HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Was Drew Doughty actually struggling?

Old
04-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Yog S'loth

vCash: 500
There's no doubt he was struggling at the beginning of the year at both ends of the ice.

Don't forget that a month into the season, he was dead last in the NHL with a -10 rating. Watching him, I was more concerned about his mistakes in his own zone that the lack of goals. He has too much natural ability to not generate offense eventually... but the turnovers were killing us.

There's also little doubt he's turned it around at both ends of the ice. As the Kings go, so goes Doughty.

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:26 PM
bottompairingdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
Doughty has been forced to play a stay at home D style on season with Mitchell and Greene being out. Now that RR is in the lineup, he can finally add a little offense to his game...its no coincidence that hes doing what hes doing at this point.
This.. I'm not a Kings fan but I've said this a few times in the D-man polls

bottompairingdman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

He was never struggling.

Trance Kuja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:50 PM
serenity now

He has been the best shutdown D man in the league this year. Period. The arrival of Regher has allowed him to return to his normal role which still in not in the Green/ Karlsson mode. I don't know of another defensemen in the league that could excell at both types of roles in the same season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post
Yes, he had been struggling for several years at that. Six games isn't going to change that.

The fact is he was drafted 2nd overall and if he needs a specific type of partner to excel than you have to concede he has limitations. Looking back on the draft, there are several defenseman I would take over him.

This is awesome!

The only people who say this are the fantasy hockey geeks who only look at how many pretend points a player gets and value him solely on those statistics rather than actually watching the games and viewing the results.

I guarantee you that if Steve Yzerman called Dean Lombardi today and said he would trade Stamkos straight up for Doughty, Lombardi would politely say "No Thanks". That doesn't mean that Stamkos is not one of the best players in the NHL but the fact remains, Doughty plays an important role in helping a team win multiple championships over the next few years. Forget about Stamkos, Go ahead and add Karlsson, Subban, Weber, Chara, Peitrangelo etc.

I have watched virtually every game he has played since he has been drafted (60% in person). Drew Doughty is having his best season as a pro. Will he win the Norris? Probably not but he doesn't care (& neither do his bosses or King fans). He can't hear any of the Doughty sucks talk because he would have to remove his Stanley Cup ring from one ear and his Olympic Gold Medal from the other ear.

serenity now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
Doughty is one of the most flexible defensemen in the league and on par with Weber (another underrated D). Those two are the best in the league IMO. I'd take em over Karlsson any day.

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:56 PM
serenity now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Doughty is one of the most flexible defensemen in the league and on par with Weber (another underrated D). Those two are the best in the league IMO. I'd take em over Karlsson any day.
Well said

When Canada lines up in Sochi next year, Doughty and Weber will be on the ice together when the gold medal game starts.

serenity now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

He wasnt struggling defensively early on though he still made the odd boneheaded play perhaps from playing too much.

I would say he was struggling offensively. Its possible his offense at even strength may have affected due to increased defensive responsibilities but it shouldnt when it come to the PP. From the Kings games Ive seen this season Doughty was struggling on the PP and Voynov was much better at running the PP for most of the season.

Evincar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

He's been playing better offensively since this girl:

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:00 PM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity now View Post

This is awesome!

The only people who say this are the fantasy hockey geeks who only look at how many pretend points a player gets and value him solely on those statistics rather than actually watching the games and viewing the results.

I guarantee you that if Steve Yzerman called Dean Lombardi today and said he would trade Stamkos straight up for Doughty, Lombardi would politely say "No Thanks". That doesn't mean that Stamkos is not one of the best players in the NHL but the fact remains, Doughty plays an important role in helping a team win multiple championships over the next few years. Forget about Stamkos, Go ahead and add Karlsson, Subban, Weber, Chara, Peitrangelo etc.

I have watched virtually every game he has played since he has been drafted (60% in person). Drew Doughty is having his best season as a pro. Will he win the Norris? Probably not but he doesn't care (& neither do his bosses or King fans). He can't hear any of the Doughty sucks talk because he would have to remove his Stanley Cup ring from one ear and his Olympic Gold Medal from the other ear.
WHOA!!! Haha. Kings fan is a kings fan, ay?

What did Doughty eat for breakfast this morning?

Calm down there bucko.

I'm almost positive your boy Lombardi would help Doughty pack his bags if Stevie ever called asking for a one for one trade Stammer for Doughty.

loLZokAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
He's been playing better offensively since this girl:

He has moobies.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Pietrangelo and Karlsson... There are two. Not several.
Still can't figure out what this guy has done to constantly get rated ahead of Doughty.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
rajuabju

Anyone who actually watches the Kings play, instead of a quick review of the box scores will explain the fact that having 2 of our 3 shutdown, stay at home defenseman out of the lineup for the entire season has forced Doughty to play a MUCH more defensive minded game.

In my opinion, he hasnt struggled at all. he's been showing every one he can take on any role asked of him, and perform quite well.

He's shined bright like a diamond.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:28 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Yes, he struggled early while being paired with every single new defensemen the Kings would bring in to try and replace Mitchell and Greene. Sutter made him grow up quickly and be the vet of his pairing and it was a good learning lesson for him. Doughty made both Ellerby and Muzzin look better than they actually are. That being said, it's just Drew being Drew. He's turning it on now and the games are becoming bigger down the stretch and the playoffs will soon be upon us. It's not like that guy shines on the big stage or anything.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Still can't figure out what this guy has done to constantly get rated ahead of Doughty.
Not to mention he's having a poor season. I like Pietrangelo, but Doughty was and is a better defenseman until he proves otherwise.

Trance Kuja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Pietrangelo and Karlsson... There are two. Not several.

Pietrangelo has been''struggling'' a bit too... Unneeded.
Meh, Doughty is much more physical than either one of those two guys.

I'll stick with Drew. He manned up and played the role the team needed him to play earlier in the season and covered up for a lot of the mistakes made by his rookie partner Jake Muzzin.

Now that he has a vet in Regehr as his partner, Doughty is rushing the puck much more and he is showing up on the scoresheet.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Him and OEL as well.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:27 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopiterror View Post
Drew Doughty has 6 points in his last 6 games (4G, 2A) and is looking very scary offensively once again. His offensive resurgence coincides precisely with the arrival of Robyn Regehr, which seems somewhat interesting to me. My question for you is this:

Was Drew Doughty actually struggling offensively for much of the year, or was he merely playing a style which did not allow him to accrue goals and points?

As for my own take, I really did think he struggled offensively early on in the year. However, it's hard to ignore the fact that he has already scored 4 goals so soon after the arrival of a true stay at home D-man. It makes me wonder what his numbers would look like, if Regehr had been here all year.
you lose 2 of your toughest d men. doughty realized he had to be the shut down guy and so he stayed back, letting the forwards carry it up. he wasn't jumping into the play. now that he's got a d man who is similar to mitch, he feels like he can play like he usually has.

i wouldnt want any other d man in doughty's spot. no one. chara, weber, karlsson included.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:30 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolzokay View Post
whoa!!! Haha. Kings fan is a kings fan, ay?

What did doughty eat for breakfast this morning?

Calm down there bucko.

I'm almost positive your boy lombardi would help doughty pack his bags if stevie ever called asking for a one for one trade stammer for doughty.
fail^^^.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:33 PM
capebretoncanadien

No he was not.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:06 PM
PhxHawkFan
Rookie User

The homerism in this thread is laughable. Calling Doughty the best shutdown defense man is among the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. He was struggling this year, primarily because he was asked to play defense and was awful at it. Is he a strong point-producing defense man? Absolutely, and he has proven that's his strength. But to say he did anything other than blow for most of this year is simply not true, and that stats prove it.

That said, Karlsson blows him away in points, it's not even a competition, and Doughty as mentioned is terrible at playing defense..... so I'm not sure why you would take him over Karlsson.

This is also neglecting that fact that Doughty has built himself a reputation of diving and cheapshotting as well... not the kind of guy you want on your team.

PhxHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxHawkFan View Post
The homerism in this thread is laughable. Calling Doughty the best shutdown defense man is among the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. He was struggling this year, primarily because he was asked to play defense and was awful at it. Is he a strong point-producing defense man? Absolutely, and he has proven that's his strength. But to say he did anything other than blow for most of this year is simply not true, and that stats prove it.

That said, Karlsson blows him away in points, it's not even a competition, and Doughty as mentioned is terrible at playing defense..... so I'm not sure why you would take him over Karlsson.

This is also neglecting that fact that Doughty has built himself a reputation of diving and cheapshotting as well... not the kind of guy you want on your team.

So. Much. Fail.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:21 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Outscored him the past 2 years? Finished higher in the Norris voting last year? Doesn't make it true, but don't play stupid.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxHawkFan View Post

Phoenix fan commenting on LA. No homerism there at all

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Sounds like he was being asked to play Phaneuf's minutes but with better players around him.

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:25 PM
MastuhNinks

People underestimate how difficult it is to put up elite numbers as a defensemen while also carrying the load defensively.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote