporting cast for our young upcoming stars

copper_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
We posted the exact same thing in different threads at the same time. You watching me?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I know many will disagree but i will say Brian Burke

Honestly i will give anyone a shot as long as this management team is gone, i assume you mean lowe and tambo are fired
Burke can build a tough team with quality players. I'm down with that.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper_blue View Post
- Anyone who doesn't take 3 years to analyze his team.

- Anyone who likes gritty players

- Anyone who likes players that crash the net

- Anyone who likes players that are a pain in the ass to play against.

- Anyone who likes energy players

- Anyone who will provide a real supporting cast for our young upcoming stars
I think you just described Burke

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:19 PM
PETRYDISH

Burke put all the pieces together to from a Toronto team that is now successful. I'd be happy to see him here knowing he'll have the balls to make hard trades. Honestly I see Tambo sitting on his hands doing nothing all summer. Hopefully we can get someone in before next season.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
My requirement for the replacement is grabbing a guy who has been in our situation. Multiple high 1st rounders consecutively and has had playoff success. The idea is, they have seen first hand what you need to surround your young studs with to have success and also sustain it.

With that said, my guy for our next GM job is Pittsburgh Penguins Asst. GM Jason Botterill. His job for the Penguins is a little of everything. Here is a small blurb of what he does:

Quote:
“A big part of my job is giving Ray an understanding about what’s going on in the league,” Botterill says. “If he’s talking to Team X, he needs to know where they are with the [salary] cap. He needs to know if they have a player coming back from long-term injury so they’ll be looking to move a defenseman. Just making sure when he goes into these conversations with other GM’s he has a clear understanding of what their thought processes are and what their salary cap situation is.”

Identifying leverage points for Shero to target doesn’t happen overnight. Through a series of elaborate spreadsheets and charts, Botterill tracks the transactions and cap situations of all 29 other NHL teams down to the last dollar. It’s this year-round preparation and research that gives him the poise of a student heading into a final exam with an ‘A’ in Math already locked up.

On top of his copy of the CBA sits the 2010-11 Official NHL Rulebook that governs what happens on the ice in today’s game – a game much different from the one Jason Botterill competed in as a first-round pick of the Dallas Stars in 1994.

“The style of play since the lockout has completely changed from the standpoint of just the hooking and the holding and the obstruction rules,” he says. “The biggest thing I see is just you have to be able to skate. I think it’s an era now where if you have the ability to get in [quickly] on the forecheck and compete hard, you don’t even need to make that monster hit.”

“You look at what [Penguins coach] Dan Bylsma demands, all you have to do is find a way to knock that guy off the puck just a little bit to get that separation so you get the puck. From a fan’s perspective, I love our [style].”

Identifying players that fit the Bylsma mold in the new NHL is something that’s a constant work in progress. Botterill also serves as General Manager of Wilkes-Barre and is always in contact with the organization’s professional scouts looking for new additions. He says the communication and mutual respect between the front office, scouting staff and coaches is the key to the recent success of the Pittsburgh Penguins franchise.
The guy is also tasked with knowing the CBA inside and out.

He's also an Edmonton raised guy.

While people might be like, 'Rookie GM!!', look at Marc Bergevin(sp?) of the Habs. Rookie GM from a successful Chicago franchise, and now sitting 3rd in the East. This is not even a year removed from picking Galchenyuk.

Botterill to me is an easy choice. Ray Shero has been a hell of a GM creating a Pittsburgh Penguins roster that is not only deep in the NHL level but also the minor league level. They win or draw even on every trade, and they always have good enough role players. Botterill is Shero's right hand man. He's also one of the most promising young minds in hockey. I'd love for us to finally get ahead of something and grab a guy like him. He knows what it takes to create a winner and then sustain it. We need someone like him.

04-14-2013, 10:25 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
My requirement for the replacement is grabbing a guy who has been in our situation. Multiple high 1st rounders consecutively and has had playoff success. The idea is, they have seen first hand what you need to surround your young studs with to have success and also sustain it.

With that said, my guy for our next GM job is Pittsburgh Penguins Asst. GM Jason Botterill. His job for the Penguins is a little of everything. Here is a small blurb of what he does:

While people might be like, 'Rookie GM!!', look at Marc Bergevin(sp?) of the Habs. Rookie GM from a successful Chicago franchise, and now sitting 3rd in the East. This is not even a year removed from picking Galchenyuk.

Botterill to me is an easy choice. Ray Shero has been a hell of a GM creating a Pittsburgh Penguins roster that is not only deep in the NHL level but also the minor league level. They win or draw even on every trade, and they always have good enough role players. Botterill is Shero's right hand man. He's also one of the most promising young minds in hockey. I'd love for us to finally get ahead of something and grab a guy like him. He knows what it takes to create a winner and then sustain it. We need someone like him.

I quite like this.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:34 PM
bleed_oil

Realistically if Tambo is somehow fired we are looking at one of MacT, Lowe or Howson as replacements... all brutal or untested options. Also Tambo wont be fired, he might "steo down" for health or family reasons or some such thing.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

At this point I think a wild monkey could do a better job of managing this club so I'm open to pretty much anything outside of this organization.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Ice Whole

Brian Burke. Exactly what this team needs.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Brian Burke. Exactly what this team needs.
Where is this Brian Burke stuff coming from? You guys might as well be talking about how the Oilers need to trade for Crosby. Why in gods name would Kevin Lowe (Head of Hockey Operations) ever hire Burke? Katz will never fire Lowe (though he definitely should) and you can bet a Gajillion dollars right now that Lowe would never, ever hire Burkey.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Here are a few more articles on GM candidates from last year and some info on them..

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...anager-part-1/
(Lowe, Gilman, McGuire, Nill)

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...anager-part-2/
(Fenton, Messier, Gorton)

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...anager-part-3/
(Botterill, Roy, MacGregor, BriseBois)

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...anager-part-4/
(Olczyk, Will, Dudley)

Wouldn't mind Paul Fenton.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Where is this Brian Burke stuff coming from? You guys might as well be talking about how the Oilers need to trade for Crosby. Why in gods name would Kevin Lowe (Head of Hockey Operations) ever hire Burke? Katz will never fire Lowe (though he definitely should) and you can bed a Gajillion dollars right now that Lowe would never, ever hire Burkey.
Exactly my take on it.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Paralyzer008

This is my list, once again:
Jim Nill
Stu MacGregor
Doug Riseborough
Rick Dudley
Paul Fenton
Jeff Gorton
Brad Treliving
Jason Botterill

You hire the guy with the best interview and best fit from that list.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote