HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued)

Old
06-02-2013, 03:09 PM
AngelDuck

vCash: 500
This team is finished!!! Halos are the worst team in the AL. Pujols and Hamilton STINK! The lack of a foreign scouting presence the last 5 years are killing us. Fire the fat lard in the dugout already!!

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:02 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

3-6 vs the astros this year

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Hockey Duckie

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh why do you build me, buttercup? Only just to let me down."

That is the Angels 7th inning stretch song. Sad, isn't it? It's intrinsically built in to fail.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:58 AM
Fighter
Legend

So, our offense who was supposed to be dynamite is unable to score vs the Astros... Totally anemic, bigger of a problem than pitching.

This team is DONE.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:13 PM
TesseracT
Manson's Carnage

Figures when the Halo's are in town it rains all weekend.

Hopefully the storm passes by AM tomorrow.

TesseracT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Hockey Duckie

So for the past two days the MLB draft has been ongoing. So far, the Angels have drafted about 7 pitchers and one catcher, IIRC. The catcher is the only player older than Mike Trout. Here's the sad part, our second round pick (first pick for the Angels because we lost our first round pick due to signing Hamilton) will probably be our #1 prospect in our system. Not our #1 pitching prospect, but our #1 overall prospect. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
06-08-2013, 12:20 AM
jiggsawpuzzle35

Talked with a Marlins scout last week and I ripped the Angels for decimating their farm system and he fully agreed. However I think drafting Green and some of these other pitchers makes the future look a little bit brighter for our farm system say in 3-4 years.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:44 AM
Hockey Duckie

Here's an oddity:

We lost our first round draft pick for signing Hamilton. Yet, we received nothing for losing Torii Hunter. He signed for a hefty price as well. Odd, yes?

Old
06-10-2013, 02:48 AM
AngelDuck

This is the worst team I have ever seen, and I can't believe SZciosca is still in the dugout. That fat piece of **** needed to go 4 years ago. **** YOU PUJOLS **** YOU HAMILTON **** YOU BLANTON

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:40 AM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

You might need to seek help through a therapist to control that rage.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
This is the worst team I have ever seen, and I can't believe SZciosca is still in the dugout. That fat piece of **** needed to go 4 years ago. **** YOU PUJOLS **** YOU HAMILTON **** YOU BLANTON
Blanton gave up 7 runs in six innings (not getting a single out in the sixth). Deserved rage. Hambone did well in the first game of the series, but has been ehh in this last game. Pujols hit a homerun in the first inning of the game. That should have given Blanton some confidence.

As for Sosh... I think his presence is constricting since his peers have gone onto become managers of other teams (that's three managers). The players aren't as loose. But the batting had sucked early last season as well. They fired Mickey and it kinda lit a light. But now the lack of hitting has returned. One factor remains.

Old
06-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Theridion

Blame Mike or not... This is all a personel issue.

For how many years have the Angels had no power? They get kicked out of the playoffs despite good pitching in the late 2010's because they can't hit a homerun to save their life.

Then they sign Pujols.

Now, for seasons (SEASONS) the bullpen has sucked.

They they sign Hammilton.

They have done nothing but try to make the big splash signing.

This roster has been handled with NO finesse. No fine tuning. No picking guys who fit what your team needs. No picking guys who might not be the big name, but have the glove or the bunt or the the left arm or the throwing arm or whatever that would be a valuable asset.

Just buying the most expensive players, back to back to back, doesn't make a good team.

A complete waste of salary, and in hamilton's case, a pick to boot.

Just an utterly useless mish mash of homebrew and hired guns that have no synergy.

And absolutely NO effort to bring in pitching? Starting or relieving? Really?

Its a joke. Its like a 8 year old is given a check book and asked to go shopping for the family and he comes back from the store with 10 bags a candy. Yeah, candy is awesome, but you gotta actually buy people for your team that your team needs.

And a complete lack of useful trading only proves the people in charge of this team have no concept of how to run a team or make deals or look for what the team needs... its just "sign" "sign" "sign" or trade for garbage.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Hockey Duckie

Theridion

I have to say you need to pause for a moment. What kind of team should the Angels be? There are two extremes: long ball and small ball. (Okay, maybe not extremes, but closely followed philosophies.) Then you get variations. Cheap teams follow the small ball philosophy because they can't afford the big bats.

Small ball is playing baseball where you manufacture runs because you lack power hitters. That means you are bunting a lot, stealing a lot, going from first to third a lot, and sacrifice a lot. You are doing a lot of hit and runs. Most of the game is micro-managed.

Long ball is playing to the strength of your power hitters hitting homeruns, doubles, and triples. There is less chances of stealing and pushing your runners from first to third.

Bullpen:
Yes, they've sucked recently. Last season they traded for Frieri. That helped a lot and a worthwhile trade. This offseason they did go after Burnett and Madson. Unfortunately, Burnett has been snake bitten by injury and Madson is still waiting for his chance to get back into form from Tommy John surgery.

Starting pitching:
Last season, we made a trade with KC to acquire Greinke. Yet, with Greinke we still did not make the playoffs. We had three aces last season with Weaver, Wilson and Greinke with Haren and Santana. Yet, that pitching staff was very expensive, which doesn't include re-signing Greinke.
So this season we jettisoned Haren and Santana. For what seems less than one of either Haren or Santana's salary we picked up Vargas, Blanton, and Hanson. With the spare change we also got Burnett and Madson.

Pitchers, starting pitchers, are hard to come by. Also, they only pitch once every five games. Logically, getting a hitter, who affects a majority more of games, would be a better purchase. At least, that's what I think they were thinking.

Acquiring Hamilton, who was an MVP challenger the past few years, seemed like an awesome way to go. This is the same Hamilton who, if his eyes didn't betray him in the last part of the season, would have made sure Cabrera would not have achieved the triple crown.

Pujols, Ianetta, Hamilton, and Callaspo are the only positional players that are not home grown. Trout, Trumbo, Borjous, Aybar, Kendrick, and Conger are from the system.

As for pitching... we traded away a lot of young prospects for Dan Haren, but we did so because we had Nick Adenhart making his way up the system. That's a very sore spot for me because Nick died in a car accident from a drunk driver. He was supposed to be our third ace from our farm (Weaver and Santana are the first two at the time).

Prospects take time to develop, unless you're Mike Trout or Bryce Harper. Some of our top positional prospects were buried behind Aybar and Kendrick, who recently signed long term extensions. We traded for Frieri with one and some pitching. We also traded for Greinke with Segura. We also traded Morales for Vargas. We did have some very good trades, but nothing coming to fruition, yet.

Truthfully, our farm team hasn't been garnering a lot of great prospects. Well, we can't really say that considering how young Trout, Trumbo, Borjous, Aybar, and Conger are. But we are lacking in top pitching prospects. We have two hitters with power in Lindsay and Cron, but they're a season or two away. I think Cron can be trade bait. Pitching will be a waiting game. We have Maronde setting up to be starting pitcher. RJ Alvarez is coming along fast for a closer. Yet, they're very young. The org just drafted seven straight pitchers this past draft, but don't expect to see any of them for the next five years.

As for tweaking, there have been lots. Remember, the first thing the new GM did was acquire a catcher of his taste, Ianetta. At least he can hit and get on base often. Acquiring Vargas was great, but the thought behind Vargas, Hanson, and Blanton was that they are fly ball pitchers who will pitch in pitcher friendly Anaheim stadium. With an outfield of three center fielders of Trout, Borjous, and Hamilton, those pitchers were made for Anaheim stadium. It makes sense.

Only problem is we haven't been hitting it well enough to win games. I know our pitching is average, but we all knew that. THe gamble was the hitting. We're losing that gamble.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Fighter
Legend

If you missed the game vs Pittsburgh... you are lucky. Brining new meanings to bullpen meltdown.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
If you missed the game vs Pittsburgh... you are lucky. Brining new meanings to bullpen meltdown.
Also... an odd brain fart in the bottom of the 10th.

If Schuck (on first base) was given the green light to take 2nd base, then that hit into left field by Harris would have drove Schuck home and tied the game. Instead, Schuck stayed on first to possibly give Trout the chance to win the game. Trout struck out. Ouch. He went 0-5 for the game. We go 3 out of 4 vs Seattle only to follow it by getting swept by the Pirates. We so suck. Argh! Why do I stay glued to the panel?! Oh... forgot, I'm still a fan. heh ::: sigh :::

Old
06-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

Five in a row isn't bad.

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
Five in a row isn't bad.
Shhhhhhhhhh... ::: quietly whispering::: "Not out loud."

Old
06-29-2013, 10:55 PM
DarthYenik

Hamilton kind of sucks at the plate, but he makes our outfield probably the best defensively in the majors. Trout, Bourjos and Hamilton have made highlight reel catches that'll probably go down as top plays on many end of season countdowns.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:29 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
Hamilton kind of sucks at the plate, but he makes our outfield probably the best defensively in the majors. Trout, Bourjos and Hamilton have made highlight reel catches that'll probably go down as top plays on many end of season countdowns.
Don't forget about his base running speed. In the first game of the Houston series, Hambone ran quickly to second base preventing an automatic out at 2nd base which eventually lead to scores (gwg)#3 and #4. ... Did I just use a hockey term to describe a game winning score for baseball? LoL

Old
07-03-2013, 03:49 AM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

Seven is pretty good. I mean, I don't have that many fingers.

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:01 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
Seven is pretty good. I mean, I don't have that many fingers.
Ummm... I don't know if you meant that as a joke or you don't possess a hand and I don't want to be mean to say anything. So........... I'll just say, " Yay for wins!"

