vCash: 500
i love him and dislike him at the same time

Old
04-15-2013, 05:59 PM
DucksFanDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
And once more for those of you who still don't get it...It's not what he did, it's how he did it. Maybe if you weren't a kid when it happened you would better understand that.
If you call 32 being a kid, then yes, I was a kid when he made the decision to leave. But to hate the guy 10 years after the fact, after the team won a Cup without him, just seems a bit childish to me.

And it's one thing to be disappointed with the way he left Soj, but another to flat out hate the guy and speak of him with complete vitriol.

Even more pathetic, when a person from outside comes in and tries to start a conversation about this topic and give their point of view, they are all but told to **** because they couldn't possibly know anything about the "inside feelings" of Mighty Duckland.

It's embarrassing to see how 10 years later, some people still harbor such ill will towards a player that was the face of this franchise for so many years.

Do not retire #9. Only number I think should be in the rafters any time soon is #8, possibly #35 and #27.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksFanDFW View Post
If you call 32 being a kid, then yes, I was a kid when he made the decision to leave. But to hate the guy 10 years after the fact, after the team won a Cup without him, just seems a bit childish to me.

And it's one thing to be disappointed with the way he left Soj, but another to flat out hate the guy and speak of him with complete vitriol.

Even more pathetic, when a person from outside comes in and tries to start a conversation about this topic and give their point of view, they are all but told to **** because they couldn't possibly know anything about the "inside feelings" of Mighty Duckland.

It's embarrassing to see how 10 years later, some people still harbor such ill will towards a player that was the face of this franchise for so many years.

Do not retire #9. Only number I think should be in the rafters any time soon is #8, possibly #35 and #27.
An individual who wasn't a fan of the organization at the time, and can't even accurately recount what happened?

Speaking of vitriol, you seem to have quite a bit for people who don't share your opinion on Kariya.

04-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Starkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
At this point, it really isn't a matter of opinion, Starkiller. It's a fact. Giguere was the single biggest reason Anaheim went to Game 7 of the Cup Finals.

As for Kariya wanting to be paid for what he felt his market value was, the facts do not support you here. Paul Kariya signed a one year contract worth $1.2 million with Colorado. Again, this is an example of you not being particularly well informed about the situation.

The fact is that Paul Kariya was the Captain of the team, and wearing the C involves a little more than just offensive numbers. The fact is that Paul Kariya made a public declaration that the Ducks would be back, but with different results this time. And the fact is that when it came time to back up his words, he went to Colorado, for significantly less money. I don't care how exciting a player he is, that is going to leave a bitter taste in a lot of mouths, and you can't simply take emotion out of this. Paul Kariya was a terrific player, but getting your number retired is more than just being a great player. It's about the legacy of a player, and of his legacy with a franchise. What is Paul Kariya's legacy? What do people in Anaheim remember most about him right now? For many, I think they remember the way he left, and while that is the case I don't think he will have his number retired. I don't think he deserves to have his number retired.
He was a UFA, and the Ducks didnt want to pay him what he was asking, they wanted him to take a paycut, that probably didnt sit well with him obviously, so he basically played for nothing signing a 1 yr deal with colorado that was a package deal only so he could play with his Best Friend, Selanne. They wanted to play together on that certain team and Selanne happened to be a FA as well, probably a once in a lifetime shot situation.

i see most fans are aknowledging the Type of Player he was on the ICE for the Ducks, which i was curious about. but a lot of fans dont want to cement his legacy with the team. It kind of reminds of the Cleveland Cavs and Lebron Situation(Great Player) except Cleveland was willing to pay him everything he wanted to keep their franchise player.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:

I don't lose a minute of sleep thinking about PK. I don't hate him either. But when this topic gets brought up I have an opinion. He doesn't deserve to be honored and my opinion won't change. Don't ask me about Paul and you will never hear me mention him.

Someone coming in here wanting to stir this **** with Ducks' fans should do some searches first. Doing so would show the topic covered quite well in previous thead(s). The research would pretty much show the split on this issue. At that point an outsider would have his answer. There was no need for this thread unless one was looking to stir **** with another outside fan base.

Try going to the EDM board and starting a thread asking people how they feel about Gretzky being traded. Ask them if it wasn't for the better good of hockey that he be traded to LA. See how that goes over.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Starkiller

Quote:

well said man. thats a great answer, i am learning more about the situation from the duck nation.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Starkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I don't lose a minute of sleep thinking about PK. I don't hate him either. But when this topic gets brought up I have an opinion. He doesn't deserve to be honored and my opinion won't change. Don't ask me about Paul and you will never hear me mention him.

Someone coming in here wanting to stir this **** with Ducks' fans should do some searches first. Doing so would show the topic covered quite well in previous thead(s). The research would pretty much show the split on this issue. At that point an outsider would have his answer. There was no need for this thread unless one was looking to stir **** with another outside fan base.

Try going to the EDM board and starting a thread asking people how they feel about Gretzky being traded. Ask them if it wasn't for the better good of hockey that he be traded to LA. See how that goes over.

absolutely not, i didnt come here to stir up ****. Paul Kariya meant a lot to me for the game of hockey, like i said i watched him before he played a game for the ducks, i was already a fan of his. Now that he is retired, and the Ducks actually did better with out him with that great Stanley Cup Team(had Kariya Stayed, probably wouldnt have a championship) I just wanted to hear from the people that actually watched him play. I dont know what the hockey market was like out in Duckland during those years in the 90s. Obviously in Canada, esspecially in the Toronto Area is Huge.

I appreciate all the feed back.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Okay. With all due respect, this thread is going nowhere fast. This is really about how Anaheim fans feel, and not about how neutral fans feel.

Closed Thread