HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 Pt XXXIII: Why is the world the way it is?

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 500
Is everything a 1/3 more expensive in Hawaii?

Old
05-17-2013, 10:35 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
Is everything a 1/3 more expensive in Hawaii?
Not everything, but close enough. Grocery shopping can be a bit of a shock. It's either the prices that get you, or the hideous condition of the produce. Perishable items are usually on the high end of prices. You can negate the prices by going to Costco, but buying gas will still suck. Fast food chains really had no difference in pricing from what I could tell. Then again, I only go to the Pizza Hut in Haleiwa and Starbucks at the Foodland in Pupukea (technically Haleiwa).

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Old
05-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Not everything, but close enough. Grocery shopping can be a bit of a shock. It's either the prices that get you, or the hideous condition of the produce. Perishable items are usually on the high end of prices. You can negate the prices by going to Costco, but buying gas will still suck. Fast food chains really had no difference in pricing from what I could tell. Then again, I only go to the Pizza Hut in Haleiwa and Starbucks at the Foodland in Pupukea (technically Haleiwa).

I've been thinking about either going to Iceland or Hawaii.

After seeing the coverage of CCP it made me really want to go there.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:52 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I've never once seen him out of the 20+ times I've been there. Then again, I leave Honolulu ASAP and go north. Just make sure not to say anything that sounds like kefe or tefe when you're in the company of big Samoans or some moke is gonna ask if you like beef. You won't like beef.
Last time we went, we didn't really get to the north. We regrettably didn't rent a car and while the bus got us to many places that we wanted to go, it took too long to get anywhere on it.

I'm hoping to spend some time there next year(with a rental car).

Old
05-17-2013, 10:57 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
I've been thinking about either going to Iceland or Hawaii.

After seeing the coverage of CCP it made me really want to go there.

Baldursgata? That's badass

What a dream for a classical musician. I bet that's a major brag to say they're in the EVE Online Orchestra.

GOONS! Evil...

I've been wanting to try that fermented shark. I don't know why, but I do.

What was that garbage that they rubbed on their faces? The hell?

No comment on the museum. Though I found it awesome that they included Esperanto in the translations

Doritos: Cool American? **** yeah 'Merica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefunnel View Post
Last time we went, we didn't really get to the north. We regrettably didn't rent a car and while the bus got us to many places that we wanted to go, it took too long to get anywhere on it.

I'm hoping to spend some time there next year(with a rental car).
Definitely get a rental car next time and head up north and east. Beautiful places and far less crowded than anywhere south or west. Safer too. Every time we go there, we put about 1000 miles on the rental car. Just so much to see and cruising along with the water literally 10 feet from your car is just amazing (and I live a block from the beach). Just make sure to take off all of the rental car bar code stickers, except for one in a discreet spot, and leave your car unlocked with no valuables inside it. Sounds funny, but it's better than getting your windows busted and having to drive around in the frequent showers.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I could shave your beard with an old school razor. Promise to be sober and no cuts!
Sounds hot. I'm in.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Baldursgata? That's badass

What a dream for a classical musician. I bet that's a major brag to say they're in the EVE Online Orchestra.

GOONS! Evil...

I've been wanting to try that fermented shark. I don't know why, but I do.

What was that garbage that they rubbed on their faces? The hell?

No comment on the museum. Though I found it awesome that they included Esperanto in the translations

Doritos: Cool American? **** yeah 'Merica!
Its crazy that place is a little viking town but its completely Americanized but not in a bad way. Taco Bells, Cashiers accept USD, They speak english more than Icelandic. I figured I might as well go there or Hawaii, I like surfing though so that's probably Hawaii's main draw for me.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:41 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Sounds hot. I'm in.
Of course you are. It involves an inherent risk, a guy and possibly hot water

Old
05-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Kitten Mittons

Don't judge.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Its crazy that place is a little viking town but its completely Americanized but not in a bad way. Taco Bells, Cashiers accept USD, They speak english more than Icelandic. I figured I might as well go there or Hawaii, I like surfing though so that's probably Hawaii's main draw for me.
Unless you know any locals only spots or are totally fine with surfing in the winter Hawaii is going to suck for surfing with all of the tourists and surfing instruction people out there.

Old
05-18-2013, 07:15 PM
KirbyDots

http://hyperallergic.com/71393/beer-...r-john-walker/

Good interview with my professor and friend John Walker. A great painter and wonderful teacher.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:56 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Don't judge.
I always judge!

The NBC live sports app is amazing for watching the games btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Unless you know any locals only spots or are totally fine with surfing in the winter Hawaii is going to suck for surfing with all of the tourists and surfing instruction people out there.
The surf is insane right now. Best of the year they keep saying. At the beach where my hotel is there is chest to head high break that is 20 from shore. Mostly body boarders there. Super dangerous for the dumb drunk tourists though

Old
05-19-2013, 02:57 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I'm always there for about 2-3 weeks in the winter. I usually go from Pinballs, up to Sunset Beach, depending on the direction of the swell. I've only surfed Pipe once, and it was a pretty small day or I'd never get a chance (about 1 ft overhead, Hawaiian scale). It helps to have some heavy locs as friends so you don't wait forever on the outside of the lineup. All that took me was 3 straight years of buying kegs for house parties (one in Makaha, too)

Old
05-19-2013, 05:05 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Andrew Garfield uses a break in filming on the set of the next Spider-Man to play basketball with some local kids. In full Spider-Man costume.

That's awesome. Good on him.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 8 GP, 1-5-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
05-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Spider-man was terrible!

Old
05-19-2013, 09:28 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Posted this in the lounge as well, but does anyone have experience going from LAX to Disneyland?
I'm heading down in a few weeks with some friends, but this is the first time I'm going by plane instead of by car. Is there a cost-effective way in getting from LAX to Disneyland? I know LAX offers the Super Shuttle that goes from LAX to all the hotels around Disneyland, but it's $16 per person. With 6 of us, that's going to be pretty pricey. I was wondering if a taxi might even be cheaper, or if there is some airporter service down there like they have up here?

Old
05-19-2013, 09:43 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Posted this in the lounge as well, but does anyone have experience going from LAX to Disneyland?
I'm heading down in a few weeks with some friends, but this is the first time I'm going by plane instead of by car. Is there a cost-effective way in getting from LAX to Disneyland? I know LAX offers the Super Shuttle that goes from LAX to all the hotels around Disneyland, but it's $16 per person. With 6 of us, that's going to be pretty pricey. I was wondering if a taxi might even be cheaper, or if there is some airporter service down there like they have up here?
We just got back. We rented a car though. The shuttle was like 40 round trip, but we have a toddler who needed a car seat so that wouldn't work.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Can HaZ Trainz
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Spider-man was terrible!
In my opinion, The Amazing Spiderman wasn't bad. It just had a more contemporary feel to it along with different aspects that were true to the comics. I really liked the first one directed by Sam Raimi and thought Toby Maguire was a better Peter Parker. On the flip side, Andrew Garfield is a better Spiderman.
imho

Old
05-20-2013, 12:45 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can HaZ Trainz View Post
In my opinion, The Amazing Spiderman wasn't bad. It just had a more contemporary feel to it along with different aspects that were true to the comics. I really liked the first one directed by Sam Raimi and thought Toby Maguire was a better Peter Parker. On the flip side, Andrew Garfield is a better Spiderman.
imho
Thought the movie was pretty terrible, but I agree that Garfield was a better Spiderman. His Spiderman really reminded me of The Spectacular Spiderman.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:36 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can HaZ Trainz View Post
imho
Yah, his wise cracking was better and felt more accurate. Suffice to say, my 3 year old is in love with the Sam Raimi movies and doesn't like the new one, so I'm not sure what that means hehe.

Whenever spiderman isn't on screen (even if Parker is) he goes "Dadda, where spidahman!?"

Old
05-21-2013, 03:36 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Got my 3-day passes to the Ink-N-Iron festival in Long Beach. Ton of great bands, but I'm on cloud 9 to be able to see Rocket From The Crypt perform again. Never thought this day would come after I saw their last show in SD.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:44 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Quote:
I JUST did this a couple of weeks ago with Super Shuttle. It's cheaper if you set your final destination as the Convention Center instead of Disneyland. It's a less than 10 minute walk to DL from there. I think we each paid $30 round trip which I thought was reasonable.

Is anyone here into Geocaching? I want to try it, but am slightly confused about it.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:55 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Renting a car might be cheapest, check the rates. That's what I usually do, but I usually combine the trip with going to Knotts or Magic Mountain the next day, so always need a car.

Old
05-21-2013, 04:01 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Renting a car might be cheapest, check the rates. That's what I usually do, but I usually combine the trip with going to Knotts or Magic Mountain the next day, so always need a car.
It's a 45 minute drive FYI. Bout 35 miles.

Old
05-21-2013, 05:22 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksohnoes! View Post
Is anyone here into Geocaching? I want to try it, but am slightly confused about it.
Kinda did it in the 70s (and I watch interesting segments on TV). What did you want to know?

Closed Thread