Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Managing the salary cap

04-17-2013, 02:11 PM
vCash: 500
Managing the salary cap

Now that this league has a a hard cap, how do you think your teams will manage it?

We have had 2 threads of players referencing they are asking for $5M+ per year as a UFA but frankly that is too much for them.

With a hard cap now you have to financially plan your team out and slot players and their roles into Salary.

This is my opnion...if you think it should be different then discuss....

I see the $64.3M cap broken down as :

$3.3M for call ups + deadline deals
$36M for the 14 forward positions
$25M for the 7 Dmen and 2 G.

breaking it down further

Goalies: $5M starterm $1M for the backup =$6M
Defense: top 4 avg $4M per bottom 3 $1M per = $19M

1st line: $15M total
2nd line: $10M total
3rd line: $7M total
5 others: $4M total
Offense: $36M total

If you have younger goalies or Dmen this would give you more room to add salary to players on the top 2 lines.

you cant pay all the top 6 forwards $5M per year unless you have alot of cheap goalies and Dmen playing below their salary targets.

flame away.....

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
04-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Free rent for Mo?
vCash: 50
I don't think there's any reason to flame. Some might have different numbers but it all has to add up to the same in the end. Personally, only 3 dmen need be really good at what they do. The other 3 just have to be non consequential to the team. If you can pay your 4th line 3 m, and your 3rd line 6 or under, paying your top 3 dmen around 12-15, and a goaltender what they are actually worth, (think Reimer- 3.5-4m maybe) you can pretty much pay what you want for your top 6

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
04-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Not sure what you mean with "now", the NHL has had a hard cap since 05/06. As for how teams will deals with a decreasing cap, that's certainly an interesting thing to look at, though I don't see teams setting up a plan of how much they can spend on which area of the team. It will always depend on the talent available to the team.

I would think that teams will look at what they have, plan for resigning players in the near future and then go after the odd player who may help fix a current weakness on the roster instead of seperating the different parts of the team. I don't see fixed amounts of money going into certain lines, as performances can be way too dynamic to clearly define most players, especially on the lower lines.

If teams have a bit of capspace left for a short time before expensive resignings need to be done, teams may put more money than warranted into players who can fill a current need for the short term. Having a complete plan of how much you can spend on which area of the team would work if you would start a team from scratch, but it's difficult to apply such a plan when large parts of the team are already in place.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
04-17-2013, 05:11 PM
The Fuhr*
35 million dollars on forwards
20 million dollars on defense
6 million dollars on goaltending
3 million in space for call ups, injuries

That's how I would allocate my funds

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote