HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lens Flare-free OT thread.

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yeah, he wants to do Tae Kwon Do. So does his sister.
If you don't mind my asking what school did you look at? There are several in the area. I did a decent amount of research before choosing the school my son is in so if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
BowieSabresFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Yes I can. I would get a pension at 20 years. But my hope was to get promoted to Lieutenant. As a Lt. you have options off the line that you don't have as a firefighter, like Fire Prevention. Those are the guys that inspect buildings to make sure they are up to fire code. There are other similar things like working at the Training Bureau. If you stay on the line as a Lt. you do slightly less physical work. For example on EMS calls youre doing the pre-hospital paperwork while your crew is treating the patient.

But the mayor has been playing games and finding new ways to stick it to us.

I was 51st on the last Lieutenant list that expired last May. Normally 45-60 LTs. are promoted off each list that usually lasts 4 years. But the mayor got caught trying to force guys on the list to donate to his campaign fund. So he responded by letting the list expire with 8 openings not filled. I would have been #7 of the 8 spots filled.

So I studied for the next Lt. exam and I finished 21st. Normally that as guaranteed promotion that high up. But the mayor has refused to promote since getting caught last year. So there are currently 18 Lieutenant spots not filled. Its incredibly frustrating with all the studying and preparations I put in for each exam to be at the whim of that *******.

Not to mention not promoting is also a dangerous game by the mayor. They've hired 150 or so firefighters in the last 4 years. A good chunk of them are working on crews with each other and in some cases no officer is permanently assigned to those crews. Its scary going to a fire knowing one of the crews responding may not know what to do when they get there. But the mayor could care less. He and his Deputy Steve Casey are petty and vindictive *******s.

This, along with a lot of other crap they've pulled, has created a lot of bitterness in the department. If I don't get promoted off this Lt. list and Brown is still mayor. I highly doubt I will even bother studying for the next promotional exam.

Sorry for the rant.
That just... ahh, there aren't any words for crap like that.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:56 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
It's so hard leaving my little one at daycare while I work, but I know it is the right thing for our family. Her daycare has weekly themes, where they learn and do daily projects targeted for her age level. I swear she learns so much stuff from her daycare.

When I start to feel guilty about our arrangement, it's a nice reassurance when our daughter smiles when we asked about school, shows us the bumblebee she painted in class and starts buzzing around the room.
Well, pix is a stay at home mom and I have a schedule that is not too demanding (three month vacation starts tomorrow, woo!) so we spend a lot of time with our kids. So when school time comes...I dunno, is "gleefully kicking them out of the door" too harsh?

Old
05-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
If you don't mind my asking what school did you look at? There are several in the area. I did a decent amount of research before choosing the school my son is in so if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.
At the moment, I think we have the 2-week freebie at Master Chong's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Well, pix is a stay at home mom and I have a schedule that is not too demanding (three month vacation starts tomorrow, woo!) so we spend a lot of time with our kids. So when school time comes...I dunno, is "gleefully kicking them out of the door" too harsh?
Not in the slightest.

05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
At the moment, I think we have the 2-week freebie at Master Chong's.
That's where my son goes. They have great schools ran by great people. Plus Grand Master Chong is a huge name in the world of Tae Kwon Do.

Which school you check out? Transit or Niagara Falls Blvd?

If you happen to sign up let me know. I'd had you list us a who referred you so my son would get referral credit.

In all seriousness... It's a commitment but a good one in my opinion based on what I've seen my son get out of it. Clearly it has to be your decision and what's best for you and your kids.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:00 PM
dma0034

So using a Buffalo Bills analogy in an interview only leads to bad results

Old
05-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
So using a Buffalo Bills analogy in an interview only leads to bad results
Are there any Bills analogies that don't have to do with failure?

Old
05-15-2013, 08:28 PM
kirby11

The Great Gatsby (the movie) was surprisingly good. It can't touch the book, but it was better than I imagined it would be. Leo, Carey Mulligan, and Joel Edgerton (Gatsby, Daisy, and Tom, respectively) all captured their characters as fitzgerald wrote them IMO. Tobey Maguire underwhelmed me as nick carraway, though. The soundtrack and settings were well put together, too.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:38 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
The Great Gatsby (the movie) was surprisingly good. It can't touch the book, but it was better than I imagined it would be. Leo, Carey Mulligan, and Joel Edgerton (Gatsby, Daisy, and Tom, respectively) all captured their characters as fitzgerald wrote them IMO. Tobey Maguire underwhelmed me as nick carraway, though. The soundtrack and settings were well put together, too.
I don't really understand how this happened, but I survived all of high school and college without ever having to read it.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:56 PM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I don't really understand how this happened, but I survived all of high school and college without ever having to read it.
Me too.

Though that was probably because we spent 3 months on the 110 pages of Lord of the Flies.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:01 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
I started the book on my own time at some point after I graduated....I never really got into it. I do like DiCaprio though so I figure I'll catch the movie at some point.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
Me too.

Though that was probably because we spent 3 months on the 110 pages of Lord of the Flies.
It's quite funny the number of "classic high school books" that I managed to avoid as assigned reading. Catcher in the Rye (though I read that on my own), Lord of the Flies, anything by Steinbeck, 1984 (read on my own), Animal Farm, anything by Twain, Moby Dick...

Old
05-15-2013, 09:18 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
It's quite funny the number of "classic high school books" that I managed to avoid as assigned reading. Catcher in the Rye (though I read that on my own), Lord of the Flies, anything by Steinbeck, 1984 (read on my own), Animal Farm, anything by Twain, Moby Dick...
Heh, yeah I had two of those (Catcher in the Rye and Of Mice and Men), read Brave New World instead of 1984...also did To Kill a Mockingbird (great), Ordinary People (bleh)....and other than a Shakespeare play a year (not counting AP Language - I did R+J, Othello, and Twelfth Night) I can't even remember which other books (if any) I read for high school.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Heh, yeah I had two of those (Catcher in the Rye and Of Mice and Men), read Brave New World instead of 1984...also did To Kill a Mockingbird (great), Ordinary People (bleh)....and other than a Shakespeare play a year (not counting AP Language - I did R+J, Othello, and Twelfth Night) I can't even remember which other books (if any) I read for high school.
Brave New World I got to on my own.

Did read To Kill a Mockingbird (That one might be the toughest to avoid). Shakespeare was R+J, MacBeth, Midsummer Night's Dream, Richard III, and King Lear.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:05 PM
PlamsUnlimited
Get in the Boat Pls

vCash: 476
Hi everyone

Old
05-15-2013, 11:12 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Just a few random thoughts catching up on the OT thread while planning a double-date with Manti Te'o this weekend...

Quote:
psst...it was a joke based on ambiguous antecendents in your last post...the "her" in the last part being construed as your sister, not your mother
Great name for a garage band...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Whatever. You smell like my grandma.
I have my father's eyesight, and my mother's smell. I think the only thing I got from my grandma was (mild for me) narcolepsy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Fun fact ... My wife's great great great grandfather was Colonel James "Jim" Bowie.
That's damn cool. Died at the Alamo, IIRC.
Quote:
That's awesome.

My 19 month old handed Clock a picture of a stop sign the other day and said "octagon". She can't even say her name correctly, but she knows octagon. I'm thinking rhombus is next.
It's "oh so cute" now, but just wait until she fishes a turd out of the bowl, and runs around yelling "oblate spheroid" before hurling it on the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Odd, Nolan got octagon really quick too.

I had a talk with his teacher at daycare yesterday. He's one of the oldest kids in his class, and we both got the sense that he's actually BORED at daycare because he is so far past the activities the little kids are doing. They're all 2.5-3 year olds, but I think it's time to start thinking about preschool for the little man considering he's more or less potty trained....

I dunno how to feel about that yet.
Have him start bullying the younger ones now, as practice for the future day he battles Clock Jr. (Stopwatch?) mano-a-mano in a daycare battle. (Pack-N-Play cage match on Pay-Per-View)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
presenting girl 3 to the parents.

scary stuff.

scaaaaryyyyy
I know what you mean. If they reject her, your crestfallen. If they accept her, you have to sacrifice her at the top of a Mayan jungle pyramid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I'm a big believer in early childhood ed. I've read studies that have shown that getting pre-k education is a big predictor of success later in life. We've had both our kids in half day programs since the day they turned 3 and full day programs starting at 4 and a half.
I'd wholeheartedly believe that, but I'd also be suspicious about the risk of "correlation vs. causation" unless such studies block for income, parental involvement, and similar factors.
Quote:
It's so hard leaving my little one at daycare while I work, but I know it is the right thing for our family. Her daycare has weekly themes, where they learn and do daily projects targeted for her age level. I swear she learns so much stuff from her daycare.

When I start to feel guilty about our arrangement, it's a nice reassurance when our daughter smiles when we asked about school, shows us the bumblebee she painted in class and starts buzzing around the room.
That's when you whip out your 11x17" printed .xls spreadsheet with conditional-formatted cells in a colorful butterfly pattern, dance around the room, and crush her sense of self-worth. Far better to learn those lessons earlier in life, than later.
Quote:
I read a decent amount of Bill Watterson (Essential Calvin & Hobbes, Authoritative Calvin & Hobbes, etc.,) but never got around to Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:15 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Just a few random thoughts catching up on the OT thread while planning a double-date with Manti Te'o this weekend...

Great name for a garage band...

I have my father's eyesight, and my mother's smell. I think the only thing I got from my grandma was (mild for me) narcolepsy.

That's damn cool. Died at the Alamo, IIRC.

It's "oh so cute" now, but just wait until she fishes a turd out of the bowl, and runs around yelling "oblate spheroid" before hurling it on the wall.

Have him start bullying the younger ones now, as practice for the future day he battles Clock Jr. (Stopwatch?) mano-a-mano in a daycare battle. (Pack-N-Play cage match on Pay-Per-View)

I know what you mean. If they reject her, your crestfallen. If they accept her, you have to sacrifice her at the top of a Mayan jungle pyramid.

I'd wholeheartedly believe that, but I'd also be suspicious about the risk of "correlation vs. causation" unless such studies block for income, parental involvement, and similar factors.

That's when you whip out your 11x17" printed .xls spreadsheet with conditional-formatted cells in a colorful butterfly pattern, dance around the room, and crush her sense of self-worth. Far better to learn those lessons earlier in life, than later.

I read a decent amount of Bill Watterson (Essential Calvin & Hobbes, Authoritative Calvin & Hobbes, etc.,) but never got around to Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons.
Srs comment in the multi-post? I iz confused!

Old
05-15-2013, 11:27 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Srs comment in the multi-post? I iz confused!
Keeping the OT readers on their toes.
Our children are our future.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:07 AM
dma0034

Star Trek: Into Darkness will probably be the best movie of the year. After being disappointed with Iron Man 3 I'm glad the one movie I knew would be good came through.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:17 AM
oldgoalie
hopeful oldtimer

Thanks for the segue BG.

Our second child graduates tomorrow with his Bachelor's degree. He is immediately studying for his CPA and will sit for that cert sometime next month.
We get to move his crap back home in the next week or so. For his mom and I, we are finally done with forms and money, and books and money, and apartment crap and money, and, did I mention money?

Both children gainfully employed. Mom and Dad done with all education grind. Having two grown children done and out of college puts a different spin on things.
To all you parents with kids out there, one final bit of wisdom. College is ****ing expensive. You are nickeled and dimed to death with crap; fees, parking passes ($250 for a parking pass? Really?), etc. And the ink is not even dry on the diploma and you are being hit up to donate to this alumni thing and that alumni thing.

Wait a minute. I didn't go to your school, our kids did. Here's their phone numbers. Please call them. Preferably in the middle of dinner.
Thank you.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Star Trek: Into Darkness will probably be the best movie of the year. After being disappointed with Iron Man 3 I'm glad the one movie I knew would be good came through.
I've seen many comments saying that if you liked the original movies that this one might not do it for you.

I really wasn't a huge fan of the first one. It was OK, but it wasn't Star Trek. It was a bunch of guys running around at breakneck pace for two hours with lens flare. Sure, it was entertaining, but I couldn't relate to the "THIS MOVIE IS FANTASTIC" stuff.

It doesn't help that I think JJ Abrahms is the most overrated director out there right now.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Afino
The Juice

OMG LENS FLARE

I agree that he is overrated, but the endless *****ing about lens flare is a tired argument. I honestly don't care.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Afino
The Juice

Also, this one looks like "Benedict Cumberbatch saves a popcorn movie flick from total disaster."

AKA, another non-ST movie. I did find the first enjoyable. But honestly, these trailers aren't doing it for me.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I started the book on my own time at some point after I graduated....I never really got into it. I do like DiCaprio though so I figure I'll catch the movie at some point.
This. Although I think DiCaprio is aging horribly. He is even hard to look at. What shape is his head????

Old
05-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Today I discovered that Nolan has memorized "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?"

I opened it up, and I didn't read it to him, he read it to ME. Turned each page and told me what was on it
How many books have you memorized?

It's been a few years, so I forget the name, but there was one book my kids really liked that I had memorized after reading it a few hundred times.

Closed Thread