Old
07-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Hockey Duckie

You can faintly hear the "Jaws" theme song in the background slowly increasing in volume. .500 is not that far away.

Here are a few key players missing right now:
CF Bourjos - fractured wrist due to hit-by-pitch (HBP); he's hitting about .333 average with an on-base % of .392, which is the second highest on the team behind two time All-Star Mike Trout.

Starting Pitcher Vargas - before discovering a clot in his arm (forgot the specific location... I think it was armpit), the lefty was the Angels' best pitcher out of the whole line up! He had the best ERA on the team before the surgery.

Starting Pitching Hanson - Ehhh... he's been inconsistent. But his recent outing provided wins for the team. In his last five starts, he's only given up more than three runs once; the bad part is he only goes about 5.1 innings and put up no runs once. Still, he does provide some stability, right? At least he will last five innings whereas some of our spot starters cannot get out of the second inning!

Relief pitcher Burnett - I don't know too much about him aside from the offseason reports that this guy is shut down guy. He's been oft injured this whole season as he's appeared in only 13 games pitching a total of 9.2 innings worth of outs. Essentially facing a minimum of 2 batters per outing. So far nothing noteworthy until I post his ERA... drum roll, please! 0.93 ERA. WTF?! That fool better get healthy soon! We need him in the line up so we can promote Williams or Richards or both to the starting pitching positions to help out eroding starting roster!

Closer Madson - There's so much hype about this guy. He didn't pitch last year as he had Tommy John's surgery (surgery to repair his throwing arm) and is expected to be available around...ohhhh about now. But that's the thing about TJ surgery/recovery is it is different for each pitcher. We're gambling with this contract that a) he'll recover halfway through the season and b) we'll be in playoff contention to which we will need him more so. I'm soooo hoping the gamble pays off.

Sure, the Angels are 9 games back of first place in the AL West, but in the last 15 days the Angels are 10 - 3. That's a 76.9% winning rate for the past 15 days. Granted, that's a very small sample (about 14% of the games played), but that's much higher than the 34-43 record before the the last 13 games, which is a winning percentage of 44.1%. Okay, that's not really a winning rate, but if the Angels continue on this torrid pace, then I might have to invoke the "unsustainable" mantra! If those players return to the club sooner than later, then their presence will help reach that unsustainable threshold.

Until then... everything's hush-huh and whisper. ::: quietly saying, "Go Angels." :::

Old
07-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Nose of Sutter

Anyone see the implosion tonight? This team isn't going anywhere until Dipoto and Scocia fix the pitching. I mean Hanson had a good outing tonight, and getting Vargas back will help but the staff needs a lot of help, especially in the pen. I'm shocked Mike Butcher still has a job, firing Mickey Hatcher turned the hitting around last year whose to say firing Butcher won't at least help a little with the pitching, although it's probably too late for any substantial changes this year.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose of Sutter View Post
Anyone see the implosion tonight? This team isn't going anywhere until Dipoto and Scocia fix the pitching. I mean Hanson had a good outing tonight, and getting Vargas back will help but the staff needs a lot of help, especially in the pen. I'm shocked Mike Butcher still has a job, firing Mickey Hatcher turned the hitting around last year whose to say firing Butcher won't at least help a little with the pitching, although it's probably too late for any substantial changes this year.
Are you serious? Did you watch the whole game? Did you know the coaches forced an unnecessary hit-and-run with one out in the sixth with Trumbo on deck? Did you know that Schuck hit into a double play on the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded and only one out (redundant b/c I said double play). The defense was awkward and could have kept the game tied at 2.

Stop with this nonsense of blaming the pitching when the offense can't even get on track. If this team cannot give our pitchers run support, then we're dead in the water.

Momentum was blown last night. Just like a hockey team PK'ing a two-man advantage.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
Are you serious? Did you watch the whole game? Did you know the coaches forced an unnecessary hit-and-run with one out in the sixth with Trumbo on deck? Did you know that Schuck hit into a double play on the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded and only one out (redundant b/c I said double play). The defense was awkward and could have kept the game tied at 2.

Stop with this nonsense of blaming the pitching when the offense can't even get on track. If this team cannot give our pitchers run support, then we're dead in the water.

Momentum was blown last night. Just like a hockey team PK'ing a two-man advantage.
Fair enough, I was out on a limb blaming the pitching for everything. Weaver had a great outing today so maybe there is something to build on, even if it was 1-0 I'll take it. Looks like Scocia has finally pulled the plug on Blanton and placed Richards in the rotation. Getting Hamilton back in the lineup should help whenever he comes back and when Vargas comes back hopefully Williams will go back to the pen.

The more I think about it I'm beginning to think its a coaching and front office problem rather than blaming everything on the players. I love Scocia but I'm starting to think he might need to go at season's end.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote