HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrioch: Ken King Moving On

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2013, 03:01 PM
  #26
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,144
vCash: 50
Guys, keep in mind, it IS Garrioch.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:05 PM
  #27
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,642
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I believe his quote was if we do a Edmonton style rebuild they better find a new gm. He isn't against rebuilding he is against sucking for years with no attempt to get better except the draft.
He didn't elucidate it that far, but yeah okay, his comment seems to be along those lines. The exact quote:

Quote:
“I’m sorry — Edmonton finished where last year, caller? Want to wager on where we finish relative to Edmonton this year? I’m tired of this question, I’ll tell you very honestly. I’m getting a little sour. How many teams . . . every year, for the last 10 years, five years, eight years, have finished in the bottom five, bottom seven, bottom 10? They’ve had a pick anywhere from No. 1 to No. 10 year after year after year after year, and they still wander in the desert. And they’re no closer to getting out than they were 10 years ago.
“You know what? I look forward to the Battle of Alberta for the next X number of years. If the idea is, ‘Burn it to the ground,’ then Ken can find another manager to do it.”

- Jay Feaster, Flamers GM, September 1, 2011
Although, one could argue that by trading the teams best forward, its best defensemen and likely losing their best goalie to retirement, while accumulating multiple first round draft picks in favour of NHL ready prospects, it constitutes a scorched earth policy, particularly if any or all of Tanguay, Cammalleri, Jackman, Wideman, and Stajan are moved in the off season.

And Feaster's disingenuity with regards to calling it a rebuild doesn't do him any favors. Nor his blind belief that the team was a legitimate playoff contender. Now, if one suggests that he only said those things because he was forced to and that they were in accordance with the demands of Edwards, well, that's not exactly complimentary either. Who wants a puppet for a GM?

In the end, he's either a sad little puppet, or a wholly incompetent, lumbering fool that thought a small, skilled and generally soft team can compete in the big, tough and gritty Western conference. And then there's the ROR debacle and the failure to get a written list of teams from Iginla. Really, the only facet in which Flames have shown a significant improvement in is drafting and Weisbrod's in charge of that. And with his idiotic comments every so often, he can't even be a good PR front.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:09 PM
  #28
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,642
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
The Flames aren't rebuilding. We're retooling.
Not anymore.

Quote:
Jay Feaster does not want to argue semantics or word choice when it comes to describing the dismantling of the Calgary Flames.

The general manager will no longer **** an eyebrow or debate the matter should anyone label the process a rebuild.

Because, in reality, that’s exactly what this is with the Flames in full fire-sale mode down at the Scotiabank Saddledome.

The rebuild is in full force

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:12 PM
  #29
Nordberg
Registered User
 
Nordberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Landskrona
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Hot damn. I must've not gotten the memo.

This draft is looking to me like it's going to be the most important in team history. Feaster really doesn't inspire much confidence these days. I only hope we'll be okay.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:13 PM
  #30
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
He didn't elucidate it that far, but yeah okay, his comment seems to be along those lines. The exact quote:



Although, one could argue that by trading the teams best forward, its best defensemen and likely losing their best goalie to retirement, while accumulating multiple first round draft picks in favour of NHL ready prospects, it constitutes a scorched earth policy, particularly if any or all of Tanguay, Cammalleri, Jackman, Wideman, and Stajan are moved in the off season.

And Feaster's disingenuity with regards to calling it a rebuild doesn't do him any favors. Nor his blind belief that the team was a legitimate playoff contender. Now, if one suggests that he only said those things because he was forced to and that they were in accordance with the demands of Edwards, well, that's not exactly complimentary either. Who wants a puppet for a GM?

In the end, he's either a sad little puppet, or a wholly incompetent, lumbering fool that thought a small, skilled and generally soft team can compete in the big, tough and gritty Western conference. And then there's the ROR debacle and the failure to get a written list of teams from Iginla. Really, the only facet in which Flames have shown a significant improvement in is drafting and Weisbrod's in charge of that. And with his idiotic comments every so often, he can't even be a good PR front.
Like I said Feaster doesn't want to simply sit by and watch his team constantly lose. He doesn't believe in rebuilding trough a decade of suck. Personally I agree with him, it is pretty clear we are going to use this draft to try and get some real talent, and the prospects he targeted are mostly nhl ready which leads me to believe that with a few UFA signings we will be trying to make the playoffs again next year.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:26 PM
  #31
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,642
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Like I said Feaster doesn't want to simply sit by and watch his team constantly lose. He doesn't believe in rebuilding trough a decade of suck. Personally I agree with him, it is pretty clear we are going to use this draft to try and get some real talent, and the prospects he targeted are mostly nhl ready which leads me to believe that with a few UFA signings we will be trying to make the playoffs again next year.
The Flames should be trying to make the playoffs next year, but under no circumstances should it be 'playoffs or bust,' as it was in previous years, particularly under D.Sutter.

No team actually rebuilds for ten years; that just doesn't happen. What actually occurs is a 2-4 years of delusion, where the organization refuses to accept what it actually is, but instead continues to try and go for it. It's only after that do that initiate changes, at which point, they need 3-5 years for the actual accumulation of top tier talent, and the necessary depth to field a winner.

And the thing is, the Flames have already missed the playoffs for 3 straight years. They're on their way to a fourth, while only now initiating changes. Barring several miraculous developments and additions, the Flames are not going to make the playoffs next year, especially with the new conference structure. And most likely, not the year after either. So that's 5-6 years of no playoffs. And it's quite possible that it takes even longer for the Flames to actually get better, since there's no guarantee all the prospects they pick pan out.

I don't disagree with the Feaster's most recent sentiments, I just don't see how he, given his reputation and record as the GM in Calgary, can remain on the job especially where there are so many better candidates out there.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:48 PM
  #32
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,788
vCash: 1508
I have a feeling Ken King isn't leaving the organization. I could see him being named president of the "Calgary Flames Sports Media Partnership" or whatever it winds up being called, overseeing the Flames, Hitmen, Roughnecks, Stampeders, etc.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:06 AM
  #33
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
YES! This is the best day all year

Hopefully Feaster takes King's spot and we bring in Burke.
Garrioch "reporting" this really means its just a fabrication on the part of Garrioch. Biggest hack in sports journalism. I cannot fathom the dirt he has over his bosses to still have a job.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:13 AM
  #34
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild
 
FLAMES666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,346
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Garrioch "reporting" this really means its just a fabrication on the part of Garrioch. Biggest hack in sports journalism. I cannot fathom the dirt he has over his bosses to still have a job.
He is ******, but I still hope its true

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:57 AM
  #35
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
Hot damn. I must've not gotten the memo.

This draft is looking to me like it's going to be the most important in team history. Feaster really doesn't inspire much confidence these days. I only hope we'll be okay.
Feaster has also said he didn't want to label it as a rebuild because of the stigma it has because of recent years in Edmonton. Which is why he was trying to give it different label.

As for the confidence people have in him right now, I think the problem was a combination the media and the NMCs. The media raised expectations on possible returns, but the NMCs and short lists that came with them reduced the value. When it comes to the draft Feaster seems pretty hands off, he has said that is the day for Weisbrod and his scouting staff to shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
He is ******, but I still hope its true
Not me.

I hope King moves further to the business side of things and oversees the Flames sports conglomerate, which would keep him further from day to day Flames operations but still see the Flames (as well as the Stamps, Roughnecks and Hitmen) benefit from him business smarts.

I think King deserves more respect than he gets, I truly believe without him coming into the fold the Calgary Flames would not exist today.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:15 AM
  #36
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Feaster has also said he didn't want to label it as a rebuild because of the stigma it has because of recent years in Edmonton. Which is why he was trying to give it different label.

As for the confidence people have in him right now, I think the problem was a combination the media and the NMCs. The media raised expectations on possible returns, but the NMCs and short lists that came with them reduced the value. When it comes to the draft Feaster seems pretty hands off, he has said that is the day for Weisbrod and his scouting staff to shine.

Not me.

I hope King moves further to the business side of things and oversees the Flames sports conglomerate, which would keep him further from day to day Flames operations but still see the Flames (as well as the Stamps, Roughnecks and Hitmen) benefit from him business smarts.

I think King deserves more respect than he gets, I truly believe without him coming into the fold the Calgary Flames would not exist today.

If we do keep King I want him as far away from the Flames as possible. He is a good businessman but a terrible hockey person.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:40 AM
  #37
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
If we do keep King I want him as far away from the Flames as possible. He is a good businessman but a terrible hockey person.
except there is no actual proof King is getting involved in the GMs duties. It's just pure speculation.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:22 AM
  #38
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,895
vCash: 67
Well that was exciting for half a day. Too bad it was probably ********!

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:35 AM
  #39
Haatley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,966
vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
YES! This is the best day all year

Hopefully Feaster takes King's spot and we bring in Burke.
Stop.
Rumour is burke to dallas.
And thank god for that. He is a horrible gm.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:48 AM
  #40
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Stop.
Rumour is burke to dallas.
And thank god for that. He is a horrible gm.
Ignorance is bliss. Just because you tell yourself something doesn't mean it's true.

Burke is and would be a better GM than Feaster and Sutter.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:12 AM
  #41
Shawnofthedeadz
Registered User
 
Shawnofthedeadz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 190
vCash: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Stop.
Rumour is burke to dallas.
And thank god for that. He is a horrible gm.
I agree, don't know where the Burke love came from all of a sudden on these boards but I do not want him running the Flames.

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
  #42
Haatley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,966
vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Ignorance is bliss. Just because you tell yourself something doesn't mean it's true.

Burke is and would be a better GM than Feaster and Sutter.
I live in toronto and lived here throughout his tenure. Namea move he made other than gardiner trade that really benefitted the rebuild in toronto. Funny thing is, when toronto was losing and getting lottery picks, burke thought he was icing a winning team (hence the kessel trade). The guy is a disaster.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:31 PM
  #43
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild
 
FLAMES666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,346
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
except there is no actual proof King is getting involved in the GMs duties. It's just pure speculation.
The thing that has bothered me about King is the amount of support he gave past failure. I don't think he was involved in hockey moves but he was one of the first to defend past moves that crippled this team. That being said he is a great business man in selling his product but over the last few years I just find myself thinking this guy really needs to shut up whenever he opens his mouth. He's kind of full of ****.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:31 PM
  #44
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,788
vCash: 1508
One thing to remember - before King arrived here, this organization was in shambles - both the business and hockey aspects of the team. (The Flames nearly moved to Oklahoma City for crying out loud.

While he's not done much to help (or hurt) the hockey side, he's completely turned around the business side of the organization. (yes, a stronger dollar has helped)

If King is leaving, it is because he wants to leave. Or it's because he's getting a promotion as I mentioned earlier.


Or it's just Garrioch telling stories again.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:59 PM
  #45
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Stop.
Rumour is burke to dallas.
And thank god for that. He is a horrible gm.
Must suck, built the Canucks,Leafs, and won the cup in Anaheim yea looks terrible.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:24 PM
  #46
Haatley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,966
vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Must suck, built the Canucks,Leafs, and won the cup in Anaheim yea looks terrible.
The leafs are a real contender.
Only impressive thing he ever did was land both sedins.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:40 PM
  #47
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
The thing that has bothered me about King is the amount of support he gave past failure. I don't think he was involved in hockey moves but he was one of the first to defend past moves that crippled this team. That being said he is a great business man in selling his product but over the last few years I just find myself thinking this guy really needs to shut up whenever he opens his mouth. He's kind of full of ****.
Do you expect him to just trash his GM and other personnel? He has to maintain a public image and not defending moves (even if he dislikes them) is something he has to do.

Also what salesman isn't full of ****? It's basically #1 in their job description.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:34 PM
  #48
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 50
Burke would make Feaster his ***** if he was his boss. Burke can do both jobs IMO.

Burke would arguably be the best GM the Flames have ever had. One thing would be clear in that the man would have an actual plan.

Also, congrats on becoming a MOD Stewie. You'll do a great job!


Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 04-17-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:40 PM
  #49
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
except there is no actual proof King is getting involved in the GMs duties. It's just pure speculation.
There is proof. At least if you consider King and Feaster's word proof. Both outright said King and Edwards were very involved in the decision to move Iginla.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
  #50
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,570
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
One thing to remember - before King arrived here, this organization was in shambles - both the business and hockey aspects of the team. (The Flames nearly moved to Oklahoma City for crying out loud.

While he's not done much to help (or hurt) the hockey side, he's completely turned around the business side of the organization. (yes, a stronger dollar has helped)

If King is leaving, it is because he wants to leave. Or it's because he's getting a promotion as I mentioned earlier.


Or it's just Garrioch telling stories again.
Very true. Doesn't mean he should stay though.

You can say similar things about Sutter when he arrived as coach, and slowly things went downhill. Kind of how I feel about King at this point.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.