HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Two Explosions @ Boston Marathon: Suspect #2 in Custody MOD WARNING IN OP

Old
04-19-2013, 03:25 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I was certain that I had read that he was surrounded and the police were waiting for the sun to rise to go in, was he not there?
They set up a giant perimeter, and they've apparently covered about 75% of its area.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I was certain that I had read that he was surrounded and the police were waiting for the sun to rise to go in, was he not there?
Not too sure about that; maybe it was a false alarm? All I know is that the entire city of Boston has been locked down, and they're still trying to find the guy.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

If anyone is bored, the thread on the Bruins board is surreal. Pages are going up as fast as any GDT I've seen. People have been up for almost 24 hours waiting to see what happens. Some interesting links too with pictures of the one dead guy and the huge gouge in is head.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

According to the press conference, the cops had him but the kid ditched his car and ran away from them.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
According to the press conference, the cops had him but the kid ditched his car and ran away from them.
was this right after the initial gunfight with police before the set up a good perimeter? Or did he manage to slip through the perimeter on foot?

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:08 PM
WinterEmpire
Praise Dalpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Isn't that what Dorner did as well to escape? Strange that the cops wouldn't be able to pick some one up in these scenarios

WinterEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:12 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Isn't that what Dorner did as well to escape? Strange that the cops wouldn't be able to pick some one up in these scenarios
These are American cops we're talking about...

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:21 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
These are American cops we're talking about...
He's got a delta on his back...

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:51 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
If anyone is bored, the thread on the Bruins board is surreal. Pages are going up as fast as any GDT I've seen. People have been up for almost 24 hours waiting to see what happens. Some interesting links too with pictures of the one dead guy and the huge gouge in is head.
Link for the dead guy photo?

Edit: nvm. Found. Wow

Last edited by LiquidSnake: 04-19-2013 at 07:59 PM.
LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

wow, hard day for that family...

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:09 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRoad View Post
He's got a delta on his back...
Oops, maybe this is a better example of the elite FBI Task Force:

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:14 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Suspect is in custody. It's over...at least for now.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:24 PM
The Poacher

Man I was listening to the Boston police scanner while all this was unfolding and it was just crazy intense.

The Poacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 08:52 PM
canuck4life16
Anti-tank campaign

suspect in hospital for injury.........it not over until the motive comes out

canuck4life16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
I'm surprised the guy didn't suicide. I know suiciding is against their religion but if he wanted he could of easily gotten the cops to shoot him.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

Just glad to hear the guy got caught.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
suspect in hospital for injury.........it not over until the motive comes out
Well, they are ethnic Chechens and Muslims born in Chechnya. Later, according to their father, they moved to Kyrgyzstan where they were persecuted for being Chechens. They went over to the US, where one was a naturalized citizen and the other on a valid green card. One of the brothers had complained online about having no American friends, and didn't understand them.

Chechnya was involved in two wars of independence against Russia, and is now heavily patrolled by Russia. During the first war, there was plenty of support in the west for their cause due to antiquated Cold War thinking. Many 'foreign fighters' in Iraq and Afghanistan came from Chechnya, and there are plenty of Al Qaeda links there. The Beslan School hostage crisis/massacre was committed mostly by Chechen Islamist separatists. Freedom House listed Chechnya in 2009 as one of the 'worst of the worst' repressive societies in the world.

I'm assuming their motive had to do with their background. Really the only question I have is whether or not they had support from Al Qaeda or other terrorist groups, or were they just pulling a lone wolf operation?

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:11 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Well, they are ethnic Chechens and Muslims born in Chechnya. Later, according to their father, they moved to Kyrgyzstan where they were persecuted for being Chechens. They went over to the US, where one was a naturalized citizen and the other on a valid green card. One of the brothers had complained online about having no American friends, and didn't understand them.

Chechnya was involved in two wars of independence against Russia, and is now heavily patrolled by Russia. During the first war, there was plenty of support in the west for their cause due to antiquated Cold War thinking. Many 'foreign fighters' in Iraq and Afghanistan came from Chechnya, and there are plenty of Al Qaeda links there. The Beslan School hostage crisis/massacre was committed mostly by Chechen Islamist separatists. Freedom House listed Chechnya in 2009 as one of the 'worst of the worst' repressive societies in the world.

I'm assuming their motive had to do with their background. Really the only question I have is whether or not they had support from Al Qaeda or other terrorist groups, or were they just pulling a lone wolf operation?
IMO, this was an operation conducted by radical extremists working outside the framework of an established terrorist organization. You look at the rudimentary nature of their explosive devices and the lack of an escape plan after the attack. If the attack was being coordinated by an actual terrorist organization, you would have likely seen more elaborate bombs and the militants would have likely either martyred themselves in the original attack or have staged additional attacks while trying to evade authorities.

Based off my experience, this operation seems pretty bush-league. Maybe the older brother got some guidance from Islamic militants when he returned to live in Chechnya (although even this would surprise me), but I would be pretty surprised if this attack was being coordinated by AQ or any of their affiliate organizations.

BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Really the only question I have is whether or not they had support from Al Qaeda or other terrorist groups, or were they just pulling a lone wolf operation?
My uninformed sense is that these two were disgruntled and felt isolated (or made themselves so) and lashed out. Religion and/or culture, if they play a part, were merely excuses.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
My uninformed sense is that these two were disgruntled and felt isolated (or made themselves so) and lashed out. Religion and/or culture, if they play a part, were merely excuses.
It's sad that the media really have latched on to their ethnicity. It was never questioned if James Holmes was of Irish or Scotish decent. The horror or if Adam Lanza had family ties to some other mostly Caucasian European nation.

A family member of mine who is an American put a picture up on Facebook of a Tshirt for sale that said: "America" Hide and Seek Champs" "You can run but you cant hide" And on either side of the silhouetted trophy was a picture of Bin Laden and a picture of the 19 year old kid from Boston. He had commented: "We Win!!!"

I was like really? Is this humourous? I lost it. He tried to scold me for my sensitivities. I tried to ask who the real winner was as I was confused. Unreal.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:36 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
IMO, this was an operation conducted by radical extremists working outside the framework of an established terrorist organization. You look at the rudimentary nature of their explosive devices and the lack of an escape plan after the attack. If the attack was being coordinated by an actual terrorist organization, you would have likely seen more elaborate bombs and the militants would have likely either martyred themselves in the original attack or have staged additional attacks while trying to evade authorities.

Based off my experience, this operation seems pretty bush-league. Maybe the older brother got some guidance from Islamic militants when he returned to live in Chechnya (although even this would surprise me), but I would be pretty surprised if this attack was being coordinated by AQ or any of their affiliate organizations.
It's certainly looking like they were just lone wolfing it. Like you said, they didn't commit suicide in the attack. Obviously they had no escape plan and inexplicably hung out in the Boston area for days. It's like they assumed they had gotten away with it, saw their faces in the media and panicked and had no Plan B. I'm not sure why they killed the campus cop, or why they claimed to be the marathon bombers to their carjacking victim, or for that matter allowed their victim to escape. The whole thing has bush-league written all over it.

If it was AQ, they scraped the bottom of the barrel to find these bozos. I think it was telling that AQ didn't claim responsibility for the attack. I doubt there was any real link here too.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:36 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Wouldn't be surprised if the younger brother just got sucked along by the older radical brother.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
It's sad that the media really have latched on to their ethnicity. It was never questioned if James Holmes was of Irish or Scotish decent. The horror or if Adam Lanza had family ties to some other mostly Caucasian European nation.

A family member of mine who is an American put a picture up on Facebook of a Tshirt for sale that said: "America" Hide and Seek Champs" "You can run but you cant hide" And on either side of the silhouetted trophy was a picture of Bin Laden and a picture of the 19 year old kid from Boston. He had commented: "We Win!!!"

I was like really? Is this humourous? I lost it. He tried to scold me for my sensitivities. I tried to ask who the real winner was as I was confused. Unreal.
It wasn't just ethnicity, they were born in Chechnya, moved to Kyrgyzstan where they were persecuted for being Chechen. If you paid any attention to world events you'd know that Chechnya is a terrorist hotbed.

As for the T-shirt, who cares? The Americans picked the low hanging fruit with this capture, let them have their gloating moment.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if the younger brother just got sucked along by the older radical brother.
If thats the case, why not turn himself in right away, explain the situation, and he might not get life in prison or death.

The penalty could have been lowered, now there is an officer also dead, more hurt people, and a giant **** show.

No sympathy.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:30 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
If thats the case, why not turn himself in right away, explain the situation, and he might not get life in prison or death.

The penalty could have been lowered, now there is an officer also dead, more hurt people, and a giant **** show.

No sympathy.
He wasn't going to get his penalty lowered by turning himself in. He carried one of the backpack bombs. I'm just surprised that they didn't make plans for a getaway.